PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger joins Steelers workout

75Steeler
04-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger, busy with other matters the past two days, arrived at the Steelers training facility today for his first workout with his teammates.

The Steelers quarterback had not joined his teammates in their spring workouts while awaiting a ruling in Georgia on a sexual assault claim against him. Prosecutors there announced on Monday they would not pursue the case. On Tuesday, Roethlisberger met with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in New York City to discuss matters, including what happened in Georgia.

Steelers veterans have been working out together since March 29, a date coach Mike Tomlin gave them to begin those activities. Tomlin will hold his first two practices -- or organized team activities --- April 19 and 20 and Roethlisberger is expected to participate in those as well.

Read more: http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/10104/1050327-66.stm#ixzz0l5dRUA2t

TampaSteelGirl
04-14-2010, 01:01 PM
:tampa: is very happy to hear this!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Good to see him back in facility with the team; now is the time for everyone to get behind him on this and move forward.

Zachintosh66
04-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Safe to say hes not being traded now... if so he wouldnt be there.

nuclearchihuahuas
04-14-2010, 02:31 PM
I agree--they probably would not have let him in the facility if they were going to trade him...Whew! I know it wasn't all that likely but after Holmes who knows?

Ironman
04-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Good to see him back in facility with the team; now is the time for everyone to get behind him on this and move forward.
- I believe you are referring to the team, but I am using this quote in the context of Steelers Nation:

I'm with you 100% on moving forward, but I have lost all respect for the man. After hearing the explicit details that the prosecutor revealed, I will not support scum who believe they can do whatever they want, when they want, with utterly no consequences or repercussions. The man is disgusting, he has disgusted his fans, and sadly enough, the majority will probably stick behind him on this. I understand supporting your team, but I cannot support someone who abuses his celebrity by "allegedly" sexually assaulting several women. The first time around, I was naive, I was simply blinded by my undying devotion to the Black & Gold- but there comes a time when a fan must choose between morality, and loyalty.

I'm sure no one here condones what he "allegedly" did, but by supporting him, you basically do. This is the toughest part, choosing between supporting your beloved team (who will still be around long after Big Ben is convicted, err.. I mean retires), hence supporting Big Ben. Or, standing for your morals and not supporting Ben, which in-a-way, is not supporting your team...

I hold the Steelers on a pedestal that is virtually unprecedented, but I have removed Ben from that divine position of superiority, and regardless of what he does (pending world peace), Ben will always be an icon for everything I detest in athletes.

I'm just not sure how I'm going to balance bashing Big Ben while rooting for the Steelers... I am at a transitional phase in my experience as a Steelers fan... and I'm just not sure what the hell I'm going to do. I'm sure everyone is feeling revolted or a little betrayed, I guess this is just a way for me to vent some of my frustration. I just can't root for him anymore, even if he is lifting another Lombardi, I just can't see myself applauding him.

Zachintosh66
04-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Once he wins again all will be forgiven... looks at Kobe and Tiger.

Captcoolhand
04-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Ben is still an ******* and reguardless what he saids, he still an *******!

Ironman
04-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Once he wins again all will be forgiven... looks at Kobe and Tiger.

But that's exactly what I'm trying to say, many of Ben's fans will return (if they haven't already) once he starts producing wins. But the bottom line for me, I just can't. I'm sure my loyalties will affect my perspective once the season starts up, but as far as giving Ben acclaim, applause, or encouragement, he can go f*ck himself for all I care, see if he gets charged with sexual assault then.

Man, I guess suppressing my anger over the past few weeks has not been such a good idea..

lloydfan4life
04-14-2010, 04:23 PM
- I believe you are referring to the team, but I am using this quote in the context of Steelers Nation:

I'm with you 100% on moving forward, but I have lost all respect for the man. After hearing the explicit details that the prosecutor revealed, I will not support scum who believe they can do whatever they want, when they want, with utterly no consequences or repercussions. The man is disgusting, he has disgusted his fans, and sadly enough, the majority will probably stick behind him on this. I understand supporting your team, but I cannot support someone who abuses his celebrity by "allegedly" sexually assaulting several women. The first time around, I was naive, I was simply blinded by my undying devotion to the Black & Gold- but there comes a time when a fan must choose between morality, and loyalty.

I'm sure no one here condones what he "allegedly" did, but by supporting him, you basically do. This is the toughest part, choosing between supporting your beloved team (who will still be around long after Big Ben is convicted, err.. I mean retires), hence supporting Big Ben. Or, standing for your morals and not supporting Ben, which in-a-way, is not supporting your team...

I hold the Steelers on a pedestal that is virtually unprecedented, but I have removed Ben from that divine position of superiority, and regardless of what he does (pending world peace), Ben will always be an icon for everything I detest in athletes.

