PDA

View Full Version : Sweed says he is ready to go

JensK
04-19-2010, 05:45 PM
on my cellphone right now so cant post the link (on postgazette), but sweed said he is all over his "personal problems " and ready to have a great 2010 year. He also said thanks for all the support everybody has giving him...

Not much to sat but SWEEEEEEEEEEED!!! :cope:

K Train
04-19-2010, 05:52 PM
im still on board

sweed: taking the league by storm 2010-2011

BlitzburghRockCity
04-19-2010, 05:53 PM
I'll believe that when I see it...this is year #3, this is his last shot guaranteed. Either he shows up and catches everything that comes his way or he'll be hitting the happy trail before training camp is even over or at the very most by the end of the 2010 season.

If he can get his act together, he's got the physical build to be successful. We need all hands on deck in the WR corp this year to pick up Holmes slack.

SteelCityKid5
04-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Good God I hope he develops this year! Im pulling for him!!

LatrobePA
04-19-2010, 06:08 PM
im still on board

sweed: taking the league by storm 2010-2011

Yes sir, now all we'll need is a QB to get him the ball for the first few games. All kidding aside this could be a break out year for Sweed...

JensK
04-19-2010, 06:13 PM
all sweed needs is a chance imo... A Wr needs some snaps to get into a rythm, and he never got that. He would get in for one play, totally destroy coverage and drop the ball. Give him a few games to get into a rythm and he will be great... Even almighty Wallace made some major mistakes in the first few games, but he still got snaps to devolope...

K Train
04-19-2010, 06:17 PM
all sweed needs is a chance imo... A Wr needs some snaps to get into a rythm, and he never got that. He would get in for one play, totally destroy coverage and drop the ball. Give him a few games to get into a rythm and he will be great... Even almighty Wallace made some major mistakes in the first few games, but he still got snaps to devolope...

this is nearly word for word out of my mouth. hes not a come in cold and make a big splash player. if we needed him on the field and forced him to play, feel out the defense, get into a rhythm and get opportunities besides just the cold plays he would be a different player today, but we didnt...now we might

cmerrifield
04-19-2010, 06:17 PM
We need Sweed to step up, he will get his chance, I am looking forward to seeing him play again this year

SnakeEyes43
04-19-2010, 06:22 PM
this is nearly word for word out of my mouth. hes not a come in cold and make a big splash player. if we needed him on the field and forced him to play, feel out the defense, get into a rhythm and get opportunities besides just the cold plays he would be a different player today, but we didnt...now we might

Exactly, every "chance" that he has had has been a "come in cold and catch this hail mary" type of play. I am excited to see Sweed this year.

Bones
04-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Hopefully he's ready to take advantage of the opportunity. Someone needs to step up and be a playmaker.

Captcoolhand
04-19-2010, 06:27 PM
good to see him back but this may be a make/break for him

HUNT4SEVEN
04-19-2010, 06:54 PM
He better be:rant2: he is such a awesome talent, i just hope he put's it all together this year, now is his time to shine...i'm hoping he has a break out year this year:tt02: he has the tools to be a great reciever in this league:yesnod:I'm pulling for u SWEED:clap:

cmerrifield
04-19-2010, 06:55 PM
MT said that he made significant strides and improvements this offseason and has been working hard. So we will see, I think he will come around.

Zachintosh66
04-19-2010, 07:04 PM
None of us every doubted him :lol:

nuclearchihuahuas
04-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Any one know what his "personal issues" were?

SteelJunkie
04-19-2010, 07:13 PM
I hope he can actually catch, I can only handle yelling about 1 player a game. That is usually Gay.

andyg1984
04-19-2010, 07:26 PM
i will be an optimist, but what did you expect him to say?

Steel Trap86
04-19-2010, 07:27 PM
I like Sweed and I hope he has a breakout year, but when the Superbowl was on the line he didn't play up to his potential and could have cost us the game. So I'm wondering what it was that got him past his issues, when the superbowl wasn't enough for his rookie *** lol

Black@Gold Forever32
04-19-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm still high on Limas Sweed....With Holmes gone there is a huge void at WR so I'm hoping Sweed finally has his break out year.......

coldrolled
04-19-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm still high on Limas Sweed....With Holmes gone there is a huge void at WR so I'm hoping Sweed finally has his break out year.......

dixon and sweed will need break out years. steelers 4-0 and 4 tds for sweed the first 4 games... the afcn goes silent... ben is humbled...

