PDA

View Full Version : Steelers are no better than the Bengals

75Steeler
03-30-2010, 10:57 AM
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A week ago, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin talked of the franchise's standards of conduct being "above and beyond those of our peers" in the NFL. It seemed like a bunch of baloney, the height of arrogance from a man who is running what appears to be an out-of-control team if you believe the newspaper headlines.

Somehow, it seems even worse this morning.

Above and beyond?

These days, the Steelers are no different than the Cincinnati Bengals were a few years ago when they were a national joke because their players couldn't stay out of trouble.

Above and beyond?

Star quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is facing sexual assault allegations in two states. Things are such a mess with the second case involving a 20-year-old college student in Georgia that the Steelers, at least for the moment, don't want Roethlisberger around their South Side practice facility to work out with his teammates because he would cause a distraction.

Above and beyond?

In February, the Steelers put their franchise tag on kicker Jeff Reed, assuring that he will make $2,814,000 next season. They did so after he had been involved in two incidents involving the police in the previous 13 months. In April 2009, the team gave linebacker James Harrison a six-year, $51,175,000 contract. They did so after he had been involved in a domestic violence case 13 months earlier in which the charges were dropped after he underwent anger-management counseling.

Above and beyond?

Please.

What's next?

Based on recent precedent, it will be a big new contract for wide receiver Santonio Holmes.

How sad is that?

It's nice to think it won't come to that.

Holmes, who is entering the final year of his current contract and could become a free agent after the '10 season, has some resume. He was the Most Valuable Player in the Steelers' win against the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII after the '08 season. He is their best receiver now that Hines Ward is approaching the end of his Hall of Fame-caliber career.

But the Steelers are going to have to swallow awfully hard to do a new multimillion-dollar deal with Holmes. News broke Monday that he has been named in a civil lawsuit because of an alleged incident involving a woman March 7 at an Orlando, Fla., club. According to the suit filed by Anshonae Mills, Holmes threw a glass in her face, cutting her above the eye and temporarily blinding her because of the alcohol in the glass. She said she didn't file a criminal complaint because she was pressured by the Orlando police not to press charges. Holmes has denied any wrongdoing.

This is the fourth incident involving Holmes since the Steelers made him their No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft. Charges of disorderly conduct and domestic violence in separate cases not long after the draft were dropped. A misdemeanor marijuana charge in October 2008 was avoided when Holmes' attorney successfully argued that a police traffic stop violated his rights.

This is a guy you want to see the Steelers re-sign?

I'm guessing it's not going to happen. I have to think the Steelers are more than ready to make a statement to their players that they are tired of all this nonsense. It's easy to do with Holmes by not giving him that new contract. That's not being "above and beyond." That's just running out of patience with players who repeatedly embarrass and bring shame to the organization.

Roethlisberger, for instance.

Maybe especially Roethlisberger.

How furious the Rooneys and Tomlin must be with Roethlisberger, to the degree that there has to be at least some sentiment inside the organization to get rid of him. How furious NFL commissioner Roger Goodell must be because of the way Roethlisberger has tarnished the league's brand on not one, but two occasions. "We are concerned that Ben continues to put himself in this position," Goodell said last week.

At this point, it must be noted, Roethlisberger is guilty of nothing more than bad judgment, of hanging out with the wrong people in the wrong places at the wrong times. Don't blame the Steelers for being overly tolerant in his case. There's not another team in the NFL that would cut him just because of poor judgment. Franchise quarterbacks are too hard to find, especially one who has won two Super Bowls.

But what if Roethlisberger is charged in the Georgia case? Surely, Goodell would suspend him for violating the NFL's personal conduct code.

And what if Roethlisberger is found guilty of the charges? Then, the Steelers would have a big decision to make. Then, we would find out just how "above and beyond" they are as a franchise.

Read more: http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/10089/1046621-66.stm?cmpid=bcpanel0#ixzz0jfTrpnOa

--- Added 3/30/2010 at 08:57 AM ---

I hate to say it but I have to agree with Mr. Cook on some points in this article. Someone has to get this under control.

