PDA

View Full Version : Steelers were going to cut Holmes

SteelCityKid5
04-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Steelers were ready to cut Holmes before trade
Monday, April 12, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers were prepared to release wide receiver Santonio Holmes had they not been able to trade him, sources told the Post-Gazette today.

They took the best deal they could find late Sunday night -- a fifth-round choice in the April 22-24 draft from the New York Jets. It was the best offer they received after talking to a number of other NFL teams about trading Holmes.

The trade came one day after a report on Profootballtalk.com that Holmes faces a four-game suspension in the 2010 season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, which was confirmed today by the Post-Gazette.

Although it has not been announced whether Holmes will be charged in Orlando after a woman claimed he threw a glass in her face at a club early last month, the Steelers obviously had enough with their sometimes brilliant but often troubled wide receiver.
Holmes helped deliver the franchise its sixth Lombardi Trophy with his spectacular touchdown catch that won Super Bowl XL and brought him the game's MVP trophy.

That came several months after coach Mike Tomlin made him inactive for one game after his arrest for marijuana by Pittsburgh police, a charge that ultimately was dropped.

He also was charged twice in his rookie year, once for disorderly conduct and once for choking a former girlfriend, but was not convicted on either account.
After the woman in Orlando filed a civil suit against him last month, Holmes issued some bizarre comments on his Twitter account, telling one person to kill himself and announcing another time that he was going to "wake n bake," considered by some to be slang for smoking marijuana.

Steelers management was furious with Holmes' antics and the black eye it and Ben Roethlisberger's legal issues had given to the organization.
They signed two free agent wide receivers last month, perhaps already knowing about Holmes' latest violation of the NFL substance abuse policy. Also, they have entertained four wide receivers among the 28 college prospects who have visited them over the past two weeks, two of them considered likely first-round picks: Notre Dame's Golden Tate and Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant,
Holmes, the first wide receiver taken (with the 25th overall choice) in the 2006 NFL draft, had his best regular season in 2009 when he led the team with 1,248 yards receiving on 79 receptions, with five touchdowns. It was the first time he had topped 1,000 yards receiving. He has not made a Pro Bowl in his four seasons in the league.
As of 10 a.m., the Steelers had not announced the trade but it was a straight-up deal that does not include any other picks -- conditional or otherwise - or players.
The trade leaves the Steelers with 11 choices in the upcoming draft. Four of them are fifth-round draft choices -- one of their own, two compensatory and the other in the Holmes trade.

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/10102/1049772-66.stm#ixzz0ku50yzfA

So, they got something instead of nothing and we now have four 5th round picks. I think it;s safe to say were going to do something (trade up or make other moves) with four 5th round picks.

Troyisabeast_43
04-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Yea they definitely will not just sit back and not make some kind of move with all of these 5th round picks they have. They will definitely take a wide receiver I think in the 2nd round now especially Golden Tate if he is there. The Steelers would not give up a player like Holmes without having some kind of backup plan to try and replace him ASAP...

JensK
04-12-2010, 01:36 PM
I dont think any of the WRs in the draft can replace Holmes from day one. Maybe Dez Bryant, but i think he'll be a year or two with learning the system. This trade puts us miles back compared to other AFC North teams.We had so many needs coming into this draft, but it looked like we could actually address most of them with a good draft. With a superstar WR suddently being a pressing need as well, not so much anymore.

coldrolled
04-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Yea they definitely will not just sit back and not make some kind of move with all of these 5th round picks they have. They will definitely take a wide receiver I think in the 2nd round now especially Golden Tate if he is there. The Steelers would not give up a player like Holmes without having some kind of backup plan to try and replace him ASAP...

buy TO

Steel Impact
04-12-2010, 01:42 PM
"It was the best offer they received after talking to a number of other NFL teams about trading Holmes". Look at that qoute i guess alot of other teams knew **** as well. Smart move by the Steelers might hurt us short term but will be better off in the long run. Another plaxico in the making see ur *** in jail Holmes.

MattyVfromCT
04-12-2010, 06:52 PM
"It was the best offer they received after talking to a number of other NFL teams about trading Holmes". Look at that qoute i guess alot of other teams knew **** as well. Smart move by the Steelers might hurt us short term but will be better off in the long run. Another plaxico in the making see ur *** in jail Holmes.

exactly. 2 drug suspensions already. one more and it's a year suspension. he wanted out anyway. we have 11 picks in the draft this year, 4 5 round picks. i'd put money on us trading up

andyg1984
04-12-2010, 08:23 PM
the problem with doing something with those picks is everyone knows we don't need them and will give up nothing, tomlin is obviously content with the Frank Summers, Dennis Dixon and Willie Gay 5th round type personnel he has accumulated over the years so i would expect more scrubs .. hope i am wrong

nuclearchihuahuas
04-12-2010, 08:28 PM
I see Golden Tate as the next Hines Ward! I really hope he joins while Hines is still around

Real Deal Steel
04-13-2010, 12:48 AM
Limas Sweed. Re-learn his name.