PDA

View Full Version : Your confidence in Dixon if he needs to start a few games...

BlitzburghRockCity
03-23-2010, 10:58 AM
This is not a "Ben is guilty or not guilty" thread, nor is it a "Ben needs to not do these things" thread, or anything like that..we have enough of those already. If those posts start showing up they will be moved/removed. Just fair warning :redcool:

This is about what you think of Dixon and how much confidence in him do you have to be the starter for a few games if Ben gets suspended by the league for awhile.

Regardless of what happens, and let's assume for the sake of conversation in this thread, that nothing legal comes of this whole thing, I would say at this point it's a fair assumption that the league will impose some type of punishment for Ben. The Steelers may do it as well. It It could potentially include a big fine, probably some community service or counseling type deal, as well as a possible suspension for some games.

If that happens, are you confident in Dixon's abilities to lead this team for awhile or do you think getting a veteran QB to come in like either Leftwich or maybe Bulger or something might be a better way to go? I think Dixon showed some real nice potential in the Baltimore game last year and had he not tossed that late pick we might have been able to pull that one out. Let's also perish the thought of us doing something ridiculous like trading up to get Tebow or something because I'm sure that's not going to happen either..LOL.

75Steeler
03-23-2010, 11:14 AM
This would be easier to answer knowing who our first few games are against. But all in all I think Dixon will be fine. I really hope he is preparing himself now and in the next several months should this situation happen he will be ready. This could be Dixon's chance to shine in the eyes of the fans, his teammates and the coaches. Situations like this allow for greatness in a back up player.

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-23-2010, 11:38 AM
I think he could be not only a game manager , but a game changer . If he is inserted in a game i hope the coaching staff tends to the strengths of his abilities , when devising a game plan . From what i have seen from him , how be it so briefly , i think he could thrive if given a chance to be a starter .

BlitzburghRockCity
03-23-2010, 11:48 AM
I really like how he handled himself against the Ravens last year, that's a very aggressive defense that gives you a lot of looks. He showed his inexperience in the 2nd half when Baltimore started changing up their looks and really forcing him to go through his progressions and hold onto the ball longer so he has some work to do. At the same time though he's been in the system for 2 years now and he should be starting to have grasp of what he needs to do, and the rest just comes with game experience.

I would think, or hope atleast, that he is taking this offseason to prepare as the #2 guy from here on out and realizing he could be thrust into duty sooner rather than later.

igor0190
03-23-2010, 12:10 PM
I think he could be not only a game manager , but a game changer . If he is inserted in a game i hope the coaching staff tends to the strengths of his abilities , when devising a game plan . From what i have seen from him , how be it so briefly , i think he could thrive if given a chance to be a starter .

I have confidence in Dixon... I do not have confidence in Bruce Arians ability to use Dixon effectively. We would have won the Ravens game if Arians would have called a few good plays to use Dixon's mobility.

coldrolled
03-23-2010, 12:33 PM
I have confidence in Dixon... I do not have confidence in Bruce Arians ability to use Dixon effectively. We would have won the Ravens game if Arians would have called a few good plays to use Dixon's mobility.

We all saw that with BA, run dixon a bit more and we win.. see.. arians was thinking that too... and the ravens were thinking that same thing... that dixon would be running more, so BA thought.. thats what the ravens are thinking.. so i wont run dixon...:grin1::grin1:

its not what works.. its what the other guy is thinking.... BA is a mental case in game planning. kinda like... l wont run into the wind, they will be thinking i will run, so ill pass more.

:banana:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-23-2010, 12:52 PM
I have no doubt that Arians over thinks situations way too much; in the effort of always trying to outsmart his opponent we put ourselves less desirable situations. Dixon is a totally different animal than Ben is, and while he does have a lot of escapability because he is mobile, I wouldn't want to see him trying to pull the stuff that Ben does yet. Drop back, go through your reads, if it's not there don't be afraid to run. I think if you utilize that part of his game, while still making sure he thinks "pass" first he could do well.

LatrobePA
03-23-2010, 01:01 PM
If we had an OC worth a **** we'd won the Ravens game last year. This year will be no diffrent, can we win with Dixon, YES. Can we win with Dixon running the plays BA is sending in is the real question!!

Blazedby92
03-23-2010, 01:53 PM
You should of put no BA bashing on this thread too. I don't like the guy much but we have enough threads here for BA we don't need another. Heard it ALL year and still hearing it. We all get it now, enough already:banging: deal with it people it's not going to change.

Yes I do think DD can get it done but at the same time it's going to take some game time experience. He did well against the ravens with very little time to prepare.