LatrobePA
04-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Sweed, Wallace, Ward, El, Tate...

75Steeler
04-19-2010, 08:06 PM
I hope this kid does put whatever issues he has in the past and can start catching the ball.

Big T
04-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Thats what Im saying...They need to get him the ball. Come on man, don't f*ck this up...I still love you but you're killing me...

75Steeler
04-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Thats what Im saying...They need to get him the ball. Come on man, don't f*ck this up...I still love you but you're killing me...

I couldn't have said it better myself.....:lol:

igor0190
04-19-2010, 10:15 PM
:tt02:
Let's show the kid some support out at training camp this year!

Real Deal Steel
04-19-2010, 11:45 PM
I think Sweed will earn his super this season. These are the type of situations when a guy who wants a chance, steps up and earns it. And Sweed as the skills to do just that.

Big T
04-20-2010, 01:12 AM
I guess im going to have to change my avater soon....Ive read on multiple websites and forums, including wikipedia, tha Limas is switching his number from 14 to 80 for this year...i dont know if its a permanent change or just this season...

I like it....new Limas, new number...Bring back Plax's number 80...it didnt look right on Cedric Wilson...It'll look good on Limas...Limas Sweed about to take that #1 reciever spot lol...but seriously, Limas and Mike Wallace on the outside with Hines in the slot...sounds good to me.

Blazedby92
04-20-2010, 07:36 AM
MT said that he made significant strides and improvements this offseason and has been working hard. So we will see, I think he will come around.

He also said Steelers were going to unleash hell too. Did that happen?

Any one know what his "personal issues" were?

CAN'T CATCH

i will be an optimist, but what did you expect him to say?

:clap: :plus1::plus1:

I will cheer for him but I don't think anything is going to change.

And the thing with him going in cold, That was his job to come off the bench and catch "Seize the Oppretunity"
Getting in a rythem definently helps but of course he's going to catch SOME thrown his way if you keep throwing him the ball.
On the other hand we need him so I will :crossfingers: and :cope: for him to do good but I am pretty sure it's a lost cause.

cmerrifield
04-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah, but Sweed has been working hard, that is the most important thing. Its not like Sweed cant get open or that he hasnt learned the routes, the complaint is that he is missing wide open catches, that can be fixed. Last preseason he made a couple of catches over the middle that were incredible, flashing that potential that he has. He will contribute significantly to the offense this year.

TampaSteelGirl
04-20-2010, 09:59 AM
If Ben gets another chance.....why not Sweed?!? I hope he has a breakout year! :tt02:

75Steeler
04-20-2010, 10:49 AM
It's not like he is taking the field tomorrow. We still have a long way to go before the regular season. OTAs, Mini camp, training camp and a bunch of practices and pre season. Give him a ton of reps and maybe he can get it together.

ejsteeler
04-20-2010, 12:14 PM
I don't think we'll ever know exactly what happened last year and all the details involved. His talent begs for another chance. It's this year or bust on this tema for him and I am pulling for him.

Blazedby92
04-20-2010, 12:20 PM
"the complaint is that he is missing wide open catches"

Now ask yourself this, What is the typical job for a WR? "the complaint is that he is missing
WIDE OPEN catches"
He's a young Roy Willams and they even went to the same school and Sweed ALMOST broke Roys receiving records. Good in college, Too much pressure in the NFL for both of them and that tells me Sweed isn't clutch in pressure situations. This year will be his last chance.

Dobre Shunka
04-20-2010, 01:12 PM
We'll find out.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2010, 01:24 PM
I think it's safe to say that we'll all be cheering for him, assuming he doesn't blow it in camp and not even make the team. Given the fact that Holmes is gone, unless we draft a WR pretty high, it's a fair bet he'll be here for 2010 though I would imagine. Still, if this kid doesn't become a clutch player and actually show that he can be counted upon to do more than drop the ball or watch himself on the big screen, he'll be a goner.

Blazedby92
04-20-2010, 01:58 PM
watch himself on the big screen

I forgot about that:lol: It wasn't funny at the time but it was like he was enamored with himself on the tv. WOW mom look I'm on TV

RUN FORREST RUN and don't forget to catch the damn ball!!!
Must of been the LYME disease

Sir Blitzelot
04-20-2010, 03:00 PM
I was a big fan of Sweed's when he was at Texas, it's a shame that his pro career has yet to take shape... But he is still young, and I think he is poised to have a big season this year. With Santonio's departure, this kid had been given a second chance... I just hope he makes the best of it.

