PDA

View Full Version : Maurkice Pouncey or Anthony Davis?

Real Deal Steel
04-06-2010, 01:08 AM
I think it's time to focus on our biggest weakness and that's the O-line. Who do you like between these two guys and tell me why?

Big T
04-06-2010, 02:28 AM
Pouncey for sure...though i do really like Anthony Davis and definitely wouldnt be mad if he were the pick, I just think Pouncey holds more value and would better upgrade the line...Pouncey is smooth as hell and would definitely help the guards....He's the best center to come out since Mangold and I'd say he is about at Mangold's level when he came out...I love me some Maurkice Pouncey

JensK
04-06-2010, 03:09 AM
while i think davis is the better talent, i would go with pouncey simply because its a big big need for us. Starks is kinda so-so, hartwig is just flat out terrible.

Steel Trap86
04-06-2010, 03:25 AM
Maurkice Pouncey, for 305 pounds this guy has quickness and gets into good position to pass protect, plays nasty and knocks guys on there ***. Also shows his awareness with other linemen and can move to right guard, started 11 games there in his freshman year. He would be a great pick, I don't know about all you guys, but I'm about done seeing Ben get pancaked 100 times a season and this guy would be a big improvement up front.

scudmissile29
04-06-2010, 07:50 AM
pouncey no.

anthony davis is lazy. no thanks

K Train
04-06-2010, 10:13 AM
pouncey is damn near flawless, anthony davis could be great but he could also just bum his way out of the league. take pouncey, hes more of a sure thing...not as premium as a position but a glaring hole and a small risk

Zachintosh66
04-06-2010, 11:34 AM
No Davis...

BlackGold4vr
04-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Maurkice Pouncey, for 305 pounds this guy has quickness and gets into good position to pass protect, plays nasty and knocks guys on there ***. Also shows his awareness with other linemen and can move to right guard, started 11 games there in his freshman year. He would be a great pick, I don't know about all you guys, but I'm about done seeing Ben get pancaked 100 times a season and this guy would be a big improvement up front.

Amen brother!

Starks is horrible because he's fat and has slow feet!
Kemoeatu is good and getting better.
Hartwig sucks ***!
Open at RG.
Colon is one of the better RT's.

Next year:

Draft franchise LT
Kemoeatu
Pouncey
Foster
Colon

:yesnod:

coldrolled
04-06-2010, 12:32 PM
pouncey no.

anthony davis is lazy. no thanks

Earl Thomas:cope:

K Train
04-06-2010, 12:35 PM
as painful as it is, i dont think thomas will be the pick

K Train
04-06-2010, 12:36 PM

he would make everyone on the line better...i guarantee it

coldrolled
04-06-2010, 12:39 PM
I think it's time to focus on our biggest weakness and that's the O-line. Who do you like between these two guys and tell me why?

Pouncey for sure.

I think we score more in the redzone and he helps the Running game in the 3rd and shorts. we score 4 points more a game, not kick the FG's in the redzone so much and we win a few more games with pouncey.

if Urbik would show up and we add pouncey we would really be in great shape....

and then we dont need to draft Olsen or Tennant.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-06-2010, 01:20 PM
he would make everyone on the line better...i guarantee it

This......:yellowthumb:

I would just like to see the Steelers have a dominating center again and that is why I have been on the draft Pouncey bandwagon for the last 6 or so weeks......I think Pouncey is much better then Mack or Wood who was drafted in the first last year....I think Pouncey could be the best center to come out in the last 15 or so years.....potentially of course.....

BlackGold4vr
04-06-2010, 01:25 PM
I will be cheering and clapping on April 22nd if I hear Pouncey's name called for the 18th pick because I will know that our O-line will immediately improve!

:yellowthumb:

K Train
04-06-2010, 01:42 PM
This......:yellowthumb:

I would just like to see the Steelers have a dominating center again and that is why I have been on the draft Pouncey bandwagon for the last 6 or so weeks......I think Pouncey is much better then Mack or Wood who was drafted in the first last year....I think Pouncey could be the best center to come out in the last 15 or so years.....potentially of course.....

mangold can make a hard case for that, but pouncey looks the part of a pro bowl center and hes a good kid, and he loves playing football and is a hard worker. ive always said that when you add a dominating player to an offensive line, no matter what spot, everyone gets better

JollyRob68
04-06-2010, 01:46 PM
I will be cheering and clapping on April 22nd if I hear Pouncey's name called for the 18th pick because I will know that our O-line will immediately improve!

Pouncey all the way. Davis just seemed off at the combine as if the pressure has gotten to him.Then he had the drama at his pro day. Take Pouncey in the first then focus on Defense.

K Train
04-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Pouncey all the way. Davis just seemed off at the combine as if the pressure has gotten to him.Then he had the drama at his pro day. Take Pouncey in the first then focus on Defense.

overrated pro day drama....just looking for a story. he has unreal ability, dont count him out just yet

BlackGold4vr
04-06-2010, 01:53 PM

Pouncey in the 1st and a RB in the 4th or 5th.

The rest can all be defense.

JollyRob68
04-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Pouncey in the 1st and a RB in the 4th or 5th.

The rest can all be defense.

Agreed unless Toby G in still there in the 3rd. We can also get a small school tackle in the 5th.

K Train
04-06-2010, 01:58 PM
toby gerhart? come on. white guys cant be RBs, we dont need a Fb that cant block

Zachintosh66
04-06-2010, 02:15 PM
toby gerhart? come on. white guys cant be RBs, we dont need a Fb that cant block

Not to mention Toby had the major bulk of stanfords carries... how much does the bruiser have left?

Remember Mike Hart for Mich... same thing, where is he right now... barried on the colts depth chart, who dont even run the fricking ball

K Train
04-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Not to mention Toby had the major bulk of stanfords carries... how much does the bruiser have left?

