PDA

View Full Version : Does the Holmes trade change draft plans?

SteelCityKid5
04-12-2010, 12:38 PM
What do the Steelers now do in the draft? Does this change their minds to now drafting a WR early?

- I say they still need an OL or CB. Running backs and Wide receivers can be found in the later rounds. With that said, what round do you think they should start looking into a WR? I say 3rd or 4th round start looking. Also, please ....please dont be shocked if they do draft a wide receiver with the 18th pick. Granted, I'll be upset but come on now. You can't tell me that you cant see them drafting a WR earlier than we thought.

I just wanted to get everyone else's take on this subject....

cmerrifield
04-12-2010, 12:40 PM
I think it may mean taking a reciever in the 2nd or 3rd, but I dont know. I wish we all knew how Sweed was going to play this year. If he has a breakout year, then we are fine without Holmes, Randel El is a good 4th reciever, if Sweed doesnt pan out, then I think reciever has to be 2nd round at the latest.

JensK
04-12-2010, 12:42 PM
the kind of WR we need cant be found later on. We need a match-up missmatch, stud WR like holmes was to make all the other WRs on our roster look better. With that being said, i do agree that we need OL, CB, Safetyand OLB/DL depth as well.

coldrolled
04-12-2010, 12:42 PM
What do the Steelers now do in the draft? Does this change their minds to now drafting a WR early?

- I say they still need an OL or CB. Running backs and Wide receivers can be found in the later rounds. With that said, what round do you think they should start looking into a WR? I say 3rd or 4th round start looking. Also, please ....please dont be shocked if they do draft a wide receiver with the 18th pick. Granted, I'll be upset but come on now. You can't tell me that you cant see them drafting a WR earlier than we thought.

I just wanted to get everyone else's take on this subject....

TO is the only #1 WR player out there that wont cost us a draft pick.

SteelCityKid5
04-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Eh.... TO is getting old, it'd be a one year deal at best and I dont feel like traveling down that avenue of him being a cancer and whatnot. It'd just be better if we didnt. Hell, sign Hank Baskett so we can see his hot wife. I'm kidding by the way.

LatrobePA
04-12-2010, 12:51 PM
I think I'd puke if I had to see TO in B&G!!

K Train
04-12-2010, 01:02 PM
well since im not sure what they had plans to begin with idk.

i think they were gonna pull an epic reach for kareem jackson, thats just my gut feeling but now i think they have to take a WR somewhat high. bey bey, benn and tate could be targets in the second...i think they need to make a move to get them though cause the second round teams are gonna go ape **** on WRs.

id take bryant in the first, but would still prefer thomas, pouncey or davis

strong D
04-12-2010, 01:10 PM
i think dez bryant has the potential to be an anquan boldin type id hate to see them go wr in the 1st cause we have other needs but idk

Big T
04-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Does the Pope **** in the woods? That's what I thought....

Blazedby92
04-12-2010, 03:47 PM
the kind of WR we need cant be found later on. We need a match-up missmatch, stud WR like holmes was to make all the other WRs on our roster look better.

Remeber it takes 3 yrs to develope a receiver so lets take our other needs first, we all ready hve a second round 2nd year projext that isn't going to pan out.

tburg68
04-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Doesn't change a thing. They were planning on having a crappy draft, and I don't think that will change at all!

K Train
04-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Doesn't change a thing. They were planning on having a crappy draft, and I don't think that will change at all!

hey? are you me? lol

tburg68
04-12-2010, 04:11 PM
hey? are you me? lol

Lol. I am now. This is the last straw. After last years debacle and now this, I am expecting them to trade Ben for a second round pick that they use on Tebow.

JensK
04-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Lol. I am now. This is the last straw. After last years debacle and now this, I am expecting them to trade Ben for a second round pick that they use on Tebow.

Lol. It would be so horrible i would be able to do nothing but laugh at it. Seriously, this draft better be the best draft in the history of Steelers!

tburg68
04-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Lol. It would be so horrible i would be able to do nothing but laugh at it. Seriously, this draft better be the best draft in the history of Steelers!

You'll be as blue as your avatar, holding your breath for that.

K Train
04-12-2010, 04:41 PM

i would be ok with a decent draft, just not a debacle like last year

Stairwayto7
04-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Yeah I believe it changes thr draft, that sucks! Still cant get over just getting a 5th!

