PDA

View Full Version : Holmes looking to play for a bigger market

scudmissile29
04-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Report: Santonio could be eyeing a bigger market
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/08/report-santonio-could-be-eyeing-a-bigger-market/

At a time when there's a belief that receiver Santonio Holmes could be the fall guy for the recent string of alleged misbehavior in the 'Burgh, there's a report that Santonio may want to say "sayonara" to the Steel City.

Ken Laird of ESPN 1250 reports that Holmes doesn't believe that the Steelers will pay him "what he believes he's worth" on a new contract, and that Holmes would prefer to play in a big market in 2011.

The possible divorce between the Steelers and the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII could explain the team's decision to bring receivers Dez Bryant and Golden Tate in for a pre-draft visit. Both could be available when the Steelers exercise the 18th overall pick in the draft.

--- edited by steeldawgswag.

Trade him if that is what he is worth, as he is worth something right now.

Mardy Gilyard in the third anybody?

cmerrifield
04-09-2010, 08:23 AM
I am not sure that Holmes has proven himself to be worth a huge contract. He is a great #2 reciever and probably would be a good #1 reciever this year, but I am not sure he is one of the top 10-15 recievers in the league, but sounds like he wants to be paid like it. Plus he has been in some trouble, I would love to see a 1st round pick for him this draft than a comp pick for him in two years.

Dobre Shunka
04-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Bigger market

Translation

"Show me the money!"

BlitzburghRockCity
04-09-2010, 08:55 AM
I for one don't want him to go; I personally don't care about his off the field issues as long as he stays on the field. The dude makes plays and he's a great compliment to Ward and Wallace. I'm quite sure the Steelers will give him fair market value; but if he's looking for epic money then he might be SOL. The Steelers will pay a player they feel is worth it,and Holmes has shown a knack for making big plays and he's been a big part of our offense in the last couple years especially. Don't rule him out of staying put; it's too early to worry about it anyways and all this smoke screen talk is typical from players who are coming up the end of their current deal.

LatrobePA
04-09-2010, 08:58 AM
See ya **ck face! No way in hell will this team pay him the kinda money he's thinking!!

Blazedby92
04-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Don't want him to leave but don't want a Anquan show every year either.

coldrolled
04-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Don't want him to leave but don't want a Anquan show every year either.

we will now see the anquan show twice a year now...

if you dont pay holmes, he will show up with the ravens... OSU fans with the Browns or Bengals will love him....

pay him or trade him out of the division..

im sick of hearing we never have the money.. thats BS.

LatrobePA
04-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Trade him NOW to the Raiders, they need WR's and we need DB's...Hint hint!!

scudmissile29
04-09-2010, 10:44 AM

Lol i like that but the Browns may select the Berry.

I hope Wallace doesn't get to this ever.

--- Added 4/9/2010 at 09:44 AM ---

I am not sure that Holmes has proven himself to be worth a huge contract. He is a great #2 reciever and probably would be a good #1 reciever this year, but I am not sure he is one of the top 10-15 recievers in the league, but sounds like he wants to be paid like it. Plus he has been in some trouble, I would love to see a 1st round pick for him this draft than a comp pick for him in two years.

True and agreed but that SB MVP will make him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_45NrSfmi0

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!! lol

K Train
04-09-2010, 11:18 AM
:-(

now im sad

didnt he "grow up a steelers fan"?

ejsteeler
04-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Screw the greedy bastardo. It's easy for me to say, never having had monet thrown at me, but all these "professional atheletes" are way to greedy. Us fans are just as much to blame, but I still get sick of hearing this crap. What's funny is, usually, the same folks you hear screaming "pay him" are the same ones that wil be first to complain about ticket prices, hot dog prices, beer prices, parking.....yadda, yadda, yadda......:yesnod:

But, this is the monster we live with. :dunno:

LatrobePA
04-09-2010, 11:33 AM

now im sad

Coke and weed fan first I'm betting!! lol

Big T
04-09-2010, 11:45 AM
didnt this dude also say BA was getting fired? i'll wait til i hear more than one little rumor....

coldrolled
04-09-2010, 12:04 PM

that trade would be the bomb.....

we as a team will be better day one.