DanRooney
03-23-2010, 02:00 PM
I have 0 confidence in Dixon winning any games unless we're playing a terrible team. We were pretty much unable to do anything offensively against the Ravens. The 2nd half was embarrassing to watch outside that broken play for a TD. If Arians doesn't allow Dixon to use his athleticism, then we're definitely in trouble. He really doesn't have an arm.

igor0190
03-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Remember when they asked BA why he didn't call anything to play off the strengths of Dixon??? He says because he would get broken in half if he got hit.
:cursin:
You're trying to win the game! You have to take that chance if it gives you a better chance to win. :cursin::cursin: Bruce Arians :cursin::cursin:

Ironman
03-23-2010, 02:12 PM
I have 0 confidence in Dixon winning any games unless we're playing a terrible team. We were pretty much unable to do anything offensively against the Ravens. The 2nd half was embarrassing to watch outside that broken play for a TD. If Arians doesn't allow Dixon to use his athleticism, then we're definitely in trouble. He really doesn't have an arm.

Wow. Tell us how you really feel about the kid... Broken play? I don't remember that TD being a broken play but whatever you say. I wasn't embarrassed watching that game, I was excited- it was a great game to watch despite the loss. Our offense wasn't sparkling but what do you expect, he was a third string QB making his 1st NFL start against one of the BEST D's in the entire NFL.

I do have confidence in Dixon, his arm isn't as strong as Ben's, but the kid showed a lot of progression last year after being thrown into mix out of practically nowhere. If he prepares this season expecting to be that #2 and possibly a starter (pending on Ben's suspension) Dixon should show even more progression. I'm not thrilled about him possibly starting, but at the same time I have alittle more confidence than 0%

DanRooney
03-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Wow. Tell us how you really feel about the kid... Broken play? I don't remember that TD being a broken play but whatever you say. I wasn't embarrassed watching that game, I was excited- it was a great game to watch despite the loss. Our offense wasn't sparkling but what do you expect, he was a third string QB making his 1st NFL start against one of the BEST D's in the entire NFL.

I do have confidence in Dixon, his arm isn't as strong as Ben's, but the kid showed a lot of progression last year after being thrown into mix out of practically nowhere. If he prepares this season expecting to be that #2 and possibly a starter (pending on Ben's suspension) Dixon should show even more progression. I'm not thrilled about him possibly starting, but at the same time I have alittle more confidence than 0%

His TD run from scrimmage was a broken play. Tomlin and Arians said that they had designed to runs for him in fear of him getting injured.

LatrobePA
03-23-2010, 02:29 PM
You should of put no BA bashing on this thread too. I don't like the guy much but we have enough threads here for BA we don't need another. Heard it ALL year and still hearing it. We all get it now, enough already:banging: deal with it people it's not going to change.

Yes I do think DD can get it done but at the same time it's going to take some game time experience. He did well against the ravens with very little time to prepare.

Bruce Arians sucks! You'll have to deal with the bitching for another 12 months dude!

ejsteeler
03-23-2010, 02:30 PM
He's no franchise QB but I think he would do fine for a few games if need be. We have good talent around him that can help him on his way.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-23-2010, 02:36 PM
The fact that we haven't gone out and tried to go after another Veteran QB, at this point, would indicate they are probably pretty content with Dixon's progress to date. I would prefer to have a Batch or Leftwich on the team though, because you don't want your starting QB backed up by 2 guys that almost no NFL experience.

LatrobePA
03-23-2010, 02:53 PM
The fact that we haven't gone out and tried to go after another Veteran QB, at this point, would indicate they are probably pretty content with Dixon's progress to date. I would prefer to have a Batch or Leftwich on the team though, because you don't want your starting QB backed up by 2 guys that almost no NFL experience.

Or they are sure Ben will be cleared of any wrong doing...

ejsteeler
03-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Or they are sure Ben will be cleared of any wrong doing...

Possible, but you still want at least some experience behind the starter. The 3rd if not the backup.....

DanRooney
03-23-2010, 03:10 PM

I hope we sign Leftwich after this season to become the 'new Batch.'

strong D
03-23-2010, 04:12 PM
i have confidence in dixon as long as the D is playing well i wouldnt expect him to come out and win a shootout kinda game though

LatrobePA
03-23-2010, 04:14 PM
I say put Dixon on the Ben diet, let him pack on some lbs then draw up some plays for him...I think he could be money!

ejsteeler
03-23-2010, 04:34 PM
I say put Dixon on the Ben diet, let him pack on some lbs then draw up some plays for him...I think he could be money!

