PDA

View Full Version : Should the Steelers trade up to get spikes?

xxxsteelernation
03-16-2010, 08:18 PM
spikes is one of the best college linebackers i have seen in a very long time. imo better than James Laurinaitis. We have already adressed issues to the holes. (execpt offensive line) so it's time to start working on the future replacements. for farrior and even troy.

Big T
03-16-2010, 08:36 PM
You wanna trade up in the first to get him? Or the second? We won't have to trade up in the first to get him...Maybe we could trade down to the mid 20s and get him but I'd be for trading up to get him in the second

K Train
03-16-2010, 08:39 PM
obviously maybe trade up to get him in the late first/early second. i would trade the #2 and #3 to nab him at the bottom of the first or top of second

the entire coaching staff is at floridas pro day....means to me they either want to move up to get haden or are taking a hard look at pouncey

coldrolled
03-16-2010, 08:45 PM
obviously maybe trade up to get him in the late first/early second. i would trade the #2 and #3 to nab him at the bottom of the first or top of second

the entire coaching staff is at floridas pro day....means to me they either want to move up to get haden or are taking a hard look at pouncey

there are 7 gators there.

K Train
03-16-2010, 08:50 PM
only 3 that interest me though lol

xxxsteelernation
03-16-2010, 09:25 PM
wow my bad i thought he was higher than he is mocked at. i thought he was in the top 10. But we do need someone to learn to take over for farrior or even cut time with farrior.

Iron City South
03-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Trading up isn't going to happen .... Let's deal with reality.

Zachintosh66
03-16-2010, 09:58 PM
um no...

tburg68
03-17-2010, 11:20 AM
The more I consider this draft, I don't want to see the Steelers trading down to do anything. Draft at 18 or trade UP. If they could trade up to get Spikes with second pick, I would be cool with that. I would be just as fine with Gibson at 52, and sliding Harrison inside eventually.

K Train
03-17-2010, 01:55 PM
spikes ran a 5.05 today...he may be there in the second

igor0190
03-17-2010, 02:58 PM
The Steelers better try and trade up to get an impact player. 7 draft picks are never going to make this team anyways. They just spent a bunch of money on veteran players that they must believe will make the team, so I see 0 reason why they wouldn't be thinking of trading up.

BlackGold4vr
03-17-2010, 02:58 PM
spikes ran a 5.05 today...he may be there in the second

That is O-linemen slow. There were several O-lineman that ran faster than that at the combine. Just what we need, a LB slower than the lineman trying to block him.

:clap:

K Train
03-17-2010, 03:14 PM
i doubt hes that slow. it was wet grass in florida today, this is ohio state fast track. i think like 4.8 but speed is never his game, he is a thumper and good in space. i guarantee farrior wouldnt run a sub 5 at this point and he was a 4.4 guy back in the day

JollyRob68
03-17-2010, 03:29 PM
We need all of our picks to add some youth. I would trade back to pick up a extra 2nd rounder and draft Pouncey or Odrick in the first. If Thomas is there at 18 they wont move. I think Spikes will be there in the 2nd if he ran that slow. We need to come out of this draft with (we have 9 picks) DE,NT,LB,LB,CB,SAFETY and on Offense OL,RB,TE or Scatback.
I hope someone signs Matt Spaeth and Daniel Sepulveda and we get additional draft picks for them. Green Bays TE was hurt in a motocycle accident (dui) maybe they'll bring in Spaeth.

--- Added 3/17/2010 at 02:29 PM ---

With a deep draft I think most of the picks through the 6st round could make the team.

BlackGold4vr
03-17-2010, 03:31 PM
i doubt hes that slow. it was wet grass in florida today, this is ohio state fast track. i think like 4.8 but speed is never his game, he is a thumper and good in space. i guarantee farrior wouldnt run a sub 5 at this point and he was a 4.4 guy back in the day

The bigger question is how did Haden run? Did he improve on the poor times from the combine? If he did he probably wouldn't fall to 18, if he solidified those poor times with more slow times then I'm not sure we would even want him at 18. :lol:

Haden ran an unofficial 4:39 which will ensure he is gone long before 18. Perhaps that improves the chances of an Earl Thomas dropping to within our range.

