PDA

View Full Version : A closer look at Steelers visitors

JensK
04-04-2010, 12:05 PM
A closer look at Steelers' visitors
April 1st, 2010 The Steelers are almost halfway to the 30 visits by out of area prospects allowed by the NFL in advance of the draft after hosting South Carolina linebacker Eric Norwood and Wake Forest defensive back Brandon Ghee Thursday.

The visits are just part of the evaluation process and not too much should be read into them. Last year, for example, the Steelers drafted just two players they hosted before the draft: cornerback Joe Burnett and running back Frank Summers, both in the fifth round.

The Steelers didnít bring defensive end Ziggy Hood to Pittsburgh prior to the 2009 draft because they were already sold on the player that became their first-round pick.

Thus, the fact that the Steelers have hosted cornerbacks Kyle Wilson of Boise State and Kareem Jackson of Alabama does not necessarily mean they are looking at those players more than others in regard to their first-round pick (No. 18 overall).

With the Steelers done with visits until early next week, here is the list of the players they met with this week. Keep in mind, too, that the team plans to bring in Oregon running back LaGerrette Blount for a visit before the draft.

Player/Position Ht/Wt College Skinny

Navorro Bowman, LB 6-0, 242 Penn State Could be an option for Steelers in the second round

Mike Neal, DT 6-3, 294 Purdue Projects as a defensive end in a 3-4 defense

Chris DeGeare, G 6-4, 325 Wake Forest Has the physical tools to play at next level but may need time to develop

Darrell Stuckey, S 5-11. 205 Kansas Productive in college but speed may be an issue

Rodger Saffold, OT 6-4, 316 Projected high-round pick could play tackle or guard in the NFL

Jacques McClendon, G 6-3 324 Steelers get closer look at player that did not get invite to the NFL Combine

Kyle Wilson, CB 5-10, 194 Boise State Wonít get to the Steelers in the second round if they really like him

Kareem Jackson, CB 5-10, 196 Alabama Another likely first-round pick, Jackson excels in coverage

Nolan Carroll, CB 5-11, 204 Maryland Good size and speed but missed most of his senior season because of a broken leg

Joe Webb, WR 6-3, 223 Alabama-Birmingham A quarterback in college, his size and speed make him an intriguing prospect

Albert McClellan, LB 6-1, 247 Marshall Defensive end in college projects as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense

Eric Norwood, LB 6-1, 245 South Carolina Gamecocksí all-time sacks leader (29) could go as early as the second round

Brandon Ghee, CB 6-0, 192 Wake Forest Turned in fastest 40-yard dash time (4.45 seconds) among cornerbacks at NFL Combine

K Train
04-05-2010, 10:35 AM
i fear that jackson might be the pick at 18....that would suck

andyg1984
04-05-2010, 01:20 PM
i like wilson, but i can't really say i am too excited about many of the other names on that list ..

scudmissile29
04-05-2010, 02:00 PM
KAREEM JACKSON SUCKS.

He doesnt deserve to wear black and gold for the next several years.

He doesnt even deserve to walk around our facility.

K Train
04-05-2010, 02:26 PM
kareem jackson does not suck, hes just not #18 material...hes 28-32 or early second

Big T
04-05-2010, 02:42 PM
KAREEM JACKSON SUCKS.

He doesnt deserve to wear black and gold for the next several years.

He doesnt even deserve to walk around our facility.

Maybe it's just me but it seems like everyone but Earl Thomas and Kyle Wilson suck and are faggots, thugs, or do not deserve to be steelers...

scudmissile29
04-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Maybe it's just me but it seems like everyone but Earl Thomas and Kyle Wilson suck and are faggots, thugs, or do not deserve to be steelers...

you can add chris cook to that list, patrick robinson, barry church, torell troup...

its just a coincidence that most are faggots that are listed with visitng the steelers.

especially pouncey and iupati. there the biggest fags of the draft.

coldrolled
04-05-2010, 03:12 PM

The first round will be BPA.... minus WR, QB, Tomlin says no S either.

The second pick will be BPA.... minus WR, QB, S and the #1 round pick position.

This visitors list should be full of 3rd, 4th and 5th rounders. since we have 5 picks then right??

Steeldawg has Earl Thomas as a CB for us. So he fits in the #1 pick still as BPA..

scudmissile29
04-05-2010, 03:37 PM
The first round will be BPA.... minus WR, QB, Tomlin says no S either.

