PDA

View Full Version : Parker is a Redskin

Zachintosh66
04-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Redskins pick up Willie Parker

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 2, 2010 3:14 PM ET
The Washington Redskins are about to add another running back to their already crowded backfield.

Adam Schefter of ESPN is reporting that the Redskins reached an agreement with free agent running back Willie Parker. According to Schefter, it's a one-year contract with a maximum value of $3.1 million.

The Redskins already had Clinton Portis, and in March they added Larry Johnson. Now they have three running backs who have been among the best in the league in the past, but who appear to have lost a step.

Although Redskins coach Mike Shanahan has suggested that he expects Portis to keep the starting job, Schefter reports that Parker has been told there will be an open competition for the starting job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/02/redskins-pick-up-willie-parker/

steelersbabex25
04-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Good for him. If he's not gonna be a Steeler, I'm happy he's atleast getting an opportunity to make it somewhere else...even if it is as a Deadskin.

K Train
hes made for a mike shanahan offense

TampaSteelGirl
I have mixed emotions....I like Willie and I think if our Oline was a little better getting him a hole he would have been good but we cant' have a small back trying to push into big guys and losing yards....Hope he does well.

Troyisabeast_43
04-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Goodluck to you Willie thank you for the 5 plus years you gave to Steelers Nation, and the 2 Super Bowl Championships you helped the Steelers win.

LatrobePA
04-02-2010, 04:46 PM
So instead of a back up he'll be a 3rd stringer, I always knew this boy wasn't too smart!

Later dude, there is NO chance in hell he beats either one of those two out for the starting job!!

DanRooney
04-02-2010, 04:56 PM
No chance he beats Clinton Portis or Larry Johnson? I dunno about that. They're all washed up RBs with no upside.

K Train
04-02-2010, 05:00 PM
willie is a good 1st and 2nd down runner and you have no idea how good he will be in shanahans system, hes manufactured for it. one cut, get 4 yards with the line and your on your own. his lack of vision wont matter. back when tatum bell and mike anderson both had 1000 yards if willie was on that team he would have gone over 2000 on his own imo

portis is a phenomenal blocker, receiver and TD scorer with exceptional vision

LJ might not make the team imo, but he COULD be a nice closer

Thomas_43
04-02-2010, 05:27 PM
K-Train is once again correct, Parker will flourish with Shanahan. Good Luck to him, He's never done anything wrong to us. The man wants to play, he won't get that here. Good Luck to him.

DanRooney
04-02-2010, 05:28 PM
willie is a good 1st and 2nd down runner and you have no idea how good he will be in shanahans system, hes manufactured for it. one cut, get 4 yards with the line and your on your own. his lack of vision wont matter. back when tatum bell and mike anderson both had 1000 yards if willie was on that team he would have gone over 2000 on his own imo

portis is a phenomenal blocker, receiver and TD scorer with exceptional vision

LJ might not make the team imo, but he COULD be a nice closer

Shannahan will no doubt improve their offense which has been god awful for the past decade, but I believe Portis, Parker and Johnson are just stop gaps until he can get his own personnel through the draft. Their offensive line is currently worse than the Steelers was in 2008 and we are all well-aware that Parker can't break any tackles. He no longer has the top end speed even if he finds a hole (which he won't). This is coming from a guy that has to pay attention to the Skins since I live in this hellhole.

K Train
04-02-2010, 05:32 PM
i know none of these guys are long term answers but i think it could be good for one year...especially if they draft okung or bulaga. i think they go clausen, which will also improve their offense alot, especially with devin thomas, malcolm kelly, fred davis and chris cooley being a very young group

coldrolled
04-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Redzone Redman !!!!!

LatrobePA
04-02-2010, 09:33 PM
K-Train is once again correct, Parker will flourish with Shanahan. Good Luck to him, He's never done anything wrong to us. The man wants to play, he won't get that here. Good Luck to him.

I certainly don't disagree, but Parker must stay healthy to have a shot at starting...The last few years he's been bum!

Big T
04-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Redzone Redman !!!!!

Stop it. Please no more. Please dont start this **** all over again...

BlacknGold Bleeder
04-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Good Luck to you!! He had to have known this was coming when they drafted Mendy.

TEEMONT
04-03-2010, 12:48 AM
looks like I own more Steelers collectibles....

lloydfan4life
04-03-2010, 08:43 AM

maybe you can get that new Twilight sig now to replace the one you're using. :dunno:
( :lol: just razzin' ya, T :greengrin: )

Thanks for all your contributions to the Steelers Willie! Good luck in Washington.

75Steeler
04-03-2010, 11:28 AM
See ya FWP....thanks for the memories. Be sure to thank the Rooneys for your NFL career on your way out.

BlackGold4vr
04-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Well, now the Steelers won't have to throw him a charity contract. I really believe another RB is coming in the draft (probably 3rd or 4th round) anyways. I just hope its not Spiller. That would mean no significant changes to a very poor O-line and crappy blocking for all.

:lol:

SteelCityKid5
04-03-2010, 12:10 PM
He had a good career here. Both sides moved on. Good luck Willie in Washington where all FA's pan out. This move cements the Steelers getting a quality RB in the draft.

PsychoWard
04-04-2010, 09:15 AM

That makes two of us!!

But I think Willie still has more gas in his tank as least if he stays healthy!! Good luck, and with those three i still think the battle will be between Willie and Portis, and Johnson will be the goal-line back!

Zachintosh66
04-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Portis will start... get hurt. In comes Parker... gets hurt. In comes Johnson... yep still an A$$hole :)

TEEMONT
04-06-2010, 08:09 PM
That makes two of us!!

But I think Willie still has more gas in his tank as least if he stays healthy!! Good luck, and with those three i still think the battle will be between Willie and Portis, and Johnson will be the goal-line back!

The question is, can I still wear my FWP jerseys?

Or do I have to buy a new one or two?

Blitzburghpete
04-09-2010, 01:47 PM
As much as i appreciated the effort Parker has put in over the years, he's never been suited to the Steeler ethos of Offence. Mendenhall fits the bill perfectly. I'm pleased we haven't got the distraction in the backfield and that Mendenhall can focus on our type of physical offencive game

Too long the offence has been carried on Ben's shoulders because Parker can't grind out the 3/4 yards consistantly. A Backfield with a power runner will take the weight off Ben. Good move imo.

All the best Willie, thanks for the memories, especially the 75 yards one :) Never got bored of watching that run.