K Train
03-17-2010, 04:43 PM
We need all of our picks to add some youth. I would trade back to pick up a extra 2nd rounder and draft Pouncey or Odrick in the first. If Thomas is there at 18 they wont move. I think Spikes will be there in the 2nd if he ran that slow. We need to come out of this draft with (we have 9 picks) DE,NT,LB,LB,CB,SAFETY and on Offense OL,RB,TE or Scatback.
I hope someone signs Matt Spaeth and Daniel Sepulveda and we get additional draft picks for them. Green Bays TE was hurt in a motocycle accident (dui) maybe they'll bring in Spaeth.

--- Added 3/17/2010 at 02:29 PM ---

With a deep draft I think most of the picks through the 6st round could make the team.
green bays TE was the 3rd TE on the roster, jermicheal finley is a stud and donald lee was a starter...they are fine.

i want no part of odrick, especially in the first....**** that would **** me off.

spikes is definitely a 2nd rounder at this point, the difference between him and mcclain is minimal still imo, that just how 34 LBs are.

The bigger question is how did Haden run? Did he improve on the poor times from the combine? If he did he probably wouldn't fall to 18, if he solidified those poor times with more slow times then I'm not sure we would even want him at 18. :lol:

Haden ran an unofficial 4:39 which will ensure he is gone long before 18. Perhaps that improves the chances of an Earl Thomas dropping to within our range.

had was falling in the high 4.4s and low 4.5s on most watches....4.39 my ***. he was never gonna fall to 18, but we need berry or him to go to the browns, if one goes before the browns (who will definitely take either one) then we have no chance at thomas

Big T
03-17-2010, 08:46 PM
ESPN is saying Haden ran a 4.42-4.44...thats what i expected from him to begin with...and it definitely solidifies his spot as the #1 corner and the farthest he will fall is 13...the 49ers wont pass him up....

Now to Brandon Spikes....Ive been saying for months that he was going to run a slow 40 and it would shy a lot of teams away...I for one am thrilled that he ran a 5.05...It makes it a real possibility of landing him in the 2nd....I dont care what he runs, just like I said about Joe Hadens and Bruce campbells times at the combine...look at the game tape...He is exactly what we need next to Timmons...He's that thumper who will take on a gaurd and blow his *** up...Todd McShay's dumb *** is saying Spikes will fall out of the first two rounds...I cant even describe to you how furious I would be if he's there in the second and we dont take him...He is definitely a first round talent and like I said, Im actually happy he ran that slow *** 40...

in a perfect world:

1. Earl Thomas
2. Brandon Spikes
3. possibly trade up in the 3rd or trade back into the second and take Thaddeus Gibson

I would probably cry tears of joy if we came away with those 3...I know Im just going to have my heart broken but hey, I can dream can't I?

K Train
03-17-2010, 08:48 PM
i think i just came

Big T
03-17-2010, 08:52 PM
i think i just came

Would it be gay to say I did too?

darnik44
03-18-2010, 09:39 AM
I have Spikes rated 49th overall.

With Farrior, Foote, and Timmons, ILB isn't quite the priority it was a week ago.

Big T
03-18-2010, 10:39 AM

With Farrior, Foote, and Timmons, ILB isn't quite the priority it was a week ago.

Maybe not but We definitely need to get younger and he has too much value to pass up of hes there in the second...

tburg68
03-18-2010, 12:17 PM

We have huge needs at LB. Farrior is close to done, won't be here next year. I love Foote, but he is nothing more than a quality backup. The only capable backup OLB on the roster happens to be one of our starting ILB's. The most important part of a 3-4 Defense is the NT, and the LB's. We need Youth and a lot of it. Spikes and Gibson both would make me cry tears of joy.

coach
03-18-2010, 12:22 PM
I guess if Dan Williams was a real option in round 1 somebody would have been there. But, it sounds like the whole staff was in Fla. Does this eliminate Williams as a realistic possibility?

tburg68
03-18-2010, 12:29 PM
I guess if Dan Williams was a real option in round 1 somebody would have been there. But, it sounds like the whole staff was in Fla. Does this eliminate Williams as a realistic possibility?