The second pick will be BPA.... minus WR, QB, S and the #1 round pick position.

This visitors list should be full of 3rd, 4th and 5th rounders. since we have 5 picks then right??

Steeldawg has Earl Thomas as a CB for us. So he fits in the #1 pick still as BPA..

where id mike cant draft tomlin say he wont draft a safety.?

coldrolled
04-05-2010, 03:50 PM

what?

--- Added 4/5/2010 at 02:50 PM ---

hmm..

this was in the gazette....

Forget the safety from Southern California, Taylor Mays. Mike Tomlin does not like him, not high in the draft anyway. He put up good numbers at the combine, but not good performances during last season. Remember what Deion Sanders said about Mays? He's right on as far as the Steelers are concerned. Here is a safety Tomlin does like: Kam Chancellor of Virginia Tech, a big man at 6-3, 231. He's not a first-rounder, but then the Steelers no longer have an interest in drafting a safety on the first round.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10094/1047802-66.stm#ixzz0kG080rPx

K Train
04-05-2010, 04:47 PM
steelers said no to mays, not thomas....they are interested in thomas, he just wont be there

K Train
04-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Steelers top two targets are Haden and Iupati with Pouncey and Thomas as the two plan B guys

from insidepittsurghsports or some ****.

thomas should not be plan B in any scenario, i love pouncey and haden but that certainly means they will draft iupati

scudmissile29
04-05-2010, 05:44 PM
haden is overrated. i cant wait until he fails as an nfl corner, even if he is a steeler.

watch him get burned on a will be famous afc championship play that will prevent us from a super bowl berth.

the only reason he is so good because of his supporting cast at florida.

JensK
04-05-2010, 05:55 PM
hadeb is not going to fail. If he gets to a scheme where they run man-man, he will own... He would not be as good in a zone-coverage scheme like ours

Big T
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
from insidepittsurghsports or some ****.

thomas should not be plan B in any scenario, i love pouncey and haden but that certainly means they will draft iupati

I will cry...

scudmissile29
04-05-2010, 06:59 PM
I will cry...

I would slowly slit my wrists whilst hanging myself.

--- Added 4/5/2010 at 05:59 PM ---

hadeb is not going to fail. If he gets to a scheme where they run man-man, he will own... He would not be as good in a zone-coverage scheme like ours

He won't own when teams exploit his weakness by going deep. Bye bye off to house.

JensK
04-05-2010, 07:25 PM
I would slowly slit my wrists whilst hanging myself.

--- Added 4/5/2010 at 05:59 PM ---

He won't own when teams exploit his weakness by going deep. Bye bye off to house.

eh.. Haden showed good speed at his proday, and he had pretty damn good backpedaling speed there as well.

I would not cry if we took pouncey or haden over thomas (altho i would not be happy either) but i will get pissed if we take iupati over any of those players... It would not be in the taylor mays league pissed, but pretty pissed.

scudmissile29
04-05-2010, 08:14 PM
eh.. Haden showed good speed at his proday, and he had pretty damn good backpedaling speed there as well.

I would not cry if we took pouncey or haden over thomas (altho i would not be happy either) but i will get pissed if we take iupati over any of those players... It would not be in the taylor mays league pissed, but pretty pissed.

they always put there 40 speeds faster at the pro day.... it reps the uni's if there guys goes further into a round 1 or higher draft pick...

no thanks its there on tape being burned by notre dame and cincinnati but luckily he was overthrown or the ball went out of bounds lol watch on youtube no thanks

JensK
04-05-2010, 08:39 PM
they always put there 40 speeds faster at the pro day.... it reps the uni's if there guys goes further into a round 1 or higher draft pick...

no thanks its there on tape being burned by notre dame and cincinnati but luckily he was overthrown or the ball went out of bounds lol watch on youtube no thanks

even revis get burned from time to time. In fact, i have seen a few people comparing those two, altho i dont agree entirely with that, i really think that he is going to be a good pro. He will probably go earlier than he should becuase of a weak cb class, but at 18 he will have serious value imo.

Big T
04-05-2010, 08:43 PM
40 times don't mean ****...Haden plays fast and his strength is in man-coverage...he will be a very good pro....He may never be a shutdown #1 but I think he can be a great #2...

scudmissile29
04-05-2010, 08:51 PM
even revis get burned from time to time. In fact, i have seen a few people comparing those two, altho i dont agree entirely with that, i really think that he is going to be a good pro. He will probably go earlier than he should becuase of a weak cb class, but at 18 he will have serious value imo.

what. revis is alot faster.

revis hasnt been burned this year apart from that dolphin game but that was a muck up again of a safety that cant cover kerry rhodes.

K Train
04-05-2010, 09:35 PM
haden is a good CB, not an elite prospect but it would be dumb to pass on him at 18

coldrolled
04-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Iowa offensive tackle visits Steelers today
Tuesday, April 06, 2010
Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Iowa offensive tackle Bryan Bulaga, a likely first-round pick in the April 22-24 NFL draft, is visiting the Steelers today.

Bulaga is 6 feet 5, 314 pounds, and played left tackle for the Hawkeyes.

He is the 14th player to visit with the team's coaches and scouts, who are permitted by league rules to meet with as many as 30 players by April 14.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10096/1048277-100.stm#ixzz0kKqcrlfm

K Train
04-06-2010, 11:46 AM
if only....if only

scudmissile29
04-06-2010, 11:59 AM
haden is a good CB, not an elite prospect but it would be dumb to pass on him at 18

if he is not elite why take him, waste of a pick when there is an elite cornerback kyle wilson most likely available?

K Train
04-06-2010, 12:04 PM
by elite i mean the likes of newman, bailey, pacman, hall, mckelvin, patrick peterson next year...guys who were elite prospects. haden could end up being an incredible player but hes not the prospect these guys were who all went top 6ish

at 18 he has incredible value

asomugha and revis werent elite prospect but they are elite players

coldrolled
04-07-2010, 10:55 AM
5 more

The five players include two big-name wide receivers, Notre Dame's Golden Tate and Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant. Also at their facility today is Oregon running back LaGarrette Blount. Blount was suspended by his team for much of last season for punching an opponent and Bryant was suspended by the NCAA for having a relationship with an agent and he played in only three games.

The two other visitors are linebackers, Koa Misi of Utah and Adrian Tracy of William & Mary.

scudmissile29
04-07-2010, 01:03 PM
by elite i mean the likes of newman, bailey, pacman, hall, mckelvin, patrick peterson next year...guys who were elite prospects. haden could end up being an incredible player but hes not the prospect these guys were who all went top 6ish

at 18 he has incredible value

asomugha and revis werent elite prospect but they are elite players

thats true

coldrolled
04-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Golden Tate and Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant coming to pittsburgh

maybe were trading Holmes for a great draft pick??

maybe we will swap holmes for brandon marshall??

Big T
04-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Golden Tate and Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant coming to pittsburgh

maybe were trading Holmes for a great draft pick??

maybe we will swap holmes for brandon marshall??

Stop it...these are just visits...don't make them out to be more than they are...Santonio isn't going anywhere...

coldrolled
04-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Stop it...these are just visits...don't make them out to be more than they are...Santonio isn't going anywhere...

just messin with the holmes trading bandwagon.

coldrolled
04-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Idaho guard Mike Iupati heads a list of six college draft prospects s who will visit the Steelers today.

Iupati, who is 6 feet 5 and 331 pounds, has been selected as the Steelers first-round draft pick in many mock drafts. The other five players visiting today are Maurkice Pouncey of Florida, rated the best center in the draft, defensive linemen Clifton Geathers of South Carolina and Linval Joseph of East Carolina, South Florida wide receiver Carlton Mitchel and Arizona tight end Rob Gronkowski.

The Steelers have entertained 25 prospects over the past two weeks and can have as many as five more by Wednesday.

scudmissile29
04-08-2010, 09:59 AM
why did dez bryant come.

that is a waste of a visit imo. should of used on a different person.

andyg1984
04-08-2010, 10:08 AM
why did dez bryant come.

that is a waste of a visit imo. should of used on a different person.

How so?

scudmissile29
04-08-2010, 02:05 PM
How so?

come on i dont think were going to pick him with people like brandon graham and others left on the board.

it would be a brain scratcher of a decision to pick him

andyg1984
04-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I like Graham, but he does not have the upside that Bryant does and is not an easy forecast no matter how crowded the bandwagon is ... I like Demaryius Thomas more from a value perspective, but you might as well have the guy visit to see for yourself imo