Remember Mike Hart for Mich... same thing, where is he right now... barried on the colts depth chart, who dont even run the fricking ball

thats just because he didnt really translate to the pros well, ray rice had a huge worload in college and now he has an even bigger one. sometimes you get cedric benson who gets his tires worn off to early, sometimes you get ray rice.

toby is just too slow and too white, at least brian leonard had the leonard leap...the most electrifying move ive ever seen lol

scudmissile29
04-06-2010, 02:23 PM

lol no it wont lmao

watch ben take a sack so we can go 3rd and 60.

sorry but his **** needs to stop he's making our o-line look far worse than it was. they only gave up 30 or so sacks this year but the condemned qb likes to be a dick half the time and go for glory instead of simply throwing it away.

its ok its ben yes i know the big play works, but actually when he did it against the ravens it was really santonio who weaved in an out.

but what happens when dixon is the quarterback against a blitz happy defense.

NO SACKS.

WE DONT NEED O-LINEMAN.

if we select o-lineman ill go support the lions i dont care if they lose il have more fun watching them than watching a team whos player i dispise.

K Train
04-06-2010, 02:25 PM
weve avoided oline too long, its not a glorious pick but it would be a great one

K Train
04-06-2010, 02:29 PM
your going to have to get yourself to a point where you can accept not picking earl thomas....i mean theres a few that would make me furious at 18 but theres about 10 players i would like and about 3 id be ok with and 3-4 i would hate my life....steelers have had the worst center play in the leaueu for 4 years now...how would drafting a potential great center be bad?

scudmissile29
04-06-2010, 02:38 PM
weve avoided oline too long, its not a glorious pick but it would be a great one

pouncey isnt the next dawson, overrated.

and also there are a few others i would like at 18 like kyle wilson, patrick robinson, mini woodley ect

K Train
04-06-2010, 02:50 PM
have you ever seen him play? the film on him is incredible.

robinson has no value at 18...he needs to sit a year before he'll make an impact. wilson has very little value at 18. i would punch a baby if we took kareem jackson or robinson at 18, and id be kinda mad at wilson but i could live with it

graham id love though

scudmissile29
04-06-2010, 03:11 PM
have you ever seen him play? the film on him is incredible.

robinson has no value at 18...he needs to sit a year before he'll make an impact. wilson has very little value at 18. i would punch a baby if we took kareem jackson or robinson at 18, and id be kinda mad at wilson but i could live with it

graham id love though

not always college players do good in the nfl.

if we did not pick pouncey im sure he would drop to the colts or second round.

shows how good he is if another 14 or so teams pass him up

K Train
04-06-2010, 03:25 PM

that could be said for any player lol...they would be the same 14 teams to pass on kyle wilson. thats a retarded argument. i doubt pouncey would make it past the cowboys at 27 and if were interested i wouldnt be shocked to see someone jump us to grab him. you made the worst argument ive ever heard though with the "shows how good he is" one

by that theory you say theres no way you would pick thomas if teams pass on him, especially if teams pass on him for berry....it just doesnt make any sense lol

scudmissile29
04-06-2010, 03:33 PM
that could be said for any player lol...they would be the same 14 teams to pass on kyle wilson. thats a retarded argument. i doubt pouncey would make it past the cowboys at 27 and if were interested i wouldnt be shocked to see someone jump us to grab him. you made the worst argument ive ever heard though with the "shows how good he is" one

by that theory you say theres no way you would pick thomas if teams pass on him, especially if teams pass on him for berry....it just doesnt make any sense lol

theres a difference

pouncey = overrated

thomas = stud

BlackGold4vr
04-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Sounds like someone is going to need a box of tissues close by on draft night.

:crying:

tburg68
04-06-2010, 03:34 PM
we dont need a Fb that cant block

No doubt. We already have one of those.

K Train
04-06-2010, 03:36 PM

you never know, i might need them bad

BlackGold4vr
04-06-2010, 03:43 PM
You always here that football is all about the match-ups. When you look at our O-line which guy is it that causes other teams the match-up head-aches? Thats right. We don't have one of those guys. Last guy we had that did cause defenses problems was Alan Faneca. Which one of our linemen wins his individual match-ups most of the time?

:helmet:

tburg68
04-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Dude, you are a broken record of stupid. I suppose that Rashard sucks too. He seemed to slip several spots on draft day too.

Please go and root for the Lions. Your posts are making all of us dumber just by reading them.

K Train
04-06-2010, 03:48 PM
You always here that football is all about the match-ups. When you look at our O-line which guy is it that causes other teams the match-up head-aches? Thats right. We don't have one of those guys. Last guy we had that did cause defenses problems was Alan Faneca. Which one of our linemen wins his individual match-ups most of the time?

exactly...

while having a dominating LT would be nice, but the position is a little overrated. if you have any player along the line, regardless of where it is that just cant be beat they all get better from left to right

tburg68
04-06-2010, 04:00 PM
exactly...

while having a dominating LT would be nice, but the position is a little overrated. if you have any player along the line, regardless of where it is that just cant be beat they all get better from left to right

I don't think LT is overrated. I do agree though that a dominate player at any position makes the entire line better. Having that dominate player at center gives the line an anchor to build from. The Steelers of all NFL teams, should realize that.

BlackGold4vr
04-06-2010, 04:20 PM
exactly...

Been saying this for years. We don't need 5 first round draft picks on the O-line to be good. All you need is at least 2 guys who win their match-ups most of the time and you will enjoy success. The other guys can be mediocre because the 2 studs will force defenses to gameplan for them. When the talent of your guy(s) forces defenses to account for it then you have already won the battle if not the war.

Worst stat of all is that the other 3 teams in our division all out rushed us and it is because they have BETTER O-lines than we do. Each one of those teams has some studs on their O-lines that make it work for them. Who is our stud? :thinking:

K Train
04-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Been saying this for years. We don't need 5 first round draft picks on the O-line to be good. All you need is at least 2 guys who win their match-ups most of the time and you will enjoy success. The other guys can be mediocre because the 2 studs will force defenses to gameplan for them. When the talent of your guy(s) forces defenses to account for it then you have already won the battle if not the war.