I sure hope so.

coldrolled
03-18-2010, 01:37 PM
I sure hope so.

With the AFC North powering up passing games.

Wilson, Haden, Thomas are first choice.

if all the top tackles are gone.

darnik44
03-18-2010, 04:04 PM
We have huge needs at LB. Farrior is close to done, won't be here next year. I love Foote, but he is nothing more than a quality backup. The only capable backup OLB on the roster happens to be one of our starting ILB's. The most important part of a 3-4 Defense is the NT, and the LB's. We need Youth and a lot of it. Spikes and Gibson both would make me cry tears of joy.

I think you, and most really underestimate Foote. He's a much better player than Timmons, they just have more invested in Timmons.

Big T
03-18-2010, 04:40 PM
I think you, and most really underestimate Foote. He's a much better player than Timmons, they just have more invested in Timmons.

I wouldn't say much better...Timmons is 10 times better in pass coverage and is definitely a better blitzer....Foote can just play the run better...I would take Timmons over Foote every day of the week...especially since Timmons potential is ridiculous...Foote will be a solid backup for this team...nothing more...

tburg68
03-18-2010, 05:23 PM

You are NUTS. Start a thread, take a poll. Just ask if anyone other than you thinks that Foote is a better player(much less much better) than Timmons.

I am a UofM fan, and have been a Foote fan for a long time. That being said, if Foote was so good, why was he pretty much ignored in free agency. Why did the Steelers let him go in the first place. It is NOT just a case of financial commitment to Timmons. If that were the case Timmons would have started before year three. In hind sight, keeping foot and letting Farrior go would probably been a better choice. BUT, I don't remember to much outrage at the move last year, myself included.

K Train
03-18-2010, 05:35 PM
darnik i know you dont like timmons an i know hes not a great fit in a 34 but saying foote is better than him is just stupid. timmons sucks against the run but hes a great rusher and great coverage guy. foote is one dimensional and really not that good and never has been

DanRooney
03-19-2010, 03:08 AM
Damn Spikes just ran a 5.0 40 at Pro Day. Do you guys really want another Taunto Farrior out there? To tell you the truth, McClain looks very slow watching his tape too.

K Train
03-19-2010, 03:11 AM
they are VERY similar imo. they both can ball though. idc how fast they run. both are worthless in a 43 but will dominate in a 34 especially playing next to timmons, they would compliment each other well.

spikes will run again in april to improve his time, he has some injuries or at least thats the story

coldrolled
03-19-2010, 09:40 AM
they are VERY similar imo. they both can ball though. idc how fast they run. both are worthless in a 43 but will dominate in a 34 especially playing next to timmons, they would compliment each other well.

spikes will run again in april to improve his time, he has some injuries or at least thats the story

CLEVELAND -- After fairly glowing reviews from his pro day workout last week, the Browns need some catchup work on Ohio State linebacker Thaddeus Gibson.

They reportedly have scheduled a visit with Gibson on April 1.
The Browns had two scouts at Gibson's scintillating workout at Ohio State on March 12. That was the day the Browns were preoccupied with the signing of quarterback Jake Delhomme and the future trades of Brady Quinn and Kamerion Wimbley.

At his workouts, Gibson displayed the speed and agility to make a smooth conversion to outside linebacker in a 3-4 defensive scheme. The Pittsburgh Steelers had their key people at the workout -- including top football authority Kevin Colbert and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau -- and spent time with Gibson after his workout

andyg1984
03-19-2010, 10:35 AM
can somebody give me the run-down on Gibson ? I do not watch a ton of big 10 and the scouting reports don't really jump out .. what is it that ya'll like so much ?

coach
03-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Not sure what is out there but this clip from a couple weeks ago on ESPN showed a little glimpse and discussed his recent rise.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4965154

I don't see him getting picked at 18 and it doesn't sound like he will be there when we pick in second unless we try to trade down and scoop an extra second round pick.

I know there are a few Gibson fans who write in here a lot so maybe they have seen him more.

K Train
03-20-2010, 10:17 PM
gibson and cody have been my guys all year.

i didnt think gibson would declare but i would ****ing love him as a steeler

coach
03-21-2010, 01:45 PM
I think the questions become:
1. Do you take him at 18 or move down?
2. Do you take him if Williams, Iupati, Thomas and/or McClain are all on the board? All five players could help. Spiller could even fall to us at 18.