SteelCityKid5
03-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Ron Cook is an angry man.

cmerrifield
03-30-2010, 11:35 AM
I am an angry man, I follow Holmes on Twitter and he told somebody to "kill urself." I no longer want Holmes on my team. Holmes has done nothing but whine that his life is our entertainment and mind our own business. But guess what, he gets paid a million dollars a year to be a celebrity. I know he plays football, but that makes him a celebrity in our culture. So that means your life is in the limelight, good or bad. He loved the attention after being Superbowl MVP, now that its bad, he is like "leave me alone." Guess what buddy, this is life in the NFL. I would be very happy to see Wallace our #2 reciever and us trade Holmes. At the very minimum its time to part ways with him and make this his last year as a Steeler, or give him a one strike policy on his new contract, and the same for Roethlisberger, one more strike Ben, and you are gone. I would stand behind the team rebuilding the team if the got rid of Ben too, I am tired of this crap.

ejsteeler
03-30-2010, 11:37 AM
I find it hard to disagree with anything he said....as much as it hurts to hear it.

TampaSteelGirl
03-30-2010, 11:45 AM
They are all out of control!! Seems all this money and fame makes them invincible! They better remember all of this can be gone as fast as it came to them!!!

I"m very angry at the selfishness they are showing...disrespect for the Rooneys, the organization, the fans and their families! Unacceptable....I understand this coudl happen to anyone at anytime but when you are paying these athletes MILLIONS of dollars they need to respect this league. I"d rather have a crappy season this year and let these boys learn a hard lesson. I"m embarrassed that this is happening our team and it MUST end!

ejsteeler
03-30-2010, 11:53 AM
They are all out of control!! Seems all this money and fame makes them invincible! They better remember all of this can be gone as fast as it came to them!!!

I"m very angry at the selfishness they are showing...disrespect for the Rooneys, the organization, the fans and their families! Unacceptable....I understand this coudl happen to anyone at anytime but when you are paying these athletes MILLIONS of dollars they need to respect this league. I"d rather have a crappy season this year and let these boys learn a hard lesson. I"m embarrassed that this is happening our team and it MUST end!

:ditto:

LarryNJ
03-30-2010, 11:59 AM
:popcorn:

Ron Cook is an angry man.

:plus1:

He must have pictures of someone to have lasted this long at the PG.

lloydfan4life
03-30-2010, 01:04 PM
I am an angry man, I follow Holmes on Twitter and he told somebody to "kill urself." I no longer want Holmes on my team. Holmes has done nothing but whine that his life is our entertainment and mind our own business. But guess what, he gets paid a million dollars a year to be a celebrity. I know he plays football, but that makes him a celebrity in our culture. So that means your life is in the limelight, good or bad. He loved the attention after being Superbowl MVP, now that its bad, he is like "leave me alone." Guess what buddy, this is life in the NFL. I would be very happy to see Wallace our #2 reciever and us trade Holmes. At the very minimum its time to part ways with him and make this his last year as a Steeler, or give him a one strike policy on his new contract, and the same for Roethlisberger, one more strike Ben, and you are gone. I would stand behind the team rebuilding the team if the got rid of Ben too, I am tired of this crap.

Good post... Very good post! :clap: :clap:

igor0190
03-30-2010, 01:14 PM
I think the organization is going to have to implement their own suspensions on Holmes, Rothlisberger, and anyone else who draws negative attention. I see this happening at some point, and I see Steeler Nation supporting it no matter who the players are that get suspended.

K Train
03-30-2010, 01:20 PM
not a good comparison....ben likes to get his dick wet and has money hungry sluts throw themselves at him, holmes isnt in serious legal trouble and our biggest problem imo is jeff reed getting drunk and beating up paper towel dispensers

steelersbabex25
03-30-2010, 02:01 PM
While I agree with everyone saying that these players are letting fame and fortune go to their heads, I wouldn't go so far as to say that I don't want Holmes on the Steelers anymore. He's pretty damn close to being our best reciever, and it would be shame if they let him go next season just because of something like this.

