PDA

View Full Version : Rumor form PFT.com Via Fedko at WPXI... this is a good one!!!

steelcitysfinestXL
04-14-2010, 10:30 AM
http://www.wpxi.com/sports/23136434/detail.html i cant open the site at work for some reason... so there is the link!

I dont read too much into this... BUT, to play devils advocate imagine this scenario:

-trade ben to stl. for the 2010-1st overall AND the 2011 Rams first rounder
-bring in a vet (J.Campbell or Leftwhich), draft a qb in the 3rd (Dan Lefevlor [sp.] or Colt McCoy) and have an open camp including Dixon.
-trade the 1st over-all for th 4th-7th overall and a 2nd and 3rd or 4th
-draft Eric Berry with you new 1st pick (4-7)
-Use your new 2nd or 17th overall to trade for Nnamdi Asomugha

you've essentially made one of the sickest defenses ever, you have a few viable resources at qb to "manage" the way Ben did early. Worse comes to worst, even if we go 8-8, the rams are a six win team at best with Ben (after a 2-4 game suspension from godell) we'll have 2 top 10-12 picks in 2011. Get your QB there...

I dont want Ben to get traded... but what would YOU do as Kevin Colbert if you had to trade Ben for the above stated draft picks???

TampaSteelGirl
04-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Ben is NOT getting traded......and HELL NO on Campbell!!!!!!

steelcitysfinestXL
04-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Ben is NOT getting traded......

I agree... hense why i wrote "im not buying into it"! Im just posting rumor, written by a local sports anchor (John Fedko) and maybe :stirpot: a lil... lol

--- Added 4/14/2010 at 08:43 AM ---

Campbell/Lefty would only be to have a semi-proven NFL qb on the roster for depth an competition.

TampaSteelGirl
04-14-2010, 10:51 AM
I agree... hense why i wrote "im not buying into it"! Im just posting rumor, written by a local sports anchor (John Fedko) and maybe :stirpot: a lil... lol

--- Added 4/14/2010 at 08:43 AM ---

Campbell/Lefty would only be to have a semi-proven NFL qb on the roster for depth an competition.

It's funny because i got that Ben article yesterday off this site as well...hope they are not :stirpot:. that's all we need.

I just wish the season would start already!!!!! :yellowthumb:

RIVERS OF STEEL
04-14-2010, 10:59 AM
somebody with a keyboard in the sports(maybe) world has too much freetime. lol

Steel Impact
04-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Ben is NOT getting traded......and HELL NO on Campbell!!!!!!

LOL......... Funny ****

75Steeler
04-14-2010, 11:09 AM
The fact that we are giving John Fedko any credit as a real journalist here scares the crap out of me. So I'm Praying to Myron Cope for the trade rumors to stop, Ben to get a 3 game suspension, and the Steelers to win #7. Praying to a real journalist who may be dead is better than listening to that A**HOLE John Fedko.

SteelCityKid5
04-14-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't see this happening. But, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened either.

K Train
04-14-2010, 01:39 PM
if you get 1.7 and 1.18 with all the browns picks in the 2nd and third with all of ours as well...thats 6 picks in the first 3 rounds we could do some ****ing damage. thats dynasty building **** right there lol

nuclearchihuahuas
04-14-2010, 01:41 PM
I see the Rooney family as very upset by a sexual assault charge and willing to drop Ben...I wouldn't be surprised at all. But why not give dennis dixon a shot? With an entire off season to prepare--why not?

BlitzburghRockCity
04-14-2010, 01:46 PM
OMG why are we still talking about this **** :cursin:

WindyCityShaker
04-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Ok as evidenced by my post count I obviously have never posted here. I can tell you this I'm a long-time Steeler fan and I read through these forums on a daily basis.

Trust me I love me some BB, and I don't see anyway this offer can actually be on the table but if it is I don't see how one could just dismiss it because we're worried about losing Ben. Again I know this stance will probably get me a good torching, but oh well it's just conversation right?

IF we could work out that deal with Cleveland, or someone else who would want to move up and still assure us that we can get Berry, plus that teams' 2nd and 3rd rounder, everything sets up pretty nicely.

I agree with Finest here Berry is the first pick, the only problem is I don't know if we can get Asomugha in a straight up deal for that 18th pick but if we can it's a no brainer. Asomugha is a PROVEN shutdown corner, and I think we can all agree that while there are chances taken with any player in the draft, Berry would appear on the surface to be a fairly safe bet. Ok with our 2 2nd rounders I grab whichever of the best OL we talk about daily who is available where we need help and grab Tate while we're at it.

Next I need to know that I can trade my 4th rounder and 2 (maybe even 3 if a high enough pick) 5th rounders for another team who could use the additional picks for their 3rd rounder, now giving us 3. What do we do with those 3 picks everyone would know better than me, QB, DL, LB, OL, i think we can find good value in the 3rd, and people who I believe make our OVERALL team better. The rest of the draft is pretty much mailed in.

