PDA

View Full Version : Steelers would explore trade for Roethlisberger

TampaSteelGirl
04-15-2010, 01:18 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8178b2b1&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Source: Steelers would explore trade for Roethlisberger
By Jason La Canfora | NFL.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers have had no dialogue with other teams about dealing embattled quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, but have had significant internal discussions about the matter, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

According to the source, ownership remains dismayed and embarrassed by Roethlisberger's actions in a Georgia college town this offseason and find his string of other offseason incidents troubling. The team has been monitoring the public backlash against Roethlisberger closely.

"The Rooneys are livid," the source said.

Steelers President Art Rooney, II will meet with the media Thursday at 2:30 p.m. ET to discuss the Roethlisberger situation, but is not expected to make an announcement regarding and sort of suspension or Punishment for Roethlisberger.

Pittsburgh's front office has talked internally about possible trade scenarios that could be feasible and what makes sense for them moving forward, and, according to a source, if other teams called about Roethlisberger they would listen intently.

The Steelers could envision several trade scenarios but are skeptical about other teams taking on Roethlisberger, given his baggage. However, they also realize his contract is very tradeable in an uncapped year, with the bonuses already paid and Roethlisberger signed for six more years at a very manageable salary for a franchise quarterback ($8.05 million in 2010; $11.6 million per year from 2011-2014, and $12.1 million in 2015).

In particular, the Steelers are enamored with likely first-overall pick Sam Bradford. They view him as essentially a sure-thing franchise quarterback and have considered what it would take to move up to the first overall pick in a trade with the Rams, according to a source. They know executing such a move would be highly difficult and figure the Rams have limited interest in Roethlisberger.

Team officials are not worried about how Roethlisberger's return will impact the locker room or how teammates will handle it. The Rooneys' concern is born of the history and prestige of their franchise, the recent fan backlash and public perception about Roethlisberger and their belief that no player is bigger than the team.

However, the source noted that this is not "a Santonio Holmes situation," alluding to Pittsburgh dumping the talented but troubled receiver for a fifth-round pick over the weekend as he faced a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

"This is not a case of having to get rid of this guy,'" the source said. "There would have to be fair value."

Roethlisberger, selected 11th overall in 2004, has performed at an elite level for the Steelers. He is among the winngest quarterbacks ever for his age and already possesses two Super Bowl rings. His size, improvisational skills, and ability to escape the rush and deliver the ball to all parts of the field make him among the very best in the league.

Should Roethlisberger have another off-field misstep, however, his Steelers career would likely be over, according to team and league sources. And, if a legitimate trade scenario materialized, that end could come much sooner.

Teams that are not committed long-term to a starting quarterback include: Buffalo, Cleveland, Oakland, St. Louis, San Francisco, Denver, Carolina, Seattle, Arizona. The Steelers refused to entertain dealing Holmes within the division and that would apply with Roethlisberger as well. A trade would likely have to involve a quarterback or put the Steelers in position to draft one they like (Pittsburgh is high on its young back-up, Dennis Dixon, however).

Finding the right deal is remote, they know, but not necessarily impossible.

LatrobePA
04-15-2010, 01:22 PM
By next Weds. Ben will no longer be a Steeler....Bet ya!!

TampaSteelGirl
04-15-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm sorry...call me a bandwagon fan but if this is true I will boycott this season. I'm not watching one game...I don't care!

LatrobePA
04-15-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm sorry...call me a bandwagon fan but if this is true I will boycott this season. I'm not watching one game...I don't care!

I love the guy on the field, but other than that I've lost a ton of respect for the guy. And I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one...

I'd hate to see him go, but the damage may be unfixable!!

cmerrifield
04-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Keep in mind, this is the same writer who said Hampton would be traded before this past season. Nothing wrong with listening to offers.

TampaSteelGirl
04-15-2010, 01:29 PM
I understand that but this is ridiculous I mean the guy was not convicted, give him a huge fine, suspension and counseling but to trade him is stupid! I'm so upset!

coldrolled
04-15-2010, 01:29 PM

whats the point of moving holmes and ben??

they play for another team, don't they just make the other team look bad?

i dont get the "almighty cleansing" from a trade or release...

the nfl still has them in the league?

it would make sense if they had to go find a job in the cfl and were banned from the nfl.

the steelers are idiots for letting anyone go like this...

TampaSteelGirl
04-15-2010, 01:31 PM

it would make sense if they had to go find a job in the cfl and were banned from the nfl.

I agree! I'm not condoning in anyway what he did but why no punishment the first time...this would be the Steelers most ridiculous move!

LatrobePA
04-15-2010, 01:35 PM

I agree, I just have a feeling it's the end of the line for Ben....