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-20-2010, 07:45 PM
We all have to be honest with ourselves. Sweed has had ample chances to prove himself to the TEAM ! Not to the fans . Maybe that is what he's thinking . He left the fans down . He left the team down for sure . But the fans ? Maybe that gave him a complex , or maybe he needed eye surgery instead of glasses . He still has a shot to nail this thing . I wish him all the best . If that man can draw double coverage , we could be devistating on offense . The truth always comes out , but it must be something that is nondetrimental to the team , so of course we would not know about it . This is not a rumour , but i do remember he had some eye trouble , and what if he had it taken care of quietly ? Maybe Tone was holdin him back . I think it still has to do with his eyes , and it was personal .

BFISHIN80
04-21-2010, 01:23 AM
Im not a sweed fan...I dont think he has what it takes in a pressure situation....Arnaz Battle has better freakin hands. I would have loved if the Steelers would have signed holt to a one year deal........to late.

Dobre Shunka
04-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Wow, he was an incredible threat down there in TX, when his wrist was working. I thought he would be incredible, still has a chance to be a great receiver.

In the end, the pessimist are right, in the sense that you have to prove it at the next level, which he has yet to do. Agree also, time is running out but still let's see what happens this season.

I guess, we'll find out if he can make the magic happen on the grid this year.

Captcoolhand
04-21-2010, 09:56 AM
I'll be 1st to admit, up until he was drafted, I never knew nothing about him.
I've read alot, seen alot, can bitch about it as much as anyone. But 1 thing I havn't heard anyone talk much about is Sweeds toughness.

Sure we all seen the great block he made and all but I often wonder if Sweed biggest problem isn't that he's afraid to get tackled.

He knows the routes, he able to get open, He can catch i'm sure but could he just be psyched out about the hit he's going to take after he catches the ball...:dunno: I'm just saying...

Maybe instead of having him practice catching the ball, hire a guy to tackle him soon after he makes the catch. Maybe you can tuffen him up enough than when he does take a tackle on the field he can get up saying, "Dude, you hit like a bitch!" :D

Woodson_DownUnder
04-21-2010, 10:09 AM
I find it hard to comprehend why people say Limas Sweed is apprehensive in being tackled. I hope he has overcome his corrective vision alignment that was floated in the media story in his rookie season. I just hope the Steelers WR choice in the draft can be a gem to make up for the 'first round' trade out. Karma needs to prevail. :bunny:

Big Ben to Sweed to win the game over the Ravens.. now that would embrace both players back to Steeler Nation hearts. :crossfingers:

LatrobePA
04-21-2010, 10:11 AM
No one was around him in the EZ during the bungles game, so I can't see the tackling thing scaring him. Maybe but I doubt it, I just think he was scared to screw up and like Train said, he was put in COLD.....

Steelers58
04-25-2010, 08:24 AM
I live in Missouri so don't always get the hometown scoop. What's the real story on Limas for his "non-injury" related hiatus?

I hope for his sake he gets things on track. And it would be nice for the Steelers too. Our WR corps looks like Dan Marino's smurfs w/Duper, Clayton...

Blazedby92
04-25-2010, 10:57 AM
No one was around him in the EZ during the bungles game, so I can't see the tackling thing scaring him. Maybe but I doubt it, I just think he was scared to screw up and like Train said, he was put in COLD.....

COLD:evilshake::nono:

JensK
05-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Limas Sweed's decision to change to No. 80 is much than just switching jersey numbers.

"It's a new start and a new number," he said Friday. "Can you dig it?"

Sweed hopes the Steelers' coaches dig what they see from a person who labels himself "ready to play some football."

Speaking to the media for the first time since he was placed on the reserve/non-football illness list in December after missing two games with what the team called an undisclosed illness, Sweed said the incident that forced him to miss the final month of the season is no longer an issue.

"I just had some personal things I was going through in my life," he said. "My family and the Steelers helped me get through it. It is water under the bridge. I worked my butt off, and I am ready to get out there and start playing."

Sweed would not say what the illness was but did say he and the organization agreed to cut his season short so he could seek help.

"My family was very supportive, and (the organization) was supportive," he said. "We worked through it, and it is over with."

Fellow receiver Mike Wallace, whose locker is next to Sweed's, said he sees a different man in the way the former Texas star carries himself.

"I see him trying to get better," Wallace said. "He is fighting through all that adversity. ... He's not worried about the past. It looks like he wants to start with a clean slate."

Sweed's brief career with the Steelers appeared to be over after last year. The former second-round draft choice fell out of favor after a handful of key drops during his first two seasons.

He appeared to be the odd man out in March when the Steelers brought in veterans Antwaan Randle El and Arnaz Battle to supplement a position controlled by Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes and Wallace, last year's rookie sensation.

But when the Steelers traded Holmes to the New York Jets, Sweed's career with the club had new life.

"With Santonio gone, it definitely opened up some spots," Sweed said. "It is an open opportunity to come in and make some plays and show what I got."

Sweed has shown flashes of the talent the Steelers fell in love with, but his inconsistency has hurt him tremendously. He had a key drop his rookie year in the AFC title game against Baltimore and again last year at Cincinnati. Both plays would've resulted in touchdowns.

Sweed has played 20 games in two years but has only seven catches and 69 yards and no scores.

"I feel good," he said. "I felt like I am in college again. I feel fresh. I feel young and real confident. I want to relax and play football and have fun."

Wallace said if Sweed can work through some mental demons, he could turn into a valuable asset.

"Y'all have seen him before. Y'all seen him at Texas," Wallace said. "We all know the physical abilities that he has. If he gets through the mental stuff, then the sky is the limit."

scudmissile29
05-01-2010, 09:50 AM
lol 69 yards

LarryNJ
05-01-2010, 09:57 AM
he said Friday. "Can you dig it?"

We can dig 1200 yards and 10 td's! :)

Aussie_Steel58
05-01-2010, 09:57 AM
I guess it's just speculation, but perhaps the nature of Limas Sweed's undisclosed illness was depression-related (or anxiety/panic attacks/stress). This may have been accentuated by his vision-alignment issues and the trouble he's had asserting himself as a viable option in the offense on more than a situational basis. Reports have mentioned the dropping of easy catches and concentration/confidence problems. All that could pretty easily lead to a depressive or anxiety based diagnosis. I hope he's conquered whatever it was, for his own sake and for the team, and that he'll blossom into a vital cog in the Steeler machine this season!

75Steeler
05-01-2010, 01:59 PM
I have never heard such candy *** s**t in my life. "Ben has mental or head problems cause of his crash and taking hits" "Sweed has mental problems" "Jeff Reed has anger issues" (god knows what they are) Mr. Rooney (The Chief) must be rolling in his grave! Do we really need a team shrink in the locker room? It's not like these guys can claim PTSD we aren't sending them off to war.....They play football! So I guess when the season is over every winter we need to send the entire team over to Western Psych to live till the OTAs start again in the spring? Lambert must laugh his *** off when he reads articles about these guys! :rant2:

coldrolled
05-01-2010, 03:14 PM
I have never heard such candy *** s**t in my life. "Ben has mental or head problems cause of his crash and taking hits" "Sweed has mental problems" "Jeff Reed has anger issues" (god knows what they are) Mr. Rooney (The Chief) must be rolling in his grave! Do we really need a team shrink in the locker room? It's not like these guys can claim PTSD we aren't sending them off to war.....They play football! So I guess when the season is over every winter we need to send the entire team over to Western Psych to live till the OTAs start again in the spring? Lambert must laugh his *** off when he reads articles about these guys! :rant2:

we have one, the master of psych... Bruce Arians...

DIESELMAN
05-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Sweed=Featherstone :greengrin:

lloydfan4life
05-01-2010, 05:02 PM
C'mon Limas, I'm pulling for ya! Show us what you got this year! :cope:

DanRooney
05-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Much love for Limas Scissorhands :cope:

coldrolled
05-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Sweed=Featherstone :greengrin:

Sweed = Plaxico this year.

Stlrs4Life
05-02-2010, 10:41 AM
We'll see, I hope so.

nuclearchihuahuas
05-02-2010, 10:59 AM
I remember watching a game that Limas was playing in...don't remember the opponent but what I do remember was Hines Ward on the sidelines watching Sweed play--Hines was out with an injury ... the sideline camera caught Hines saying "He's afraid to get hit" after Limas dropped a pass.

Stlrs4Life
05-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Just received a text from the Steelers, Sweed injured his Achilles in the final work out.