JensK
03-30-2010, 02:02 PM
This is really blown out of proportions imo. Ben is so far not guilty in anything but poor judgement, which sucks but he really did not do anything wrong untill proven otherwise. Same with Holmes.Try to put yourself into his situation for a second. How would you feel if you ot suied by some chick who claimed you did something the police didnt even file a rapport against? I for one would be pretty damn pissed as well. Sure, what they are doing as far as puplicity, they are not really doing good things for Steelers image, but seriously, its been a while since steelers was that classy franchise everybody wanted to be. Obviously, Steelers is still good at doing business, and they handle most things to perfection, but we have had our share of players who havnt done everything by the book, and thats going to continue. As long as neither ben or holmes is charged, its really hard to get angry at them, because its not really their fault that there are some crazy people out there who'll do everything for money... I mean, you cant just isolate yourself for 10-15 years when you are an NFL player and not be allowed to have fun, because of the fear that someone eyes an opportunity to sue you.

/rant off... that felt good, thank you.

cmerrifield
03-30-2010, 02:54 PM
But Ben has been guilty of bad judgment with his motorcycle and then last year in Vegas, although I doubt any of that was Ben's fault. In fact, the contract has a "dangerous acts" clause in it. I would think about enacting that if I were the Rooney's. And now Holmes, who missed the Giants game because of Pot and now this. I do not expect them to isolate themselves, but I also do not think they need to be putting themselves in these situations. My biggest complaint with Holmes is all this crap he is saying on twitter like "kill urself" or "the fans dont cut his paycheck" or "find something else to gossip about" and with Ben its he gives us drama EVERY offseason. I am sick of it. They do not learn anything from their mistakes and keep acting stupid in public, Reed included. I was mad when the franchised him. I think they should have let him go. I want a team that if I google the team name, the first 100 articles arent the players run-ins with the law. If I wanted my team to be a bunch of thugs, I would be a Bengals fan, I was so happy when the Steelers hired Tomlin because his mentor is Dungy and Tomlin is big on high character guys.

SteelCityKid5
03-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Correction: Ron Cook and cmerrifield (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/member.php?u=3015) are angry men.

Also, I never liked Holmes. Super Bowl MVP or not, I always thought he was a diva. I don't know if they do re-sign him. They most likely will but I mean pot possession and now this... I'm pretty sure this doesn't sit well with the Rooney's. Would anyone be against Holmes not coming back?

cmerrifield
03-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Correction: Ron Cook and cmerrifield (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/member.php?u=3015) are angry men.

In fairness, I started my first post in here with that. I warned you all.:lol:

Big T
03-30-2010, 03:04 PM
um....Neither Ben nor Santonio have been arested or charged with anything....Im not saying these accusations didnt happen but as of right now all they are are he said/she said....Everyone on the planet knows the first accusation against Ben was bullshit and everyday this second one gets a sketchier and sketchier....This Santonio case is also just an accusation and its beginning to look a little sketchy as well...and the fact that theres only been a civil suit filed says she's just interested in money as well as one of her dating profiles "i love money"....im not saying she's just a money hungry hoe just yet but lets see if either get charged before we start doing stupid comparisons...

--- Added 3/30/2010 at 01:04 PM ---

Also, I never liked Holmes. Super Bowl MVP or not, I always thought he was a diva. I don't know if they do re-sign him. They most likely will but I mean pot possession and now this... I'm pretty sure this doesn't sit well with the Rooney's. Would anyone be against Holmes not coming back?