Worst stat of all is that the other 3 teams in our division all out rushed us and it is because they have BETTER O-lines than we do. Each one of those teams has some studs on their O-lines that make it work for them. Who is our stud? :thinking:

ravens have an amazing oline,, browns have joe thomas and mack...both first round picks, bengals dont really have anyone special besides smith who went 6th overall

but the thing is they all have a first round pick, or mulitple ones because they are premium players.

we have a 3rd round pick (starks), a 6th round pick (kemo) , and UDFA (hartwig), a 3rd round pick (essex) and a 5th round pick (colon) as our starters (average of 5th round selection)...being backed up by 3 UDFAs (stapleton, legursky, foster), a 4th round pick (hills), a 3rd round bum (urbik)

to say weve ignored it for too long and allowed us to fall behind the rest would be an understatement. you cant just rely on late round gems and UDFAs forever. it needs to be addressed.

now think back for a second to when the line was amazing

2nd round pick (smith), 1st round pick (faneca), 1st round pick (hartings), 1st round pick (simmons), 3rd round pick (starks)

average of 1.6 selection

it matters

Big T
04-06-2010, 05:43 PM
there's no point in agruing with steeldawgswag...his hatred of the gators and love for Earl Thomas blinds him....

Maurkice Pouncey = Stud

Black@Gold Forever32
04-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm still for the Steelers drafting a LT one day........But I don't think this will be the year yet again.....So that is why I'm on the Pouncey bandwagon.....

Our resident Pouncey hater thinks the Steelers OL is just fine....I find that statement really funny.....I agree all of the sacks are not the OL's fault and Ben is responsible for about 20 sacks....But Ben also does escape from his fair share of sacks to.......He does face interior pressure on a consistent basis......I think Pouncey could cure that and actually help Kemoeatu out and whoever starts at RG out greatly especially with stunts and blitzes.....Pouncey also faced very tough competition in college and shouldn't have problems with the Nagta's in the NFL......If Pouncey doesn't start out right away out at center then he will start at RG......

In my opinion Pouncey will also upgrade the run blocking......A blind man can tell the Steelers run blocking hasn't been up to Steelers standards the last few years.....Again I think center is a major problem......The Steelers started four man at center in 40 years.....Since 2007 they have started two clowns in Mahan and Hartwig......Our resident Pouncey hater already stated Pouncey won't be Dawson....I agree Pouncey probably won't be up on that level (not many centers are since Dawson was one of the best ever) but I would settle for a Jeff Hartings or better......

I think Pouncey could be as good as Mangold or better.....

coldrolled
04-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Who is our stud? :thinking:

BA :yellowthumb:

--- Added 4/6/2010 at 05:01 PM ---

ravens have an amazing oline,, browns have joe thomas and mack...both first round picks, bengals dont really have anyone special besides smith who went 6th overall

but the thing is they all have a first round pick, or mulitple ones because they are premium players.

we have a 3rd round pick (starks), a 6th round pick (kemo) , and UDFA (hartwig), a 3rd round pick (essex) and a 5th round pick (colon) as our starters (average of 5th round selection)...being backed up by 3 UDFAs (stapleton, legursky, foster), a 4th round pick (hills), a 3rd round bum (urbik)

to say weve ignored it for too long and allowed us to fall behind the rest would be an understatement. you cant just rely on late round gems and UDFAs forever. it needs to be addressed.

now think back for a second to when the line was amazing

2nd round pick (smith), 1st round pick (faneca), 1st round pick (hartings), 1st round pick (simmons), 3rd round pick (starks)

average of 1.6 selection

it matters

this is one of your best rants.. im with you on this logic.

Danger DANJ
04-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Click here (http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=C&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1) and see where Hartwig is rated among centers. He sucks! He gave up 7 sacks. No way a center should be giving up that many sacks. Some are Ben's fault you say? Well how about the 4 hits and 15 pressures Hartwig let up? How many of those would have been sacks if Ben wasn't so great at escaping?

If not Earl Thomas, give me Pouncey!

scudmissile29
04-07-2010, 11:05 AM

no doubt i will be crying with joy when pouncey isnt selected.

afterall we have never drafted a center with that pick.

im feeling pretty good now.

u can have my after used tissue after we dont draft him and all the excitment of another player.

im pretty sure u would like it as well, then u can wipe it all over your sorryass face

but yes of course i would want holmes to stay... but dont count out any trades in the near future, the fact that he told someone to die on twitter lmao, probably upset rooney quite alot.

--- Added 4/7/2010 at 09:05 AM ---

lets take a look at next offseason.

lawrence timmons
lamarr woodley
santonio holmes

all need resigning. lets look back 1 year

antonio bryant 4 year $28M deal.

sorry but holmes isn't going to get on average close to 13 million a year, moreso he will want more.

and fyi we have let super bowl mvp's walk.

im not saying we should trade him, how about go get some glasses and read DONT COUNT OUT

if u cant read then, as my role model hero would say, my favourite quote now

u shud drink somethin n kill urself.

but ofcourse that is right for a world class organization.

Blazedby92
04-07-2010, 11:09 AM

u can have my after used tissue after we dont draft him and all the excitment of another player.

im pretty sure u would like it as well, then u can wipe it all over your sorryass face

but yes of course i would want holmes to stay... but dont count out any trades in the near future, the fact that he told someone to die on twitter lmao, probably upset rooney quite alot.

--- Added 4/7/2010 at 09:05 AM ---

lets take a look at next offseason.

lawrence timmons
lamarr woodley
santonio holmes

all need resigning. lets look back 1 year

sorry but holmes isn't going to get on average close to 13 million a year, moreso he will want more.