Consider that as long as BB is here that BA is probably here as well, and haven't we all been clammoring for BA to be shipped out? Aren't we always complaining about never running the ball? Look do i want to go to war with Dixon, or one of these other hand me down QB's? Of course not but I'm not also asking for them to win the game for me and throw 40 times. The Bears made the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman, the Ratbirds WON with Dilfer, the Jets were knocking on the door with Sanchez! Look I know franchise QB's don't grow on trees, and like I said I actually love BB, but we need to address our defense as well. With the horrible Holmes situation Ben lost a big weapon which may limit some of what he can do. With no OL help either, things could get tougher. This trade while I don't want to see it, I don't know that the sky would fall if it happened. Call me an idiot, I don't care.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-14-2010, 03:10 PM
if you get 1.7 and 1.18 with all the browns picks in the 2nd and third with all of ours as well...thats 6 picks in the first 3 rounds we could do some ****ing damage. thats dynasty building **** right there lol

Thats what im saying K! If you got 1.1 (2010) and 1.? (2011) from the rams, trade that 1.1 to cle for 1.7, 2.7 and 3 or 4.7 and retain the 1.18 and our other pics... we could do some MAJOR ***king damage.

The Eagle have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds... its insane!!!

OMG why are we still talking about this **** :cursin:

lol, you dont HAVE to answer if you dont want to buddy!

Ok as evidenced by my post count I obviously have never posted here. I can tell you this I'm a long-time Steeler fan and I read through these forums on a daily basis.

Trust me I love me some BB, and I don't see anyway this offer can actually be on the table but if it is I don't see how one could just dismiss it because we're worried about losing Ben. Again I know this stance will probably get me a good torching, but oh well it's just conversation right?

IF we could work out that deal with Cleveland, or someone else who would want to move up and still assure us that we can get Berry, plus that teams' 2nd and 3rd rounder, everything sets up pretty nicely.

I agree with Finest here Berry is the first pick, the only problem is I don't know if we can get Asomugha in a straight up deal for that 18th pick but if we can it's a no brainer. Asomugha is a PROVEN shutdown corner, and I think we can all agree that while there are chances taken with any player in the draft, Berry would appear on the surface to be a fairly safe bet. Ok with our 2 2nd rounders I grab whichever of the best OL we talk about daily who is available where we need help and grab Tate while we're at it.

Next I need to know that I can trade my 4th rounder and 2 (maybe even 3 if a high enough pick) 5th rounders for another team who could use the additional picks for their 3rd rounder, now giving us 3. What do we do with those 3 picks everyone would know better than me, QB, DL, LB, OL, i think we can find good value in the 3rd, and people who I believe make our OVERALL team better. The rest of the draft is pretty much mailed in.

Consider that as long as BB is here that BA is probably here as well, and haven't we all been clammoring for BA to be shipped out? Aren't we always complaining about never running the ball? Look do i want to go to war with Dixon, or one of these other hand me down QB's? Of course not but I'm not also asking for them to win the game for me and throw 40 times. The Bears made the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman, the Ratbirds WON with Dilfer, the Jets were knocking on the door with Sanchez! Look I know franchise QB's don't grow on trees, and like I said I actually love BB, but we need to address our defense as well. With the horrible Holmes situation Ben lost a big weapon which may limit some of what he can do. With no OL help either, things could get tougher. This trade while I don't want to see it, I don't know that the sky would fall if it happened. Call me an idiot, I don't care.

Couldnt agree more :clap: I DO NOT WANT TO TRADE BEN ROETHLISBERGER...just to be clear. But, if the rooneys want to TRUELY repair the image they think they had, BIG BEN MUST GO. I myself consider the Steelers an everyday franchise when it comes to character. They have been for as long as i can remember. So i dont buy into the whole "trade ben to repair the image" As a life long fan/resident of pittsburgh i could care less about the image... the image is a 7th, 8th and 9th lombardi! Get em by any means neccessary...

DanRooney
04-14-2010, 05:10 PM
If we trade Ben, we will not win another championship in the Tomlin era, which could go for quite some time. You guys don't realize Ben makes plays that no other QB consistently does. He makes 20 yard strikes seem routine. Those intermediate passes are the toughest plays to make in football.

Ibleedblk&gld
04-14-2010, 05:19 PM
just got the text from schefter about this...

"Here in Pittsburgh radio there are rumors going around that St. Louis is in town talking to Steelers about Ben..."

WindyCityShaker
04-14-2010, 05:24 PM
If we trade Ben, we will not win another championship in the Tomlin era, which could go for quite some time. You guys don't realize Ben makes plays that no other QB consistently does. He makes 20 yard strikes seem routine. Those intermediate passes are the toughest plays to make in football.

Who said anyone didn't realize what Ben does? He's AMAZING! With our quickly aging defense and an O-Line that to put it nicely sucks overall, unless he's out there defending the pass and protecting for himself, there's no guarantee that we'll win another one with him. I'm not so sure how close the Patriots will get again with that defense and they've got Brady!

This particular opportunity, again I don't believe it, nor do I necessarily WANT it, but this situation could enable us to address a number of different needs, in one year no less that me may not have the opportunity to address over the next FOUR seasons.

SteelCurtainYinzer
04-14-2010, 10:46 PM
I would take St. Louis first this year and first next year...hell yeah I would. I agree with then trading down with the first pick and picking up another 2nd and perhaps a 4th...via losing a 5th. Much talent to be had

DanRooney
04-14-2010, 11:54 PM
"Why not give Dixon a shot?"

Jesus Christ. Dennis Dixon=Pat White=Tavaris Jackson=Cleo Lemon.

andyg1984
04-14-2010, 11:54 PM
if any of this were to go down i would want clausen

LatrobePA
04-15-2010, 12:31 AM
if any of this were to go down i would want clausen

No thanks! I'd rather have Max Starks behind center!!

scott0326
04-15-2010, 12:41 AM
Trading Ben is a retarded idea, do people not realize how hard it is to find a great NFL quarterback? I think we are taking having a great QB for granted here.

SnakeEyes43
04-15-2010, 02:01 AM
:ditto:
I agree, if you look back at all the great 4th QTR and OT drives Ben has led to win games for this team, including a f*cking Super Bowl, in his career....you'd be crazy to want him gone. Most fans on other teams pray for a QB as good as Ben...here he gets taken for granted. :chair: And the team doesn't have a "bad image" because of Ben....he has never been arrested or charged of any crime. Every accusation against him is simply he says, she says. Anyway, we will not trade him, period.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Trading Ben is a retarded idea, do people not realize how hard it is to find a great NFL quarterback? I think we are taking having a great QB for granted here.

Why is it retarded!?!? Would i be happy about it, not immediately. The point of this whole thing is that the Rooneys keep on insisting they have a franchise that "Holds itself to higher standards" THATS BULLSHIT! IF they want to achieve that, they cant have an ACCUSED 2 time rapist as the face of the franchise.

Guilty or not... it looks bad when it happens once. It looks really bad when it happens twice... whats it look like if it happens again!?!?

LatrobePA
04-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Why is it retarded!?!? Would i be happy about it, not immediately. The point of this whole thing is that the Rooneys keep on insisting they have a franchise that "Holds itself to higher standards" THATS BULLSHIT! IF they want to achieve that, they cant have an ACCUSED 2 time rapist as the face of the franchise.

Guilty or not... it looks bad when it happens once. It looks really bad when it happens twice... whats it look like if it happens again!?!?

I agree with ya!

steelspikes
04-16-2010, 12:51 AM
When Big Ben arrived in 2004, he was the best news the Steelers had had in 25 years. i can't believe so many are now ready to throw him under the bus. While he needs to have a chance to clean up his act, maybe he's already had several and Steeler management has had enough indication that it's not gonna happen? A scenario like the one steelcitysfinestXL lays out above would be tempting. Even under Ben's great stats of last yr. the Steeler offense is still not one of NFL's elites. Just look at point per game production. Last year's didn't even equal 2004, Ben's first year! Dixon has the speed of a young Kordell, and has to be a better passer. But he will take2-3 more years if he is to develop into a top flight NFL QB. Well, whatever happens at this point will not shock, when you consider what has already gone down this off season. If Steelers keep Ben, a suspension of more than 1 game seriously impacts the team's chances of winning the division, given the present highly competitive situation. Don't see how suspension fits in with the league's desire to maintain competition.

Real Deal Steel
04-16-2010, 11:07 PM

We had Bradshaw and we won SB's then we went 20 sum odd years without a real QB and when we finally got one, we won SB's again.

Sorry, but I'm not ready to go through a wasteland of years before winning again. That would be unfair to the rest of the team that is built to win RIGHT NOW!

Ben is immature and he will receive counseling, suspension and he will be put on the straight and narrow.

What some of you are acting like is elitest. The rest of the league is facing the same thing that we are. Hell..the rest of the country is because moralistically, this country has lost it's way. Why would you think your favorite team would be insulated from the rest of the world?? What we can and will do is show that this behavior will not be tolerated.

andyg1984
04-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Schefter on these rumors (from espn insider)

Q: Do you think the rumor of St. Louis visiting the Rooneys for Ben Roethlisberger holds any water whatsoever? And if by chance they are meeting, what would it take to see a deal get done for Ben and the St. Louis Rams' first-round pick? Would Sam Bradford be a good fit for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Ben for the Rams?

-- Dick (Mountain Home, Idaho)

A: Never happened, Dick, I can assure you. It is just a rumor. It would be stunning to see the Steelers trade Roethlisberger anywhere, including St. Louis. Not that it doesn't make some sense, because it actually does. But it would be stunning if it happened. Then again, who ever could have imagined that Brett Favre would wind up as a Viking or Donovan McNabb a Redskin? So I don't see the Steelers trading Roethlisberger at this time, but this is a crazy league.

... funny thing is he also wrote this on what the cards should do with their QB situation ..

But if I were the Cardinals' GM, I would have traded for Donovan McNabb. And I would call the Redskins now and find out what they would want for him, even though they just traded for him. And if they didn't want to give up McNabb, my next phone call would be to Pittsburgh to see what it would take to get Ben Roethlisberger. I'd want to reunite him with Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm.