PDA

View Full Version : good and bad news

JensK
04-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Forget the safety from Southern California, Taylor Mays. Mike Tomlin does not like him, not high in the draft anyway. He put up good numbers at the combine, but not good performances during last season. Remember what Deion Sanders said about Mays? He's right on as far as the Steelers are concerned. Here is a safety Tomlin does like: Kam Chancellor of Virginia Tech, a big man at 6-3, 231. He's not a first-rounder, but then the Steelers no longer have an interest in drafting a safety on the first round.

Frank Summers, who had back surgery during his rookie season, has been working out daily with his teammates and looks good. He will be a bonus in their backfield if his back is strong and maybe be what they call in hockey a mucker and grinder in their backfield, particularly in short yardage. He could be a hammer back there to complement Rashard Mendenhall. However, you must put him in the "if" category now because he has not shown it in Pittsburgh yet.

There really are not one or two positions the Steelers need to fill over others in the draft. There are more than that, which is why you cannot say they will take this, that or the other thing. Would it surprise anyone, for instance, if they drafted a linebacker on the first round? A guard? Tackle? Defensive lineman? Cornerback? And, depending on what happens over the next three weeks, a quarterback?

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/10094/1047802-66.stm#ixzz0k9GKQ8If

At least it means no Taylor Mays, but i guess it makes the chances for Earl Thomas look pretty bad :/

scudmissile29
04-04-2010, 02:04 PM
He played everywhere at Hokies.

I saw him play strong safety.

Kam chancellor wont be there when we pick unless we want him in the second.

Wouldnt look to much it's just one faggots opinion because ed bouchette wants to butt **** pouncey.

--- Added 4/4/2010 at 01:04 PM ---

p.s. why would mike tomlin pass up an opporunity of earl thomas for kam chancellor?

if tomlin does do that i dont want him as coach. hes **** at drafting and this is his chance to draft 5 rounds of exceptional talent.

DanRooney
04-04-2010, 04:46 PM
He played everywhere at Hokies.

I saw him play strong safety.

Kam chancellor wont be there when we pick unless we want him in the second.

Wouldnt look to much it's just one faggots opinion because ed bouchette wants to butt **** pouncey.

--- Added 4/4/2010 at 01:04 PM ---

p.s. why would mike tomlin pass up an opporunity of earl thomas for kam chancellor?

if tomlin does do that i dont want him as coach. hes **** at drafting and this is his chance to draft 5 rounds of exceptional talent.

Kam Chancellor is like a 5th-6th round pick imo. He's way too big to be playing safety.

All resources are pointing that we're going to draft OL, and by OL I mean either Iupati or Pouncey. It's really discouraging if Tomlin really just wants to obey Rooney since he said he wanted them to 'run the ball more.' I really already dislike Tomlin. I honestly don't know what his job is. He doesn't have any control of his team and really has no say on offense or defense. He's basically like a cheerleader on the sidelines.

scudmissile29
04-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Kam Chancellor is like a 5th-6th round pick imo. He's way too big to be playing safety.

All resources are pointing that we're going to draft OL, and by OL I mean either Iupati or Pouncey. It's really discouraging if Tomlin really just wants to obey Rooney since he said he wanted them to 'run the ball more.' I really already dislike Tomlin. I honestly don't know what his job is. He doesn't have any control of his team and really has no say on offense or defense. He's basically like a cheerleader on the sidelines.

someone like pouncey isnt worth top 20, he's more like 20-30... if we trade down if i get the opportunity to smack tomlin in the face i would welcome it... iupati is ****ing ugly i dont want that scumbag on our offensive line.

coach
04-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Our offense was great last year whereas our defence was downright disappointing. I would actually be surprised if we took O line in first because at 18, we will have plenty of options, including trading down. There are quality defenders at positions where we lack depth. I don't see it unless a highly touted OT falls.

If I saw a trade down and believed this was part of a strategy, perhaps. Reaching for O line help, in my view, only makes it worse. I don't know what others think but I believe we are more than one player away from opposing our will on other teams in the form of a run game.

Does anyone know how Hillis is progresing and will he contribute this year?

Big T
04-04-2010, 08:17 PM
He isn't talking about chancellor in the 1st...I wouldn't mind him in the 4th

K Train
04-04-2010, 10:25 PM
lmao at summers...he wont make the final roster

coldrolled
04-05-2010, 08:09 AM
lmao at summers...he wont make the final roster

we shall see. i still have a story in my head from camp last year where two D players.
leveled summers, one hit him in the back one in the front. not sure if it was full contact drills yet. but it got quite for summers after that. maybe he messed up his spine then already.

we shall see what happens. i hope he shows up, he is strong, he had thousands of UNLV yards passing and catching plus moving piles of people.

he would be a great bonus if he shows up.

K Train
04-05-2010, 09:27 AM
lmao he hurt his back by slamming his face into the ground on every lead block he attempted and whiffed

coldrolled
04-05-2010, 09:43 AM
lmao he hurt his back by slamming his face into the ground on every lead block he attempted and whiffed

how long has spaeth been trying to play on this team???? catch a ball?

Carey Davis???

Summers carried the rock in UNLV, not sure how much blocking he did.. he was the teams top offensive weapon...

he may need some time on that blocking stuff :lol:...

we shall see. i still think his own team hurt him on a cheap a__ play.

thats why we may not have heard to much about it. it sure didnt happen in his 8 plays in the NFL. i think he had the ball once and ran for 4 yards. :cursin:BA:cursin:

K Train
04-05-2010, 10:07 AM
when i get home from work ill post my frank summers NFL highlight video....forget the UNLV youtube stuff. he shouldnt have been drafted, thats for damn sure

coldrolled
04-05-2010, 10:20 AM
when i get home from work ill post my frank summers NFL highlight video....forget the UNLV youtube stuff. he shouldnt have been drafted, thats for damn sure

dude, he is a steeler... im for him to be a good player...

making the film is great, but i have the feeling he was playing his 8 plays with a busted back...

kinda like sweed. this is his year to make it or break it.. and hes a #2 in year 3?

redman gets one more year too.

but with that said, we will probably draft a RB in the earlier rounds 3rd or 4th.

then the RB contest is on as to who stays or who plays the PS again.

Summers is still in the FB slot.

So the new RB and redman will be battling for the #3 position more than summers will.

K Train
04-05-2010, 10:21 AM
summers is terrible, and he had more than 8 plays....and they were all equally awful. no team other than us had any interest in him, he must have sucked off the coaches to not make him go undrafted

coldrolled
04-05-2010, 10:51 AM
summers is terrible, and he had more than 8 plays....and they were all equally awful. no team other than us had any interest in him, he must have sucked off the coaches to not make him go undrafted

hmm. if my recall is right. it was Mean Joe Green that was scouting him.. and getting him drafted. you will have to ask mean joe about the bonus... :grin1:

one more year... we shall see.

K Train
04-05-2010, 10:59 AM
mean joe green was also on the scouting teams that provided up with hood, urbik, shipley. just because he was a great player like 35 years ago doesnt mean he automatically had an eye for talented RB gems late in the draft lol. summers would have probably been sick in the 70s.

summers=nate illaoa

coldrolled
04-05-2010, 11:19 AM
mean joe green was also on the scouting teams that provided up with hood, urbik, shipley. just because he was a great player like 35 years ago doesnt mean he automatically had an eye for talented RB gems late in the draft lol. summers would have probably been sick in the 70s.

summers=nate illaoa

i have been watching these guys since the late 60's so i have a tendency to lean toward the fb stuff.

but remember this, once most teams in the league are geared up for stopping and catching all these high flyer receivers, the pendulum will swing back and the big backs will be back cracking these smaller faster defenders.. everything swings back and forth... look at the 3-4 .. now half the league is doing it. so now the offense coordinators (minus BA) will be attacking this 3-4 scheme and finding more holes. then the 3-4 wont be as great.... the next great DC will have a new and better defensive scheme. 3-4 modified or say a 2-5 :lol:

K Train
04-05-2010, 11:27 AM
i have been watching these guys since the late 60's so i have a tendency to lean toward the fb stuff.

but remember this, once most teams in the league are geared up for stopping and catching all these high flyer receivers, the pendulum will swing back and the big backs will be back cracking these smaller faster defenders.. everything swings back and forth... look at the 3-4 .. now half the league is doing it. so now the offense coordinators (minus BA) will be attacking this 3-4 scheme and finding more holes. then the 3-4 wont be as great.... the next great DC will have a new and better defensive scheme. 3-4 modified or say a 2-5 :lol:

it has nothing to do with him being a big back....the best RBs are very powerful one....peterson throws defenders around like its nothing at all, MJD is tiny but hes raw power. im all for drafting dwyer or blount...they are hammers. i had a huge crush on michael bush a few years ago....idc that summers is a stocky little fatback, i like alot of them. my problem with summers is he really is ****ing terrible lol. im telling you watch nate ilaoa's highlight video, you see the exact same things from summers. he rumbled in college but he gets his **** pushed in in the pros

LatrobePA
04-05-2010, 11:27 AM
I think Frank the Turd Summers will peter out in TC and won't amount to anything! As much as I'd like to see a FB blasting holes open I don't think he'll be the one blasting, more like getting blasted...

But we shall see soon!!

Zachintosh66
04-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Kam is a LB not a quality S... IMHO of course. Of all the safetys on the board id be more pissed with us drafting Kam (even more so than Mays). At least Mays has first round mesuarables (cant spell). But I dont want either... :evilshake:

coldrolled
04-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I think Frank the Turd Summers will peter out in TC and won't amount to anything! As much as I'd like to see a FB blasting holes open I don't think he'll be the one blasting, more like getting blasted...

But we shall see soon!!

hes a rookie, ill root for him until they can him...

guys like spaeth, davis, carter, maybe sweed (gets one more crack at it) you have to let them go and fill in the holes with upside rookies or FA's...

summers, lewis, urbik, burnett, hills, redman, dixon they still get their shots. i will back them up, until they had a good fair shot at it and fail. kinda like Gay he had a good fair crack at it. and he was still playing without a troy behind him.....

Thomas_43
04-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Gay wouldn't have started for my f'n high school team. The guy is a laughing stock. He = Hood's lil brother. There is a reason noone took his 5th round tender. Cause he sucks. My blood pressure goes up just thinking about that Joker. My neighbors prolly thought I hated homo-sexual's, because every sunday it was like clockwork, "F^%$^& Gay is horrible."

Sorry about that :P

JensK
04-05-2010, 07:35 PM
hes a rookie, ill root for him until they can him...

guys like spaeth, davis, carter, maybe sweed (gets one more crack at it) you have to let them go and fill in the holes with upside rookies or FA's...

summers, lewis, urbik, burnett, hills, redman, dixon they still get their shots. i will back them up, until they had a good fair shot at it and fail. kinda like Gay he had a good fair crack at it. and he was still playing without a troy behind him.....

dixon had a fair shut and did well. Thats why he will be 2 qb this year.

I had high hopes for lewis, but he could not even make st, partly due to injuries, but still..

urbik is way way way to big and slow for our zoneblock scheme... He got beat by a undraftet rookie... You shouldnt even get a chance if you suck that bad at practice.

Burnett showed pretty good placement and instinct the few times he were there, but i dont see him as anytthing but a nb

had high hopes for hills, but he got beat by stapleton.... Thats how bad he was.

Redman... There is a reason he cleared viewers like 3 times

Summers got a chance and blew it. He was in on some plays where he should block and he failed badly. You dont get a lot of chances as a 5th rounder. He is not going to get carries, he was draftet to block and he cant do that, periodl

coldrolled
04-05-2010, 09:20 PM

I had high hopes for lewis, but he could not even make st, partly due to injuries, but still..

urbik is way way way to big and slow for our zoneblock scheme... He got beat by a undraftet rookie... You shouldnt even get a chance if you suck that bad at practice.

Burnett showed pretty good placement and instinct the few times he were there, but i dont see him as anytthing but a nb

had high hopes for hills, but he got beat by stapleton.... Thats how bad he was.

Summers got a chance and blew it. He was in on some plays where he should block and he failed badly. You dont get a lot of chances as a 5th rounder. He is not going to get carries, he was draftet to block and he cant do that, periodl

i guess that blows the theory that experience makes you better.

mine as well can em all, and sign up some new guys...

--- Added 4/5/2010 at 08:20 PM ---

forgot, kolb just got the starting job because he played two games.... and they felt they could dump mcnabb.. ?? or maybe because they have a m. vick behind him they have that confidence....

JensK
04-05-2010, 09:55 PM
i guess that blows the theory that experience makes you better.

mine as well can em all, and sign up some new guys...

--- Added 4/5/2010 at 08:20 PM ---

forgot, kolb just got the starting job because he played two games.... and they felt they could dump mcnabb.. ?? or maybe because they have a m. vick behind him they have that confidence....

kolb did play two good games, but he got the job because he showed well in practise, enough to win the starting job. Besides, they are making a generation shift in philley right now.

Experience obviously makes you better, but the talent has to be there, and for must of the players mentioned, it isnt. As i said, if summers or redman was secondrounders they would get longer time to develop, but as 5th and undraftet RB you deliver when asked to, or you fail. Rbs are easy to get in the draft, or even undraftet, so if you dont deliver or are a high draftpick.

K Train
04-05-2010, 09:57 PM
kolb isnt that good, mcnabb is hands down the better QB but kolb might fir the offense better

JensK
04-05-2010, 10:05 PM
kolb isnt that good, mcnabb is hands down the better QB but kolb might fir the offense better

also. Mcnabb is 33, kolb is what? 26 or something. The avg. Age on the skill positions is under 26 now, so im pretty sure they felt that it was time to get younger at qb as well.

DanRooney
04-05-2010, 10:44 PM

Once again with the "Dixon played well" myth. Look at the stats.

Lewis still can get his shot. Timmons was injury plagued with that phantom hammy his whole rookie season. I like his size but I don't really know anything else about him. And yeah Burnett is too small to be anything other than a nickel. I hope he gets Gay off the ****ing roster permanently.

Redman was cleared for waivers because there was no need for him on the roster, not for poor play. When were they going to play him? Crybaby Willie was spelling Mendenhall.

Rest is right though. Urbik looked terrible, Summers is dreadful and Hills will be off the team probably by time the season starts.

K Train
04-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Once again with the "Dixon played well" myth. Look at the stats.

Lewis still can get his shot. Timmons was injury plagued with that phantom hammy his whole rookie season. I like his size but I don't really know anything else about him. And yeah Burnett is too small to be anything other than a nickel. I hope he gets Gay off the ****ing roster permanently.

Redman was cleared for waivers because there was no need for him on the roster, not for poor play. When were they going to play him? Crybaby Willie was spelling Mendenhall.

Rest is right though. Urbik looked terrible, Summers is dreadful and Hills will be off the team probably by time the season starts.

lewis is big and physical, but also slow and needs to be a FS imo, and im not even sure he'll be a good one. i still remain hopeful the steelers draft thomas, and clark becomes nothing more than a tyrone carter replacement in a year.

burnett is delicious with his footwork and ability to play the ball...hes just so tiny. i really like him as a NB.

redman and summers...lol