PDA

View Full Version : Santonio Holmes Traded to Jets

DanRooney
04-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets

Posted by Mike Florio on April 11, 2010 11:24 PM ET
What a strange weekend it has been for Santonio Holmes.

Yesterday, we reported that Holmes is facing a four-game suspension under the substance abuse policy. Tonight, we're told that the Steelers have traded Holmes to the New York Jets.

It's the second time in less than a year that the Jets have swung a deal for a former first-round receiver. Last October, they acquired Braylon Edwards from the Browns.

Like Holmes, Edwards also is facing a possible suspension, after pleading no contest to an assault that occurred only days before he was traded. Also, both players are signed through 2010.

Suddenly, HBO's Hard Knocks got a lot more interesting.

UPDATE: Peter King of SI.com and NBC confirms that it's a done deal. Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post reports that the Jets gave up a fifth-round draft pick for Holmes, who was the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII. A fifth-round draft pick for a former Super Bowl MVP.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

--- Added 4/11/2010 at 10:48 PM ---

This is absolutely disgusting. A 5th round pick for a 1200 yard receiver? Are you ****ing kidding me? Whoever was behind this move needs to be removed. I don't care if it's Art Rooney himself.

Prosdo
04-12-2010, 12:50 AM
If this is true I am going to be sick

strong D
04-12-2010, 12:51 AM
o its true

Zachintosh66
04-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Ben better not hold his breath...

Was hoping we would get more than a 5th... but after a thrid strike (2 arrests and the nightclub). Im betting the 4 game suspension will hold to be true now and its the final year of his contract.

Steel Impact
04-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets

Posted by Mike Florio on April 11, 2010 11:24 PM ET
What a strange weekend it has been for Santonio Holmes.

Yesterday, we reported that Holmes is facing a four-game suspension under the substance abuse policy. Tonight, we're told that the Steelers have traded Holmes to the New York Jets.

It's the second time in less than a year that the Jets have swung a deal for a former first-round receiver. Last October, they acquired Braylon Edwards from the Browns.

Like Holmes, Edwards also is facing a possible suspension, after pleading no contest to an assault that occurred only days before he was traded. Also, both players are signed through 2010.

Suddenly, HBO's Hard Knocks got a lot more interesting.

UPDATE: Peter King of SI.com and NBC confirms that it's a done deal. Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post reports that the Jets gave up a fifth-round draft pick for Holmes, who was the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII. A fifth-round draft pick for a former Super Bowl MVP.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

--- Added 4/11/2010 at 10:48 PM ---

This is absolutely disgusting. A 5th round pick for a 1200 yard receiver? Are you ****ing kidding me? Whoever was behind this move needs to be removed. I don't care if it's Art Rooney himself.

I totally agree.... I just logged in when I saw it flash on ESPN I could not believe it thats fine that the Steelers what to make Holmes the goat but 5th round pick I was thinking a 2nd wow

Prosdo
04-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Is he in more trouble than we all know or something? A fifth round pick???

Zachintosh66
04-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Is he in more trouble than we all know or something? A fifth round pick???

Other than 2 arrests rook yr, the night club and rumors of pissing dirty this offseason and will face a 4 game suspension coming up?

Hey someone dust off that Sweed bandwagon! :stirpot: :lol:

DanRooney
04-12-2010, 12:58 AM
I guess they figure he's only playing 12 games this season and had no intention of re-signing him after it ends. Get what you can get? But come on. Someone certainly would have gave us a better deal than a 5th.

Steel Impact
04-12-2010, 01:01 AM
As good as he is he picked the wrong time to screw up again end of story Steelers will get another Wr in the draft we have Wallace and they brought in Battle and randle el. I know there not holmes but no player is bogger than the team Steelers had to make an example. I agree just wish it was a 3rd even lol

SteelCityKid5
04-12-2010, 01:01 AM
But I was crazy for wanting to get rid of him?

Steel Impact
04-12-2010, 01:02 AM
I guess they figure he's only playing 12 games this season and had no intention of re-signing him after it ends. Get what you can get? But come on. Someone certainly would have gave us a better deal than a 5th.

My biggest fear is this is AFC playoff team they picked up cromartie and LT even though he is not the same player and added Holmes now.

Big T
04-12-2010, 01:03 AM
I am absolutely disgusted....I have lost a **** load of respect for the organization...I understand making an example of someone but if you are going to trade him then get fair value for him...this is absolutely disgusting and one of the worst trades I have ever seen...If this is the type of trades they are going to do, I might as well not watch the draft either....lets trade away pick 18 for a 4th and a fifth...sounds about right to me....F*CK THIS ****!!!!

BR7
04-12-2010, 01:07 AM
I am absolutely disgusted....I have lost a **** load of respect for the organization...I understand making an example of someone but if you are going to trade him then get fair value for him...this is absolutely disgusting and one of the worst trades I have ever seen...If this is the type of trades they are going to do, I might as well not watch the draft either....lets trade away pick 18 for a 4th and a fifth...sounds about right to me....F*CK THIS ****!!!!

agree

DanRooney
04-12-2010, 01:11 AM
As good as he is he picked the wrong time to screw up again end of story Steelers will get another Wr in the draft we have Wallace and they brought in Battle and randle el. I know there not holmes but no player is bogger than the team Steelers had to make an example. I agree just wish it was a 3rd even lol

We have Wallace, a guy who is going to be covered by #1 CBs and 2 scrubs that are a #4 and #5 receiver at best. Battle...really bro?

K Train
04-12-2010, 01:12 AM
battle and el....damn i cant wait to see that show, sex on turf

bryant, tate, benn will be a steeler in 2 weeks

scott0326
04-12-2010, 01:13 AM

AGREE. Im ****ing pissed..

JollyRob68
04-12-2010, 01:15 AM
They're now reporting its a 4th round pick. I knew he'd be traded but not for a 5th or a 4th. 4th is better than a 5th but KC,TAmpa both have 2 2nd rounders and they couldnt get one of them. Dallas for a 1st,Seattle has 2 1st or get there 2nd? What the H*ll. I understand getting something and not letting him walk after next year. However as Ed Bouchette of the post gazette stated he would be a restricted Free Agent with no CBA next year.

DanRooney
04-12-2010, 01:15 AM
I hope Santonio scores 5 TDs on William Gay when they play us

jcloss23
04-12-2010, 01:16 AM
Yeah, thats going to be a waste of a 1st round god damn draft pick, this makes me wanna puke. Hines numbers are going to drop drastically without a fully capable number 1 or 2 receiver behind him. I love wallace but he just isnt ready. Buh-Bye dreams of thomas or pouncey welcome in a new receiver...

Zachintosh66
04-12-2010, 01:17 AM
guaranteed Steelers will now move up after round one... be nice to get another second.

K Train
04-12-2010, 01:19 AM

this

i really cant wait to see the epicness of arnaz battle and randel el

scott0326
04-12-2010, 01:20 AM
This off season ****ing sucks. Steelers better have one hell of a draft.

strong D
04-12-2010, 01:20 AM
forget the draft tomlin doesnt know how to use his picks

JensK
04-12-2010, 01:23 AM
battle and el....damn i cant wait to see that show, sex on turf

They better damn use all their 5th round picks and whatnot to get another first round and get Bryant... If they did, i would be somewhat ok with the move... If not... I am pretty speachless right now really.

Steel Impact
04-12-2010, 01:25 AM
We have Wallace, a guy who is going to be covered by #1 CBs and 2 scrubs that are a #4 and #5 receiver at best. Battle...really bro?

Damn bro you have no faith in a organazation that has one 6 superbowls I think they know what there doing Holmes Is a thug with no respect for the Steelers organazation. We will be fine One WR does not make the whole team. Wow man I did not know we had jerry Rice on the team. How many chances did this clown have to clean up his act? He is facing a 4 game suspension and the Steelers were not going to re-sign him after this year.

Big T
04-12-2010, 01:26 AM
I hope Santonio has a Hall of Fame career with the Jets or whatever team he goes to after...Make them regret this Santonio...I love you and still have a man-crush on you...You will still be one of my favorite steelers :crying:

If the steelers were smart, they would get Denver on the phone right now and trade the 18th pick for Brandon Marshall...or a 2nd and all 14 of our 5th round picks...But, after this stunt, we know that they arent smart so it wont happen...But would love to see Brandon Marshall a Steeler..

scott0326
04-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Damn bro you have no faith in a organazation that has one 6 superbowls I think they know what there doing Holmes Is a thug with no respect for the Steelers organazation. We will be fine One WR does not make the whole team. Wow man I did not know we had jerry Rice on the team.
There is no way you can justifying them trading the ****ing super bowl MVP for a guy who will probably be cut in pre season. This is horrible move and this off season has been horrible. With Ben getting involved in sexual allegations and Holmes getting traded, every Steeler fan should be pissed. This is worst trade I've ever seen.

As I said before, if we don't have a hell of a draft, Im going to be ****ing pissed at this bullshit.

Also, Santonio Holmes is Jerry Rice talented compared to Arnaz Battle, Limas Sweed and Antwaan Randle El

--- Added 4/11/2010 at 11:28 PM ---

I hope Santonio has a Hall of Fame career with the Jets or whatever team he goes to after...Make them regret this Santonio...I love you and still have a man-crush on you...You will still be one of my favorite steelers :crying:

If the steelers were smart, they wpuld get Denver on the phone right now and trade the 18th pick for Brandon Marshall...or a 2nd and all 14 of our 5th round picks...But, after this stunt, we know that they arent smart so it wont happen...But would love to see Brandon Marshall a Steeler..

Now if that happened, Id be happy, but it wont.

JollyRob68
04-12-2010, 01:28 AM
They better damn use all their 5th round picks and whatnot to get another first round and get Bryant... If they did, i would be somewhat ok with the move... If not... I am pretty speachless right now really.

I dont think they'll take Dez Bryant because of character issues. I say Golden Tate or Arrelious Benn or DeMaryius Thomas.

DanRooney
04-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Damn bro you have no faith in a organazation that has one 6 superbowls I think they know what there doing Holmes Is a thug with no respect for the Steelers organazation. We will be fine One WR does not make the whole team. Wow man I did not know we had jerry Rice on the team. How many chances di dthis clown have to clean up his act? He is facing a 4 game suspension and the Steelers were not going to re-sign him after this year.

Santonio opened up things for Ward. Losing Holmes is like losing Ward. Sweed better step the **** up and win the #2 job.

I love Golden Tate in the draft (in the 2nd round) but he is the same type of possession receiver Ward is.