He is a young, extremely talented WR who is getting better and better every year...he has developed nicely into our #1 and is a threat to take it to the house whenever he gets his hands on the ball...so yes, i would be against not resigning him....a little pot and a sketchy accusation are not enough for me to want him gone....

steelersbabex25
03-30-2010, 03:29 PM

Uhh..incase you didn't read my earlier post..I would be pretty opposed to him not coming back.

ejsteeler
03-30-2010, 03:33 PM
I think we're all saying the same thing when it comes down to it. If guilty, they should be gone no matter who they are. If not, learn the lesson you should from it or face the possibility of being gone anyway. I don't think too many true fans would have a problem with that. :imho:

steelersbabex25
03-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Big T... the twitter thing doesnt mean anything to you?

Not trying to speak for him, but in my opinion, NO. Like he said, words are words. We'll talk if Holmes actually kills someone, until then, who cares?

SteelCityKid5
03-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Because telling someone on Twitter, which everyone in America can read, to go kill themselves isn't demeaning in any way? You don't do that in today's society. Kids look up this this guy and he's telling someone to go kill themselves. You really don't see anything wrong with that?

cmerrifield
03-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Because telling someone on Twitter, which everyone in America can read, to go kill themselves isn't demeaning in any way? You don't do that in today's society. Kids look up this this guy and he's telling someone to go kill themselves. You really don't see anything wrong with that?

I agree and thats my issue with Holmes here, but I have a solution. The Rooney's build a bar with 53 private VIP rooms, one for each player. Holmes room would have plenty of couches, Reed's room would have no paper towel dispensers, Ben's room would have no women and so on. What do you think?

Steelerlyn
03-30-2010, 06:37 PM
When Cowher was coach, you didn't read about this type of thing happening every other week because this stuff didn't happen (other than the bettis thing).
Maybe the problem is Tomlin. Is he too much of a players' coach?

SnakeEyes43
03-30-2010, 06:42 PM
I agree and thats my issue with Holmes here, but I have a solution. The Rooney's build a bar with 53 private VIP rooms, one for each player. Holmes room would have plenty of couches, Reed's room would have no paper towel dispensers, Ben's room would have no women and so on. What do you think?

Haha, nice. Either that or Troy just needs to take the whole team back to Hawaii with him in the off-season. Let everyone relax and get away from everything, especially the crazy *** gold diggers. This whole LEAGUE could learn a few things from the way Troy conducts himself on and off the field.

SteelCityKid5
03-30-2010, 06:45 PM
Ben's would have no women? He wouldnt show then.

SteelerSteve
03-31-2010, 03:11 AM
Ben's would have no women? He wouldnt show then. Easy solution, have a bunch of those expensive life like blow up dolls in there...Then he could sexually assault his *** off and not get in trouble :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-31-2010, 09:19 AM
not a good comparison....ben likes to get his dick wet and has money hungry sluts throw themselves at him, holmes isnt in serious legal trouble and our biggest problem imo is jeff reed getting drunk and beating up paper towel dispensers

:iagree:

I really think Steeler fans have been so spoiled that when stuff like this does happen everybody wants to lynch the player and throw him off the team. It doesn't work like that; you invest countless millions into these players that have been integral parts of your success since they joined the team. Unless these guys get into a situation where they are facing serious jail time and are accused of a serious crime, you can't just toss them aside because they made some wrong choices.

You don't want your players making these kinds of decisions in their personal lives and putting themselves in situations where there can potentially be trouble. Guess what though people, it happens. As much as these guys are celebrities, high profile, rich beyond belief, NFL players, they are still people too and subject to the same problems that face normal people every day.

Does it excuse it, no of course not, but at the same time just because they make some bonehead moves, doesn't mean you make your entire franchise suffer.

There is not NOT one person that wants to go back to fan life without Ben as the QB, Holmes as a WR, Reed as the kicker (ok maybe not so much with Reed but). Like it or not, we live and die by Ben so as far as I'm concerened, what he did was dumb but keep it in perspective here alittle bit. Not one of you here on this board or any fan anywhere has any right to prosecute Ben because you don't know the whole story. You are basing your judgments on what the media wants you to know right now. The whole Vegas hotel room thing, if it was THAT big of a deal, more would have been done with it by now. This college chick thing, the story is so full of holes you cant say either way who is or isnt guilty of anything.