WOW, You know everything I am glad you work in the FO otherwise the Steelers wouldn't be **it. :lol:

BlackGold4vr
04-07-2010, 11:10 AM

Either you are about 5 years old or you are near retarded, I haven't figured out which one yet. Your posts are incoherent and non-sensical. It is obvious to me that you haven't a clue what you are talking about and you seem to annoy most of the other people on this site. Perhaps I will just put the block on you so I won't even see your idiotic posts. :evilshake:

scudmissile29
04-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Either you are about 5 years old or you are near retarded, I haven't figured out which one yet. Your posts are incoherent and non-sensical. It is obvious to me that you haven't a clue what you are talking about and you seem to annoy most of the other people on this site. Perhaps I will just put the block on you so I won't even see your idiotic posts. :evilshake:

well then do that then.

tburg68
04-07-2010, 05:28 PM

LOL. I wouldn't put you on ignore, I would miss out on some of the best laughs on the forum.

I'm not sure of your 13 mil/yr statement and how that would compare to Bryant's deal, which averages 7 mil/yr. LMAO

Name the Super Bowl MVP that the Steelers have let walk!

BlackGold4vr
04-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Name the Super Bowl MVP that the Steelers have let walk!

To date the only Steeler SB MVP that played for another team was Franco Harris. He won his MVP in SB IX (The Steelers 1st SB in 1975).

9 years later and on the downside of his career, Franco held out and demanded a big contract and the Steelers refused to negotiate with him. They cut him in training camp that year and he later signed with the Seahawks where he played his final season. If that constitutes letting a star walk then im all for it.

Bradshaw won it twice and retired a Steeler
Swann won it once and retired a Steeler
Hines won it and should retire a Steeler
Holmes won it and the last I checked......he is still a Steeler

Me thinks someone doesn't have a clue what he is talking about! :yesnod:

K Train
04-07-2010, 06:18 PM
i do think theres a chance they let holmes go....i would be 100% against it

Black@Gold Forever32
04-07-2010, 06:26 PM
i do think theres a chance they let holmes go....i would be 100% against it

I would be against them letting Holmes go to but like you said there is chance it will happen.....

andyg1984
04-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Agreed unless Toby G in still there in the 3rd. We can also get a small school tackle in the 5th.

legarette blount would knock gerhart out! jk .. lol

jcloss23
04-07-2010, 09:18 PM
toby is just too slow and too white, at least brian leonard had the leonard leap...the most electrifying move ive ever seen lol

Brian leanord came from my tiny *** home town in northern new york, the man had a ton of talent in high school and i think if he got time he could be talented in the pros too. I hate him being on cincinatti

K Train
04-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Brian leanord came from my tiny *** home town in northern new york, the man had a ton of talent in high school and i think if he got time he could be talented in the pros too. I hate him being on cincinatti

oh i could see him being a man child in HS...hes just a nice recieving option out of the backfield in the pros though, an occasional runner

scudmissile29
04-07-2010, 10:17 PM
To date the only Steeler SB MVP that played for another team was Franco Harris. He won his MVP in SB IX (The Steelers 1st SB in 1975).

9 years later and on the downside of his career, Franco held out and demanded a big contract and the Steelers refused to negotiate with him. They cut him in training camp that year and he later signed with the Seahawks where he played his final season. If that constitutes letting a star walk then im all for it.

Bradshaw won it twice and retired a Steeler
Swann won it once and retired a Steeler
Hines won it and should retire a Steeler
Holmes won it and the last I checked......he is still a Steeler

Me thinks someone doesn't have a clue what he is talking about! :yesnod:

you a retard.

franco harris.

still was a MVP.

so shut up and me thinks go drink some poison.

K Train
04-07-2010, 11:31 PM
for real exchange phone numbers or something to flame each other

Blazedby92
04-08-2010, 09:09 AM
for real exchange phone numbers or something to flame each other

:yellowthumb: :gfight:

coldrolled
04-08-2010, 09:23 AM
back to pouncey...

Kiper has UF C/G going to Steelers in first round
April 7th, 2010 With the NFL draft two weeks away, ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has the Steelers taking Florida center/guard Maurkice Pouncey with their first-round pick, No. 18 overall.

“I think the Steelers could use a versatile, interior presence that can play at a high level at center or guard,” Kiper said today on a conference call. “He’s also got great character.”

If the Steelers took the 6-5, 304-pound Pouncey with their top pick, they could play him at right guard, where they could use an upgrade, and eventually move him to center.

Pouncey compares favorably with Jets center Nick Mangold, who has made the last two Pro Bowls and become one of the top players at his position.

If the Steelers address the offensive line with their first-round pick, Kiper said, they almost have to use their second-round pick on a cornerback.

Kiper said Patrick Robinson of Florida State would be a strong possibility for the Steelers in the second round if they go with a cornerback.

Another possibility he mentioned in the second round is East Carolina nose tackle Linval Joseph.

“Is really under the radar,” Kiper said of the 6-41/2 328-pound Joseph, “but has really come along and is now a solid late (round) one or early to mid two.”

Kiper said the Steelers may take a defensive end early in the draft and said Arkansas State’s Alex Carrington is a possibility for them in the third round. Joseph, he said, also could play end in a 3-4 defense

K Train
04-08-2010, 09:44 AM
thats funny. i dont read kipers stuff, but i have pouncey #1 and robinson #2 with carrington and joseph not in it, but alt picks

cmerrifield
04-08-2010, 09:51 AM
thats funny. i dont read kipers stuff, but i have pouncey #1 and robinson #2 with carrington and joseph not in it, but alt picks

I think if you are agreeing with Kiper, either you have lost your mind, or he is listening to people who really know. Kiper is one of the worst draft "experts" :lol:

K Train
04-08-2010, 10:01 AM
they all suck, i think kipers been following me

coldrolled
04-08-2010, 10:22 AM
I think if you are agreeing with Kiper, either you have lost your mind, or he is listening to people who really know. Kiper is one of the worst draft "experts" :lol:

i had mcclain and robinson... anyway.

please post a link to the best draft expert. i would like to see his picks.

thanks..