Blazedby92
04-09-2010, 12:32 PM
that trade would be the bomb.....

we as a team will be better day one.

Now I would go for that, Holmes for Asomugha, Nnamdi, HELL YEAH!!!
Note: had to copy and paste his name,:lol:

scudmissile29
04-09-2010, 12:39 PM

now im sad

lol thats what they all say

didnt galloway say that then join the patriots.

SteelCityKid5
04-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Again, wouldn't be shocked to see him go... If all this is true, I'm all for a trade. I think if this were the case, the Stees FO should try to see whats out there. I think they'd do it during the draft or offseason because you seldom see a trade during the season.

JensK
04-09-2010, 01:47 PM
I am not in favor of trading Holmes, heres my thoughts on it...

Trading Holmes would take away our great depth at WR. We would lack an actual number one. Hines is too old, and Wallace is not ready yet. Therefore, should Steelers want to get rid of Holmes, i really want them to trade him now and get a first rounder for him (he is def. worth it, and the team would not get a huge contract with him). I would not mind us picking a Dez Bryant if we had two first round picks.

If we keep Holmes around for another year,we better resign him! Steelers is semi-rebuilding atm, so its not like we are in the front-seat for a SB appearance. We would get much more value from Holmes trading him, than keeping him one more season just to let him go.

andyg1984
04-09-2010, 02:35 PM
holmes is not explicitly quoted lets rmbr ...

STEEL CITY TANK
04-09-2010, 02:56 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/375567-steelers-preparing-for-life-without-santonio-holmes

Unless we can get a early/mid 1st rd pick (10-20) for Holmes I say we don't trade him...in the article I read they said Miami may be interested in trading for holmes which would put us in position for acquiring Dez Bryant or Golden Tate...they would be fine additions to the team but they're not proven WR's in the league, surely they would blossom into good players but that may take some time...Holmes is already capable of showcasing competitive league play at WR...I'm only up for this trade situation if Holmes is going to ask for an outrageous amount...but we're unable of predicting the future so I'm up for either option but I rather see Holmes resign and continue his career as a Steeler.

scudmissile29
04-09-2010, 03:43 PM
i would send holmes to miami in return for swapping 1st round picks and also they can give us a third or a second, which means we can go after a good receiver aas well as getting olinemen in the second-third.

coldrolled
04-09-2010, 03:45 PM
:lol::lol::lol:
Now I would go for that, Holmes for Asomugha, Nnamdi, HELL YEAH!!!
Note: had to copy and paste his name,:lol:

Our secondary is tight, we would be able to handle cinci... ravens...

we draft a center #1, our offesne gets better.

second and third round is whoever fits best. ILB, DE, NT, OL... wow...

can BA and we have a running game and bam were in the SB. :lol:

Then a miracle happens and Sweed plays like our #2

JollyRob68
04-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Holmes to the raiders for Nnamdi and a 3rd. They'd go for it because nnamdi's contract is hard to move.
How about Holmes to Washington for Laron Landry & 3rd? I only ask because it was rumored Landry was on the trading block.
I'd want to trade him to a team in the top 10 and keep our 18th pick so we can get Mcclain,Haden or Thomas and then Pouncey at 18. Leaving us to take A CB or Thaddius Gibson in the 2nd.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-09-2010, 05:30 PM
I would only trade Holmes if some team offered a deal similar the one the Lions received for Roy Williams.....I really hope Holmes is resigned...Its not easy replacing number 1 WR's.....For those who don't think Holmes is a number just look at the post-season run Holmes had in 2008......Plus Holmes receives so much attention from defenses it allows an aging Ward and a young Wallace to get open......I also don't think getting rid of the best WR on the team in Ben's prime is a smart move......