It's true the Steelers don't like this type of press, it reflects badly on them as far as they see it. They are right, you don't want your players getting into trouble off the field. Having said that though; they aren't just going to up and release players because of some dumb decisions at this point. Besides, it's not like they were on trial for Murder like Ray Lewis was,and look the Ratbirds welcomed him back with open arms and nobody talks about that any more.

Ben will grow up, Holmes will stop twittering stupid ****,and live will move on...

LatrobePA
03-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Steelers are no better than the Bengals

This is true, they made the post season while our team stayed home!

75Steeler
03-31-2010, 01:12 PM
"Besides, it's not like they were on trial for Murder like Ray Lewis was,and look the Ratbirds welcomed him back with open arms and nobody talks about that any more." - TG

Except us Steelers Fans! :haha:

steelersbabex25
03-31-2010, 01:20 PM

I really think Steeler fans have been so spoiled that when stuff like this does happen everybody wants to lynch the player and throw him off the team. It doesn't work like that; you invest countless millions into these players that have been integral parts of your success since they joined the team. Unless these guys get into a situation where they are facing serious jail time and are accused of a serious crime, you can't just toss them aside because they made some wrong choices.

You don't want your players making these kinds of decisions in their personal lives and putting themselves in situations where there can potentially be trouble. Guess what though people, it happens. As much as these guys are celebrities, high profile, rich beyond belief, NFL players, they are still people too and subject to the same problems that face normal people every day.

Does it excuse it, no of course not, but at the same time just because they make some bonehead moves, doesn't mean you make your entire franchise suffer.

There is not NOT one person that wants to go back to fan life with Ben as the QB, Holmes as a WR, Reed as the kicker (ok maybe not so much with Reed but). Like it or not, we live and die by Ben so as far as I'm concerened, what he did was dumb but keep it in perspective here alittle bit. Not one of you here on this board or any fan anywhere has any right to prosecute Ben because you don't know the whole story. You are basing your judgments on what the media wants you to know right now. The whole Vegas hotel room thing, if it was THAT big of a deal, more would have been done with it by now. This college chick thing, the story is so full of holes you cant say either way who is or isnt guilty of anything.

It's true the Steelers don't like this type of press, it reflects badly on them as far as they see it. They are right, you don't want your players getting into trouble off the field. Having said that though; they aren't just going to up and release players because of some dumb decisions at this point. Besides, it's not like they were on trial for Murder like Ray Lewis was,and look the Ratbirds welcomed him back with open arms and nobody talks about that any more.

Ben will grow up, Holmes will stop twittering stupid ****,and live will move on...

Thank. You. :yellowthumb:

MattyVfromCT
03-31-2010, 06:17 PM

There is not NOT one person that wants to go back to fan life without Ben as the QB, Holmes as a WR, Reed as the kicker (ok maybe not so much with Reed but). Like it or not, we live and die by Ben so as far as I'm concerened, what he did was dumb but keep it in perspective here alittle bit. Not one of you here on this board or any fan anywhere has any right to prosecute Ben because you don't know the whole story. You are basing your judgments on what the media wants you to know right now. The whole Vegas hotel room thing, if it was THAT big of a deal, more would have been done with it by now. This college chick thing, the story is so full of holes you cant say either way who is or isnt guilty of anything.

agreed on everything

LatrobePA
03-31-2010, 10:04 PM
Easy solution for Ben - Rub off, worse thing that could happen is you get a blister from one of your TWO rings!!

ejsteeler
04-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Easy solution for Ben - Rub off,.........

:lol: Heard it described in a way I never had before on Courgat Twon yesterday......"make shower babies"......:hilarious:

SteelerSteve
04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Easy solution for Ben - Rub off, worse thing that could happen is you get a blister from one of your TWO rings!!
lol gross

LatrobePA
04-01-2010, 03:07 PM
:lol: Heard it described in a way I never had before on Courgat Twon yesterday......"make shower babies"......:hilarious:

Now I know what to tell the wife I'm doing in the shower for so long...

You know in the Navy you aren't allowed to do this kinda thing, but you sure can wash it as fast as you can!!

K Train
04-01-2010, 03:17 PM

i hate when people are made out to be these big role models when they arent...they have a job, holmes is good at his job. He isnt a bad guy, the kid didnt off himself and he probably asked him if he wanted to buy some weed or something obnoxious....maybe that kid should go look up to tim tebow and get his act straightened out

steelersbabex25
04-01-2010, 03:19 PM
i hate when people are made out to be these big role models when they arent...they have a job, holmes is good at his job. He isnt a bad guy, the kid didnt off himself and he probably asked him if he wanted to buy some weed or something obnoxious....maybe that kid should go look up to tim tebow and get his act straightened out

:plus1:. Santonio Holmes is a football player, not a saint. Kids look up to him because they want to be a good football player like him, not because he's a model citizen.

ejsteeler
04-01-2010, 03:52 PM

:plus1:. Santonio Holmes is a football player, not a saint. Kids look up to him because they want to be a good football player like him, not because he's a model citizen.

No offense guys, but, spoken like two people who don't have to deal with/have a child. They are easily lead a stray. Good parenting can only do so much to help shield them from the influence of others including those dubbed role models. Right or wrong.

steelersbabex25
04-01-2010, 04:04 PM
No offense guys, but, spoken like two people who don't have to deal with/have a child. They are easily lead a stray. Good parenting can only do so much to help shield them from the influence of others including those dubbed role models. Right or wrong.

Fair enough, totally get where you're coming from. However I still don't think it's Holmes' job to be a model citizen for the sake of little kids who look up to him, and he's not going to either. Having money or being a celebrity doesn't change how you were brought up, unfortunately.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Steeler fans in general seem to have this notion that all their players are next in line for sainthood. Again, this goes back to being spoiled by not having so much bad press surrounding our players for so long that when it does happen people tend to really fly off the handle.

All in all, yeah what Ben did sucks and the bad press surrounding Holmes wasn't good nor was it good for Reed either. Honestly, today's athlete isn't like the ones even 10 years ago. Times change, people are a lot more bold now, too many temptations are easily accessible for someone with the money these guys have.

It's going to happen to players, it happens to other teams in the NFL and other sports all the time. We're just not used to having it happen to us. Even the best scouting and interviews can't be the end all be all for everything. Sometimes stuff just happens.

These players are big into themselves, not all of them but a good number of them, they don't profess to be good role models and many of them don't care. That's their right as much as we'd all like to make them feel otherwise. It's up to parents to teach their kids the values they want and let the kids make their decisions based on how they were raised, not because some football player thinks it's ok.

LatrobePA
04-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Now with all sales of #10 jerseys you get a free shot glass to bang off the face of some skank!

As well as #7 jerseys, they will now come with wire cutters to get the skanks bras off easier!

Trust me gang, kids do look up to these PROS, my boy is 11 and has worn a #7 on his jersey since he was old enough to put pads on and play ball.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Oh believe me, I know they do. Kids today who love sports and raised like many of our children are to enjoy watching and playing sports, do look up to these guys. The problem is, and I was guilty of it too when I was a kid, they think if the athlete does it then it's ok.

All we can do is raise them to make intelligent decisions based on the values we've instilled in them and hope for the best. Athletes, Actors, Musicians, anybody in a high profile line of work; they are all potential role models to kids but not all of them feel that responsibility to act like a role model.

We can't blame them for being that way or not, they are just people too. In their line of thinking they didn't ask to be a role model and it's not their problem if kids take what they do to heart or not. Now there are many athletes that are good role models, but the fact is many of them just don't make it a high priority to be one.

K Train
04-01-2010, 05:07 PM

i just turned 20, im not that far removed from being in HS and playing football. if your a kid and you start making it rain in strip clubs with a gun strapped to your waste because pacman did it, or shooting yourself in the leg cause plaxico did it, or having 11 kids because cro and chris henry did it, or flipping your lambo because lance brings did it, or doing whatever maurice clarrett did cause maurice clarret did it, or fighting dogs because michael vick did it, or shanking a fool because ray lewis did it, or driving drunk because half the bengals did it, or popping pills because brett favre did it, or smacking tila tequila because shawne merriman did it, or shitting in a bitches closet because najeh davenport did it, or smoking weed because ricky williams did it, or banging tons of hot sluts because tiger woods did it, or dealing piles of cocaine because jamaal lewis did it, or decking a kid after a game because lagarrette blount did it, or biting a dudes ear off because tyson did it, or take naked pictures of thereselves and beat up paper towel dispensers because jeff reed did it, or have children that do coke and heroin because andy reids kids do it....

well then your kid is a ****ing idiot

they all cant be tim tebow

Now with all sales of #10 jerseys you get a free shot glass to bang off the face of some skank!

this legitimately made me laugh lol

cmerrifield
04-01-2010, 05:36 PM
You guys can say that these players arent role models and disagree with me and others who think that if you play professional sports, you are a role model like it or not. However, as much as that can be debated, the NFL tends to side more with those of us who think the players are role models. I am not saying these guys need to be perfect or anything close to that, however, these incidents are not the first time troubles for either Ben or Holmes, so I really think the Steelers/Goodell should step in and do something. I realize they are young and going to make mistakes, but these two, three if you count Reed dont seem to be learning from them and they dont realize how much disgrace they put on the Rooney's/Steelers and the NFL. I think it would be right for them to both be suspended for a couple games, and if Ben is charged and found guilty, for several seasons.

steelersbabex25
04-01-2010, 05:45 PM
You guys can say that these players arent role models and disagree with me and others who think that if you play professional sports, you are a role model like it or not. However, as much as that can be debated, the NFL tends to side more with those of us who think the players are role models. I am not saying these guys need to be perfect or anything close to that, however, these incidents are not the first time troubles for either Ben or Holmes, so I really think the Steelers/Goodell should step in and do something. I realize they are young and going to make mistakes, but these two, three if you count Reed dont seem to be learning from them and they dont realize how much disgrace they put on the Rooney's/Steelers and the NFL. I think it would be right for them to both be suspended for a couple games, and if Ben is charged and found guilty, for several seasons.

Well, the chance is probably slim to none that either of them are going to be suspended, or charged and found guilty for anything. So if that's what you're hoping is going to be their wake-up call, I wouldn't hold my breath.

TEEMONT
04-01-2010, 09:17 PM

Charles Barkely said it best, "I am not a role-model." These guys aren't role models. And if parents let them become role models, then they are doing a ****** job of parenting. People are blowing this **** waay out of proportion.

Let's look at who Ben's "role models" probably were when he was growing up, Joe Montana? Probably. Did that guy get in trouble off the field? Nope. So obviously most kids' "role models" are role models b/c of what they do on the field, not on it. If any parent is worth a ****, they will tell their impressionable 12-15 year old that off the field Ben, and to a lesser extent, Santonio, are huge pieces of ****. Great people to emulate on the field, terrible to off the field. It parent's responsibility to give their kids the core values that turns them into decent people, not some kid who was givien millions of dollars, and all of the pressure of performing for you people, as a 23 year old. Ben's parents obviously failed him.

Long story short....kids arent going to tell other kids to "kill themselves" b/c Santonio Homles did, kids are going to do it, b/c it's kinda funny to say when its not taken out of context, and also b/c kids (and myself) are dicks. Plain and simple.