K Train
04-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Damn bro you have no faith in a organazation that has one 6 superbowls I think they know what there doing Holmes Is a thug with no respect for the Steelers organazation. We will be fine One WR does not make the whole team. Wow man I did not know we had jerry Rice on the team. How many chances did this clown have to clean up his act? He is facing a 4 game suspension and the Steelers were not going to re-sign him after this year.

thats all horse ****....the tomlin team ****ing sucks.

steelers have sucked at drafting the last few years, now they suck at everything else. this was a terrible move. you cant just drop the name rooney and make it ok like they are the be all end all of brilliant choices

JensK
04-12-2010, 01:31 AM
Damn bro you have no faith in a organazation that has one 6 superbowls I think they know what there doing Holmes Is a thug with no respect for the Steelers organazation. We will be fine One WR does not make the whole team. Wow man I did not know we had jerry Rice on the team.

Lets go through our WRs right now:

Mike Wallace - Super fast, but not a very good route-runner. He is not a legit 1st WR yet. Maybe in a couple of years, but right now, all he has is his Speed, which is great when you have a Holmes to take defenders away from you, but he'll be easy to defend if you can dobbelteam him.

Hines Ward - Still good, but too old and slow to be our 1st WR

Sweed - I love the kid, but dont count on it.

Randle El - He will make the team now, but he is done as WR in this league

Battle - ST at most

WR from the draft:

Bryant - He is going to dominate at some point, but i have little doubt that he will take a year or two to get real good

Benn - He is fast, but will need time. Not an instant fix

Tate - Meh...

Right now, we are kinda screwed. Should we try to go for Bryant would also mean that we dont get Pouncey or Earl Thomas which also would **** me off.. This is so horrible in so many ways that im not sure how to put it..

K Train
04-12-2010, 01:31 AM
Santonio opened up things for Ward. Losing Holmes is like losing Ward. Sweed better step the **** up and win the #2 job.

I love Golden Tate in the draft (in the 2nd round) but he is the same type of possession receiver Ward is.

hes nasty with the ball in his hands and has good leaping ability. hes more like steve smith and hines wards illegitimate love child. he offers way more deep ball and YAC than ward

Big T
04-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Brandon F*CKING Marshall

Steel Impact
04-12-2010, 01:34 AM

I agree with ya gravity i have respect of ur Steeler Knowledge...... all I'm saying is we have to live with it we got no choice Steelers wanted to make a statement for the other players and we all know Holmes was not getting resign. He has screwed up way to much and Rooneys are sick of it.

TEEMONT
04-12-2010, 01:34 AM
well...they did it...no use crying over spilt milk....I'll **** and moan after the draft....Marshall is still out there....

Prosdo
04-12-2010, 01:35 AM
Brandon F*CKING Marshall

You want them to get Marshall? Because if that is the case why would you make an example out of Holmes for someone who is trouble as well.

K Train
04-12-2010, 01:36 AM
they could have at least thrown in vernon gholston

K Train
04-12-2010, 01:37 AM
why couldnt william gay have smacked that bitch instead

Steel Impact
04-12-2010, 01:38 AM
why couldnt william gay have smacked that bitch instead

LOL..... And needed to fail like 3 drug test

$teelersRule
04-12-2010, 01:43 AM
we are so ****ed after this, i just dont get it. they just gave up their #1 receiver who had 1200 yards last year for a 5th round pick i think its the worst trade in the history of the NFL

JensK
04-12-2010, 01:51 AM
So... Marshall would come for a first rounder right?

MattyVfromCT
04-12-2010, 01:57 AM
we are so ****ed after this, i just dont get it. they just gave up their #1 receiver who had 1200 yards last year for a 5th round pick i think its the worst trade in the history of the NFL

i wouldn't go that far. the herschel walker trade to the vikings killed them for years, while the cowboys put together a 3 time super bowl winning dynasty with the picks minnesota gave them in return. it's possible that this can hurt us but let's wait and see what happens before going overboard. there is a possibility we will be trading up, etc

BFISHIN80
04-12-2010, 02:00 AM
Well...Im really not sure what to say about this. I do know one thing...whoever keeps suggesting Brandon Marshall needs thier head examined. We need to sign Bill Cowher, Golden Tate and Jimmy Clausen...hahaha.

Big T
04-12-2010, 02:03 AM
So... Marshall would come for a first rounder right?

Id give up 18 for him without hesitation now...he's a top 5 WR in this league...sure he's a bit immature at times but a change of scenery might be what he needs...

JensK
04-12-2010, 02:04 AM
Id give up 18 for him without hesitation now...he's a top 5 WR in this league...sure he's a bit immature at times but a change of scenery might be what he needs...

Would still sicken me. I want Thomas or Pouncey dang it!?

Ochocinco comments on the trade

# @nflcommish- Mr. Goodell the NY Jets are unfairly loading their team up with great players like the Yankees do, we need to stop this now! about 1 hour ago via Swift

Can someone please explain why the Pittsburgh Steelers traded Santonio Holmes to the Jets?

SnakeEyes43
04-12-2010, 02:06 AM
This sucks, but we still have two vets in Ward and ARE, plus two young guys in Wallace and Sweed. Yes Sweed has dropped the ball, literally, at every chance he has had, but maybe this could be huge opportunity for him. IDK, I still have a little faith in Sweed, and a lot of faith in our other three WRs. I will miss Holmes, but this isn't the end of the world for the Steeler nation...

BFISHIN80
04-12-2010, 02:07 AM
0% chance of signing Marshall...People need to just quit bringing this guys name up. They got rid of one headache...they arent gonna sign another one.

JensK
04-12-2010, 02:09 AM
This sucks, but we still have two vets in Ward and ARE, plus two young guys in Wallace and Sweed. Yes Sweed has dropped the ball, literally, at every chance he has had, but maybe this could be huge opportunity for him. IDK, I still have a little faith in Sweed, and a lot of faith in our other three WRs. I will miss Holmes, but this isn't the end of the world for the Steeler nation...

We still dont have a legit 1st WR... None of those WR you mentioned can get open on a consist basis without someone pulling coverage away from them.

--- Added 4/12/2010 at 12:09 AM ---

You all know what time it is:

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/9493/coreyivylimassweed.jpg

Danger DANJ
04-12-2010, 02:11 AM
I'm truly sick to my stomach right now! WTF?! A 5th round pick? Please tell me there is a player involved that we haven't heard about yet?

If they don't get Marshall or acquire a second 1st round pick so they can get a WR and Thomas or Pouncey, I'm going to be pissed!

In the future, if Holmes messes up again and fails another drug test or becomes another Plax, the Steelers will have the last laugh. But, right now, they are the joke of the NFL.

JensK
04-12-2010, 02:13 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/12/leon-washington-can-be-part-of-trade-package-only-after-signing-his-tender/

Leon Washington can be part of trade package only after signing his tender
Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2010 12:50 AM ET
There are rumors flying in the wake of the trade that sent receiver Santonio Holmes from the Steelers to the Jets that the compensation package includes both a fifth-round draft pick and running back Leon Washington.

Though we're not yet prepared to declare with 100 percent certainty that this rumor is off the mark, it's highly unlikely that Washington would be part of the deal. In order to be traded, Washington must first sign his restricted free agency tender offer. Given the apparent speed with which this deal transpired, it's unlikely that Washington inked the deal before the Steelers and the Jets worked out their trade.

That said, it's possible that the Jets and Steelers have a wink-nod baseball-style "future considerations" arrangement, whereby Washington will be shipped to Pittsburgh at a later date.

Possible, but not likely.

Big T
04-12-2010, 02:15 AM
i was just about to post that ^^^....even if he were part of the deal, Im still disgusted

SteelrFan
04-12-2010, 02:15 AM
I hate it that the Steelers are trading away Holmes. He was a clutch receiver whom without they wouldn't have had 6 Superbowls. Then again change is one thing we can all count on. Whats next? Ben for a # 1 pick?

JensK
04-12-2010, 02:17 AM
i was just about to post that ^^^....even if he were part of the deal, Im still disgusted

Yep... Although i would not hurt as much, depending on what shape Leon is in after that injury last year. gdi, i hate you Steelers :banging:

srsly a fifth round pick.... I could understand if it was Sweed we traded, but Holmes...

BFISHIN80
04-12-2010, 02:36 AM
hahahahaha....I still cant believe it....a 5th!!!!!

Steel Trap86
04-12-2010, 02:57 AM
don't even know what to say other then this could be the all time worst trade i've ever heard of in my f*cking life. why why whyyy would you cut holmes loose for a f*cking 5th rounder. who the hell would we ever get out of the 5th round that would even remotely contribute to this team as much as holmes. he's good for at least 1000 yards a season and another superbowl winning catch, so he smokes a little weed and uses foul language on "twitter"

i think holmes is taking a bit of heat for ben's mistakes

DanRooney
04-12-2010, 02:57 AM
Steelers front office needs to give the fans a ****ing break. Bad news over and over again.

Big T
04-12-2010, 03:01 AM
Steelers front office needs to give the fans a ****ing break. Bad news over and over again.

No doubt...Brandon Marshall would be a nice break:yellowthumb:...not trying to get too greedy here but is a decent draft too much to ask for?

SnakeEyes43
04-12-2010, 03:05 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers will be fine! Chill everyone. We have Hines, ARE, Wallace, Battle, and Sweed. Heath is always a favorite target for Ben as well in sticky situations. We may not have a clear "number one" WR, but all these guys have talent. Yes Battle may be a SP player for the most part, but he has talent and he will catch some balls if needed. And Sweed has tons of potential, if he can just have some self-confidence in his abilities. This is a huge opportunity for Sweed. Ward and Wallace will produce, and I have a feeling ARE will have a decent year as well. Holmes isn't this offense by any means; if Ben stays healthy (and keeps his pants on), this offense will produce with these WRs, I guarantee it. Don't get me wrong, I WILL miss Holmes, and this was a BAD move by the Steelers imho, but the Steelers will not fall out of Championship contention because Holmes is gone. We'll have to wait until after the draft as well to see who the Steelers go after. Maybe this Washington rumor will come true and take some of the sting away. Either way I feel like a lot of people are over-reacting. The Steelers will be just fine.
Of course this is just my :2cents: .

Steel Trap86
04-12-2010, 03:16 AM
i'm on board with the marshall hunt

somebody get him a f*ckin jersey

--- Added 4/12/2010 at 01:16 AM ---

The Pittsburgh Steelers will be fine! Chill everyone. We have Hines, ARE, Wallace, Battle, and Sweed. Heath is always a favorite target for Ben as well in sticky situations. We may not have a clear "number one" WR, but all these guys have talent. Yes Battle may be a SP player for the most part, but he has talent and he will catch some balls if needed. And Sweed has tons of potential, if he can just have some self-confidence in his abilities. This is a huge opportunity for Sweed. Ward and Wallace will produce, and I have a feeling ARE will have a decent year as well. Holmes isn't this offense by any means; if Ben stays healthy (and keeps his pants on), this offense will produce with these WRs, I guarantee it. Don't get me wrong, I WILL miss Holmes, and this was a BAD move by the Steelers imho, but the Steelers will not fall out of Championship contention because Holmes is gone. We'll have to wait until after the draft as well to see who the Steelers go after. Maybe this Washington rumor will come true and take some of the sting away. Either way I feel like a lot of people are over-reacting. The Steelers will be just fine.
Of course this is just my :2cents: .

are u kidding me? over reacting? this team just traded away its top receiver for a 5th round draft pick...we cut holmes loose for basically nothing. while this is about losing holmes himself it is also about the lack of f*cking brains involved with this rediculous trade. over reacting bro? wake up and take a look at what just happened, a better look. :banging:

SnakeEyes43
04-12-2010, 03:21 AM
are u kidding me? over reacting? this team just traded away its top receiver for a 5th round draft pick...we cut holmes loose for basically nothing. while this is about losing holmes himself it is also about the lack of f*cking brains involved with this rediculous trade. over reacting bro? wake up and take a look at what just happened, a better look. :banging:[/QUOTE]

Uhh yea...I said it WAS a bad move, I believe I mentioned that...please read my entire response before replying to it. It was a dumb move on the Steelers part, but I was pointing out that we still have a solid core of vet WR and fresh talent. Trying to be positive, sorry. I will miss Holmes, but this team will succeed with or without him. This was not a good move, but it's not the end of the world. And we still have to see what moves the Steelers make in the draft.