Careful now.....it appears the "Ben diet" has side effects.....:banana:

andyg1984
03-23-2010, 04:51 PM
imo dixon is an adequate backup, but there are only 10 or 12 QB's in this league who are capable of seriously winning a title and dixon is not one of them ..

coldrolled
03-23-2010, 05:16 PM
imo dixon is an adequate backup, but there are only 10 or 12 QB's in this league who are capable of seriously winning a title and dixon is not one of them ..

Gay i will say is a stretch to say he'll be a pro-bowler.

Dixon, i think you may be under estimating.

What is he missing? Durability?

He seems to have most other skills. Plus a bomb...

And the Randall Cunningham scramble ability...

he unloads his passes pretty quick...

DanRooney
03-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Dixon threw for 140 yards the entire game with a 60 passer rating. It was pretty pisspoor. That's why I'm always floored when people keep saying he played well.

LatrobePA
03-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Dixon threw for 140 yards the entire game with a 60 passer rating. It was pretty pisspoor. That's why I'm always floored when people keep saying he played well.

I agree, but lets remember that the Rats game was scripted to keep him from throwing the ball, I don't read too much into his PR for that one...

I think with the right play calling he could win us some games...

Stlrs4Life
03-23-2010, 06:47 PM
If we had an OC worth a **** we'd won the Ravens game last year. This year will be no diffrent, can we win with Dixon, YES. Can we win with Dixon running the plays BA is sending in is the real question!!

It would have helped, but if we had a defense in that game, we win, no need for OT.

I'm confident in Dixon, just think he needs more game experience.

LatrobePA
03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
It would have helped, but if we had a defense in that game, we win, no need for OT.

Very true!

JensK
03-23-2010, 09:57 PM
calling dixon bad because of the ravens game is flat out stupid... He had like one day to prepare to start against a top 3 defense, sunday night in baltimore. That is about as bad odds as you can get. He will be fine as second qb, and i would not be scared to see him start a few games...

DanRooney
03-23-2010, 10:06 PM
calling dixon bad because of the ravens game is flat out stupid... He had like one day to prepare to start against a top 3 defense, sunday night in baltimore. That is about as bad odds as you can get. He will be fine as second qb, and i would not be scared to see him start a few games...

Nobody called him bad. Just saying he's not going to win us games against anything more than an average team playing like he did against Baltimore.

JensK
03-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Nobody called him bad. Just saying he's not going to win us games against anything more than an average team playing like he did against Baltimore.

Thats very true, but this time he will probably have time to prepare him self. I really think he could start for a team some day.

Real Deal Steel
03-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Dixon showed me enough against the Ravens for me to be very comfortable with him. And believe me, there was alot of talk around the NFL in how he played considering he only had a week to prepare. Alot of people saw the potential in him.

strong D
03-23-2010, 11:39 PM
as long as he comes in to manage the game not win it and the d plays well imo he would be alrite for a few games

LatrobePA
03-24-2010, 12:02 AM
To best answer this question, ask yourself this: If he (Dixon) were to start the first few games for the Ravens would you as a Steeler fan be worried??

JensK
03-24-2010, 12:04 AM
To best answer this question, ask yourself this: If he (Dixon) were to start the first few games for the Ravens would you as a Steeler fan be worried??

actually more than wheb flacco is playing :grin1:

Captcoolhand
03-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Dennis Dixon finished last season as the No. 2 quarterback, and the Steelers plan to re-sign veteran backup Charlie Batch soon. But if something were to happen to Roethlisberger, "We don't necessarily have a backup plan at this time," Tomlin said. LINK (http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/03/ben_roethlisberger_called_pitt.html)I thought Dixons did well for himself being it was his first game ever starting as a rookie.:2cents:

I think if they have plans to bring back Batch they are just wasting a roster spot on him. Why don't they just convince the guy to hang them up and sign him a Interm and just make him an asst. coach or something. :dunno:

Ironman
03-24-2010, 10:39 AM

You basically said he can't do anything EXCEPT if he is playing against a "terrible team"- which infers that his abilities are relatively terrible too. I understand you haven't directly said he's "bad," but out of all the commentary, yours have been extremely negative and with comments like "0 confidence" I'm assuming you think he's bad.

I'm just sayin that he's started one game against a very good def with very little preparation time- a game in which we almost won- despite the poorly executed offense. This gives me confidence in that with another year under his belt, Dixon can start showing some true progression. Just don't understand why you think he is simply that inefficient/incapable of executing the offense.

And don't think I'm purposely picking on you Gravity, its just that debating something with someone who disagrees is A LOT more entertaining than debating something with someone who agrees. Hopefully you're not taking this as a direct attack from one Ironman to another...

coldrolled
03-24-2010, 11:14 AM
You basically said he can't do anything EXCEPT if he is playing against a "terrible team"- which infers that his abilities are relatively terrible too. I understand you haven't directly said he's "bad," but out of all the commentary, yours have been extremely negative and with comments like "0 confidence" I'm assuming you think he's bad.