--- Added 4/1/2010 at 07:17 PM ---

i just turned 20, im not that far removed from being in HS and playing football. if your a kid and you start making it rain in strip clubs with a gun strapped to your waste because pacman did it, or shooting yourself in the leg cause plaxico did it, or having 11 kids because cro and chris henry did it, or flipping your lambo because lance brings did it, or doing whatever maurice clarrett did cause maurice clarret did it, or fighting dogs because michael vick did it, or shanking a fool because ray lewis did it, or driving drunk because half the bengals did it, or popping pills because brett favre did it, or smacking tila tequila because shawne merriman did it, or shitting in a bitches closet because najeh davenport did it, or smoking weed because ricky williams did it, or banging tons of hot sluts because tiger woods did it, or dealing piles of cocaine because jamaal lewis did it, or decking a kid after a game because lagarrette blount did it, or biting a dudes ear off because tyson did it, or take naked pictures of thereselves and beat up paper towel dispensers because jeff reed did it, or have children that do coke and heroin because andy reids kids do it....

dammit...I saw this after my rant

K Train
04-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Charles Barkely said it best, "I am not a role-model." These guys aren't role models. And if parents let them become role models, then they are doing a ****** job of parenting. People are blowing this **** waay out of proportion.

Let's look at who Ben's "role models" probably were when he was growing up, Joe Montana? Probably. Did that guy get in trouble off the field? Nope. So obviously most kids' "role models" are role models b/c of what they do on the field, not on it. If any parent is worth a ****, they will tell their impressionable 12-15 year old that off the field Ben, and to a lesser extent, Santonio, are huge pieces of ****. Great people to emulate on the field, terrible to off the field. It parent's responsibility to give their kids the core values that turns them into decent people, not some kid who was givien millions of dollars, and all of the pressure of performing for you people, as a 23 year old. Ben's parents obviously failed him.

Long story short....kids arent going to tell other kids to "kill themselves" b/c Santonio Homles did, kids are going to do it, b/c it's kinda funny to say when its not taken out of context, and also b/c kids (and myself) are dicks. Plain and simple.

--- Added 4/1/2010 at 07:17 PM ---

dammit...I saw this after my rant
coming from a man who legit has a baby

Black@Gold Forever32
04-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Teemont and Ktrain said it best in this thread......I'm not a parent but if I ever do become one I will be my child's role model bar none and not some ego/rich athlete....I will tell my child to respect an athlete's respective talent but not to look at them as a role model.....All parents really should be role models but problem is some parents are jack bags.....lol

Our brave men and women in our armed forces are the real heroes a role models......Firefighters are role models, the quality teachers in this country are role models.....

steelersbabex25
04-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Not to mention that any kid old enough to know what things like rape (Ben) and weed (Holmes) are, probably know that it's not right. 8 year old kids aren't going to go out and smoke weed because that's what Santonio Holmes is doing.

SteelerSteve
04-02-2010, 01:37 AM
lol When I was a kid the only thing that watching football made me want to do was go play some catch or whatever....I never even paid attention to the news at that young of an age and didn't want to watch that boring ****...

JensK
04-02-2010, 04:25 AM

Highlightet the two parts where i call BS! :lol:

No really, this sums it up right there.:plus1:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-02-2010, 09:11 AM

Ok dude, that has to be one of the best posts I've seen in a long time, I mean whether you agree with it or not your eloquence is second to none on that one :rofl:

75Steeler
04-02-2010, 09:36 AM

This is funny as hell!

Woodson_DownUnder
04-02-2010, 10:02 AM

Well said TOP GUN. I'm not concerned. I believe the beat up in the media is taking it OVER the TOP. The definition/ interpretation of detail has yet to surface of what happened in either case for Big Ben. Consensual flirting isn't a crime otherwise we all wouldn't be here. Consider that state of the accuser (alcohol intoxication), NO claim of RAPE either, no witnesses...nothing. It all adds up.. she/ both want $$$$$. Big Ben would care to defend himself to the hilt and counter sue for defamation once it's all said and done.

Santonio has to deal with a felon who is pushing his buttons for $$$$$ nothing more, nothing less. Just HOPE both players can 'WAKE UP' and be wiser when going out.