PsychoWard
04-15-2010, 01:40 PM

Thats not the point though... And let me be clear i don't want to see ben go AT ALL!!! but The Rooneys have one of the most respected franchise in all of sports and they will not put up with this ****!!!! I know he hasn't been convicted but he keeps putting himself there! Again i don't want see this happen but you have to think of the tradition that the rooneys have had for years!!!

ejsteeler
04-15-2010, 01:41 PM
As it's been said in the war room, the offers would have to be good and there ARE some good ideas as to how it could happen, however, I think this may be part of the punishment he is to go through. The uncertainty and stress this cause, or one would think it causes. Not sure, either way, it would to be a multi-faceted deal worked out with several teams in advance for this to happen in my mind.

Steel Trap86
04-15-2010, 01:43 PM
if they were going to trade him i doubt he'd be showing up at off-season workouts. while they may explore it, i don't see it happening. he's too good.

RIVERS OF STEEL
04-15-2010, 01:44 PM
no mfn way dude.

PsychoWard
04-15-2010, 01:45 PM
if they were going to trade him i doubt he'd be showing up at off-season workouts. while they may explore it, i don't see it happening. he's too good.

The Rooneys don't care how "good" you are, they just got rid there superbowl mvp cause he failed another drug test!

TampaSteelGirl
04-15-2010, 01:45 PM
But in the same aspect can the Rooneys expect a pristine team???? Santonio had problems before the draft and they drafted him!! domestic violence AND drugs!

What makes me mad about all of this is one CRAZY biatch started this entire thing because she was mad that Ben didn't want anything to do with her. He did not rape her, he hit and ran...did she think he would marry her???? Every player in the NFL has done the exact same thing...granted Ben picked the wrong women to mess around with but he didn't do anything any different than any other player MARRIED or not has done.

One of my friends said Art Jr will announce a 2 game suspension today at 2:30.

K Train
04-15-2010, 01:46 PM
hey like i said yesterday if the price is right.

i wouldnt be shocked to see something go through and being such a draft nerd it would spice my life up a bit lol. it needs to be an earth shattering deal though

coldrolled
04-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Thats not the point though... And let me be clear i don't want to see ben go AT ALL!!! but The Rooneys have one of the most respected franchise in all of sports and they will not put up with this ****!!!! I know he hasn't been convicted but he keeps putting himself there! Again i don't want see this happen but you have to think of the tradition that the rooneys have had for years!!!

dude, i get it. so we suspend holmes and ben for 4 games ourselves. the leagues happy, rooney is happy. we suck it up for a few games and move on. not move on without our quality players and have them playing somewhere else.. if so, then we sign them long term and trade them for what there worth down the road if they dont act right. this other stuff is all nonsense.

PsychoWard
04-15-2010, 01:52 PM
dude, i get it. so we suspend holmes and ben for 4 games ourselves. the leagues happy, rooney is happy. we suck it up for a few games and move on. not move on without our quality players and have them playing somewhere else.. if so, then we sign them long term and trade them for what there worth down the road if they dont act right. this other stuff is all nonsense.

I agree with you! But unfotunetlly the Rooneys don't always think like us!

Big T
04-15-2010, 01:57 PM

That's bullshit....Ben isn't going anywhere

K Train
04-15-2010, 01:58 PM
That's bullshit....Ben isn't going anywhere

im saying a legit 50% chance...if the offer is epic/desperate enough

why not?

all these juniors coming out this year and the WR class next year along with patrick peterson the CB from LSU....now would be the time to do it imo

cmerrifield
04-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Although, Jared Allen got like a 1st, two thirds and switched 6th round picks, or something close, I would say for Ben it would have to be a 1 and 2 second this year, and at least a 1st next year, maybe more

BlackGold4vr
04-15-2010, 02:10 PM
im saying a legit 50% chance...if the offer is epic/desperate enough

why not?

all these juniors coming out this year and the WR class next year along with patrick peterson the CB from LSU....now would be the time to do it imo

I gotta believe that a team like the Rams would be tempted to make this deal. Ben is a proven commodity on the field. You know what you are getting. Bradford is unproven in the NFL. Some have compared him to another Matt Ryan, how many rings does he have? With Ben you get a guy that has already proven he can play in the big games. The only thing IMO that would prevent such a deal from going down is the asking price could be a little too steep for their liking. And if you are the Steelers you do not compromise on this deal. Its either the farm or nothing. If they offered a plethora of picks that included this years #1 and a couple other high picks I believe they (the Steelers) would make the trade. A blockbuster deal like that could elevate the franchise for years to come. The Herschel Walker trade resulted in the 90's Cowboys that won 3 titles. We might even come out of it with a QB that doesn't hold the ball too long and take sacks he shouldn't. If the package was right I would applaud the move.