I'm just not sure how I'm going to balance bashing Big Ben while rooting for the Steelers... I am at a transitional phase in my experience as a Steelers fan... and I'm just not sure what the hell I'm going to do. I'm sure everyone is feeling revolted or a little betrayed, I guess this is just a way for me to vent some of my frustration. I just can't root for him anymore, even if he is lifting another Lombardi, I just can't see myself applauding him.

Extremely well put... :clap: ... and I agree with you 100%.

Steel Trap86
04-14-2010, 04:31 PM
heeeeyyy some "good" news

Captcoolhand
04-14-2010, 04:39 PM
But that's exactly what I'm trying to say, many of Ben's fans will return (if they haven't already) once he starts producing wins. But the bottom line for me, I just can't. I'm sure my loyalties will affect my perspective once the season starts up, but as far as giving Ben acclaim, applause, or encouragement, he can go f*ck himself for all I care, see if he gets charged with sexual assault then.

Man, I guess suppressing my anger over the past few weeks has not been such a good idea..

I followed Ben since his days at Miami, Ohio and was ecstatic that we pick/even got him. But after training camp and listening to what he had to say to fans just turned me and my wife(ex) against him and never look at him the same way.

I love the Steelers and all but Ben...F*ck you!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-14-2010, 04:58 PM
It's like I've said from the beginning..I personally do not care what he does off the field, how many babies he kisses at training camp, how many autographs he signs, or whatever. He's paid to win and he's a winner on the field.

Do I wish he was the ultimate community volunteer, fan favorite, whatever you want to call it? Sure I guess, but I don't lose sleep over the fact that his personal life leaves much to be desired. There's a million and one guys that go into bars every night and get it on with women regardless of who started the contact. The fact is, yeah what he did wasn't good and the situation he put himself in with all this scrutiny and potential trouble is not good either. The Rooney's will talk to him more, Goodell already did already, they'll do something behind closed doors that we may never know about but come September on Sunday afternoon I'll be cheering for him every time he makes a 1st down or a TD and we win games. I'm cheering for the team to win and he's part of the team; I can't sit here and justify booing Ben when he tosses a game winning TD because his attitude toward women isn't the best. I can see where some do though and I respect that and can see your point of view. In the end though, your contract in the NFL doesn't say you have to be a certain way or act a certain way or feel a certain way. I have nothing but respect for women and they should be treated with respect. Let's remember too, he wasn't the only one at fault here but the FACT IS, you don't know what she did as well to instigate this and you don't know that he in fact assaulted her or raped, PERIOD! There is no proof either way. He shouldn't have been in there with her, but he's not a choir boy nor does he profess to be. We don't know how this particular woman is either, the press has let us know absolutely zero about her so her way of life may not be that upstanding either and you don't know how often she does this type of thing. I'm not saying she does or does not, I'm just being objective.

Winning cures all ills and sooner or later this will be forgotten by most. In the end, morals don't win championships, players do. That's harsh to say, but honestly, it's really true from my perspective. I don't condone what he did, I don't like it at all, PERIOD!!! but it is what it is now and all we can hope for is that he gets his life straight off the field and we can move on.

Captcoolhand
04-14-2010, 05:05 PM
It's like I've said from the beginning..I personally do not care what he does off the field, how many babies he kisses at training camp, how many autographs he signs, or whatever. He's paid to win and he's a winner on the field.

Do I wish he was the ultimate community volunteer, fan favorite, whatever you want to call it? Sure I guess, but I don't lose sleep over the fact that his personal life leaves much to be desired. There's a million and one guys that go into bars every night and get it on with women regardless of who started the contact. The fact is, yeah what he did wasn't good and the situation he put himself in with all this scrutiny and potential trouble is not good either. The Rooney's will talk to him more, Goodell already did already, they'll do something behind closed doors that we may never know about but come September on Sunday afternoon I'll be cheering for him everytime he makes a 1st down or a TD and we win games. I'm cheering for the team to win and he's part of the team; I can't sit here and justify booing Ben when he tosses a game winning TD because his attitude toward women isn't the best. I can see where come do though and I respect that and can see your point of view. In the end though, your contact in the NFL doesn't say you have to be a certain way or act a certain way or feel a certain way.

Winning cures all ills and sooner or later this will be forgotten by most. In the end, morals don't win championships, players do. That's harsh to say, but honestly, it's really true from my perspective. I don't condone what he did, I don't like it at all PERIOD!!! but it is what it is now and all we can hope for is that he gets his life straight off the field and we can move on.
i have a couple Ben/holmes jerseys for sell, you interested.....:dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-14-2010, 05:07 PM
I did add some more that previous post..and No I don't need any more Ben jersey's thank you :lol:

Dobre Shunka
04-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Back on the field where he belongs, good Lord good newz.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-14-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't want to make it seem like Im not on the side of justice here. I am not a person who would ever do what he did. I never have and never will, I wasn't raised that way. I don't condone his actions one bit. Having said that though, today's NFL player is not perfect. They are subject to the temptations of every man and woman in this society. I wish he was your fan favorite, community friendly, typical Steelers player but he is in fact not. Personally, I'm not ready to cast him aside in favor of losing game after game again when he can potentially turn his off field life back on the straight and narrow. You're given more chances to screw up and fix yourself in the NFL when you're a guy like Ben so as long as the team is willing to stick behind him then we should be behind him too.