Black@Gold Forever32
04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Of course it changes the draft the team just traded their best WR and the only WR on the roster that defenses really respected at this point.......I know Ward caught a **** load of balls last year but Holmes allowing Ward to see single coverage was a big reason why Ward was of effective.......Ward is just getting old which happens to every player.....

Byrant or Tate will be a Steeler....book it.....I love me some Golden Tate and really I would be ok with Tate being a Steeler....watched him a ton the past two years....

Zachintosh66
04-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Im prolly gonna get lynched for this but... I say stay on course for the draft (OL, DB) more than likely. There are more misses with WR in the first round than cats who have panned out...

I expect us to move up into the second or third round with packaging some of our later picks...

scudmissile29
04-12-2010, 07:02 PM
No it doesnt we have other glaring needs.

andyg1984
04-12-2010, 07:30 PM
why would this change things? Now Tomlin can pick all of the Frank Summers, Dennis Dixon and Willie Gays he loves to pick in the fifth ... not to hate on those picks, but tomlin is obviously going to just load up with scrubs in the 5th and as far as early on goes, well that is a great time to load up on guys that don't fit ...

too bad Cowher does not have a say anymore .. before we know it tomlin will have ruined the team he built

coach
04-12-2010, 07:52 PM
What a drop. From SB MVP to fifth round trade bait.

Draft picks are stacking up. I wonder if there is a trade up possibility?

scudmissile29
04-12-2010, 08:13 PM
What a drop. From SB MVP to fifth round trade bait.

Draft picks are stacking up. I wonder if there is a trade up possibility?

I think that's fairly obvious now that we will be trading up a few times

coldrolled
04-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Im prolly gonna get lynched for this but... I say stay on course for the draft (OL, DB) more than likely. There are more misses with WR in the first round than cats who have panned out...

I expect us to move up into the second or third round with packaging some of our later picks...

the only way to fix this is to buy with cash, no wasted draft pick and get a #1 receiver...

other than that it is a real dumb a$$ decision on the FO.

jcloss23
04-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Hell, sign Hank Baskett so we can see his hot wife. I'm kidding by the way.

Lol, I bet ya Ben would be all for it!

andyg1984
04-12-2010, 10:59 PM
So what is going to happen when Mr Ward gets injured? I like Wallace, but he is not stepping in at #1 imo .. with hines injury history, style of play and age i think this is a pretty
serious concern ... which begs the question ..

Assume that Bryant is off the board and so are all of our favorites, but the two guys there are Pouncey and Demaryius Thomas .. Is it asking too much to try and upgrade WR here and you go with shoring up the O -line? I am not sure this takes pouncey out because he can still help the run and reduce sacks given up inside, tough call because Thomas is a beast ...

Captcoolhand
04-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Might be a better signing than Battle....Just saying!

scudmissile29
04-13-2010, 06:33 AM

lol what is name please so i can google.

K Train
04-13-2010, 08:28 AM

this year is gonna be like the year sweed, jackson, devin thomas, malcolm kelly, donnie avery all went in the second round...there will be 5-6 WRs in the second, maybe 1 or 2 in the first

cmerrifield
04-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah I think lots of recievers going in the second, it will depend on how much the team believes in Sweed, but based on pre-draft visits, they are not putting very many eggs in the Sweed basket.

andyg1984
04-13-2010, 11:48 AM
here is a quote from bay-bay

"Looking at the mock drafts, it seems like no (wide receiver) is in the top five (picks)," he said. "I feel like I'm a top-10 athlete compared to everyone else. ... Just watching the other (receivers) and seeing what they do, I feel like I block the best, I make more plays. I'm more explosive, bigger, maybe the fastest. I can't say that yet; I haven't run the 40."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-04-01/foot-heals-demaryius-thomas-hopes-climb-nfl-draft-boards

JollyRob68
04-13-2010, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=coach;341435]What a drop. From SB MVP to fifth round trade bait.

He could be out of the league before his suspension is over. Next positive test and he's gone for a year. I knew he was gone so I'm not shocked he's gone but shocked at a 5th round pick. But then again, The Steelers had no leverage and Holmes is a major risk of getting suspended for 1yr. Stay away from THE STICKY IKY:eek1:

--- Added 4/13/2010 at 11:10 AM ---

THE STEELERS can get a WR in the 3rd round. We need OL & CB in the first two rounds. Maybe The Steelers can package a 2nd and both 5ths to denver for Marshall or Move back in the first with The Jets,picking up a second rounder then trade that 1st to Denver for Marshall. That gives us MArshall and a CB,OL, CB, LB/DL or CB,RB.
OR
Make the trade with Tampa or Kc for their two 2nd rounders. We can move back and then get KC's or from #18 get Tampas based on the value chart.

coldrolled
04-13-2010, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=coach;341435]What a drop. From SB MVP to fifth round trade bait.