Sure Holmes might not be the brightest guy off the field but he is a beast in the play-offs and is the Steelers best WR bar none.......Before anybody starts rattling off stats yea I know Ward caught a **** load of balls last year but look at the times Ward was owned by man coverage last year.....Ward can still manipulate zone coverage but he does struggle in man coverage due to his age.....With Holmes gone I assure you Ward would by a non factor......As for Mike Wallace and yes he had a very good rookie year.....But he still has to prove he can do it again and doesn't run all the routes Holmes can......

Resigning Santonio Holmes is a must.....................

scudmissile29
04-09-2010, 05:42 PM
I think Wallace will turn into a better receiver than Holmes anyway.

He made Javon Snead look good, he made Snead into what would be a 1st round draft pick, not that that makes him better than holmes but his potential is above the sky, it is infinite

steelersbabex25
04-09-2010, 05:51 PM
I understand that being a football player is his job, and he wants to make money, but this makes me absolutely LIVID at Holmes. How disrespectful to the fans and the organization. Trust me Holmes, what you're making now is more than enough than you need to send child support to your kids.

Danger DANJ
04-09-2010, 06:52 PM
There is no way I'd want Holmes traded unless we got a first round pick in return and drafted a WR like Bryant or Tate. Without Holmes, our passing game will suffer. Everyone can double up on Ward or Wallace and leave the other covered in man coverage. That means Randle El or Sweed would need to step up big time and I'm not counting on that.

I wouldn't be upset if he was traded for Asomugha, but I'd be worried about the passing game.

Stlrs4Life
04-09-2010, 07:40 PM
It's PFT, don't believe any of it.

scudmissile29
04-09-2010, 07:49 PM
There is no way I'd want Holmes traded unless we got a first round pick in return and drafted a WR like Bryant or Tate. Without Holmes, our passing game will suffer. Everyone can double up on Ward or Wallace and leave the other covered in man coverage. That means Randle El or Sweed would need to step up big time and I'm not counting on that.

I wouldn't be upset if he was traded for Asomugha, but I'd be worried about the passing game.

first u gotta catch wallace before u double team him lol ask jonathan joseph for details.

steelers4life66
04-09-2010, 08:04 PM
first u gotta catch wallace before u double team him lol ask jonathan joseph for details.
:haha:

tburg68
04-09-2010, 10:38 PM
didnt this dude also say BA was getting fired? i'll wait til i hear more than one little rumor....

It's PFT, don't believe any of it.

Let me say it a THIRD time for all of you that missed the two statements above......

This is the SAME source that had BA fired. It is ALL speculation. Every player that is nearing the end of their contract does and says things to try and up their value. IF, and its a big IF, Holmes said all of this, he is more than likely posturing for his new deal. Before all you great talent evaluators talk about how Wallace is so much better, and we would be just fine without Holmes, stop and think logically. It is not that easy to replace a number one receiver in the NFL, especially with a rookie. If you think that Dez Bryant is an upgrade on or OFF the field, you are stupid.

I hope that Holmes remains a Steeler for many years to come.(all of this from a Michigan fan)

coldrolled
04-10-2010, 09:08 AM

WR is really the only position we can talk trade, we are loaded at the position.

Asomugha for holmes is a win. it will still cost the same amount of money to sign either.

Marshall for Holmes: if the two teams really feel they have problem players and want them out. marshall gains yards after the catch better than most. even trade..

JensK
04-10-2010, 01:16 PM
WR is really the only position we can talk trade, we are loaded at the position.

Asomugha for holmes is a win. it will still cost the same amount of money to sign either.

Marshall for Holmes: if the two teams really feel they have problem players and want them out. marshall gains yards after the catch better than most. even trade..

Marshall is a better WR than Holmes imo. I love what Holmes have done for us, and he is def. a top tier WR, but Marshall has always stood out for me as something special. He can do pretty much everything - catch the deep ball, do all the spectacular catches even in dobbelcoverage, runs really good routes and he is as dangerous as anyone when he has the ball in his hands.