Steel Trap86
04-15-2010, 02:14 PM
The Rooneys don't care how "good" you are, they just got rid there superbowl mvp cause he failed another drug test!

he's a wide receiver dude, ben is our QB, what do u think you can dial 1-800 and get a new quarterback? one like ben? how many QB's do you think are out there that could survive behind this line we have right now? i don't care how many articles you show me or how many rumors i heard, ben isn't going anywhere.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-15-2010, 02:19 PM
I won't believe this to be case until it happens, which in my opinion it will not...and if it does it will go down as the biggest blunder, worst decision, ever in the history of this team. If they give up on Ben after this with all he's done to revive this franchise in terms of super bowls and post season success...I would never forgive them. Get off your high horse here, nobody cares THAT much here people, it will blow over in time. It's only media news now because it's new but give it time and it will be forgotten.

Not that it would matter what the hell my opinion is in the long run anyways but I'm with Tampa I would seriously consider not watching this team next season.

PsychoWard
04-15-2010, 02:19 PM
he's a wide receiver dude, ben is our QB, what do u think you can dial 1-800 and get a new quarterback? one like ben? how many QB's do you think are out there that could survive behind this line we have right now? i don't care how many articles you show me or how many rumors i heard, ben isn't going anywhere.

There you have it folks!!! He has spoken looks like ben is staying might as well close the thread!!!:clap:

steelcitysfinestXL
04-15-2010, 02:20 PM
I've been a huge Ben fan since day 1... even before day one! But im a Pittsburgh fan first! So for the right price NO ONE is UNtradable... esp. Ben and esp. now.

Ben to the Rams for:
2010 Rams no. 1 overall
2011 Rams 1st rounder

on draft day eve (weds april 21) Call up the Cleveland Browns and trade the first for:

2010 Clev. no 7 overall
2010 Clev. 2nd round 7th pick
2010 Clev. 4th round 7th pick

strong D
04-15-2010, 02:30 PM
damn why isnt ditka coaching anymore hed give us his whole draft lol

BlackGold4vr
04-15-2010, 02:32 PM
I won't believe this to be case until it happens, which in my opinion it will not...and if it does it will go down as the biggest blunder, worst decision, ever in the history of this team. If they give up on Ben after this with all he's done to revive this franchise in terms of super bowls and post season success...I would never forgive them. Get off your high horse here, nobody cares THAT much here people, it will blow over in time. It's only media news now because it's new but give it time and it will be forgotten.

Not that it would matter what the hell my opinion is in the long run anyways but I'm with Tampa I would seriously consider not watching this team next season.

Thats just crazy talk TOPGUN! If the price was right it would be the right move. Nobody is bigger than the team and there is no reason to believe that Ben will learn anything from incident #2 since incident #1 didn't do the trick either. Making a blockbuster deal that involved multiple first and second round picks could set us up for the next decade! Not saying that I want this to happen but if it did I wouldn't ditch my team! It might even save me the conversation with my son about Ben being a rapist but he was a damn good football player.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-15-2010, 02:36 PM
By Jason La Canfora | NFL.com

"...In particular, the Steelers are enamored with likely No. 1 overall draft pick Sam Bradford. They essentially view Bradford as a sure-thing franchise quarterback and have considered what it would take to move up to the No. 1 pick in a trade with the St. Louis Rams, according to a source. However, the Steelers know executing such a move would be highly difficult, and they figure the Rams have limited interest in Roethlisberger."

Oh please god tell me thats just a ploy to eventually trade that pick... tell me IF they do trade Ben to the Rams, Colbert would NOT draft Sam Bradford or Jimmy Claussen!

Steel Trap86
04-15-2010, 02:38 PM
There you have it folks!!! He has spoken looks like ben is staying might as well close the thread!!!:clap:

when ben throws a TD to ward in september i hope you remember you're **** spewing comments of holmes and ben having the same value to the steelers. you're one dizzy f*cker for thinking that lol have a good day ok

TampaSteelGirl
04-15-2010, 02:39 PM
It does sound like the Rooneys will allow Ben to stay a Steeler...I like that he says alot about the fans and OUR respect.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Actually closing this thread is a good idea, otherwise it's going to spiral out of control. We can continue to talk about the press conference and what he said in the press conference thread.

PsychoWard
04-15-2010, 02:47 PM
when ben throws a TD to ward in september i hope you remember you're **** spewing comments of holmes and ben having the same value to the steelers. you're one dizzy f*cker for thinking that lol have a good day ok

Yea cause i compared them in that way?? and very mature by the way go straight to the name calling just because someone had a different opinon than you! Is your last name Lubmer???