He could be out of the league before his suspension is over. Next positive test and he's gone for a year. I knew he was gone so I'm not shocked he's gone but shocked at a 5th round pick. But then again, The Steelers had no leverage and Holmes is a major risk of getting suspended for 1yr. Stay away from THE STICKY IKY:eek1:

--- Added 4/13/2010 at 11:10 AM ---

THE STEELERS can get a WR in the 3rd round. We need OL & CB in the first two rounds. Maybe The Steelers can package a 2nd and both 5ths to denver for Marshall or Move back in the first with The Jets,picking up a second rounder then trade that 1st to Denver for Marshall. That gives us MArshall and a CB,OL, CB, LB/DL or CB,RB.
OR
Make the trade with Tampa or Kc for their two 2nd rounders. We can move back and then get KC's or from #18 get Tampas based on the value chart.

buy T.O. for one year or two. the CB's and Safeties have to chase TO around then Miller and Hines and wallace are open. the FO has to pay for its mistakes, this is a pay to fix bad deal.

JollyRob68
04-13-2010, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=JollyRob68;341654]

buy T.O. for one year or two. the CB's and Safeties have to chase TO around then Miller and Hines and wallace are open. the FO has to pay for its mistakes, this is a pay to fix bad deal.

What about coles? and now Miami is shopping Ted Ginn Jr. I say the steelers offer a 5th for him or even a 4th, 2 5ths. Miami with all their wildcat didn't use him right. I think he would help us out and we can get him for a low pick.

tburg68
04-13-2010, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=coldrolled;341668]

What about coles? and now Miami is shopping Ted Ginn Jr. I say the steelers offer a 5th for him or even a 4th, 2 5ths. Miami with all their wildcat didn't use him right. I think he would help us out and we can get him for a low pick.

If the Steelers were starting a track team, I'd say trade for him. Since this is football, I say no way. Ginn can't catch. We already have a WR that can't catch.

BlackGold4vr
04-14-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't think this changes their draft board at all. I believe they will pick-up another WR in the 3rd or 4th round. I agree with someone else who stated that we will still pick a CB and OL with the first two picks. Which one is first and which one is second will all depend on how the draft plays out and who is available at the time. :2cents:

JollyRob68
04-14-2010, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=JollyRob68;341705]

If the Steelers were starting a track team, I'd say trade for him. Since this is football, I say no way. Ginn can't catch. We already have a WR that can't catch.

We could use him in the return game and he has a proven Vet in Hines Ward to learn from. Who was he learning from in Miami? No one! Plus I think he'd do well as a Steeler WR.

--- Added 4/14/2010 at 02:42 PM ---

I don't think this changes their draft board at all. I believe they will pick-up another WR in the 3rd or 4th round. I agree with someone else who stated that we will still pick a CB and OL with the first two picks. Which one is first and which one is second will all depend on how the draft plays out and who is available at the time. :2cents:

If Pouncey is gone GEt the CB. As much as I like Iupati take one of the top CB unless McClain Sliped. THen get JAreed Veldheer,Jon Asamoah or John Jerry in the 2nd.If we can move up in the second and get Golden Tate or Arrellious Benn.

tburg68
04-14-2010, 04:21 PM
We could use him in the return game and he has a proven Vet in Hines Ward to learn from. Who was he learning from in Miami? No one! Plus I think he'd do well as a Steeler WR.

He has his COACHES to learn from. He had college and now the Pro's. He CAN'T catch. We also don't need a fast guy who's only worth is in the return game. We already have one of those also.

Nolrog
04-19-2010, 09:03 PM

They have a good receiving core already, with I guess Wallace taking over Holmes' spot and Randel'El taking over the 3rd receiver. Sweed can fly as well (just can't catch). I don't see them going after a receiver too high (maybe in the 5th take a shot at someone). I certinly hope they don't.

In the first, I'd go either OL or an impact defensive player if there is one availble. I don't want to come out of this draft without at least 1 top notch lineman, if not 2 (tired of seeing Ben on his butt 50 times a year.)

strong D
04-19-2010, 09:49 PM
i proposed this question to mel kiper jr on twitter and his response was they could go wr as early as the 2nd rd to watch for ohios taylor price and minnesotas eric decker