Big T
04-12-2010, 03:22 AM
are u kidding me? over reacting? this team just traded away its top receiver for a 5th round draft pick...we cut holmes loose for basically nothing. while this is about losing holmes himself it is also about the lack of f*cking brains involved with this rediculous trade. over reacting bro? wake up and take a look at what just happened, a better look. :banging:

I think I'd be less mad if they just cut him...dont get me wrong, Id still be furious, but this trade is insulting...

DanRooney
04-12-2010, 03:38 AM
We couldn't even have gotten Leon Washington out of the deal?

SnakeEyes43
04-12-2010, 03:41 AM
We couldn't even have gotten Leon Washington out of the deal?

I believe there is a rumor that he may have been a part of the deal some how...it's not on ESPN or NFL.com so there's no real credibility yet, but someone on this thread mentioned this. That would take some of the sting away, but it's a bad deal still.

Steel Trap86
04-12-2010, 03:53 AM
Uhh yea...I said it WAS a bad move, I believe I mentioned that...please read my entire response before replying to it. It was an dumb move on the Steelers part, but I was pointing out that we still have a solid core of vet WR and fresh talent. I will miss Holmes, but this team will succeed with or without him. This was not a good move, but it's not the end of the world. And we still have to see what moves the Steelers make in the draft.

no its not the end of the world, but to say that we are "over reacting" 15 minutes after Holmes, our top receiver, just got cut loose and didn't receive proper value in return is a little crazy. yes we do still have a good receiving core, but as much as I love Ward he's going to burn out soon, maybe 2 years...wallace looked promising for a rookie, I think the main reason I like El is because of that Superbowl bomb he threw to Ward, other then that Randle El is decent, hopefully he can boost our offense with some trick plays if bruce loses that f*cking playbook. Miller & Ward are going to be our go to guys.
Holmes is in his prime and it's just a **** off to see him go so soon after an epic superbowl win.

btw the Jets are gonna tear **** up this season and if i'm not mistaken they play at Heinz..I'm going to have to decide which game, Patriots or Jets...I don't know if I can pass up heckling Brady tho

Tr305
04-12-2010, 04:47 AM
wow dats all i can say... never been more shocked in my life... i dnt see any good dat can cum from this at all... thise messes up other areas we needed to address in the draft

STEEL CITY TANK
04-12-2010, 04:49 AM
I believe there is a rumor that he may have been a part of the deal some how...it's not on ESPN or NFL.com so there's no real credibility yet, but someone on this thread mentioned this. That would take some of the sting away, but it's a bad deal still.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817772e1&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Its on NFL.com....I think this is one of the worst f***ing transactions I have ever seen....he could have been shopped around for a much better trade....I'm beyond disappointed with this offseason as of so far...there's no way to explain or justify on terms of quality on the field and value with Santonio for a 5th rd pick. Now we have Hines at #1, Wallace at #2, and Randle El or Battle at #3 (unless we're blessed with a miracle of sweed stepping way up) now we have four 5th round picks.....:cursin::willybs::banging:

DanRooney
04-12-2010, 04:56 AM
Hines is not a #1 receiver and will not be covered by a #1 CB. He probably runs a 5.3 40. Wallace is the #1 now. It's that ****ing bad.

Big T
04-12-2010, 05:11 AM
Hines is not a #1 receiver and will not be covered by a #1 CB. He probably runs a 5.3 40. Wallace is the #1 now. It's that ****ing bad.

completely agree....

STEEL CITY TANK
04-12-2010, 05:12 AM

As far as knowing routes and plays he's the #1, but he's towards the end of his career which makes it very bad that we traded a proven WR thats only 26 so now we have to fit in a wr in this draft or next years draft.....and if we end up spending a 1st-3rd rd pick for a wr we'll be picking at a position which we did not need to address before this incident...we're creating problems instead of solving them, we should have either kept Holmes until his contract was up or traded him for someone or a pick in the 1st-3rd round

scudmissile29
04-12-2010, 06:43 AM
ALL U IDIOTS THAT SAID THAT ME AND ROB WERE IDIOTS

DONT DRINK THE POISON TONIGHT

INSTEAD

LETS WAKE AND BAKE

--- Added 4/12/2010 at 03:27 AM ---

The 5th round pick can actually move us up draft boards.

I'm sure it won't be as bad as it seems

--- Added 4/12/2010 at 03:32 AM ---

To be honest Marhsall isn't so much a crybaby It's what the organization did shopping out his quarterback and and firing the head coach.

--- Added 4/12/2010 at 04:43 AM ---

I can see why this is just a 5th rounder.

It's pretty much a 1 year rental with 4 games ban.

I still would of traded him in the draft to move up spots.

steelersbabex25
04-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Haven't read all these comments, and I'm sure this has already been said..but this is one of the DUMBEST things the Steelers have ever done. Wallace, IMO, is not good enough to be a #1 reciever, Ward is not fast enough to be a #1 reciever. If you're going to trade Holmes to the Jets, try and trade him for a first or second round draft pick, not a fifth. Makes absolutely no sense. So so stupid.

scudmissile29
04-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Haven't read all these comments, and I'm sure this has already been said..but this is one of the DUMBEST things the Steelers have ever done. Wallace, IMO, is not good enough to be a #1 reciever, Ward is not fast enough to be a #1 reciever. If you're going to trade Holmes to the Jets, try and trade him for a first or second round draft pick, not a fifth. Makes absolutely no sense. So so stupid.

no your an idiot.

we cant trade him for a 1st or 2nd because he may not resign with the jets and is suspended.

Theres a reason why nobody wanted Vick last year because of suspensions. Same with Santonio and the lawsuit

use your ****ing brains for once

just saying not directed at you at everyone.

everyone thought i was a retard for wanting to deal holmes or that the rooneys would and then they wonder why not a high draft pick :yellowthumb:

steelersgal86
04-12-2010, 07:48 AM
:wtf: for a 5th round draft pick...damn what a bad off-season...not to mention I am going to have nothing to wear :cursin:

scudmissile29
04-12-2010, 08:01 AM
:wtf: for a 5th round draft pick...damn what a bad off-season...not to mention I am going to have nothing to wear :cursin:

Put your Wallace jersey on and show support for the dude, he was going to be a better wide reciever anyway im stand by that comment since week 3 :cope: :cope: :cope:

LarryNJ
04-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Wow... I just woke and I feel like baking!

I would hope that Kevin Colbert has another move up his sleeve that he'll announce very soon.

cmerrifield
04-12-2010, 08:20 AM
I agree this deal SUCKS, but whose fault is it? Would you give up more than a first round pick for a guy who is being investigated for assault and at most can only play 12 games this year and has said basically "SHOW ME THE MONEY." I read if Holmes is suspended for 4 games, its because he has failed multiple drug tests, not just 1. So, maybe this is all we could get for Holmes, maybe there is more to the trade, we dont know about yet. I think this may have been all the value we could have gotten out of Holmes.

SteelerSal
04-12-2010, 08:46 AM
I agree this deal SUCKS, but whose fault is it? Would you give up more than a first round pick for a guy who is being investigated for assault and at most can only play 12 games this year and has said basically "SHOW ME THE MONEY." I read if Holmes is suspended for 4 games, its because he has failed multiple drug tests, not just 1. So, maybe this is all we could get for Holmes, maybe there is more to the trade, we dont know about yet. I think this may have been all the value we could have gotten out of Holmes.

Good post. :plus1:

Not only did Holmes screw up multiple times but he also screwed us.

Captcoolhand
04-12-2010, 08:51 AM
If there is any truth to this or not, Holmes brought alot of grief to the table. I would be surprise if He last beyond the next season on this team. He seems to be showing everything he can to get dropped/traded. Maybe TO jr should realize that Star players get paid, not team *******s. :2cents:

I'm sure Holmes will be put on the block and wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers entertain a trade in this years draft. IMO.
Man did I call this or what!

I just didn't think it would take place this soon or that it would be such a bad trade....:duh:

lloydfan4life
04-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Well, let me be the first to say.... I'm GLAD the diva is gone! :clap:
Not very happy with a 5th for him, but it is what it is.
Go catch balls and flex your muscles for the cameras in NY.
This team is WAY MORE than one player.

Time for Sweed to step up.

Hope this wakes your *** up, Mr Roethlisberger!
You're not immune if you keep screwing up.
Although after this trade we'd probably only get a 3rd for Ben. :duh:

Zachintosh66
04-12-2010, 08:54 AM
0% chance of signing Marshall...People need to just quit bringing this guys name up. They got rid of one headache...they arent gonna sign another one.

Amen! Quit saying BM, it wont happen.

Originally Posted by cmerrifield

Again, Amen... I think there has to be a little bit more to this, perhaps his personallity in the locker room and/or on the field too. That stuff none of us know nothing about. With 2 arrests, the nightclub, the "show me the money" next year talk and now 4 game suspension. Thats too many strikes... Ben better be paying attention.

steelcityrockers
04-12-2010, 08:59 AM
this

i really cant wait to see the epicness of arnaz battle and randel el

Wildcat ftw?

coldrolled
04-12-2010, 09:01 AM

if he signs without a trade with another team. basically we release him.

do you get a compensatory pick, his salary is 755,000 so would that not be a 5th either way?

BlitzburghRockCity
04-12-2010, 09:07 AM

Absolutely agree, this is total and absolute utter failure on the part of the organization. Don't give me this crap of "we only want upstanding players on this team" either. Holmes is a super bowl mvp, he's a big time performer on the field and you are going to tell me that you are going to trade him for 5th round pick...he was a 1st rounder??? Absolute, total, complete, 100% FAILURE!! If you want to trade him, then fine, but don't just GIVE him away. And also I don't want to hear this crap of "well he was going to be a free agent and wanted a lot of money so let's just try and get something for him" either! A 5th round pick, you might as well just F'n give him away!!!!

