PDA

View Full Version : Fast "Bitter" Willie Parker

Stlrs4Life
03-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Here's hoping Fast Willie stays in town
Monday, March 29, 2010
By Ron Cook (http://www.post-gazette.com/search/archive.asp?cCat=87), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201003/parkerxl0329_500.jpg
Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
Willie Parker scores on his memorable 75-yard run in the third quarter of Super Bowl XL in February 2006.

View all related images (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201003/parkerxl0329_500.jpg)

Willie Parker didn't call for advice, but I'm going to offer him some anyway this morning:
Hey, Fast Willie. The Steelers still need a really good backup running back to Rashard Mendenhall. You still don't have a job for next season, last time I checked. Put aside your hard feelings toward Mike Tomlin and the Steelers' organization and see if a deal can't be done that benefits everyone. You gotta remember one thing: We're talking business here. It should never be personal. It's business.

I hope Parker comes back.
The Steelers will be a better team for it.
Parker turns 30 on Nov. 11, but he still has plenty left. He proved that to me in the final game last season. He toted the football 12 times for 91 yards against the Miami Dolphins and looked good doing it.
If Parker can just get his mind right ...
We're talking business here. It should never be personal.
The Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette spoke to a person close to Parker and reported in his PG+ blog that Parker is so bitter toward the Steelers about his treatment last season that he would rather sit out 2010 than play here again. The source's message might be a bit extreme, but there's no question Parker -- a valuable guy who played a major role on two Super Bowl-winning teams -- couldn't have been happy about being pushed aside for Mendenhall. Parker had to know it was inevitable from the day the Steelers drafted Mendenhall No. 1 in the '08 draft and invested a fortune in him, but that didn't make it any easier to take. The Steelers hardly used Parker after he had a foot injury in the third game. He had a total of just 34 carries in the 10 games before the Miami game.
Of course, that stung even if Parker never complained about it publicly.
Parker is a proud man. He never was fully appreciated by a lot of media and fans here, but he should be remembered as one of the great Steelers. He ran for 1,200 yards in '05 and set a Super Bowl record with a 75-yard touchdown run against the Seattle Seahawks. He had nearly 1,500 yards in '06 and was leading the NFL with 1,316 yards in '07 when his right leg was broken in the next-to-last game. He came back to lead the '08 Super Bowl Steelers in rushing despite missing five games with knee and shoulder injuries.
Despite all of that, the Steelers weren't wrong to turn to Mendenhall last season. After taking a public scolding from Tomlin, who benched him on offense during the game at Cincinnati in September because he "wasn't on the details this week," he played like a No. 1 pick and finished the season with 1,108 yards. "I think he's capable of a lot more to be quite honest with you," Tomlin told Bouchette last week. "Looking for him to do great things for us."

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/icon_acrobat_16x16.pngPDF

Running comparison (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/pdf/201003/20100329_cook.pdf)

That makes at least two of us.
But that doesn't mean there's not a spot for Parker as long as he can wrap his arms around being a backup. He knows Bruce Arians' offense. He could step in again if something happens to Mendenhall. He would be a better choice than any of the other backs on the roster -- Mewelde Moore, Frank Summers and Isaac Redman. He might be a better choice than the team could find elsewhere, either in the draft next month or in free agency later in the spring.
At this point, it doesn't look as if Parker will get a shot at a starting job with another team. There hasn't been nearly the interest in him around the league that I thought there would be. There has to be concerns about his age and his injuries the past three seasons.
That's why Parker owes it to himself to at least re-think his stance on the Steelers. I'm guessing they would like to have him back at the right price. They brought back wide receiver Antwaan Randle El and linebacker Larry Foote to provide depth at key positions on a veteran team they think is capable of taking another run at a Super Bowl. There's no reason they shouldn't want to fill a similar need with Parker. That's especially true if they are as serious about re-committing to the running game as Tomlin says they are. They're going to need two good, solid, proven running backs.
Clearly, Parker can be one of the two.
That's assuming, of course, Parker can make his peace with Tomlin and the organization and accept his role as Mendenhall's backup.
Bitter Willie?
I'm thinking Fast Willie sounds a whole lot better.

Ron Cook: rcook@post-gazette.com. Ron Cook can be heard on the "Vinnie and Cook" show weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on 93.7 The Fan. More articles by this author (http://www.post-gazette.com/search/archive.asp?cCat=87)
First published on March 29, 2010 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10088/1046479-87.stm#ixzz0jc17Sv8i

If that's Willies stance, so long Willie. Sit out for all we care. Stab the only team in the back that gave you a chance in the NFL.

Troyisabeast_43
03-29-2010, 08:54 PM
If Parker doesnt want to be here then I dont want him here period. I'd love to have him back dont get me wrong. Plus, I really dont think the Steelers are going to find anyone really better to back up Mendy, but if Parker doesnt want to be here there is nothing that can really be done about it.

Stlrs4Life
03-29-2010, 09:01 PM
I personally want him out now, if this is true.

LatrobePA
03-29-2010, 09:09 PM
He's salty no doubt, I say show him the door...

Zachintosh66
03-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Those stats are a sham... manipulated b/c some sports writer got suckered into buying a willie Parker jersey and now has to retire it to the back of his closet...

-How are you going to compare Mendy's "first season" with PT to Parker in his "heyday"...
-Also it says Mendy played 16 games last season... joke. We all know he didnt dress one and had spotty playing time at best until Parker got hurt (again).
-Parkers stats have slowly been on the decline since his "heyday"... dont believe me look it up
-Parkers biggest weapon was speed, once that was hurt he was an ave NFL RB AT BEST!
-Parker couldnt ever even lock up the short yardage spot either... after many chances we ended up rolling with a kid who was kicked out of college to score our goalline TD in the superbowl.

Bottom Line I loved watching Willie Parker get that corner and have him look like he was shot outta a cannon as much as the next guy. But his durabilty has been majorly called into question. Not to mention with him being 29 he is quickly closing in on that "wall" of 30+ RB who are now has beens...

If Willie is bitter... well then be gone with him. What does he really expect? They did draft a RB #1 2 years ago. That my friend Willie is called "the writing on the wall."

Captcoolhand
03-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Man, where's the love! I know somewhere on this site someone has their little notebook full of stats explaining why FWP is a god sent...:duh:

DanRooney
03-29-2010, 09:21 PM
He never was a good every down runningback. He had more negative plays from scrimmage than any other back in the league in 2007 and 2008. Hell in the 2005 playoffs, 45 percent of his runs were less than a yard. Can't catch either. He just flourished with being fast behind one of the best run blocking offensive lines in the league early in his career.

There will be plenty of solid RBs in the 3rd-4th rounds of the draft to compliment Mendenhall. McCluster, McKnight and Blount are all better options.

AZ_Steeler
03-29-2010, 10:26 PM
FWP needs to go... there are plenty of other RB's on the market that can replace and be more productive playing half of season than he has ben the last 2 years!

Big T
03-29-2010, 10:26 PM
I really like McCluster in the 3rd...

LatrobePA
03-29-2010, 11:36 PM
We have that guy on our PS!

Real Deal Steel
03-30-2010, 12:06 AM
I'd be interested to see what would happen if Gerhart were on the board when we picked in the second round.

JensK
03-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Later parker. Thanks for the run, but he knew this would happen... They invested alot in Mendenhall, so obviously they are going to use him.

This just more than ever makes me think that we are going to draft a RB somewhere in the draft. I would not mind McCluster, McKnight or Blunt in the third/fourth, however i think we may be able to snack Thaddeus Gibson in the third, and one of the three guys mentioned above would probably be around in the fourth.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Later parker. Thanks for the run, but he knew this would happen... They invested alot in Mendenhall, so obviously they are going to use him.

This just more than ever makes me think that we are going to draft a RB somewhere in the draft. I would not mind McCluster, McKnight or Blunt in the third/fourth, however i think we may be able to snack Thaddeus Gibson in the third, and one of the three guys mentioned above would probably be around in the fourth.

Blount would be interesting in the 4th round and I wouldn't be against it at all......I also like Ben Tate, RB from Auburn......

I don't think Gibson will be there in the third...I think somebody will take a chance on him in the 2nd.....Arthur Moats or Adrian Tracy are a couple 4-5 round OLB projects that I like....

Big T
03-30-2010, 01:46 AM
We have that guy on our PS!

Absolutely not....

JensK
03-30-2010, 02:29 AM
Absolutely not....

pffffft! We have Redman, and when we draft Tebow there is no stopping us.

Iron City South
03-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Mendenhall

Legarret Blount

Enough said ....

See ya Willie. Enjoy the fact that the Rooney's took a chance on you when nobody even knew your name and made you a millionaire.

You gave us an epic 75 yd SB run ... and for that we thank you.

SteelCityKid5
03-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Wait wait... let me guess... "He still has a lot left in the tank and he wants to prove his doubters wrong". I've heard that time and time again with running backs. It is statistically proven once RB's hit a certain age their production level drops. Willie doesnt want to be here and I dont want him to be here. We'll draft a RB in the mid to later portion of the draft.

cmerrifield
03-30-2010, 12:02 PM
I wasnt happy with Parker, two season ago, when our defense was amazing. He was asked in an interview if he was tired of the defense getting all the press and he said "Yes." He was the only player I heard interviewed, who did answer with something like this, "No, the defense is playing well this year and we are winning games, it doesnt matter who is in the limelight, we just want to win, and we are a band of brothers."

igor0190
03-30-2010, 01:05 PM
If Willie is sour towards the Steelers, then the hell with him. Grow up. The Rooney's gave you a chance as an undrafted RB and you had a better career than you could have hoped. Let him walk and see if the "grass is greener on the other side". Larry Foote found out it wasn't. Randle-El knew it wasn't (had to take the $$ though). Ryan Clark was smart enough to realize it wasn't. Let Willie find out the hard way. Obviously he his ego has blinded him to reality.

HUNT4SEVEN
03-30-2010, 07:41 PM
F&^% Willie no vision Parker he's only good for Madden anyways:hehheh:

LatrobePA
03-31-2010, 05:25 PM
Absolutely not....

:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Mendenhall

Legarret Blount

Enough said ....

See ya Willie. Enjoy the fact that the Rooney's took a chance on you when nobody even knew your name and made you a millionaire.

You gave us an epic 75 yd SB run ... and for that we thank you.

That's about the long and short of it right there...ever since that SB run he's been injured all too often and the work horse job has been earned by Mendenhall.