PDA

View Full Version : First time you saw the Steelers in action

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Mine was in the 1970's . I was babysitting my little cousins , and younger brothers and sisters , while my parents and my aunt went for thier anual monday night bowling league outing .
I was in the 6th grade at the time , and wanted to show i was responsible , and be up when they got home . It was getting near 10:00 pm. , and i must say i wanted to nod out like all the other kids i was in charge of .
Instead i was determined to stay awake , and decided to see what was on tv . That old zenith , i went over and started to turn the knob ......no remote in those days . No cable in Mummasburg Pa either .
After switching through the 5 or 6 channels we could get, i caught a faded image of a football game going on . Monday night football of course . Lucky the tv was close to a window , while i went outside to turn the antenna for the best possible reception.
I went back in and watched the game . It was the Houston Oilers and the Pittsburgh Steelers , with Howard Cosell , and dandy Don Merideth commentating . I can't remember the other commentator .
Seems Terry Hanratty got hurt and a new Terry had to come into the game . While i was watching i thought to myself .....wow Pittsburgh , thats in Pa. , i am from Pa. I am going to root for them . I found out they had not been a winning team in the past , but i stuck with them . I'm glad i did .
And thats the way it was 38 years ago today . Oh i'm sorry , this is a Wednesday .
They went on to be one of the proudest franchises known to the football world . They will always be near and dear to my heart . I always remember the first time i ever saw them and the circumstances under which i was able to discover them , It will live on forever .
I'm interested in others first glimpse of them also . Little change up to get away from all this negative crap .
:cope: :cope: :cope: :cope: :cope: :cope:

scott0326
03-24-2010, 06:33 PM
The first Steelers game I watched was a Steelers/Ravens game back in 2002. (Note: Im only 15). It was great game since the Steelers kill and some interesting things happened. I remember Plaxico Burress got ejected early in the game.

Here is box score from game
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200210270rav.htm

75Steeler
03-24-2010, 07:18 PM
I don't recall a specific game but I remember when I was about 5 years old playing in the livingroom and my dad was watching the Steelers. I didn't start really watching full time till I was about 12 and we moved from Pittsburgh and I got home sick. Watching the Steelers always made me proud of the city and the team.

SteelerSal
03-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Superbowl IX.

My dad had a Superbowl party......I was 9 years old. :cope: <-------milk

coldrolled
03-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Superbowl IX.

My dad had a Superbowl party......I was 9 years old. :cope: <-------milk

Two years before we drafted Bradshaw.....

you do the math...

:grin1:

SnakeEyes43
03-24-2010, 11:34 PM
My first live game was about 10 years ago when I was 12. I saw the Titans come to Pittsburgh and smack us. It was a awesome experience though. My Dad and I have been going to a game every year for about 8 years now, every one is special. I don't remember what the first game I saw on TV was though...but I was brought home from the hospital in a Steeler onesie, so it was probably that very weekend!

Zachintosh66
03-25-2010, 12:10 AM
mine was the turkey day game vs lions (not coin toss, however i was at that one too) But in the brister era...

SteelerSal
03-25-2010, 09:17 AM
mine was the turkey day game vs lions (not coin toss, however i was at that one too) But in the brister era...

Ouch....isn't that the game we got spanked something like 45-10?

steelspikes
03-26-2010, 12:01 AM
1967, a rainy Sunday at old Pitt Stadium. Steelers vs. Redskins. Steelers stunk so bad that when they exited the stadium at halftime (the lockerrooms were across the street) someone shouted "keep going!" Remember Sam Huff at middle linebecker for the Skins. Think Sonny Jurgenson was behind center. Unfortunately, there were no memorable Steeler players. I was only ten years old.

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Ouch....isn't that the game we got spanked something like 45-10?

Think your right . That was the day Billy Simms ran all over us .

Forged in Steel
03-26-2010, 06:03 PM
I have vague memories of games I watched in the 1990s, but I completely remember watching the 2001-2002 AFC Divisional Playoff Game against the Ravens (27-10 Steelers win). Note: I was born in 1993.

Link to game:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200201200pit.htm

sew091472
03-27-2010, 12:46 PM
My first live game was a game at Buffalo in 1980 when I was 8 years old with my father. I think the Bills won the game 28-13. I don't remember much about that game except seeing alot of Terrible Towels twirling when Franco Harris scored a touchdown early in the game. I can't remember exactly when I first saw the Steelers play on tv. It might've been in 1979 when they were playing the Houston Oilers in the AFC Championship game.

MattyVfromCT
03-27-2010, 01:10 PM
first game that i saw on television was the monday night game against the bills in 94. the rod woodson game where he picked off jim kelly for 6 and later sacked him inside the 10 forcing a fumble that was recovered for a td.

first live game that i attended was my 22nd birthday, december 7, 2006, thursday night against the clowns where willie parker broke frenchy fuqua's franchise record for rushing yards in a single game. the only other game i attended was on my 24th birthday, the december 7, 2008 classic against dallas. that was awesome. heinz field was LOUD when deshea pick 6'ed romo to win the game. pretty damn good bday gifts, steelers win against teams i hate, with willie making history in one and the other game being an instant classic. my only regret is that i didn't ever get to a game in three rivers. i wish i could witness in person how loud it got there.

Stlrs4Life
03-28-2010, 12:47 AM
Started watchijng in the early 70's, not sure which game though.