Who here on this board thinks Ward can last an entire season healthy? Not one of you that's for sure! Who here can say with absolute certainty that Wallace is ready to be a go to guy and the #2 man opposite Ward? Not one of you that's for sure. Sweed is a bust, ARE is decent backup but you can't go into a season counting on him to be an every down WR at this point. I would hope he can be, but you just never know. This team has, in 1 swift blow, crippled the offense for 2010, at this point. You need 3 good WR's in this day and age, and right now we don't have it.

A Pac
04-12-2010, 09:08 AM
I was shocked that they only got a fifth rounder for him. It just shows that the Roonys wanted him gone asap.

SteelerSal
04-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Absolutely agree, this is total and absolute utter failure on the part of the organization. Don't give me this crap of "we only want upstanding players on this team" either. Holmes is a super bowl mvp, he's a big time performer on the field and you are going to tell me that you are going to trade him for 5th round pick...he was a 1st rounder??? Absolute, total, complete, 100% FAILURE!! If you want to trade him, then fine, but don't just GIVE him away. And also I don't want to hear this crap of "well he was going to be a free agent and wanted a lot of money so let's just try and get something for him" either! A 5th round pick, you might as well just F'n give him away!!!!

Who here on this board thinks Ward can last an entire season healthy? Not one of you that's for sure! Who here can say with absolute certainty that Wallace is ready to be a go to guy and the #2 man opposite Ward? Not one of you that's for sure. Sweed is a bust, ARE is decent backup but you can't go into a season counting on him to be an every down WR at this point. I would hope he can be, but you just never know. This team has, in 1 swift blow, crippled the offense for 2010, at this point. You need 3 good WR's in this day and age, and right now we don't have it.

I can see your frustration and understand where your coming from but I felt this way when Burress (not that I liked him) left and it was all for nothing......we will get through this and players will step up to fill the void whether they are already on the roster or through the draft.
If we were able to do it with Ward, Randle El and Wilson, I'm sure we can with any trio of WR's we have on the roster now. :yellowthumb:

coldrolled
04-12-2010, 09:24 AM

i said last week, sign him cheap now for 4 years and trade him later.

trade him around t-day when some good teams lose a WR and need one real bad.

--- Added 4/12/2010 at 07:24 AM ---

I was shocked that they only got a fifth rounder for him. It just shows that the Roonys wanted him gone asap.

TO or Marshall will be here sometime tuesday....

steelcitysfinestXL
04-12-2010, 09:28 AM
I really dont know why everyone is so shocked by this. This was a move to show the rest of the team: "NO ONE IS ABOVE THE ORGANIZATION... ANYMORE!" They let it go on with Harrison, Ben, Holmes but cut Cedrick Wilson. It was appearant if you could play, you could stay.

Theres a good reason why they only got a 5th for him... i wouldnt be suprised if FO set the price at a 3rd or 4th and the jets offered up a 5th and got him. If FO dealt him to the Bucs or Panthers... it doesnt send near the message as the trade they made:
1. You send him to the NFC, to a team you may see once every 3-5 years.
2. If you get a 2nd or 1st for him, it looks like: "Yeah, the steelers did the right thing by dealing him... but they only did it cause it worked out in their favor by getting a top 64 pick!"

I love this move for the sake of the organization... ive been a fan of holmes since his OSU days. He was of my favorite players to watch and i didnt want to see him go. But im glad FO had the stones to stand up for what they have been preaching since day one.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-12-2010, 09:29 AM
I can't even begin to express the amount of frustration over this move! Even if you spend your 1st round pick on WR, we all know they aren't ready to step in and be a big time contributor right away. Thank you very much Mr. Rooney, I hope you are happy with yourself!

LatrobePA
04-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Holy ****, but I called this a week ago!!

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24428

5th round pick??? We got f'n robbed!!

acero
04-12-2010, 09:48 AM
mr. colbert is messing our team up, i wouldnt be surprissed if he messes up the draft too, he deserves too be let go

we should have gotten a 3rd rd draft choice

he is going to draft 2 rd value at the first round

A Pac
04-12-2010, 09:55 AM
enter golden tate?

LatrobePA
04-12-2010, 09:59 AM
AFCN title will go to.....................Ravens, Bengals, Steeler tied with the Browns this year!

So does this mean we are a running team now??

**** poor move, Tomlin and crew should be stoned!!

K Train
04-12-2010, 10:02 AM

this....100%

coldrolled
04-12-2010, 10:10 AM
AFCN title will go to.....................Ravens, Bengals, Steeler tied with the Browns this year!

So does this mean we are a running team now??

**** poor move, Tomlin and crew should be stoned!!

you have to trade BA for a 7th for that to happen...

--- Added 4/12/2010 at 08:10 AM ---

mr. colbert is messing our team up, i wouldnt be surprissed if he messes up the draft too, he deserves too be let go

we should have gotten a 3rd rd draft choice

he is going to draft 2 rd value at the first round

you sure maybe that: if you lie about a witness and make up a story to save your butt... do you go to jail longer??? maybe the bar incident is not over either?

Ibleedblk&gld
04-12-2010, 10:16 AM
very disappointed by this...wouldn't mind seeing brandon marshall in the black and gold...but he's not the best role model either...

LatrobePA
04-12-2010, 10:17 AM
No player is bigger than the organization (except tomlins bff Ben).

PsychoWard
04-12-2010, 10:32 AM
:wtf: a fifth round ****ing pick are you kidding me????? I just got sick to my stomach!

TampaSteelGirl
04-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm NOT happy with this...and I can't believe he got away so cheap!!! The Rooneys better know what they are doing....What is Ben next?? Doesn't seem fair to get rid of Holmes when Ben has 2 sexual assult charges on him. Wonder if it was a scare tactic for Ben....I'm not happy and while I love Randel El..he's not a Santonio caliber WR now!!

Big mistake!!!

Danger DANJ
04-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Looks like the Leon Washington rumor is all but dead... according to Peter King, Washington is not part of the trade.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36415689/sports/player_news

So many people commenting on articles about the trade asking why Ben is safe when he has had off the field trouble too. Some are even using the race card. Honestly, Holmes wasn't traded because of the nightclub incident, but because of his failed drug test and love for Mary Jane. If it was a race thing, Harrison would have been gone. Ben hasn't been convicted or even arrested for anything. I sure hope to hear he won't be today, but if he is, I can see him being traded too.

Prosdo
04-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Looks like the Leon Washington rumor is all but dead... according to Peter King, Washington is not part of the trade.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36415689/sports/player_news

So many people commenting on articles about the trade asking why Ben is safe when he has had off the field trouble too. Some are even using the race card. Honestly, Holmes wasn't traded because of the nightclub incident, but because of his failed drug test and love for Mary Jane. If it was a race thing, Harrison would have been gone. Ben hasn't been convicted or even arrested for anything. I sure hope to hear he won't be today, but if he is, I can see him being traded too.

Ben is not gone because he is the quarterback. Quarterbacks are held to a different standard in this league. Also Ben was not on Twitter telling people to kill themselves or whatever. Santonio being a diva is what helped him on his way out of Pittsburgh.

LatrobePA
04-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Losing Holmes is just as bad as losing Ben IMO...Production will be down this year even if they go WR 1st round...

I'm not saying I love or hate this move just shocked he was traded for a 5th rounder, that is where I lost it!!

Danger DANJ
04-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Ben is not gone because he is the quarterback. Quarterbacks are held to a different standard in this league. Also Ben was not on Twitter telling people to kill themselves or whatever. Santonio being a diva is what helped him on his way out of Pittsburgh.

Yesterday, I never would have thought the Steelers would entertain the idea of sacking Ben... but as of last night, it would not surprise me at all. I realize trading a franchise QB is different but the fact they traded Holmes for a 5th shows the front office is not thinking clearly.

ward86steelers
04-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Posted this in the WR forum. You think T.O. has contacted Pittsburgh?

SteelCityKid5
04-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Everyone cry now but cheer when this works out in the end like you always do. I'll remember everyone calling this organization DUMB and how they "lost respect" after one move. Santonio Holmes is a diva wide out who now can make one phone call for his pot in NY. The Rooney's stepped up and showed they had balls to move this guy. And don't even compare this with Ben. A franchise quarterback and a wide receiver are two completely different positions. Wide receivers and running backs are a dime a dozen. I am losing no sleep over trading Santonio and that isnt because I didnt like him in the first place. The 5th round pick shows that thats the most teams were willing to give up for this guy. Id rather have a 5th round pick with we can trade and move up in a round with that just release him for nothing. How many 5th round picks do we have now?

K Train
04-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Everyone cry now but cheer when this works out in the end like you always do. I'll remember everyone calling this organization DUMB and how they "lost respect" after one move. Santonio Holmes is a diva wide out who now can make one phone call for his pot in NY. The Rooney's stepped up and showed they had balls to move this guy. And don't even compare this with Ben. A franchise quarterback and a wide receiver are two completely different positions. Wide receivers and running backs are a dime a dozen. I am losing no sleep over trading Santonio and that isnt because I didnt like him in the first place. The 5th round pick shows that thats the most teams were willing to give up for this guy. Id rather have a 5th round pick with we can trade and move up in a round with that just release him for nothing. How many 5th round picks do we have now?

sounds like a homer that is just blindly believing the rooneys are the be all end all champions of the universe

your post doesnt apply to me at all, i wont be cheering later for this. im 100% opposed, it was an awful move and no one can justify it. i dont care if hes a diva, the man produced which is what matters in the end.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
A 5th round pick is all they were willing to give up because his contract is up next year so they aren't going to give up a 1st rounder or even a 2nd on him if they can't guarantee he'll be around next year. Hence the reason the team was stupid for making this move; there is no reason you trade your 1st round, SB MVP, for a 5th rounder, I don't care what his problem is. Holmes wasn't charged, the dude who threw the glass stepped up and admitted it, he's not in jail right now, getting rid of him was NOT the answer.

Thanks for nothing Rooney!!!

SteelerSal
04-12-2010, 11:17 AM
I guess a 5th is better than nothing....

Steelers were ready to cut Holmes before trade
Monday, April 12, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-GazetteThe Steelers were prepared to release wide receiver Santonio Holmes had they not been able to trade him, sources told the Post-Gazette today.

They took the best deal they could find late Sunday night -- a fifth-round choice in the April 22-24 draft from the New York Jets. It was the best offer they received after talking to a number of other NFL teams about trading Holmes.

The trade came one day after a report on Profootballtalk.com that Holmes faces a four-game suspension in the 2010 season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, which was confirmed today by the Post-Gazette.

Although it has not been announced whether Holmes will be charged in Orlando after a woman claimed he threw a glass in her face at a club early last month, the Steelers obviously had enough with their sometimes brilliant but often troubled wide receiver.

Holmes helped deliver the franchise its sixth Lombardi Trophy with his spectacular touchdown catch that won Super Bowl XL and brought him the game's MVP trophy. That came several months after coach Mike Tomlin made him inactive for one game after his arrest for marijuana by Pittsburgh police, a charge that ultimately was dropped.

He also was charged twice in his rookie year, once for disorderly conduct and once for choking a former girlfriend, but was not convicted on either account.

After the woman in Orlando filed a civil suit against him last month, Holmes issued some bizarre comments on his Twitter account, telling one person to kill himself and announcing another time that he was going to "wake n bake," considered by some to be slang for smoking marijuana.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10102/1049772-66.stm#ixzz0ktZgVKm0

BlackGold4vr
04-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Steelers were ready to cut Holmes before trade
The Steelers were prepared to release wide receiver Santonio Holmes had they not been able to trade him, sources told the Post-Gazette today (Today)

This is why they took a 5th round pick. Its better than getting nothing! I know its hard losing talented players but im not ready to dissolve the franchise and become a Browns fan just yet. They have lost talented players before aka Rod Woodson and yet the franchise survived. We still have Wallace to stretch the field and ARE is a good slot receiver. And I believe we will pick up another WR in this draft. All this move did was move up the timetable on Holmes departure because all the rumors were that he was going to hold out next year for top 5 money. No way the Steelers would have ever paid him that!

:2cents:

SteelerSal
04-12-2010, 11:20 AM
This is why they took a 5th round pick. Its better than getting nothing! I know its hard losing talented players but im not ready to dissolve the franchise and become a Browns fan just yet. They have lost talented players before aka Rod Woodson and yet the franchise survived. We still have Wallace to stretch the field and ARE is a good slot receiver. And I believe we will pick up another WR in this draft. All this move did was move up the timetable on Holmes departure because all the rumors were that he was going to hold out next year for top 5 money. No way the Steelers would have ever paid him that!

:2cents:

:plus1: As we have in the past we will overcome this also.

LatrobePA
04-12-2010, 11:21 AM
5th round pick trading out of our North Div. I'm betting Cinci or Cleve would of went after him with better picks...

Prosdo
04-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Well at least the draft isn't too far away. It's going to make draft day even more interesting.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-12-2010, 11:28 AM
The more I think about this the more it disgusts me. Players always talk about wanting lots of money in a contract year, there's no guarantee he wouldn't have come back for a fair price. Maybe he would maybe he wouldn't, but the fact is a 5th rounder is the same as releasing him. Our day 2 drafting STINKS, look at the recent drafts over the last 5 years and show me how many of those players are even on the team, let alone making an impact on the field. We're now forced to use a high round pick on a WR or go get one in FA when we could have used that pick on a bigger need. WR's take atleast 2 years to become consistent threats usually, sometimes 3 years. There are exceptions to the rule, but overall it's a position that takes time to develop.

I for one will not cheer this move ever, either. It was the wrong move right now, period.

I swear this organization is it's own worst enemy sometimes.

K Train
04-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Randel El is ****ing terrible.

a 5th round pick is not better than nothing, this teams draft picking in the later rounds has been dismal, i would have honestly rather have had them cut him than end up with another ****** draft pick that im sure will be used on some **** bag like frank summers. i have zero faith n the tomlin/colbert duo to draft, let alone draft past the 3rd round

ejsteeler
04-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Hated to see him go and wish him the best of luck. :clap:
He's gonna blow our secondary away when they come to town I fear. :evilshake:
However, no way of knowing how this will work out for us until later. Here's hoping there is something going on we have no knowledge of.....:crossfingers:
Good or bad, I'll still pull for my team. :cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-12-2010, 11:41 AM
This is a win win win all the way around for the Jets, a 5th round pick is nothing to anybody. If he gets in more trouble or doesn't pan out they can just not sign him to a new deal and let him walk after next season. Meanwhile we sit back with our awesome 5th round draft pick who by that time will be flipping burgers at McDonalds because he won't even make the team.

Colbert & Tomlin have not shown any ability to draft day 2 players with any consistency; hell even Cowher's draft years we had atleast some of the day 2 players actually be solid contributors.

Silverback
04-12-2010, 11:44 AM
O good morning!

**** my life.
Santonio makes the green look like crack, why can't he be more subtle about it like the rest of america.

coldrolled
04-12-2010, 11:44 AM
SteelcitysfinestXL had this one pegged....

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that had the Steelers not found a trade partner, they would have released Holmes, which should shed a little light on those who have acted like the Steelers somehow got fleeced in this trade for the former Super Bowl MVP.

K Train
04-12-2010, 11:45 AM
the steelers are getting worse and the rest of the division is getting better. they arent to far away from being bottom of the division **** bags. they are running the team into the ground to make an example out of their best WR? awesome.

****ing idiots

i hope he tears the steelers to pieces when we play the jets, just to say **** you to this idiotic front office and coaching staff

TampaSteelGirl
04-12-2010, 11:50 AM

This is VERY true!!! :yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
04-12-2010, 11:51 AM
the steelers are getting worse and the rest of the division is getting better. they arent to far away from being bottom of the division **** bags. they are running the team into the ground to make an example out of their best WR? awesome.

****ing idiots

i hope he tears the steelers to pieces when we play the jets, just to say **** you to this idiotic front office and coaching staff

:clap::clap::clap:

coldrolled
04-12-2010, 11:51 AM

****ing idiots

they will be idiots if they dont spend a few million on (TO or equivalent) right now.

holmes screwed us.. not the FO, and only big cash can fix this one. so if the FO doesnt buy someone large then yes they are idiots.

K Train
04-12-2010, 11:52 AM
i hope ben gets accused of rape again this week

LatrobePA
04-12-2010, 11:57 AM
I love that I called something big coming a week ago and I got laughed at and CORRECTED for calling Holmes a SCAPEGOAT!

"who's laughing now o-line"!!

K Train
04-12-2010, 11:59 AM
i posted on draft countdown last night at 9:44 that smoke=fire and i dont think holmes is gonna be on the team much longer i just had a bad feeling.

2 hours later hes gone

Ironman
04-12-2010, 11:59 AM
O good morning!

**** my life.
Santonio makes the green look like crack, why can't he be more subtle about it like the rest of america.

haha!!! My thoughts exactly... the guy is giving weed a bad name...

Like everyone else, I'm delusional right now. I even own a Holmes Superbowl MVP jersey!!! I'm speechless, **** classes today, I'm hibernating...

And K-Train, beware for what you wish for, sources tell me Big Ben was spotted within a 100 yard radius of a younger female today.

K Train
04-12-2010, 12:02 PM
they should just clean house. cut ben for rapnig bitches, cut harrison for beating his gf and not keeping his dog on a leash, cut hampton for stealing cheeseburgers.

but when reed gets drunk every night, beats up paper towel dispensers and shows his dick all over the internet he gets...franchise tagged? good statement steelers, you ****ing *** clowns

Blazedby92
04-12-2010, 12:02 PM

To be honest Lloyd 90% of wr are Divas so I'm sure the next wr we get won't be any better, I bet you didn't say much when Bettis got up EVERY down to do the stupid fire walk or when Hines gets up and points first down, it's emotions flowing in the game, yeah he went too far sometimes but they all do and YOU will miss him trust me.

ejsteeler
04-12-2010, 12:07 PM

:ditto:

--- Added 4/12/2010 at 10:07 AM ---

To be honest Lloyd 90% of wr are Divas so I'm sure the next wr we get won't be any better, I bet you didn't say much when Bettis got up EVERY down to do the stupid fire walk or when Hines gets up and points first down, it's emotions flowing in the game, yeah he went too far sometimes but they all do and YOU will miss him trust me.

We may miss him, but oh well. Nothing to do about it now.

BlackGold4vr
04-12-2010, 12:07 PM

1985 7-9 Chuck Noll
1986 6-10 Chuck Noll
1988 5-11 Chuck Noll
1991 7-9 Chuck Noll
1998 7-9 Bill Cowher
1999 6-10 Bill Cowher
2003 6-10 Bill Cowher

Despite these losing years which every franchise experiences, we are still the winningest team in the SB era. Sometimes it takes a couple down years to reload the team with talent. That is the way the draft system is set up. Bring the bottom teams up and bring the top teams back to the pack. The 2003 season above is how we were able to draft Ben with the 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft. Following the 86 season we drafted Rod Woodson with the 10th overall pick. Change is the only constant in the NFL. Whether its for the better or worse remains to be seen.

We did win a SB without Santonio Holmes against the Seahawks!

ejsteeler
04-12-2010, 12:08 PM
1985 7-9 Chuck Noll
1986 6-10 Chuck Noll
1988 5-11 Chuck Noll
1991 7-9 Chuck Noll
1998 7-9 Bill Cowher
1999 6-10 Bill Cowher
2003 6-10 Bill Cowher

Despite these losing years which every franchise experiences, we are still the winningest team in the SB era. Sometimes it takes a couple down years to reload the team with talent. That is the way the draft system is set up. Bring the bottom teams up and bring the top teams back to the pack. The 2003 season above is how we were able to draft Ben with the 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft. Following the 86 season we drafted Rod Woodson with the 10th overall pick. Change is the only constant in the NFL. Whether its for the better or worse remains to be seen.

:yellowthumb:

K Train
04-12-2010, 12:09 PM
sweet. but when your draft class is evander hood, kraig urbik, AQ shipley and frank summers you set yourself back an unnecessary amount. i hope they really bomb this draft now, maybe we can land patrick peterson or one of the 3 stud WRs next year

Captcoolhand
04-12-2010, 12:16 PM
sweet. but when your draft class is evander hood, kraig urbik, AQ shipley and frank summers you set yourself back an unnecessary amount. i hope they really bomb this draft now, maybe we can land patrick peterson or one of the 3 stud WRs next year
It doesn't help neither when you bring back your throwbacks..:duh:

I hate to rant on our Headcoach but he's yet to prove to me that he even knows what he's doing. Every year he's gotten worse IMO and winning a SuperBowl amount to nothing when you did it with someone elses players. :2cents:

K Train
04-12-2010, 12:23 PM
It doesn't help neither when you bring back you throwbacks..:duh:

I hate to rant on our Headcoach but he's yet to prove to me that he even knows what he's doing. Every year he's gotten worse IMO and winning a SuperBowl amount to nothing when you did it with someone elses players. :2cents:

no hes a ****ing bum. i hate him more and more with every move he makes

BlackGold4vr
04-12-2010, 12:23 PM

You only help to make my point. That was a draft following a SB win where we drafted dead last. When your team drafts toward the backend of the draft for multiple years in a row eventually it catches up with you. If you are one of the skunk teams that is always at the bottom and still never improve then you need to re-evaluate your scout team that is steering you towards duds! I think we are only a few pieces away from contending again. We need a shut down corner and a couple stud O-lineman and we would be ready to roll again. We have a franchise QB, a decent RB, and a top ten defense. No, the sky isn't falling for me yet! :yesnod:

K Train
04-12-2010, 12:31 PM
no im not claiming sky falling or doom and gloom but they are setting themselves up for failure and its not necessary. with this old defense, ****** 09 draft class, terrible oline, rapist QB, scared head coach, terrible OC, weak depth at RB and WR...this team is on a downward spiral.

i guarantee ill be bitching for another entire year after this draft.

SteelCityKid5
04-12-2010, 12:43 PM
sounds like a homer that is just blindly believing the rooneys are the be all end all champions of the universe

your post doesnt apply to me at all, i wont be cheering later for this. im 100% opposed, it was an awful move and no one can justify it. i dont care if hes a diva, the man produced which is what matters in the end.

Haha sounds like a homer? Homers dont bash their own players. I was demanding the Steelers to trade Holmes. I degraded Holmes probably the most on this site. I've also highly been critical of the Urbik, Summers, Mendenhall, Redman and at one point Farrior. Yeah I believe the Rooney's know what they are doing. Their track record proves my point. So to me, I dont think I sound like a homer, you might want to get your ears checked.

K Train
04-12-2010, 12:46 PM
even if they draft the next big thing at WR and he comes in and dominates...no way you can justify this. even if we only had him for 12 games, 12 games > 5th round bum

rooneys are too old school, on the field production matters. tweeting doesnt

SteelCityKid5
04-12-2010, 12:46 PM
no im not claiming sky falling or doom and gloom but they are setting themselves up for failure and its not necessary. with this old defense, ****** 09 draft class, terrible oline, rapist QB, scared head coach, terrible OC, weak depth at RB and WR...this team is on a downward spiral.

i guarantee ill be bitching for another entire year after this draft.

After the Packers game people were calling for his head because of the onside kick? 95% of the other coaches in the NFL would treat Ben the same way as he is doing. I dont know what characterizes Tomlin as scared but, alright.

K Train
04-12-2010, 12:49 PM
After the Packers game people were calling for his head because of the onside kick? 95% of the other coaches in the NFL would treat Ben the same way as he is doing. I dont know what characterizes Tomlin as scared but, alright.

well by scared i more meant afraid to make coaching changes (arians) when clearly hes not getting the job done. he came in and didnt have the balls to bring his own staff.

BlackGold4vr
04-12-2010, 01:00 PM
well by scared i more meant afraid to make coaching changes (arians) when clearly hes not getting the job done. he came in and didnt have the balls to bring his own staff.

I believe keeping Arians is 100% trying to keep their prima dona quarterback happy. Ben loves BA and would throw tantrums if they got rid of him. BA is helping to appease Ben by steering the Steelers towards a pass heavy offense. They should send Ben a stern message by cutting BA his enabler.

coldrolled
04-12-2010, 01:02 PM
You only help to make my point. That was a draft following a SB win where we drafted dead last. When your team drafts toward the backend of the draft for multiple years in a row eventually it catches up with you. If you are one of the skunk teams that is always at the bottom and still never improve then you need to re-evaluate your scout team that is steering you towards duds! I think we are only a few pieces away from contending again. We need a shut down corner and a couple stud O-lineman and we would be ready to roll again. We have a franchise QB, a decent RB, and a top ten defense. No, the sky isn't falling for me yet! :yesnod:

correct.. at this point we should be paying a few good FA's to fill real holes and trading picks for higher picks as we dont need as many low round picks as we really need a few quality picks. plus with 10 picks we cant sign them all anyway... well if we pick 10 more players this draft, heads will be rolling this summer...

Captcoolhand
04-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I believe keeping Arians is 100% trying to keep their prima dona quarterback happy. Ben loves BA and would throw tantrums if they got rid of him. BA is helping to appease Ben by steering the Steelers towards a pass heavy offense. They should send Ben a stern message by cutting BA his enabler.I think you're wrong. IMO, Arians is only around because he has more experience on this team coaching and Tomlin is just his interm getting taught.

BlackGold4vr
04-12-2010, 01:59 PM
I think you're wrong. IMO, Arians is only around because he has more experience on this team coaching and Tomlin is just his interm getting taught.

If the Steelers cut BA I guarantee you that nobody would be crying louder than Big Ben who has Arians swinging from his johnson. :yesnod:

Steel Impact
04-12-2010, 01:59 PM

Yeap agree 100 percent with ya.

JensK
04-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Tomlin was asked today if he had anything to say regarding the trade, to which he answered "None"

K Train
04-12-2010, 02:07 PM
o0o hes such a ****ing hardass

LatrobePA
04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Tomlin was asked today if he had anything to say regarding the trade, to which he answered "None"

Classy!

K Train
04-12-2010, 02:13 PM
holmes is a big reason tomlin has a ring and probably a looming contract extension. but none of that matters to him anymore, hes got the dynamic duo of battle and el to take the league by storm

Captcoolhand
04-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Tomlin is like a 3rd rd rookie, He's not going to say **** to lose his job....

dawgs
04-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Tomlin sucks...

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Steelers are not a fly by night team. Half the people don't even know what they expect , or don't expect . The name of a player , will never be bigger than the name of the team (STEELERS) ! Holmes had his shot , and he blew it in Pittsburgh . He may pan out in New York , but it sure does not look good if he does not grow up quick . Ben needs to beware also . You tarnish the brand name , you earn a ticket out of town . I actually applaud the front office for enforcing the integrity of our storied franchise .
You think for one minute you are bigger than our team ,news flash baby , you are being shipped out . We try to avoid the shipping cost too .Bad for New York , good for
pittsburgh ! We did not come this far , because of one person . No one person is bigger than the team itself .Hope you read this too , BEN ! No person is inexpendable when it comes to integrity !!!!! No one !!!!! If you think otherwise , go get your money somewhere else . I wish Tone all the best .

Captcoolhand
04-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Tomlin sucks... So does the Browns but at least randy went out and Hired someone with football smarts to try and turn that team around.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-12-2010, 02:29 PM
This deal is in no way a good thing, still now after we've all had time to think about it. The point is you are handicapping your team and/or forcing your hand this offseason because teams know that you are going to draft a WR or try and pick up a FA. Randle El, Battle are not the answer. No guarantee Ward can stay healthy and Wallace has shown potential but is not a sure thing either. The fact is our WR corp that was a strong point of this team is not a complete and total question mark. It's one thing to go into a season with Ward, Holmes, and Wallace as the main 3 and let the other guys duke it out for the remaining spots. Now we potentially head into a season with a rookie WR draft pick, some 2nd tier FA, to go along with Battle, Grisham, and ARE as the main #3 guy behind Wallace and Ward.

Yeah, I feel SOOOOO much better now...

scudmissile29
04-12-2010, 02:33 PM
holmes is a big reason tomlin has a ring and probably a looming contract extension. but none of that matters to him anymore, hes got the dynamic duo of battle and el to take the league by storm

I think i could run the steelers better than tomlin imo.

first i draft earl thomas

then i get rid of bruce arians

then i somehow give dick lebeau the elxiar of life.

sorted

LatrobePA
04-12-2010, 02:35 PM
I think i could run the steelers better than tomlin imo.

first i draft earl thomas

then i get rid of bruce arians

then i somehow give dick lebeau the elxiar of life.

sorted

This one won't go over real well!!

scudmissile29
04-12-2010, 02:36 PM
This one won't go over real well!!

ne?

its the perfect solution

60% of steeler nation will agree with thomas pick
99.9% of steeler nation will agree with bruce arians being fired
00.0% of the 31 other teams will agree with lebeau immortality

LatrobePA
04-12-2010, 02:44 PM
With you being able to run this club better than Tomlin...I could care a less, but there are plenty of Tomlin nut swingers on here!

I think the only thing he as done well the last year and a half is learning the art of trimming his beard and bangs with laser like perfection!!

scudmissile29
04-12-2010, 02:53 PM
They should of at least given us gholston, this trade was robbery

i would command the nfl and rule with an iron grip, take no prisoners kill them all on the field.

i would make the defense so nasty nobody would want to step onto the field.

it will be known as bloodlust nation

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Some of you all need to lay off Tomlin . How did he get into this thread anyway ? He has the final say ? He sees and hears things we don't ? Get real . Tomlin will be here for years to come . He is the first step in a process , and as long as he calls it like he sees it , he is the first to detect coming trouble .Not like it was under the radar or something .Get off of Tomlins back , and let him do us proud ! He knows what is going on , the rest is just speculation .:reddevil:

JensK
04-12-2010, 03:02 PM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/10102/1049816-100.stm

Ex-Steeler Holmes suspended four games by NFL
Monday, April 12, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes has been suspended for the first four games of the 2010 NFL season, the NFL announced this afternoon.

Holmes was traded by the Steelers late Sunday night for a fifth-round draft choice. His suspension is for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. One more violation would cost him a one-year suspension.

now its official i guess

cmerrifield
04-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah this suspension is just one. He still could be in trouble for violating the personal conduct policy of the NFL, he could be suspended a few more games, especially telling a kid on twitter to kill himself. I think Goddell will take that seriously and make Holmes the example for Personal conduct on social media. Frankly, I wish we would have gotten more than a 5th, but I am happy Holmes is gone.

LatrobePA
04-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Some of you all need to lay off Tomlin . How did he get into this thread anyway ? He has the final say ? He sees and hears things we don't ? Get real . Tomlin will be here for years to come . He is the first step in a process , and as long as he calls it like he sees it , he is the first to detect coming trouble .Not like it was under the radar or something .Get off of Tomlins back , and let him do us proud ! He knows what is going on , the rest is just speculation .:reddevil:

It's like politics I guess it's impossible to agree on anything!

But he's the first to undetect trouble too! The whole unleashing hell thing was my turning point!!

PittFanInFla
04-12-2010, 03:25 PM
ok ill be the first to agree that this is messed up. but as far as Pitt drafting another reciever thats not gonna happen in the first. they think with wallace and el being bck that were are locked up on receivers. and i agree. yea yea say what ya want about el, but keep ione thing in mind. he too was a SB mvp in my book. and we will be getting a humbled el not the "im better than you" el. and whos to say sweed dont step up this year? we havent had a first round bust in years. what we need to do is use the 5th rnd pick and trade up and go for Haden CB outta Florida.

scudmissile29
04-12-2010, 03:30 PM

hey i love tomlin but i would make the defense the steel tsunami of all defenses.

i would make sure the players are trained like the navy seals.

StlersGuy
04-12-2010, 03:32 PM
I have been busy and just now am able to get on here, with that I would like to say I was shocked to see that we sent Holmes to the JETS... I think this will be one of those trades that mite come back to kick us in the *** at some point down the road.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Ben will most likely have to be enrolled in some type of league mandated counseling and probably be put on the first step of the substance abuse policy program. All in all, I'm quite sure it will do him some good and hopefully help him refocus his off field energies on something more than drunk college chicks.

The main thing is he'll be back on the field this September for us and not in some court room or jail cell.

scudmissile29
04-12-2010, 03:37 PM
I heard we are getting David Clowney

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-12-2010, 03:41 PM
It's like politics I guess it's impossible to agree on anything!