You don't have to approve of what he did, and I do not either, but booing him or just not cheering when he is on the field, IMO, isn't going to help matters any. I cheer for the Steelers, I always have and I always will but I'm not going to lose sleep over the fact he's still the QB of this team unless there is proof that I should feel differently. If there is, then we can cross that bridge then but until then the Steeler nation as a whole has gotten in such an uproar over this that they are ready to run him out when in the end, nobody really knows the full entire story enough to make an accurate judgment against him either way.

I can't stress this enough; we will never know the FULL story on this. Anyone who thinks we do really needs to rethink that. You heard from the SA what both Ben and this woman said, according to what he wanted to know. There have been many many meetings between these parties over the last month so who's say what the REAL truth is..honestly I doubt we will ever know.

LarryNJ
04-14-2010, 05:47 PM

....., I just can't see myself applauding him.

Extremely well put... :clap: ... and I agree with you 100%.

:plus1: It was very well put and my feelings exactly..along with Capts little comment! :)

This morning at breakfast I was discussing Ben with my 15 year old son. He loves the Steelers but doesn't follow much of the off season going ons. He was surprised but happy to hear we got Randle el back. We talked about why they traded Santionio and he said it's a shame that drugs ruin so many peoples lives. I hope he get's his act together. It was almost like he felt sorry for him. When we talked about Ben and what he has been going through. There was no sympathy he basically called him a no good dirty scumbag. He was upset because Tom Brady gets super models and Ben is hanging out in the bathroom with drunk college girls. The final thing he said was tonight the Penguins start their playoff run, Ben should hangout with Sid and take some lessons from him.

MattyVfromCT
04-14-2010, 05:55 PM
I followed Ben since his days at Miami, Ohio and was ???? that we pick/even got him. But after training camp and listening to what he had to say to fans just turned me and my wife(ex) against him and never look at him the same way.

I love the Steelers and all but Ben...F*ck you!

what did he say? just curius

Ironman
04-14-2010, 05:59 PM
very well put Top Gun, very objective. I see what you're saying, and I've taken it all into consideration, but just because something isn't proven, doesn't mean it didn't happen. You have to remember this is also the 2nd encounter like this in less than 12 months- and this one, like the last, is very explicit in what allegedly happened. At first, I couldn't see Ben doing something like this (like I said I was extremely blinded by my loyalty, but mainly I was naive), but this 2nd incident has forcefully dragged my eyelids open.

I know we live in a society where you are innocent until proven guilty, but I'm sorry, that's bullshit- especially when you can BUY 'justice', just like the majority of the athletes and millionaire scum do. I guess it's wrong for me to judge Ben, but I think it's blatantly obvious that he did it, and has done it before, and in-fact, may probably do it again.

I would continue my rant here, but I got a meeting to attend, so I gotta leave it half-way through... anyways, great feedback Top Gun, looking forward to possibly another rebuttal from anybody.

Dee Mca
04-14-2010, 07:06 PM
The final thing he said was tonight the Penguins start their playoff run, Ben should hangout with Sid and take some lessons from him.

Is their room at Mario's for Ben to move in? Or would Ben just end up corrupting Sidney?

Ben does need to clean his act up but like TG said we will never know the whole story what little facts we do know is Ben and the young lady was in wrong place. Being a Steelers fan and living in Indiana my instructor made it a point to bring it up in my Law Enforcement class. Unless it isn't true she is underage out drinking with class mates. Not saying this condones anyone for possibly taking advantage of her. But she should have never been their in the first place esp considering this wasn't the first time she was caught underage drinking in this bar/club.

I will still wear my Ben jersey not for what he does off the field but what he does on the field.

HUNT4SEVEN
04-14-2010, 07:17 PM

:clap::clap::clap:HalleluYah well said...I never really liked Ben anyways i always thought he was to cocky from his interviews i seen, i believe the Steelers should of made a example of him as well, they say around here all the time no one person is bigger than the organization well that was proven wrong...I also lost respect for the front office as well, this sucks i will always be a Steeler fan but ont a Ben fan he sucks. Oh where can we hear what the prosecutor said?

75Steeler
04-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Is their room at Mario's for Ben to move in? Or would Ben just end up corrupting Sidney?

