PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Santonio Holmes facing four-game suspension

Sir Blitzelot
04-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Sources: Santonio Holmes facing four-game suspension
Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2010 11:24 AM ET

Late Friday afternoon brought good news for the Pittsburgh Steelers, with the report from ESPN that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger won't be charged with sexual assault in Milledgeville, Georgia.

Now for the bad news.

Multiple sources have advised us that receiver Santonio Holmes is facing a four-game suspension under the league's substance-abuse policy. It's presently unknown whether Holmes tested positive for a prohibited substance or committed some other violation of the policy, such as missing a required test. It's our current understanding that the internal NFL appeals process has not been finalized.

Under the substance-abuse policy, a four-game suspension comes after multiple violations. The fact that Holmes, the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII, is facing a four-game suspension means that Holmes previously has paid a fine in the amount of three seventeenths of his base salary (i.e., three game checks).

Though we're not aware of the specific identity of the substance involved, Holmes has a history with marijuana. In 2008, he was cited for marijuana possession, prompting the Steelers to suspend him for one game with pay. Recently, he posted on Twitter a message indicating an intention to "wake n bake," slang for smoking marijuana upon getting out of bed.

Holmes also has recently been accused of throwing a drink in the face of a woman at an Orlando nightclub. The alleged victim has both sued Holmes and pursued criminal liability, after indicating on the scene that she did not want to press charges. His lawyer has denied the accusations, recently claiming that a witness has signed a sworn statement taking responsibility for throwing the drink. The suspension Holmes faces arose independently of this alleged incident.

Link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/10/sources-santonio-holmes-facing-four-game-suspension/

Big T
04-10-2010, 12:18 PM
I was going to post this too...

This is depressing...not necessarily the suspension but how stupid he can be and how the Rooney's probably won't put up with this anymore....through his allegations ive been saying how stupid it was to think Santonio would be cut, traded, or not resigned...now its looking like he might not be a steeler after this season...you have no idea how hard that is for me to say....hes been one of my favorite steelers and i dont want to see him go anywhere...

I still think it would be a mistake to not resign him....

SnakeEyes43
04-10-2010, 12:21 PM
That idiot put on Twitter that he intended to "wake-bake"? Jesus, someone needs to delete his Twitter account....didn't he tell some kid to go kill himself as well? Ugghhh. :banging: Get it together Holmes!

BlackGold4vr
04-10-2010, 12:25 PM
This is why character matters. This is why drafting players who like the maryjane and grew up smoking it are trouble for NFL teams. Doesn't matter how good a player is they can't help you when they are suspended.

:helmet:

Big T
04-10-2010, 12:25 PM
That idiot put on Twitter that he intended to "wake-bake"? Jesus, someone needs to delete his Twitter account....didn't he tell some kid to go kill himself as well? Ugghhh. :banging: Get it together Holmes!

I couldnt give two shits about what he says on twitter....Its not what he says, its what he does...but the fact that he actually said it was time to wake n bake and actually might have, is just beyond stupid on his part...imo that whole "kill yourself" thing was taken WAY too seriously...

steelersbabex25
04-10-2010, 12:38 PM
:whatever1: Holmes. Atleast we have Mike Wallace to pick up some of the slack.

Captcoolhand
04-10-2010, 12:59 PM
If there is any truth to this or not, Holmes brought alot of grief to the table. I would be surprise if He last beyond the next season on this team. He seems to be showing everything he can to get dropped/traded. Maybe TO jr should realize that Star players get paid, not team *******s. :2cents:

I'm sure Holmes will be put on the block and wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers entertain a trade in this years draft. IMO.

scudmissile29
04-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Mike Wallace gets his big opportunity.

Im excited to see what he can do in a starting role. he is our future reciever.

Ibleedblk&gld
04-10-2010, 01:06 PM
good thing i just got my mike wallace jersey on easter :)

it pisses me off that ben and santonio keep putting themselves in these positions...they both need to be on house arrest while they're on this team

scudmissile29
04-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Im excited anything for Mike Wallace.