I think there is too much room between our first and second picks to get what everyone wants in this draft. For example, Pouncey fits somewhere in late first. As does Weatherspoon, Cody and possibly some from above list depending on who you follow.

I don't want to get hung up on the names of the players. I am not an Iupati fan and I might have a "K-Train like reaction" when Hood got picked if I heard that announcement at 18. I am asking about the strategy. If we pick at 18, will we fill our needs, regardless of which name is called? Or, do we do something that allows us to get two picks in second or swap up in the second while dropping down in first.

How far has Gibson risen? Is he such a prospect now that if we moved down 4-8 spots and lost him, that would have a tremendous impact? Moving down that far may leave us with picks like Kyle Wilson, Cody, Pouncey or Mays at the worst plus an additional/earlier pick.

Do you gamble or stand pat and make your pick at 18?

If you stay at 18 and 52, what two players are legitimate potential steelers (please don't say Berry and Pouncey or something that amounts to dreaming)?

Big T
03-21-2010, 02:52 PM
If you stay at 18 and 52, what two players are legitimate potential steelers (please don't say Berry and Pouncey or something that amounts to dreaming)?

18. Earl Thomas: I still think he could be there

52. Brandon Spikes: His stock has fallen(which im pretty happy about). I really think he could be there at 52...Todd McShay says Spikes might fall out of the first 3 rounds....I think that is absurd...if he wouldve come out last year he wouldve been a sure top-20 pick...I would love to get him at 52

tburg68
03-21-2010, 04:55 PM

52. Brandon Spikes: His stock has fallen(which im pretty happy about). I really think he could be there at 52...Todd McShay says Spikes might fall out of the first 3 rounds....I think that is absurd...if he wouldve come out last year he wouldve been a sure top-20 pick...I would love to get him at 52

We may have our choice of Spikes or Gibson at 52.

Zachintosh66
03-21-2010, 05:37 PM
I still say especially after we re-up'd Foote, that we dont need a ILB that early. But that is just IMHO...

Dream pick... Thomas
Realistic... Iupati

Dont see us taking a OT unless they can play G

Second round would love to see a CB or Cam Thomas

Big T
03-21-2010, 08:15 PM
I still say especially after we re-up'd Foote, that we dont need a ILB that early. But that is just IMHO...

Dream pick... Thomas
Realistic... Iupati

Spikes would be too valuable to pass up at 52 but if Gibson is there, he should be the pick...I would be extremely happy with either

coldrolled
03-22-2010, 10:03 AM

Dream pick... Thomas
Realistic... Iupati

iupati may be #18 and a center at #52

from colbert:

Colbert said wide receiver Limas Sweed, placed on injured reserve late last season for a non-physical illness, has been participating in offseason workouts with his teammates. "He's still in the mix." ... Colbert said the team is not interested "at this point" in bringing back guard Darnell Stapleton, a starter in 2008 who spent last season on injured reserve after knee surgery.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10081/1044705-66.stm#ixzz0iuj24wMP

andyg1984
03-22-2010, 12:32 PM

I'd love him at 52 too .. what are the chances of Singletary pairing up Spikes with Willis behind Franklin ?That is what I had in my mock, just because I thought it was cool to watch ... Now that would shut down Steven Jackson .. lol ..

coldrolled
03-22-2010, 02:40 PM
I'd love him at 52 too .. what are the chances of Singletary pairing up Spikes with Willis behind Franklin ?That is what I had in my mock, just because I thought it was cool to watch ... Now that would shut down Steven Jackson .. lol ..

Not surprising in the least is that the word came out on Sunday that the Steelers have a pre draft visit set with Idaho guard Mike Iupati. Iupati will be a popular guy prior to the draft as several teams will have him as one of their 30 players to visit with.

Big T
03-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Not surprising in the least is that the word came out on Sunday that the Steelers have a pre draft visit set with Idaho guard Mike Iupati. Iupati will be a popular guy prior to the draft as several teams will have him as one of their 30 players to visit with.

F*ck that....No more guards:nono: