PDA

View Full Version : Colbert: Sweed still in their plans

JensK
03-27-2010, 02:49 PM
from nfl.com

Personnel business

A few nuggets of information after talking to some of the GMs and personnel executives at the meetings:

» Kevin Colbert, director of football operations for the Pittsburgh Steelers, told me Ziggy Hood -- last year's first-round draft pick -- was ready to make a bigger contribution in his second year with the team. He said receiver Limas Sweed was working at the facility and still is very much a part of the Steelers' plans. Like many Steelers faithful, Colbert is very happy to have Antwaan Randle El and Larry Foote back with the team. Even after Randle El left in 2006 to join the Redskins, Colbert said, he always was a Steeler.

also, Tomlin said the other day that he is expecting great things from Mendenhall this season:

Tomlin expecting big jump from Mendenhall
March 25th, 2010

Rashard Mendenhall rushed for 1,108 yards and seven touchdowns in 2009. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin made it clear to the former first-round pick that he expects him to build on what Mendenhall did in his second NFL season.

“He’s a very talented guy,” Tomlin said this week at the NFL owners meetings. “I think he’s capable of much more to be quite honest with you. I’ve been pretty clear with him in term of that with our exit interview.”

Mendenhall has clearly established himself as the Steelers’ feature back. What is less clear is how the Steelers’ situation at running back shakes out behind Mendenhall.

Mewelde Moore is their top backup right now -- he excelled when pressed into a starting role in 2008 because of injuries to Willie Parker -- but the Steelers will almost certainly add another back either in free agency or the draft.

That is especially true since the Steelers are keen on creating competition across the board, something they have done with free-agent signings such as Larry Foote, Antwaan Randle El and Will Allen.

Parker, who has not generated much interest on the free agent market, could return to the team for which he became a star before injuries slowed him down.

The Steelers, though, may be looking for a power back to add to their stable of runners. LeGarrette Blount of Oregon will visit the team next week, and he is 6-01/2 and 241 pounds.

A power back could help the Steelers improve on their short-yardage running in 2010.

But the 5-10, 225-pound Mendenhall could also emerge as that short-yardage hammer since he is still tapping into his enormous potential.

“He’s a guy that’s on the rise,” Tomlin said, “and I think he needs to have that mentality. Looking for him to do great things for us.”

Black@Gold Forever32
03-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Sweed should still be in the Steelers plans no doubt.....His contract doesn't kill the team and despite his struggles in the NFL, Sweed still has upside.......If training camp/pre-season if Sweed still shows no signs of improvement then the Steelers should maybe think about cutting him.....

Zachintosh66
03-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Sweed should still be in the Steelers plans no doubt...

Someone has to hold the water! :lol: :stirpot:

Big T
03-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Sweed is breaking my heart but I still think he can be very good....he just needs to get his **** together....it's all mental...the dude had shown he can get open, he just
needs to catch the damn ball....he just needs to get his mind right

SteelCityKid5
03-27-2010, 05:13 PM
I still think Sweed can become something in the NFL. Also, I think this is the last year I give to Sweed. I mean he would have completed his 3rd season in the NFL and I think by then you should be developed.

Real Deal Steel
03-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Every since Sweed dropped that long TD pass in the playoffs a couple of years ago, he's been in the dog house and I think it effected him.

With that said, he showed great potential on that play and I still think he has something. But with the emergence of Wallace, Sweed could be moved but we need to up his trade value by playing him. But that hurts Wallace.

Yen and yang.

If someone offered a second round pick for Sweed, then we should take it. We really need to get draft help on the lines. Get younger because there is considerable age on the D-line.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-28-2010, 11:12 PM
No team is going to offer a 2nd round pick for Limas Sweed right now....lol I doubt the Steelers could get a 5th or 6th for him.......But the Steelers can afford to be patient on Sweed going into training camp and pre-season....He is still on his rookie contract which isn't killing the team at all......If Sweed shows no progress after this pre-season then cut him......

LatrobePA
03-28-2010, 11:28 PM
My prediction is this: A.R.E will put enough pressure on him and will push him to be a starter. ARE will be released!!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-28-2010, 11:32 PM
My prediction is this: A.R.E will put enough pressure on him and will push him to be a starter. ARE will be released!!

Well I hope you're right.....I would love to see Sweed pan out......Holmes, Wallace, Sweed would be a very nice young WR core for Ben to air out.............

LatrobePA
03-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Well I hope you're right.....I would love to see Sweed pan out......Holmes, Wallace, Sweed would be a very nice young WR core for Ben to air out.............

Sounds good don't it! I think it could and will happen...

BlitzburghRockCity
03-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Sweed should still be in the Steelers plans no doubt.....His contract doesn't kill the team and despite his struggles in the NFL, Sweed still has upside.......If training camp/pre-season if Sweed still shows no signs of improvement then the Steelers should maybe think about cutting him.....

No doubt he'll be on the team through atleast training camp and if he still doesn't show significant improvement by the last round of cuts before the regular season starts I would imagine they will probably just cut ties with him. The starting 3 are intact; but those last 2-3 spots will be up for grabs. This will be his 3rd year, the excuses are long since gone..it's time to put up or shut up for this kid.

As for Mendenall, he's got the power to be that short yardage back too. He is just the right size to run through people or around them. It's a unique combination that should serve him well if the line can block for him.

I would think at this point, they would consider a power back like Russel was for us, that short yardage go to guy who could also probably play backup FB. I'll be really surprised if Parker is back on the team this year but if he is he'll be playing for a lot less than he's used too.

KemoTherapy
03-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Mendenhall does too much spinning and dancing around to be a go to short yardage back. He has the body type but not the mentality to get 3 yards whatever the cost.

LatrobePA
03-29-2010, 02:35 PM
I think Mendy did a nice job picking up 3rd and shorts..But yes we nicknamed him Spindenall!

coldrolled
03-29-2010, 03:05 PM
I think Mendy did a nice job picking up 3rd and shorts..But yes we nicknamed him Spindenall!

just watched the replay of the steelers cinci game last year..

lets see. we are winning 13-0

Starks has a hold, back up 10.
Starks misses a block for Moore, we lose on 4th down conv.. Cinci drives FG.. 3 points.

Ben thows INT for TD... 13-9

Now, Sweed drops easy one in the End Zone. miss 7.

then Reed misses the field goal. miss 3...

in this scenario, which happened alot last year.

why is sweed the bad guy as he is the rookie....

Note: Mendenhall didnt play yet, it was all parker still...

ejsteeler
03-29-2010, 03:54 PM
just watched the replay of the steelers cinci game last year..

lets see. we are winning 13-0

Starks has a hold, back up 10.
Starks misses a block for Moore, we lose on 4th down conv.. Cinci drives FG.. 3 points.

Ben thows INT for TD... 13-9

Now, Sweed drops easy one in the End Zone. miss 7.

then Reed misses the field goal. miss 3...

in this scenario, which happened alot last year.

why is sweed the bad guy as he is the rookie....

Note: Mendenhall didnt play yet, it was all parker still...

Kudos for being able to sit through that again! :yellowthumb: :lol:

I'm not a true student of the game I guess. I can watch us win again, but not lose. At least, not a whole game :dunno:

Blazedby92
03-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Mendenhall does too much spinning and dancing around to be a go to short yardage back. He has the body type but not the mentality to get 3 yards whatever the cost.

:plus1:Been saying that from day one, atleast the last game of the season I actually seen him put his shoulders, so hopefully it continues.

Real Deal Steel
03-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Let's see what a full training camp as "the guy" does for Mendenhall. If he's smart, he hits the weights and rededicates himself and finishes camp running hard and mean. If not, it's an indication that he may not have the right mental make up to be a Steelers running back.

SteelerSteve
03-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Let's see what a full training camp as "the guy" does for Mendenhall. If he's smart, he hits the weights and rededicates himself and finishes camp running hard and mean. If not, it's an indication that he may not have the right mental make up to be a Steelers running back.
I wouldn't go THAT far! damn! lol