PDA

View Full Version : I am going out on a limb, and could be crushed.

Dallas Burgher
04-12-2010, 11:17 AM
If Limas Sweed starts to fulfill his potential this year (huge if) this could be OK. I am hoping he will see an opportunity here and rise to the occasion.

I don't think anyone questions his ability to get open, it is his mental/focus aspect that needs to change. If he can do this we will have a good player.

K Train
04-12-2010, 11:22 AM
i like sweed. now hopefully he will be on the field and get a rhythm and confidence. you can look back and you will find not even one post of me bashing sweed, just about a million others doing it. its his 3rd year, its tome to turn the corner

Big T
04-12-2010, 11:26 AM
i like sweed. now hopefully he will be on the field and get a rhythm and confidence. you can look back and you will find not even one post of me bashing sweed, just about a million others doing it. its his 3rd year, its tome to turn the corner

exactly...i think the worst thing ive ever said about Sweed is that he needs to get his **** together or that he's been breaking my heart...I thought he was going to be great when we drafted him and he still has the potential he just needs to, well, get his **** together lol....

ejsteeler
04-12-2010, 11:30 AM
This is exactly what it boils down to. The FO has at least some confidence in this happening, especially if we make no other moves.
Think about it, if Sweed turns into the player most people (including myself) thinks he is and Wallace gets even better than he was last year, we are in pretty freaking good shape in that department....
I'm still morw worried about CB's than anything else.

Steel Trap86
04-12-2010, 11:30 AM
I like the guy too, but I'd like him some more if he stepped it up this season and scored me a game winning TD against the Bengals. If he does come through this season, I'd just say "better late then never"

SteelCityKid5
04-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Still a fan of Sweed and was with KTrain when he said it takes 3 years for a WR to pan out. I would imagine this season could be his last chance though.

cmerrifield
04-12-2010, 12:12 PM
I think Sweed could make or break the team this year, especially if we dont draft a reciever super early. If Sweed plays well and gets the playing time he needs to develop confidence and rythm, then we could be in great shape. Sweed, Wallace, Ward and Miller in three reciever sets would be excellent.

coldrolled
04-12-2010, 12:40 PM
exactly...i think the worst thing ive ever said about Sweed is that he needs to get his **** together or that he's been breaking my heart...I thought he was going to be great when we drafted him and he still has the potential he just needs to, well, get his **** together lol....

i told you guys, they fixed his lyme disease and he is now 100%

cmerrifield
04-12-2010, 12:42 PM
If that Lyme disease thing is true and Sweed has a breakout year, I think Ward, Wallace and Sweed, as our three reciever set, with Miller as TE, makes us difficult to defend, almost as hard as Indy was when it was Harrison, Wayne, Stokley and Clark

SteelCityKid5
04-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Yeah, can anyone clarify what exactly happened to Sweed at the end of the year? I always wondered what happened.

JensK
04-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Im not sure if its official or not, but Limes had Lyme disease which is some nasty nasty stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

coldrolled
04-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Yeah, can anyone clarify what exactly happened to Sweed at the end of the year? I always wondered what happened.

he is a country boy from the outback in north texas... they live amongst the deer. if you google lyme disease and sweed, there are a few articles.

i read he may have had it for 1 1/2 years... there are lots of side effects that would really hurt his game.

we shall see.

Blazedby92
04-12-2010, 01:25 PM
I will be the first to say I fell of the sweed's wagon halfway through the year but in the same breathe I also had really high hopes for the guy. I know a receiver takes 3 yrs USUALLY but I think he is done. Good and Great players figure these things out and I have yet to see this focus. Also the three years that teams give wr's isn't because the can't catch but of other things such as routes playbook, work ethic. It doesn't take a wr 3 years to remeber how to catch. Think about it he couldn't beat the rook out of his job all year and that tells me he could not even do in practice to convince the coaches and there isn't much pressure during practice.
Disease is just excuse and this isn't a post to start crap but my honest opinion:imho:

I really do hope I am wrong though, especially now.
C'mon Sweed show us the old Sweed

Silverback
04-12-2010, 02:11 PM
The one guy no one is really talking about in wake of the whole holmes thing is Heath Miller. I foresee a career year statistically for Heath, something like 1100 yrds 100 catches 12 tds.

Steel Trap86
04-12-2010, 02:18 PM
The one guy no one is really talking about in wake of the whole holmes thing is Heath Miller. I foresee a career year statistically for Heath, something like 1100 yrds 100 catches 12 tds.

:plus1: I said the same thing in the Holmes trade thread. Miller will have a big year :markit:

Blazedby92
04-12-2010, 03:36 PM

Yeah FO found he can't catch a ball anymore, this is nonsense about lyme disease is it contagious because maybe Frank Summers got it to and now he can't block but frank can run the ball like sweed can get open.
Sweed's stats:
Receiving Stats
YEAR TEAM G REC YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2008 PIT 11 6 64 10.7 17 0 4 1 0
2009 PIT 9 1 5 5.0 5 0 0 0 0
Career 20 7 69 9.9 17 0 4 1 0 \

Don't know how much he got thrown to but I am pretty damn sure he dropped more than he caught.
Can't no one tell me that he is good and not be able to catch anything.

Danger DANJ
04-12-2010, 03:42 PM
I've never read anything official about Lymes disease. Maybe he had it and maybe he didn't. If he did, that would certainly cause someones motor skills or eye hand coordination to decline. But, the last thing I had read, mentioned that he was depressed and homesick. The question is, was he depressed and homesick from the beginning and that caused him to lose focus? Or did he get depressed and homesick when he realized he can't catch anymore?

coldrolled
04-12-2010, 03:48 PM
I've never read anything official about Lymes disease. Maybe he had it and maybe he didn't. If he did, that would certainly cause someones motor skills or eye hand coordination to decline. But, the last thing I had read, mentioned that he was depressed and homesick. The question is, was he depressed and homesick from the beginning and that caused him to lose focus? Or did he get depressed and homesick when he realized he can't catch anymore?

is depression not a result of lyme disease also??

cmerrifield
04-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Here is the thing, Depression or Lyme disease can both be treated. Sweed has said that his problems on the field were due to the fact he has never had to come of the bench, play a down and then back to the bench. If he starts playing well, and gets some consistent play time, he will be fine. So lets get him cured or medicated or whatever and get him on the field. He had a couple of great catches in the preseason last year. He can still play and will prove it this year.

75Steeler
04-12-2010, 04:18 PM

He turns the corner fine now if he can just catch the ball and hold onto it we are in business. :lol:

coldrolled
04-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Here is the thing, Depression or Lyme disease can both be treated. Sweed has said that his problems on the field were due to the fact he has never had to come of the bench, play a down and then back to the bench. If he starts playing well, and gets some consistent play time, he will be fine. So lets get him cured or medicated or whatever and get him on the field. He had a couple of great catches in the preseason last year. He can still play and will prove it this year.

they treated him in nov or dec??

Stairwayto7
04-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Something is up with Sweed though, the way the Steelers just put him on the shelf last year, I trust thier opinion, something isn`t right with this kid, in my opinion