Ben does need to clean his act up but like TG said we will never know the whole story what little facts we do know is Ben and the young lady was in wrong place. Being a Steelers fan and living in Indiana my instructor made it a point to bring it up in my Law Enforcement class. Unless it isn't true she is underage out drinking with class mates. Not saying this condones anyone for possibly taking advantage of her. But she should have never been their in the first place esp considering this wasn't the first time she was caught underage drinking in this bar/club.

I will still wear my Ben jersey not for what he does off the field but what he does on the field.

From what I understand there is room enough for Ben to move in a Mario's and not see Sid or Mario for weeks.....That place is supposedly huge!

LatrobePA
04-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Ben would screw it up by showing the Mrs his weiner!!

75Steeler
04-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Ben would screw it up by showing the Mrs his weiner!!

:rofl:

LarryNJ
04-14-2010, 09:37 PM
From what I understand there is room enough for Ben to move in a Mario's and not see Sid or Mario for weeks.....That place is supposedly huge!

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4997/30mpw7r.jpg

But the pool isn't that big.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/3383/x1gf84.jpg

steelers4life66
04-15-2010, 09:18 AM

Do I wish he was the ultimate community volunteer, fan favorite, whatever you want to call it? Sure I guess, but I don't lose sleep over the fact that his personal life leaves much to be desired. There's a million and one guys that go into bars every night and get it on with women regardless of who started the contact. The fact is, yeah what he did wasn't good and the situation he put himself in with all this scrutiny and potential trouble is not good either. The Rooney's will talk to him more, Goodell already did already, they'll do something behind closed doors that we may never know about but come September on Sunday afternoon I'll be cheering for him every time he makes a 1st down or a TD and we win games. I'm cheering for the team to win and he's part of the team; I can't sit here and justify booing Ben when he tosses a game winning TD because his attitude toward women isn't the best. I can see where some do though and I respect that and can see your point of view. In the end though, your contract in the NFL doesn't say you have to be a certain way or act a certain way or feel a certain way. I have nothing but respect for women and they should be treated with respect. Let's remember too, he wasn't the only one at fault here but the FACT IS, you don't know what she did as well to instigate this and you don't know that he in fact assaulted her or raped, PERIOD! There is no proof either way. He shouldn't have been in there with her, but he's not a choir boy nor does he profess to be. We don't know how this particular woman is either, the press has let us know absolutely zero about her so her way of life may not be that upstanding either and you don't know how often she does this type of thing. I'm not saying she does or does not, I'm just being objective.

Winning cures all ills and sooner or later this will be forgotten by most. In the end, morals don't win championships, players do. That's harsh to say, but honestly, it's really true from my perspective. I don't condone what he did, I don't like it at all, PERIOD!!! but it is what it is now and all we can hope for is that he gets his life straight off the field and we can move on.

Well put T. :clap:

steelersgal86
04-15-2010, 09:49 AM

:clap: Very well said...I totally agree...I dont agree with what he did...but I care about what he does on the field...I would quote my brother glenn...but it was a little harsh...:greengrin:

cmerrifield
04-15-2010, 11:02 AM
There are certain things I dont really care about when players do dumb things off the field, like Reed and beating up a paper towels and what not, but sexual assault would be something I do care about, or telling a kid to "kill himself" would be as well. I get annoyed and angry with off field issues, but I dont think the small ones matter much. However, I do think bigger ones do matter and I think Ben is awfully close to that line. If Ben did assault that girl, which I find unlikely, then I do want him off my team regardless of what that does to our record.

RIVERS OF STEEL
04-15-2010, 02:28 PM
there were years in the past when i never watched a single game. the only thing i cared for was, did we win. answer, yes. next thing i knew we where in the super bowl. me personally it is the steelers as a team, not one specific individual/s that i care for. so, go steelers.

SteelCurtainYinzer
04-16-2010, 11:45 AM
While I won't give up watching the Steelers, I will be putting my #7 jersey to rest. As well as taking the #7 Jersey my son has and putting it out also. I can't and won't wear a jersey of a person who has so many allegations against him that it is embarrassing. I am sorry if many won't agree with me but the situation warrants it.
The fact that this case didn't go very far and there is a rumor of her being paid off by Ben makes the guilt of our QB even more possible.
I wish the organization would just trade him and this situation would over.

LatrobePA
04-16-2010, 11:47 AM
While I won't give up watching the Steelers, I will be putting my #7 jersey to rest. As well as taking the #7 Jersey my son has and putting it out also. I can't and won't wear a jersey of a person who has so many allegations against him that it is embarrassing. I am sorry if many won't agree with me but the situation warrants it.
The fact that this case didn't go very far and there is a rumor of her being paid off by Ben makes the guilt of our QB even more possible.
I wish the organization would just trade him and this situation would over.

We'll get flamed but I'm right with you brother! My sons #7 Fathead will be gone as well as all his jerseys!! Sorry!!