K Train
04-08-2010, 10:32 AM
all you need to do is follow me, **** the rest

coldrolled
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
all you need to do is follow me, **** the rest

Idaho guard Mike Iupati heads a list of six college draft prospects s who will visit the Steelers today.

Iupati, who is 6 feet 5 and 331 pounds, has been selected as the Steelers first-round draft pick in many mock drafts. The other five players visiting today are Maurkice Pouncey of Florida, rated the best center in the draft, defensive linemen Clifton Geathers of South Carolina and Linval Joseph of East Carolina, South Florida wide receiver Carlton Mitchel and Arizona tight end Rob Gronkowski.

The Steelers have entertained 25 prospects over the past two weeks and can have as many as five more by Wednesday.

andyg1984
04-08-2010, 11:16 AM
im cool with them bring in iupati for a visit insofar as it may lead some teams to think we are interested and perhaps that would make it easier to trade out if nothing is there ..

and at the very minimum maybe some of his shortcomings will be exposed in interviews to lead us away ..

K Train
04-08-2010, 11:23 AM
let me be clear on my stance on iupati.

he doesnt really have "shortcomings" hes about as good of a guard as you can get....will probably be in the hutchinson, faneca and shawn andrews group of prospects. i think he could play RT easily and be great. he was very coachable at the senior bowl, hes still learning english and i hav seen him handle 2 guys with little effort.

that being said, i dont think we need him enough to take him at 18, he has value there but theres going to be at least 4-5 better picks at that spot

Black@Gold Forever32
04-08-2010, 12:56 PM

he doesnt really have "shortcomings" hes about as good of a guard as you can get....will probably be in the hutchinson, faneca and shawn andrews group of prospects. i think he could play RT easily and be great. he was very coachable at the senior bowl, hes still learning english and i hav seen him handle 2 guys with little effort.

that being said, i dont think we need him enough to take him at 18, he has value there but theres going to be at least 4-5 better picks at that spot

If the Steelers were still being coached by Cowher and playing Cowher Ball then Iupati would be the perfect fit..........He is going to be a very good OG but wouldn't be the perfect fit for out offense now under Arians......

JensK
04-08-2010, 01:06 PM
One thing i can promise everyone is, if we should draft Iupati, Mendenhall is going to destroy the world!

Black@Gold Forever32
04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
One thing i can promise everyone is, if we should draft Iupati, Mendenhall is going to destroy the world!

For sure Iupati would upgrade the run blocking greatly.......If the Steelers were still a power running offense mainly I would be all over Iupati at 18........I really wouldn't be that upset if the Steelers drafted him....I wouldn't do cart wheels or anything of that nature but I wouldn't be pissed......

BlackGold4vr
04-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Can we just fast forward to the 22nd? :haha:

We have analyzed and deciphered these prospects to death. Let's just get on with it already. I am kinda chapped that they are milking this draft for 3 seperate days. Way too much time between picks. :2cents:

coldrolled
04-08-2010, 01:43 PM

Pouncey or davis or iupati will make mendenhalls day.

andyg1984
04-08-2010, 01:48 PM

imo he does have shortcomings that exclude an OG from top 20 in a passing league, but i can easily see him having a better career than some of the busts that will be picked ahead, he really has little downside imo so i would not be horrified at the pick ...

k, you are putting him with Hutch/Fan as a prospect, right? you don't think he could be as good career-wise as those two do you?

JensK
04-08-2010, 01:49 PM
For sure Iupati would upgrade the run blocking greatly.......If the Steelers were still a power running offense mainly I would be all over Iupati at 18........I really wouldn't be that upset if the Steelers drafted him....I wouldn't do cart wheels or anything of that nature but I wouldn't be pissed......

Im feeling the same way really. Ultimately i think i am going to be a little bit disapointed with all picks unless we draft Thomas or Pouncey. Thats the thing about this years draft, that there are so much talent in the first couple of rounds... Iupati would not be a horrible pick and he would dominate at RG (although i think he is a bit heavy to play zone-blocking), but there would be other players at 18 too, which i probably would have wanted as well.

JollyRob68
04-08-2010, 02:19 PM

Toby G is this years John Riggins and perhaps that *** Bruce Arians would actually use a pony backfield.

--- Added 4/8/2010 at 12:20 PM ---

What blocking scheme are they going to use with this new line coach? What did he use in Buffalo? I read he takes what his players do well and makes them better but what will be there Identity?

BlackGold4vr
04-08-2010, 02:21 PM
While I would certainly not be disappointed with Earl Thomas, I would be happier with the Maurkice Pouncey or Kyle Wilson pick. I just feel that Wilson or Pouncey would fill bigger needs than Thomas would. Thomas would undoubtedly replace Clark in the next year or two but Wilson or Pouncey would play right away IMO. There are no linebackers in this draft who would crack our starting line-up this year, not even McClain. Any offensive tackle that might be left by pick 18 wouldn't play this year either.

Lets face it 2 of our weakest links last year.........

Justin Hartwig and Willie Gay

Which is why im favoring the two picks that would eventually make parting with these players not only possible but likely.

K Train
04-08-2010, 02:23 PM
imo he does have shortcomings that exclude an OG from top 20 in a passing league, but i can easily see him having a better career than some of the busts that will be picked ahead, he really has little downside imo so i would not be horrified at the pick ...

k, you are putting him with Hutch/Fan as a prospect, right? you don't think he could be as good career-wise as those two do you?

he got stood up in pass blocking a little at the senior bowl but i dont think thats gonna be his career. he has a tackle size (oddly enough colon has a guard size) but he is still learning english im pretty sure and shows brilliant flashes...guards arent first round prsopects very often, he makes a legit case for that kind of credit...he deserves to go in the first, he wouldnt make us worse that for sure but if we do tak him that means i was right about urbik and the coaches dont have any use for him

K Train
04-08-2010, 02:24 PM
While I would certainly not be disappointed with Earl Thomas, I would be happier with the Maurkice Pouncey or Kyle Wilson pick. I just feel that Wilson or Pouncey would fill bigger needs than Thomas would. Thomas would undoubtedly replace Clark in the next year or two but Wilson or Pouncey would play right away IMO. There are no linebackers in this draft who would crack our starting line-up this year, not even McClain. Any offensive tackle that might be left by pick 18 wouldn't play this year either.