But he's the first to undetect trouble too! The whole unleashing hell thing was my turning point!!

He did unleash hell , what the hell are you talking about ? He unleashed Holmes ? Ben could be vulnerable too . Who ever said Tomlin let Holmes ride to New York anyway ?
Maybe he did not unleash hell in December , but he certainly unleashed some agony by showing that we do have weaknesses .Holmes could have been a weakness in the locker room .He could have set examples of off the field behavior that you need to make an example of .Ben is on some very thin ice too ! If i find out Tomlin was behind this thing , which i highly doubt ,then kudos to him . We are in a state of unaccustom during this off season . If Tomlin needs to make this his team , so be it .You have got to weed out the weeds . If Ben is one too , i think the team should follow through . No one can be bigger than the team . We have covered a long distance to get where we are , and that addage that one player is the reason for that , is totally unacceptable .

LatrobePA
04-12-2010, 03:45 PM
"Steelers gone wild" and Tomlin has no clue to how to stop it. Since the guy has came here the team has taken on a whole new face...SOFT!!

You call releasing your BEST WR a good thing? You're f'n crazy!! Yes he is going to miss the first 4 games, and maybe he's untrusted, but the dude was stud on the field!!

It is what it is, have a good draft get tough and win the games you should!!! PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-12-2010, 04:02 PM
I liked holmes , i really did !

Blazedby92
04-12-2010, 04:03 PM
and whos to say sweed dont step up this year? we havent had a first round bust in years.

That's good we never had a first round bust, it's just too bad Sweed was a second rounc pick.

"Steelers gone wild" and Tomlin has no clue to how to stop it. Since the guy has came here the team has taken on a whole new face...SOFT!!

You call releasing your BEST WR a good thing? You're f'n crazy!! Yes he is going to miss the first 4 games, and maybe he's untrusted, but the dude was stud on the field!!

It is what it is, have a good draft get tough and win the games you should!!! PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Heck the way you were talking a few weeks ago you wanted to get rid of Ben or said he should be disiplined , now it's different with holmes. ??????

Another thing the jury still out on Mike but I'm sure he isn't paid to babysit all his players off the field. They are grown *** men!!!! On the field too

LatrobePA
04-12-2010, 04:08 PM
That's good we never had a first round bust, it's just too bad Sweed was a second rounc pick.

Heck the way you were talking a few weeks ago you wanted to get rid of Ben or said he should be disiplined, now it's different with holmes. ??????

Another thing the jury still out on Mike but I'm sure he isn't paid to babysit all his players off the field. They are grown *** men!!!!

I did and I still stand behind it, but never said to get rid of him.

Troyisabeast_43
04-12-2010, 04:14 PM
If Limas Sweed can pan out like he has the potential to do then this deal for Holmes might not look as bad as it does now. I still think the Steelers need to go after a guy like Tate now in round 2 if he is there to upgrade this receiving core in the long run. I didnt want them to trade Holmes but if anything this should be a wakeup call to every single Steelers player out there that if they would get rid of Santanio the guy that made the game winning catch to win the Super Bowl then nobody's *** is safe and does include Ben. Holmes had enough chances to clean up his act and he failed to do so and that's why he isnt here anymore. Time to move on from it and start moving forward and get ready for the draft and start looking for potential players who could replace Holmes in the upcoming years...

BlitzburghRockCity
04-12-2010, 04:15 PM
For God sakes people, Ben isn't going to be traded. Honestly, yes he'll get a stern warning from the league, perhaps a 1 game suspension or some type of fine. The Steelers may levy their own as well but do you honestly think they are going to go on with life minus their QB? NO WAY!!

Limas Sweed is a bust and joke..He's had more than enough time to show up and do something. He's been given chances on the field to show what he's got and he's done nothing but disappoint. There is no reason to think he will be any better this year.

As far as Santonio goes, I've said my piece already..I think it's complete **** to get rid of arguably your best WR on the team or atleast your 2nd best behind Ward depending on who you talk too for nothing more than a pittance. 5th rounders in Pittsburgh land don't do **** on a time so you might as well have just released him.

LatrobePA
04-12-2010, 04:18 PM
It's time for the team and fans to move on...The draft coming up soon should be exciting considering we own 4 5th round picks, a lot of good things can come from it...We'll see!!!

steelerzchick36
04-12-2010, 04:37 PM
A 5th round pick is all they were willing to give up because his contract is up next year so they aren't going to give up a 1st rounder or even a 2nd on him if they can't guarantee he'll be around next year. Hence the reason the team was stupid for making this move; there is no reason you trade your 1st round, SB MVP, for a 5th rounder, I don't care what his problem is. Holmes wasn't charged, the dude who threw the glass stepped up and admitted it, he's not in jail right now, getting rid of him was NOT the answer.

Thanks for nothing Rooney!!!

Okay I completely agree with my father (TOP GUN) that this trade is a bunch of BS! One of the stupidest things ever in my opinion.

Steelers_All_Day_43
04-12-2010, 04:38 PM
I almost cried when I heard this news.

But what if we get the next Jerry Rice? ...I know... it wont happen...sadly

DIESELMAN
04-12-2010, 04:53 PM
I still think the Steelers need to go after a guy like Tate now in round 2 if he is there to upgrade this receiving core in the long run. I didnt want them to trade Holmes but if anything this should be a wakeup call to every single Steelers player out there that if they would get rid of Santanio the guy that made the game winning catch to win the Super Bowl then nobody's *** is safe and does include Ben.
:plus1: Tate has Ward's toughness and knows how to run routes, he could definitely come in and be a starting WR for us, plus we could trade down to get him and still get 1-2 more picks out of the deal. Ben's dumbass has 2 strikes on him right now, doesn't matter if he hasn't had charges filed against him or not. He has put himself in situations where he should have known better. He needs to get his head out of his ***, realize who he is playing for and ask himself if the next situation he puts himself into is worth being traded and/or released.

K Train
04-12-2010, 04:56 PM
i like tate...but i think id rather have demaryius thomas or rejus benn, more superstar potential there

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-12-2010, 05:08 PM
In my opinion the state of the Steelers is fina and dandy . But i will say if Ben keeps up his tarnishing act , he could concievingly be gone also. I keep stating that noone is bigger than the team . Anyone that thinks otherwise needs to step back and reflect some. Our teams reputation is far more important than any player we bring in . They all need to know that . Holmes was dumped for a reason , some of us may be unclear as to why . The Steelers need to do what is best for their team , not any player . We will survive , we allways have . Conduct detrimental to the team should not , and will not be tolerated ! Bottom line . As much as i love Ben , if he is gone , i will not cry .We will move on .

tburg68
04-12-2010, 05:17 PM
If Limas Sweed can pan out like he has the potential to do then this deal for Holmes might not look as bad as it does now. I still think the Steelers need to go after a guy like Tate now in round 2 if he is there to upgrade this receiving core in the long run. I didnt want them to trade Holmes but if anything this should be a wakeup call to every single Steelers player out there that if they would get rid of Santanio the guy that made the game winning catch to win the Super Bowl then nobody's *** is safe and does include Ben. Holmes had enough chances to clean up his act and he failed to do so and that's why he isnt here anymore. Time to move on from it and start moving forward and get ready for the draft and start looking for potential players who could replace Holmes in the upcoming years...

BULL. The only way this is a good trade is if we draft a player that becomes a better pro than Holmes with the FIFTH round pick we got for him. NOTHING else makes THIS a good deal!

JollyRob68
04-12-2010, 05:23 PM
One more slip up from Holmes and he's out of the NFL for a yr. Holmes getting a 4 game suspension means he had failed the test and was going to geta 3 game suspension then failed again.
I said before he was going and I was right. I'm pissed they waited and only got a 5th rounder for him but The Steelers didn't hold any cards. Everyone knew he was going to get suspended for WEED.
The Steelers dont need to rush off their draft plan. Use those extra picks to move up in the first 3 rounds. I CANT WAIT FOR THE DRAFT.

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-12-2010, 05:27 PM
BULL. The only way this is a good trade is if we draft a player that becomes a better pro than Holmes with the FIFTH round pick we got for him. NOTHING else makes THIS a good deal!

i disagree because they knew before he was gone . The writing was on the wall , only noone could read it . Wake up somtimes Steeler fans .Anyone who thinks someone cannot replace them needs to go to work to make sure that is a fact .

tburg68
04-12-2010, 05:43 PM
i disagree because they knew before he was gone . The writing was on the wall , only noone could read it . Wake up somtimes Steeler fans .Anyone who thinks someone cannot replace them needs to go to work to make sure that is a fact .

I WILL SAY IT AGAIN LOUDLY SO YOU CAN HEAR ME THIS TIME. NOTHING makes this a good trade, unless the player they draft in the 5TH round WITH THE PICK THEY GOT FOR HOLMES becomes a better NFL player than he is.

K Train
04-12-2010, 05:45 PM
holmes may not be the best guy in the world....but you hear it all the time that "its a business" or "thats the business"

this was not a smart business move, he did his job and he did it well. the rest doesnt matter, they didnt receive good enough compensation, no way you can tell me otherwise.

MattyVfromCT
04-12-2010, 05:58 PM

HOW CAN YOU CALL YOURSELF A STEELER FAN? you want that ******* to beat us? well good for you. go hop on the jets bandwagon. i wasn't aware santonio holmes was the greatest steeler ever. the guy was a punk since he was drafted. he didn't want to return when his contract expired. he's brought embarrassment to the steelers time and time again and the rooneys are supposed to bend at the knees and cater to this guy? he's a **** up. while he made arguably the greatest catch in super bowl history, he almost cost us that game on 3 occasions. that catch does not make it okay to go around acting like an *******. all you people bashing the rooneys and "hoping santonio embarrasses the steelers this year", etc should be ashamed to call yourselves steeler fans. most of you were all calling for his head after his twitter comments and now you want him to beat us? **** that. i want his ****ing *** knocked the **** out like welker and mcgahee were by clark in 2008. IF HOLMES WASN'T SUCH A SELFISH **** UP OFF THE FIELD, WE WOULDN'T BE IN THIS POSITION! so all you bashing the steelers and wanting holmes to beat us, go find another team to cheer for. the steelers under no circumstances should have catered to holmes. whatever happened to team loyalty? it's not like we traded away joe greene for christ sake. you stay loyal to the uniform. the franchise. players come and go. and santonio is replaceable. he isn't jerry rice. he's had plenty of drops in the black and gold. he isn't a top 5 receiver. stay loyal to the uniform. to hell with holmes.

K Train
04-12-2010, 06:00 PM
i want holmes to beat us too, just to say **** you to this cluster **** of a coaching staff/front office. maybe they will think twice about making idiotic moves

K Train
04-12-2010, 06:02 PM
this is the kind of move that makes people lose jobs, which might not be a bad thing. right now this team is at the bottom of the division with the browns

Gettysburgh_Steel
04-12-2010, 06:03 PM
I WILL SAY IT AGAIN LOUDLY SO YOU CAN HEAR ME THIS TIME. NOTHING makes this a good trade, unless the player they draft in the 5TH round WITH THE PICK THEY GOT FOR HOLMES becomes a better NFL player than he is.

Nice to talk to the front office for once .Whoever they pick up , if they are not in the media for "conduct detrimental to the team " then it was worth it .Get your head on straight dude , it was not a trade . It was a "get your azz off my team move " .I liked holmes , and i never said otherwise .I like Ben too , but keep your head on straight .TARNISHMENT ON THE FRANCHISE will not be tolerated . Thats what both those guys did to our franchise . We did not get 6 trophies with crap like that . I thank whoever let him go , and i would gladly welcome another bus ticket out of town also .

I WILL SAY THIS ONE MORE TIME MORON , NO PLAYER IS , OR EVER WAS , BIGGER THAN THE TEAM !!!! IT'S TIME WE SHOWED SOME BACKBONE !!! THEY HAVE SHOWN JUST THAT ! I give the steelers credit for making that move . After all , they go by what they know , not you ! Thank God for that !

tburg68
04-12-2010, 06:06 PM
he's brought embarrassment to the steelers time and time again......................................he's a **** up............does not make it okay to go around acting like an *******................IF (insert name here) WASN'T SUCH A SELFISH **** UP OFF THE FIELD, WE WOULDN'T BE IN THIS POSITION! ..........stay loyal to the uniform. to hell with holmes.

This could be a statement about dozens of Steelers that were never cut or traded for a 5th round pick. The Rooneys better start paring the roster down, because I assure you there are plenty of players currently on the roster that are guilty of the above statements.

K Train
04-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Nice to talk to the front office for once .Whoever they pick up , if they are not in the media for "conduct detrimental to the team " then it was worth it .Get your head on straight dude , it was not a trade . It was a "get your azz off my team move " .I liked holmes , and i never said otherwise .I like Ben too , but keep your head on straight .TARNISHMENT ON THE FRANCHISE will not be tolerated . Thats what both those guys did to our franchise . We did not get 6 trophies with crap like that . I thank whoever let him go , and i would gladly welcome another bus ticket out of town also .

I WILL SAY THIS ONE MORE TIME MORON , NO PLAYER IS , OR EVER WAS , BIGGER THAN THE TEAM !!!! IT'S TIME WE SHOWED SOME BACKBONE !!! THEY HAVE SHOWN JUST THAT ! I give the steelers credit for making that move . After all , they go by what they know , not you ! Thank God for that !
i believe ben may be bigger than the team....he does what he wants.

i wonder how ben feels about this move, im sure he is really looking forward to getting sacked an extra 20 times when wallace is double covered and ward, battle and el are all too slow to get open consistantly

MattyVfromCT
04-12-2010, 06:08 PM

i agree man. he wore out his welcome. with the 4 game suspension coming up and the fact that he doesn't want to come back to hell with him

tburg68
04-12-2010, 06:12 PM

You are full of crap. If this was done because no ONE player is bigger than the team, they should do it to a couple dozen more players currently on the roster. This is a hypocritical move and You know it.

All that being said it is STILL stupid to trade a Superbowl MVP for a 5th round draft pick.

--- Added 4/12/2010 at 04:12 PM ---

i believe ben may be bigger than the team....he does what he wants.

i wonder how ben feels about this move, im sure he is really looking forward to getting sacked an extra 20 times when wallace is double covered and ward, battle and el are all too slow to get open consistantly

Don't worry, it will all be ok. Sweed is gonna catch 100 balls for 1400 yards and 15 td's.

MattyVfromCT
04-12-2010, 06:36 PM
This could be a statement about dozens of Steelers that were never cut or traded for a 5th round pick. The Rooneys better start paring the roster down, because I assure you there are plenty of players currently on the roster that are guilty of the above statements.

let's see.

Legal trouble

Holmes has acknowledged selling drugs on the street corner of his hometown of Belle Glade, Florida as a teenager; he says that his mother's influence and a desire to play professional football made him decide to stop.[8]
Holmes was arrested in Miami Beach, Florida on May 27, 2006 for disorderly conduct.[9] Charges were subsequently dropped after Holmes paid a fine. Holmes was arrested for a second time on June 18, 2006 for domestic violence and assault in Columbus, Ohio.[10]
On July 7, 2006, Holmes appeared in Franklin County Court in Columbus, Ohio for both a pre-trial regarding the domestic case and hearing regarding the traffic ticket. He plead no contest to the traffic ticket and agreed to pay a fine. While Lashae Boone, the mother of Holmes' daughter and the victim in the assault case, requested that the domestic violence and assault charges be dropped, the prosecutor refused. Boone and their daughter accompanied Holmes to court. The charges were later dropped.[11]
On October 23, 2008, Holmes was arrested in Pittsburgh and cited by officers for possession of marijuana.[12][13] He released an apology after missing a game, stating that he wished to "focus all of [his] efforts on helping our team win on the field and achieve its ultimate goal."[14]
On March 24, 2010, Anshonae Mills filed a lawsuit against Holmes over a March 7 incident in which she alleges Holmes threw a glass at her in an Orlando nightclub, resulting in a cut above her eye. Initially, Mills did not pursue charges, claiming Holmes and the police intimidated her into it, but the case has been reopened. Subsequently, after a Twitter comment criticizing the nightclub incident, Holmes told the follower to "kill urself." He later Tweeted it was time to "wake n bake," a reference to marijuana.[15]

nobody else on the steelers even comes close to the amount of **** ups santonio had. look i'm just as pissed off as everyone. he was our best receiver. but i'm not pissed THAT he was traded. i'm pissed at WHAT WE GOT IN RETURN. but the fact remains santonio had many chances to clean up his act and he didn't. and i repeat, IF HE WASN'T SUCH A SELFISH **** UP, WE WOULDN'T BE IN THIS POSITION SO **** HIM AND I HOPE HE GETS HIS *** KNOCKED THE **** OUT WHEN THE JETS COME TO HEINZ

Callax
04-12-2010, 06:53 PM
We only got a 5th round beacuse they knew that Pitt was going to release Holmes if no one would trade for him....
THEY GOT HIM dirt *** cheap!!!!!

steelersbabex25
04-12-2010, 08:03 PM
no your an idiot.

we cant trade him for a 1st or 2nd because he may not resign with the jets and is suspended.

Theres a reason why nobody wanted Vick last year because of suspensions. Same with Santonio and the lawsuit

use your ****ing brains for once

just saying not directed at you at everyone.

everyone thought i was a retard for wanting to deal holmes or that the rooneys would and then they wonder why not a high draft pick :yellowthumb:

What does that matter? Yeah this makes a lot of sense..lets trade our superbowl MVP for a scrub that will most likely get cut before he gets a chance to step out on the field. You either trade him to a team willing to negoatiate a higher draft pick, or you wait a year until his contract is up and then see what teams want him. Don't call me an idiot. This is one of the dumbest moves the Steelers have made..I don't understand how that can even be debated.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-12-2010, 09:08 PM
What does that matter? Yeah this makes a lot of sense..lets trade our superbowl MVP for a scrub that will most likely get cut before he gets a chance to step out on the field. You either trade him to a team willing to negoatiate a higher draft pick, or you wait a year until his contract is up and then see what teams want him. Don't call me an idiot. This is one of the dumbest moves the Steelers have made..I don't understand how that can even be debated.

The Steelers were going to cut Santonio Holmes.......General managers across the NFL know this since they're not stupid so really Holmes didn't have that high of a value right now......I wish Holmes remained a Steeler and wanted him resigned but the writing was on the wall and like I said NFL GM's are not going to offer a high draft pick for player that was going to be cut eventually......

I would have contacted Al Davis to see if the Raiders would have offered at least a 2 rounder....Davis is known for making stupid moves in the past.......lol

scudmissile29
04-12-2010, 09:12 PM

its not a dumb move.

cut him and get nothing. nobody wanted him NOBODY. the jets i guess were so desperate they wanted him.

imagine if they had to face 4 tough games to start the year, without holmes.

steelersbabex25
04-12-2010, 09:36 PM
its not a dumb move.

cut him and get nothing. nobody wanted him NOBODY. the jets i guess were so desperate they wanted him.

imagine if they had to face 4 tough games to start the year, without holmes.

Um I wanted him..and everybody that knows our recievers probably wanted him too. Well now they have to face 16 games without Holmes.

--- Added 4/12/2010 at 07:36 PM ---

The Steelers were going to cut Santonio Holmes.......General managers across the NFL know this since they're not stupid so really Holmes didn't have that high of a value right now......I wish Holmes remained a Steeler and wanted him resigned but the writing was on the wall and like I said NFL GM's are not going to offer a high draft pick for player that was going to be cut eventually......

I would have contacted Al Davis to see if the Raiders would have offered at least a 2 rounder....Davis is known for making stupid moves in the past.......lol

Yeah that's true..I still think they jumped the gun a little too quickly.

Real Deal Steel
04-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Let's keep everything in perspective:

With the emergence of Wallace, Holmes had no leverage for us to continue to put up with his antics. We now have as many proven WR's as we had when we won the SB two years ago. Now Sweed will have his last opportunity to really contribute and something tells me he will.

This was a good move by our team in re-establishing control of the players and showing them that other then Big Ben, this type of behavior won't be tolerated.

Holmes, Wallace, ARE and Sweed. We will be fine this season. But I do expect them to take a flier on a young WR in the draft.

DBR96A
04-13-2010, 01:50 AM
We won a Super Bowl after Plaxico Burress left, and before Santonio Holmes arrived. How quickly we forget that. Our top three WRs en route to Super Bowl XL were Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El and Cedrick Wilson. (Gee, two of those names sound familiar!)

Dobre Shunka
04-13-2010, 03:40 AM
Sometimes, you have to take out the garbage, whether you like it or not.

K Train
04-13-2010, 09:34 AM
We won a Super Bowl after Plaxico Burress left, and before Santonio Holmes arrived. How quickly we forget that. Our top three WRs en route to Super Bowl XL were Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El and Cedrick Wilson. (Gee, two of those names sound familiar!)

completely different offense, a oline that was a brick wall, a running game that couldnt be stopped and a defense that people feared....be has what 1500 yards passing back then? that was for a reason

ejsteeler
04-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Let's keep everything in perspective:

With the emergence of Wallace, Holmes had no leverage for us to continue to put up with his antics. We now have as many proven WR's as we had when we won the SB two years ago. Now Sweed will have his last opportunity to really contribute and something tells me he will.

This was a good move by our team in re-establishing control of the players and showing them that other then Big Ben, this type of behavior won't be tolerated.

Holmes, Wallace, ARE and Sweed. We will be fine this season. But I do expect them to take a flier on a young WR in the draft.

Sometimes, you have to take out the garbage, whether you like it or not.

:ditto: :yellowthumb: