PDA

View Full Version : Byron Leftwich: Steelers want to sign Leftwich?

Captcoolhand
03-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Rotoworld.com
According to the Pittsburgh Sports Examiner, the Steelers are hoping to sign Byron Leftwich after he's released by the Bucs.
We'd caution that this isn't a reliable source, but the move would make sense with Ben Roethlisberger's status in limbo as he awaits possible sexual assault charges. Leftwich was Big Ben's backup in 2008 and is familiar with the system, but the Steelers wouldn't trade anything substantial for him. Mar. 16 - 12:05 pm et
Source: Pittsburgh Sports Examiner (http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m3d16-Pittsburgh-Steelers-daily-digest-Tony-Pike-exclusiveCould-Steelers-be-eyeing-player-draft-day)
I thought he did pretty well for us when he was here....

LatrobePA
03-16-2010, 03:11 PM
I'd take him back, but would also take my chances with Dixon. Batch is old and fragile and should be dumped, but does so much for the Burg area I don't see that happening!

Troyisabeast_43
03-16-2010, 03:38 PM
What is the theme of this offseason bring back old Steelers from the past few years who were let go and then resign them to multi years deals?? First Randle El, then Foote and now possibly Leftwich. Just a very strange bizzare situation to be bringing every single one of these guys who left for money or because they didnt want to be here back on the team...

StlersGuy
03-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Bring him back he did just fine for us last time he was here

stLlRfn14
03-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Nah....But thanks tho. Ill take my chances with Dixon.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Yeah this is unlike any thing we've seen out of the front office in quite some time. Considering though that this is Tomlin's first offseason where changes needed to be made due to the poor record the previous year, this might be a sign of things to come in the future when a sub par year is experienced. Who knows, but this is by far the most active we've been in free agency, especially this early on, in a LONG time.

As far as Leftwich goes; when we got him a couple years ago he was pretty much a has been but he turned out to be valuable to us when needed and he played pretty well. Last year he did squat, so bringing him in this year as the backup might not be a bad idea if they are done with Batch. Byron could still be a serviceable backup for a team IMO. Dixon should good potential last year so I'm guessing Lefty would be brought in as an insurance 3rd QB and in the event Ben is out for any length of time for injury or otherwise, you have another option if Dixon doesn't pan out.

LatrobePA
03-16-2010, 04:17 PM
It reminds me of when I was younger and would meet a girl and share Ben type moments with her then try to move on but would always go back to her (now married)!!

Lets hope for better results from our football team!!

PsychoWard
03-16-2010, 04:33 PM
I wouldn't be mad at this at all! When we needed Byron he was there for us! He played very well when called upon, if nothing else the experience alone would be nice!

zulater
03-16-2010, 06:44 PM
I've advocated bringing back Leftwich since last fall. I hope it happens.

xxxsteelernation
03-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Dixon is more than capable of being a starter in the NFL. He proved it against baltimore in baltimore. He handled the hostile crowd very well. made some awesome plays some negated by offensive like penalty's. If people say that Tebow is ready for an NFL starting gig. than dixon is more than ready. Dixon actually had a better seinor season than tebow did. and even in tebow's best year had the same stats as dixon in his last season. Leftwich is honestly to slow and undesive behind center. yea he has a rocket of and arm if someone is wide wide open. This is the NFL you cant be a good QB and only take wide open shots. That's why he failed in Jaxsonville, and atlanta. and made my heart stop severl times while he was filling in for ben. Dixon made one bad read out of the whole game. and remember dixon didn't really lose the game the "D" lost the game at the end of regulation. dixon just had one bad moment amongst several good plays. and remeber arians and tomlin only gave dixon 15 plays' to choose from in that game. as a starter he would have alot more than that. and the fact he only had a half a day to even prepare for that game.

75Steeler
03-16-2010, 07:54 PM
I'd be all for bringing back Leftwich. I still hope we don't lose Ben because of this Georgia assault claim though. Leftwich knows the Steelers and seemed comfortable here. He and Dixon can get some mentoring from Batch and develop into a strong race for #2 should we lose Ben to injury or legal issues.

K Train
03-16-2010, 07:59 PM
let randel el play QB, we'll draft thomas and trade up to grab pouncey and spikes and that be our draft class and then randel el will lead us to a 2-14 record and then

locker 2011!

cmerrifield
03-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Bryon wont come back to be the #3 QB and Dixon is moving towards being #2. I would rather have Dixon be the #2 because this is the final year of his contract and maybe if he plays well, we could keep him or get a 1st round pick for him, depending on the tender.

steelspikes
03-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Dixon definitely showed something, but showing some promise in one NFL game is a far cry from being able to lead a team to a championship. Wisenhunt did a masterful job in 2004 with the rookie Big Ben; strongly doubt Ariens could do the same with Dixon.