Lets face it 2 of our weakest links last year.........

Justin Hartwig and Willie Gay

Which is why im favoring the two picks that would eventually make parting with these players not only possible but likely.

steelers like thomas as a corner more than a safety, wilson is not nearly as good as thomas at either safety or corner, thomas played alot of corner at texas and dominated there too

BlackGold4vr
04-08-2010, 02:29 PM
steelers like thomas as a corner more than a safety, wilson is not nearly as good as thomas at either safety or corner, thomas played alot of corner at texas and dominated there too

I hadn't really thought of that angle. Thanks for removing my tunnelvision goggles! :lol:
If Thomas became a shut-down corner for us that would be an excellent choice.

JollyRob68
04-08-2010, 02:30 PM
I think Thomas is going to be gone before 18. If the Steelers like Thomas as a CB then If he's there he'd be the pick. Mel KIper & Todd Mcshay have us picking Pouncey but McShay has JOE HADEN still on the board.
If JOE HADEN is still on the board the Steelers would draft him because value and need are very high. Correct?
With Thomas's BAll Hawking skills he would be an Awesome Steeler CB.

BlackGold4vr, I agree that stretching the draft 3 night is too much.

K Train
04-08-2010, 02:32 PM
thomas may be too small to play safety...i dont think so but its possible, in which case corner is the best move obviously...the man can play though. im saying he wont be there at 18 but who knows.

if haden is there you take him, im not that high on him but its terrific value.

BlackGold4vr
04-08-2010, 02:38 PM
if haden is there you take him, im not that high on him but its terrific value.

I would pick Pouncey before Haden. Small fast corners are a lot easier to find than a pro-bowl caliber center. We could go back 10 years in the draft and name many great CB's but very few dominant centers. Just sayin....

K Train
04-08-2010, 02:43 PM
no way, top corner falls to you who excels in man coverage on a WRs hip at 18 you have to take him. he wont be there but you have to take value, i mean theres always michael pouncey lol

i dont need a great center, i just want a good one lol

scudmissile29
04-08-2010, 02:56 PM

mendenhall is destroyer of worlds anyways :P

tburg68
04-08-2010, 03:57 PM
If the Steelers could find a willing trade partner at 8-10, and could draft Bulaga/ Thomas, then I think that should be the play.

If not, draft Pouncey 18.

Trading down shouldn't be an option.

JollyRob68
04-08-2010, 04:24 PM
If the Steelers could find a willing trade partner at 8-10, and could draft Bulaga/ Thomas, then I think that should be the play.

If not, draft Pouncey 18.

Trading down shouldn't be an option.

Wow I agree with you. If Mcclain,bulaga & Thomas are there who's the pick?

K Train
04-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Wow I agree with you. If Mcclain,bulaga & Thomas are there who's the pick?

bulaga

JollyRob68
04-08-2010, 05:18 PM
bulaga

Bulaga allows you to move starks to right tackle ,colon to RG and we can get a center in the later rounds. Someone mentioned possibly moving Colon to Center. He cant false start there. LOL, nevermind he'd probably forget to hike the ball on time.:banana:

K Train
04-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Bulaga allows you to move starks to right tackle ,colon to RG and we can get a center in the later rounds. Someone mentioned possibly moving Colon to Center. He cant false start there. LOL, nevermind he'd probably forget to hike the ball on time.:banana:

starks sucks at RT, hes left handed and will always be better on the left but not that much better. bulaga would start at RG and crush and then move to LT one day when we finally let starks go

coldrolled
04-08-2010, 05:30 PM
starks sucks at RT, hes left handed and will always be better on the left but not that much better. bulaga would start at RG and crush and then move to LT one day when we finally let starks go

i thought starks was a right tackle in college?

to many things to remember...

why do all our picks have to start at right guard??

pouncey, bulaga, anthony davis... let em play where we drafted em...

hartwig cant be much better than pouncey after a few games under pounceys belt..

move hartwig to right guard :grin1:

K Train
04-08-2010, 05:41 PM
pouncey would start at center

RG is a hole, they dont have the balls to make starks sit down or slide colon in

tburg68
04-08-2010, 11:09 PM
bulaga

Agree. Draft the other Pouncey next year. Bulaga will be a dominating LT within a year.

scudmissile29
04-09-2010, 05:37 AM
Agree. Draft the other Pouncey next year. Bulaga will be a dominating LT within a year.

Yes expect Bualaga is pretty much gone by the Bills

JollyRob68
04-09-2010, 06:28 AM

They all say starks played better at rt tackle.

scudmissile29
04-09-2010, 07:10 AM

everyone says pouncey is 18th pick value :bonk:

Dobre Shunka
04-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Board @18:
Thomas -> Wilson -> McClain -> Pouncey -> Williams -> Davis -> Iupati -> Haden

K Train
04-09-2010, 12:16 PM
he was awful at RT, maybe he is better suited of an athlete for it but he was absolutely dismal on the right side, hes been servicable on the left

everyone says pouncey is 18th pick value :bonk:
he HAS value there, alot of players do

Board @18:
Thomas -> Wilson -> McClain -> Pouncey -> Williams -> Davis -> Iupati -> Haden

haden that low? come on now no way you take a guard or kyle wilson over haden

JollyRob68
04-09-2010, 12:23 PM
I hope this new line coach get them back to they way the were with Russ Grim. I know we don't have Faneca but Iupati,Pouncey or John Jerry could do it.
I think Anthony Davis has the best chance of slipping because of the concerns that he's lazy.