I'm just sayin that he's started one game against a very good def with very little preparation time- a game in which we almost won- despite the poorly executed offense. This gives me confidence in that with another year under his belt, Dixon can start showing some true progression. Just don't understand why you think he is simply that inefficient/incapable of executing the offense.

And don't think I'm purposely picking on you Gravity, its just that debating something with someone who disagrees is A LOT more entertaining than debating something with someone who agrees. Hopefully you're not taking this as a direct attack from one Ironman to another...

i still say, he was an ACL tear away from the Heisman. We are lucky to have him.

one of our better draft picks along with wallace.

not many more great picks after our #1 the last few years.

Ironman
03-24-2010, 05:43 PM
i still say, he was an ACL tear away from the Heisman. We are lucky to have him.

one of our better draft picks along with wallace.

not many more great picks after our #1 the last few years.

He was a great pick when we got him- everyone forgot about what sick #'s he put up before he tor his ACL at Oregon. Don't know if he woulda got the Heisman, but his #'s were definitely worthy.

His #'s in the NFL aren't the same, but I think he offers some great opportunities that other QB's can't. Not saying he's ready to take on all 16 games, but I'd rather him than half the other backups in the league.

DanRooney
03-24-2010, 06:00 PM

No not really. I don't. Rewatching that game several times, Dixon couldn't throw the ball at all. He went a mediocre 12 for 26, and I can tell you the Ravens secondary is nothing to drool over. The o-line also did a good job protecting him for a majority of the game.

In response to the 'little preparation,' every NFL QB gets 1 week to prepare for a team. Toss that argument out the window. He was not a rookie QB either last season.

Next year we play New England, Jets, Atlanta, Carolina, and Oakland at home. Away we play Buffalo, Miami, Saints, Bucs, and Titans not including our own divisional games. Of those games I would only feel comfortable if he was playing Tampa, Buffalo, Carolina or Cleveland. All the other games I would see us losing.

HUNT4SEVEN
03-25-2010, 02:55 AM
From what i seen of Dixon against the Rats i was very impressed, remember they did not game plan for him to be the starting QB i think he will be fine he was 1st round talent before the knee injury, so i believe he will be fine because like it or not Ben will be sitting down for a month come Sep...

SteelerSteve
03-25-2010, 04:58 AM
I heard the woman who is pressing charges against Ben declined a second interview...which leads me to think more and more that ben will probably be the starter at the start of the season(though without a reputation intact) and if he doesn't get another charge against him lol(though at this point I wouldn't be surprised)

cmerrifield
03-25-2010, 06:41 AM
I have a lot of confidence in Dixon, especially if we can develop a game plan around him, instead of 24 hours notice that he is starting. Now with Randle El, we could do some trick plays and stuff like that. We can win some games with Dixon.

Miller83
03-25-2010, 11:00 AM
I have tons of confidence in Dixon; he may starting more than just a few games this season. He should have beaten the Rats last season, but the defense couldn't hold the lead!

SteelerSteve
03-25-2010, 06:20 PM
I have a lot of confidence in Dixon, especially if we can develop a game plan around him, instead of 24 hours notice that he is starting. Now with Randle El, we could do some trick plays and stuff like that. We can win some games with Dixon. I have confidence that Dixon can come in and do a decent job and even help us win games..but Ben is far and away the best QB on our team.

Real Deal Steel
03-27-2010, 11:11 AM
No not really. I don't. Rewatching that game several times, Dixon couldn't throw the ball at all. He went a mediocre 12 for 26, and I can tell you the Ravens secondary is nothing to drool over. The o-line also did a good job protecting him for a majority of the game.

In response to the 'little preparation,' every NFL QB gets 1 week to prepare for a team. Toss that argument out the window. He was not a rookie QB either last season.

Next year we play New England, Jets, Atlanta, Carolina, and Oakland at home. Away we play Buffalo, Miami, Saints, Bucs, and Titans not including our own divisional games. Of those games I would only feel comfortable if he was playing Tampa, Buffalo, Carolina or Cleveland. All the other games I would see us losing.

Again, he had little preperation because the whole week, we didn't know if Ben was going to play or not. Ben actually took reps away from Dixon because up until Friday, it was assumed Ben was going to play. And you also factor in that he is maturing every year also.

As far as the teams we play this year, who knows which of these teams is going to be good or bad because it changes from year to year with most teams in the NFL. Who's to say the Saints will be any good this year?? Dixon can win the majority of those games that I see provided we play our defensive game. The sky isn't falling.