Man he is going to tear up those defenses come september.

he gonna make teams cry for passing him up.

DanRooney
04-10-2010, 01:18 PM
If Tonio is suspended, Wallace is going to be a covered by a #1 corner now. That's not good news for us. Ward can pretty much be covered by a #3 with his lack of speed. We need Limas to step it up and win the job opposite of Mike. I've seen Randle El at the #2 spot for the Redskins last year and it was god awful.

JensK
04-10-2010, 01:24 PM
If we have to use ARE for anything else than short slant routes we are doomed...

scudmissile29
04-10-2010, 01:34 PM
This season Wallace is unleash the beast.

IMO he will be a better player than Santonio Holmes.

All the potential is there.

Seriously everyone thinks Holmes is some reciever god for that tip toe catch. Im willing to bet Wallace can go beyond that. you will see.

JensK
04-10-2010, 01:44 PM
This season Wallace is unleash the beast.

IMO he will be a better player than Santonio Holmes.

All the potential is there.

Seriously everyone thinks Holmes is some reciever god for that tip toe catch. Im willing to bet Wallace can go beyond that. you will see.

Thats not really the problem right now though. PRoblem is, we would be without a legit third WR, because ARE is not dependable, and Sweed is still a bust untill proven otherwise.

Big T
04-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Thats not really the problem right now though. PRoblem is, we would be without a legit third WR, because ARE is not dependable, and Sweed is still a bust untill proven otherwise.

We would be without a legit #1...Mike Wallace is not a #1 reciever yet and neither is Hines anymore....

JensK
04-10-2010, 02:17 PM
We would be without a legit #1...Mike Wallace is not a #1 reciever yet and neither is Hines anymore....

I know, but im assuming the would move Wallace to number one, and using Hines as second (so far there are no indications that Hines cant get the job done as second or maybe third guy.) In either case, a WR or two is going to be needed. Hopefully only one, if Sweed steps up.

Zachintosh66
04-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Told ya so... http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showpost.php?p=340217&postcount=10

So lets say they do trade Holmes for a pick... who would you want us to draft? (wr's only) Gilyard, Bryant, Tate, Benn, Shipley... other?

--- Added 4/10/2010 at 01:25 PM ---

95 catches and hes NOT the #1 WR... just saying :stirpot: :lol:

Guess Randel El wasnt lying when he said he came back to be the #3 WR... Ward, Wallace and ARE... hmmm

scudmissile29
04-10-2010, 02:30 PM
WALLACE IS READY.

Holmes was ready in 2007, Wallace who put nearly as good stats as a third reciever will be ready.

Watch people in 2010. The Year of Wallace.

Heck they will make a movie out of his breakout year.

70 catches, 10 touchdowns , 1103 yards

coldrolled
04-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Told ya so... http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showpost.php?p=340217&postcount=10

So lets say they do trade Holmes for a pick... who would you want us to draft? (wr's only) Gilyard, Bryant, Tate, Benn, Shipley... other?

Guess Randel El wasnt lying when he said he came back to be the #3 WR... Ward, Wallace and ARE... hmmm

now we should sign him to a long term contract... his value is down.
then after you sign him, if you dont want him around, trade him.

we cant trade him now...

hopefully sweed is over his lyme disease and he plays like we all expected him to.

JensK
04-10-2010, 02:36 PM

Should we get a first rounder for him, i would want Dez Bryant. I dont care what people say, the guy is a beast on the field!

Big T
04-10-2010, 02:58 PM

Anyone can get 95 catches being a slot reciever and running underneath routes. Just like Wes Welker...Yes Welker is good, as is Hines, but I hate when people are like, "wow, Wes Welker had 110+ catches"...anyone can catch a ton of balls being a slot reciever...Wes Welker and Hines Ward 100+ catch seasons are not the same as Brandon Marshall type 100+ catch seasons...Hines is a great slot guy and has been for years, but he's not a true #1 reciever anymore...

Zachintosh66
04-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Anyone can get 95 catches being a slot reciever and running underneath routes. Just like Wes Welker...Yes Welker is good, as is Hines, but I hate when people are like, "wow, Wes Welker had 110+ catches"...anyone can catch a ton of balls being a slot reciever...Wes Welker and Hines Ward 100+ catch seasons are not the same as Brandon Marshall type 100+ catch seasons...Hines is a great slot guy and has been for years, but he's not a true #1 reciever anymore...

Relax, i was just screwing around... i knew what everyone meant thus the :lol:

Big T
04-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Relax, i was just screwing around... i knew what everyone meant thus the :lol:

I hear you...Ive just heard it all before, in all seriousness...

scudmissile29
04-10-2010, 04:04 PM

and neither is santonio holmes when he is suspened 4 games of the year.

that isn't realibale, right now he is a liability.

like if ward has to go deep, it should of been holmes but oh know he had to fail his marijuana test. dumb **** stupid holmes why do it.

those 4 games could be really hard. infact his stupidness could cost us dearly in those 4 games. Look again maybe when the schedule comes out, we could be picking around 19th next season lol.

Soon my friends for all the people who ever wanted that #1 draft pick again, it will come soon because in a few offseasons time half our team will be suspended.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-10-2010, 04:39 PM
WALLACE IS READY.

Holmes was ready in 2007, Wallace who put nearly as good stats as a third reciever will be ready.

Watch people in 2010. The Year of Wallace.

Heck they will make a movie out of his breakout year.

70 catches, 10 touchdowns , 1103 yards

Mike Wallace is ready to become the number WR?........I don't know about that.....I like Mike Wallace and he had a very good rookie year......But this year he won't be an unknown rookie and Hines even stated that Wallace was asked to do much last year........Wallace still has to learn to run all of the routes like Holmes does and has to prove he can do it again......

I think you underestimate Holmes importance to this team and the Steelers will miss him greatly during his four game suspension......Holmes allows Ward and Wallace to face single coverage due to Holmes constantly being double teamed.....

Real Deal Steel
04-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Well, Wallace is going to get his opportunity and I think he'll do fine because of the way Ben buys time. But Sweed will also get a second chance now. And weather he succeeds will be interesting!!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-10-2010, 05:27 PM
This is PFT here folks, we all know you can't put stock in this being 100% legit until you hear it from NFL.com, the Steelers themselves, or some other reputable source. If he is suspended 4 games then Wallace, Ward, and probably ARE will be the main go to guys. They aren't going to trade Holmes to anyone so lets not go starting some kind of rumor that the Steelers are looking unload Santonio now.

Real Deal Steel
04-10-2010, 05:32 PM
This is PFT here folks, we all know you can't put stock in this being 100% legit until you hear it from NFL.com, the Steelers themselves, or some other reputable source. If he is suspended 4 games then Wallace, Ward, and probably ARE will be the main go to guys. They aren't going to trade Holmes to anyone so lets not go starting some kind of rumor that the Steelers are looking unload Santonio now.

I agree. PFT does miss quite a bit on their predictions.

Callax
04-11-2010, 08:43 AM
I wonder if the Steelers knew about his Mary Jane addiction in the resigning of Randle EL???
This seems to make more sense. Wallace moves up to number #2, Randle El is a great #3 and We get another WR to help with Ward when he retires....

Holmes is an idiotdoes he realize that people that WORK IN THE NFL also read twitter and facebook????

scudmissile29
04-11-2010, 09:10 AM

Well you never know they might not trade him, He wont be a Steeler in 2011 if there is not a lockout or 2012.

For what it's worth they may decide to unload him because he has value, they can move up in the first round or other rounds with holmes instead of getting a compensatory pick for him that not may hold as much value as a trade.

Just saying.

Stlrs4Life
04-11-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm waiting, this is from PFT, Florio is an idiot.

cmerrifield
04-11-2010, 09:34 AM
The Front Office knew something, They signed 2 recievers and reassured us all that Sweed is still part of the plans. I would love to trade Holmes, I would think he is still worth a late first/early second round pick. If it werent for this suspension, if true, I would say he is worth an early first round pick.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-11-2010, 09:52 AM

Exactly!! Until you hear it from somewhere else you never count PFT as being completely accurate. It kills me that the guys on Sirius have some PFT guys on their show regularly. You can't tell me they couldnt find someone else to fill that 10 minutes.

Ibleedblk&gld
04-11-2010, 11:06 AM
PFT = National Inquirer

Captcoolhand
04-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Exactly!! Until you hear it from somewhere else you never count PFT as being completely accurate. It kills me that the guys on Sirius have some PFT guys on their show regularly. You can't tell me they couldnt find someone else to fill that 10 minutes.
KDKA-TV is reporting the same thing but their sources is coming from same People(profootballtalk):duh:
http://kdka.com/steelers/santonio.holmes.suspension.2.1624407.html

scudmissile29
04-11-2010, 11:35 AM
fun exciting offseason we have here.

Dobre Shunka
04-11-2010, 01:32 PM
I could go for an unexciting offseason, like the good ole days, meaning last year.

Big T
04-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Tape: Holmes threw no glass
Attorney for Steelers receiver says other man takes blame for tossing drink at woman
Sunday, April 11, 2010
By Eleanor Chute, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The legal team for Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes has submitted an audio recording of a man who says he, not Mr. Holmes, threw a drink at a woman in a Florida club.

Adam Swickle, Mr. Holmes' attorney, said the man claimed he threw the drink to help defend Mr. Holmes after the woman grabbed Mr. Holmes' arm.

Mr. Swickle next week plans to submit statements from two other witnesses who will concur that Mr. Holmes did not throw anything at college student Anshonae Mills, who has accused Mr. Holmes in the incident at an Orlando, Fla., club on March 7.

Mr. Swickle said the recording of the man who says he threw the drink was turned over to the state attorney's office.

A lawsuit filed by Ms. Mills against Mr. Holmes alleging battery, assault and intentional infliction of emotional distress claims that a glass struck her face "at a high rate of speed from only a few feet away."

Orlando police, who also are investigating the incident, on Friday said the case was submitted to the Orange-Osceola State Attorney's Office for review.

Mr. Swickle gave this account of the man's statement:

Mr. Holmes and others were in a VIP area of the club. Mr. Holmes got up to talk with some people, and, when he returned, Ms. Mills was in his seat.

He asked her politely to leave, and she became irate, pointed in his face and grabbed his arm. The man -- who was holding a glass containing juice, ice and a straw -- threw the contents of the glass, but not the glass, in the woman's face.

"He did it in defense of a third party," said Mr. Swickle.

He said the man is the same person who was identified by two friends of Ms. Mills as the one who threw the drink. He said her friends later changed their story and said it was Mr. Holmes.

Mr. Swickle said the man was short and heavy and does not look like Mr. Holmes.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10101/1049512-455.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0kova2Zc1

just another article with some more details on the lawsuit

igor0190
04-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Santonio appears to be intent on proving he is an idiot. There is a real possibility that they let him walk just like they let Plaxico walk and look where Plax is now. Tone is very good, but it sounds as though he will be looking for 10Mil/year and I'm doubting the Steelers would give that. They'll probably franchise him depending on the development of Wallace, Sweed, and any other WR they draft.

I hope Sweed gets his fresh start this year, gets some support from the fans, and finally realizes some of his potential! Then the Steelers won't feel so much pressure when it comes to re-signing holmes.

MattyVfromCT
04-11-2010, 04:48 PM

agreed. what's worse is when nbc has that idiot florio on during sunday night football halftime shows. not going to go on a big rant about florio but, GOD, I HATE THAT GUY. all he ever does is look for the tiniest things to bash the steelers about. he does nothing but spew hatred for the steelers. which makes me really enjoy his vikings' epic postseason chokejobs so much. i'd have loved to been a fly on his wall to see him cry like a little schoolgirl when favre blew it against the saints. or better yet when the falcons embarrassed the 98 team in their own home. i HATE that guy lol

--- Added 4/11/2010 at 03:48 PM ---

absolutely. he can cry about the steelers all he wants. it doesn't change the fact that his vikings suck and are the biggest chokers in nfl postseason history