K Train
04-09-2010, 12:43 PM
he was never even coached well at rutgers which is a program that went to a fiasco with the staff and it never effected his play and he wasnt lazy then. hes this years victim of over analysis

scudmissile29
04-09-2010, 02:12 PM
he was awful at RT, maybe he is better suited of an athlete for it but he was absolutely dismal on the right side, hes been servicable on the left

he HAS value there, alot of players do

haden that low? come on now no way you take a guard or kyle wilson over haden

imo kyle wilson will a shutdown corner and haden wont because of the deep speed. like wilson will be able to hang with boldin adn haden wont.

K Train
04-09-2010, 02:31 PM
since when does boldin have deep speed? hes a 4.6-4.7 guys when 100% healthy

speed isnt everything, asomugha and revis are not the fastest corners but have brilliant technique...ty hill, chris houston, d-hall...all ran 4.3 flat and have been journey men at best

kyle wilson isnt exactly electricfyingly fast either

JensK
04-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Haden is doing to be better than Kyle Wilson as a pure man-man coverage guy. Hes ot much better technique for it than Wilson. Wilson will probably be a better zone guy than Haden though. With that being said, if both of them would be around at 18,i'll go with Haden all day.

andyg1984
04-09-2010, 03:47 PM
haden has better upside imo, i think no matter what coverage scheme you use a guy that can lock on the hip is very valuable, the whole zone vs man is a little overdone imo because eventually some1 has to be able to stay on a good WR

scudmissile29
04-09-2010, 04:34 PM
since when does boldin have deep speed? hes a 4.6-4.7 guys when 100% healthy

speed isnt everything, asomugha and revis are not the fastest corners but have brilliant technique...ty hill, chris houston, d-hall...all ran 4.3 flat and have been journey men at best

kyle wilson isnt exactly electricfyingly fast either

kyle wilson is fast.

haden got burned against cincinanti in one game, the only reason imo that he succeded is because of that rush florida have.

im not hating on haden, just stating.

K Train
04-09-2010, 05:17 PM
kyle wilson is fast.

haden got burned against cincinanti in one game, the only reason imo that he succeded is because of that rush florida have.

wilson is not that fast...he ran a good time, better than i thought but his game is being physical and scrappy

listen i get that you clearly dont like the gators, neither do i but this has nothing to do with what team they played for

haden doesnt really have any holes in his game and if he did good because of the rush, thats what he would get here, except he could play some man and not get ****ed up in a zone all the time

also haden has sweet feet, his backpeddal is very fast and smooth

Big T
04-10-2010, 06:34 AM
I love me some Joe Haden at 18...I try to never be bias when "scouting" players and I really do believe Haden is the best corner in this draft with the most upside...it would be nice to have a corner we could leave one-on-one and not really worry about...

JollyRob68
04-10-2010, 11:13 AM
If Haden was to slip as Todd Mcshay thinks the value for him at 18 is just too high to pass up. What I'm noticing on Mel Kipers big board and Scouts incs board is that McClain is slipping.In Espn Rumors they're saying the Giants are going to take Sean Weatherspoon Because he's faster and covers sideline to sideline.

SO HADEN or McClain? what do you want and what do you think Mike Tomlin will do?
I going with McClain (my pick & Tomlins)because we need to upgrade the front 7 1st and can get a CB in round 2 or 3.

coldrolled
04-10-2010, 11:45 AM
If Haden was to slip as Todd Mcshay thinks the value for him at 18 is just too high to pass up. What I'm noticing on Mel Kipers big board and Scouts incs board is that McClain is slipping.In Espn Rumors they're saying the Giants are going to take Sean Weatherspoon Because he's faster and covers sideline to sideline.

SO HADEN or McClain? what do you want and what do you think Mike Tomlin will do?
I going with McClain (my pick & Tomlins)because we need to upgrade the front 7 1st and can get a CB in round 2 or 3.

if you get McClain or Weatherspoon. who can basically come in and play?

i would think both... Pouncey should be a starter if he makes it to us at 18.

i think mcclain fits the steelers better but i like the energy weatherspoon would bring, we need a bit more of that.

DanRooney
04-10-2010, 01:31 PM
kyle wilson is fast.

Wilson never played the top competition that Haden did in college. I'm not saying he's bad, but Haden is at the top of the CB class for a reason.

We have a great rush as well. He won't be missing a beat if we draft him.

JollyRob68
04-10-2010, 04:18 PM
if you get McClain or Weatherspoon. who can basically come in and play?

i would think both... Pouncey should be a starter if he makes it to us at 18.

i think mcclain fits the steelers better but i like the energy weatherspoon would bring, we need a bit more of that.

Thanks I hope McClain slips to 18.

--- Added 4/10/2010 at 02:18 PM ---

Wilson never played the top competition that Haden did in college. I'm not saying he's bad, but Haden is at the top of the CB class for a reason.

We have a great rush as well. He won't be missing a beat if we draft him.

I agree Haden played against the better talent. However every time we watched Wilson he stays in the WR hip. Cant wait for the draft:yellowthumb:

coach
04-10-2010, 06:28 PM
as painful as it is, i dont think thomas will be the pick

I am going to have a lot us draft supplies handy on Thursday. That includes a big box of tissue. I just hope he doesn't end up in NE or somewhere where he kills us for years.

Real Deal Steel
04-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Okay..

Who do you like with our 18th pick between these two guys? I'm leaning towards Maurkice Pouncey because of his size is unusual for a center and he'd be great against all these nose tackles in the 3-4 defense. He's also got a bad attitude too.

A real mauler in the run game. And lord knows we've been needing that.

Big T
04-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Are you serious? This exact thread has been made already...don't mean to be a dick...it's in the war room...

Pouncey just so you know....

--- Added 4/10/2010 at 04:57 PM ---

Wait, I take that back, I do mean to be a dick....this is the second time YOUVE created this thread....WTF?

HUNT4SEVEN
04-10-2010, 10:53 PM
From what i hear Pouncey is a bad @$$ we would be set at center for the next 10 years if this is true...so i say Pouncey!

Real Deal Steel
04-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Sorry. I didn't know this was moved to the war room. Sorry Mr. Moderator. My bad. Won't happen again.

Real Deal Steel
04-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Pouncey is the choice because he would be such an asset against all those good nose tackles in the 3-4 defenses. He's a beast in the run game too. And we have to make it a priority to get back to running the ball effectively. It's the best way for Ben not to take all those hits. More balance offensively means better control and time of possession which in turn makes it easier on the defense.

Pouncey and then maybe look around for a free agent OT after the draft because there will be a ton of OT getting cut because of the selection of so many OT in this draft. Just get a free agent guy for depth purposes if nothing else.

scudmissile29
04-11-2010, 04:31 AM
Are you serious? This exact thread has been made already...don't mean to be a dick...it's in the war room...

Pouncey just so you know....

--- Added 4/10/2010 at 04:57 PM ---

Wait, I take that back, I do mean to be a dick....this is the second time YOUVE created this thread....WTF?

lol :lol:

Steel Trap86
04-11-2010, 10:28 AM
listen i get that you clearly dont like the gators, neither do i but this has nothing to do with what team they played for

exactly, the guy can hold down his f*ckin position. a solid center has the ability to make or break your whole offense. anybody who has played football knows this.

coldrolled
04-11-2010, 10:43 AM
exactly, the guy can hold down his f*ckin position. a solid center has the ability to make or break your whole offense. anybody who has played football knows this.

then does hartwig play RG or LG?

JensK
04-11-2010, 01:17 PM
then does hartwig play RG or LG?

Pouncey would play RG untill Hartwigs contract was over, and then Pouncey would be move to center...

coldrolled
04-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Pouncey would play RG untill Hartwigs contract was over, and then Pouncey would be move to center...

if he cant start at center this year. we may as well get a ILB or CB first round.'

#18 for an OL that cant start... no thanks..

Big T
04-11-2010, 03:41 PM
if he cant start at center this year. we may as well get a ILB or CB first round.'

#18 for an OL that cant start... no thanks..

did you read his post? He would start at RG and even make Hartwig a little less horrible...

K Train
04-11-2010, 03:44 PM
i think he would start over hartwig and essex would be the RG honestly

Big T
04-11-2010, 03:46 PM
i think he would start over hartwig and essex would be the RG honestly

He could definitely start over Hartwig, I just dont think they would bench hartwig after extending him...I obviously hope he starts at center...

coldrolled
04-11-2010, 05:09 PM
did you read his post? He would start at RG and even make Hartwig a little less horrible...

Starting at Center.. is the point for a #18 center pick.

hartwig to a guard position. R or L

then how would the whole starting line look?

K Train
04-11-2010, 05:13 PM
moving hartwig to guard wouldnt be the answer lol

Big T
04-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Starting at Center.. is the point for a #18 center pick.

hartwig to a guard position. R or L

then how would the whole starting line look?

Kemoeatu's got the LG spot locked down and no one wants to see Hartwig at guard...

tburg68
04-11-2010, 09:24 PM
He could definitely start over Hartwig, I just dont think they would bench hartwig after extending him...I obviously hope he starts at center...

They shouldn't just bench Hartwig, they should cut him. I'm a 41 yr old fat man, who excelled as a second string C in High School, and I'm pretty sure I could play as well as Hartwig. I would throw a party if the Steelers got rid of Hartwig COMPLETELY!

coldrolled
04-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Kemoeatu's got the LG spot locked down and no one wants to see Hartwig at guard...

so hartwig would add depth at center...

so who would be the starting line up with pouncey as center??

JensK
04-11-2010, 10:03 PM
so hartwig would add depth at center...

so who would be the starting line up with pouncey as center??

Starks - Kemo - Pouncey - Essex - Colon

$teelersRule
04-11-2010, 10:20 PM
maybe: Starks- Kemo- Pauncy- Fauster/Urbik- Colon

JensK
04-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Urbik is never going to play, unless Kugler does something insane with him... He is way way to heavy for our system. Forgot about Foster, he could have a shot at starting, but i see him more as a backup OT..

K Train
04-11-2010, 10:35 PM
as much as i do not want iupati, them drafting iupati would be a big boost to my ego because it would mean they have zero faith in urbiks progress and ability

Black@Gold Forever32
04-11-2010, 11:21 PM
I think Foster is going to beat out Essex.....I was impressed with Foster last year....I don't think he will ever be all-pro but I think Foster could turn into a consistent solid NFL starter......I'm not counting on Urbik to do anything but you can't count him out either...You never know he could surprise...lol I know Ktrain thinks other wise...lol I just hope Urbik does surprise since it would be another wasted pick....lol

Colbert's second day drafts have been train wrecks the last 5 or so years...lol

coldrolled
04-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Urbik is never going to play, unless Kugler does something insane with him... He is way way to heavy for our system. Forgot about Foster, he could have a shot at starting, but i see him more as a backup OT..

why would they draft him if hes too heavy???

maybe he should be the center?

JensK
04-12-2010, 01:51 PM
why would they draft him if hes too heavy???

maybe he should be the center?

Who knows... Those word could be said of pretty much all our picks last year... Urbik is a weight-room warrior with the most slow feet you will ever see with a guard. Steelers have used zone-blocking which is for fast and small o-line men, where we use a lot of traps - pulls and so on. Kemo is a beast at those plays, Urbik wouldnt even make it past the center before the play was over.

I dont think he'll ever be a center. He could probably be a good guard in a line-blocking system, where he just have to stand his own and be strong.

BlackGold4vr
04-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Urbik is a weight-room warrior with the most slow feet you will ever see with a guard.

Perhaps he has been taking dance lessons from our slothlike starting left tackle - Maxipad Starks.......:thinking:

:hilarious: