PDA

View Full Version : Z-Hood

LatrobePA
03-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Pretty good article on Ziggy, love or hate him it's refreshing to read something positive!!

http://www.amarillo.com/stories/031410/new_news4.shtml

Woodson_DownUnder
03-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanx for posting Latrobe. Ziggy is ready to step up and is switched on which is all we can expect. Would be ideal if he can keep his spot as a starter while the D is healthy. #1 D beckons. :yesnod:

75Steeler
03-15-2010, 10:19 PM
That is the kind of press our players need to be getting. Thanks for posting that now I can tell my daughter that there are some Steelers she can look up to.

steelersbabex25
03-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Ziggy is gonna be great. Whether it's with the Steelers, or someone else. He'll be great somewhere.

Big T
03-15-2010, 10:29 PM
love or hate him it's refreshing to read something positive!!

I dont think anyone on here hates him...he's a good guy and all he's just not a good fit as a 3-4 end...he needs to be a DT in a 4-3 to be utilized properly...He can rush the passer but he cant stop the run....

BlackGold4vr
03-15-2010, 11:33 PM
I dont think anyone on here hates him...he's a good guy and all he's just not a good fit as a 3-4 end...he needs to be a DT in a 4-3 to be utilized properly...He can rush the passer but he cant stop the run....

I just love how people here pigeonhole players that can only play this way or that. There are many NFL players that might be better suited for another system but grow into stars in the system they are in. Ziggy has had one year. Don't think anyone was singing Aaron Smiths praises after his first year. Smith was so awesome that he started ZERO games his rookie year and recorded 1 tackle the entire rookie year. Some might have called Smith a bust after an entire season with 1 tackle. Is James Harrison the prototypical 3-4 OLB? I don't think he is, he is too short but that hasn't stopped him from being a DPOY or going to a pro-bowl. I think Ziggy is going to be fine and in a year ot two when a spot opens in the starting line-up some of you will be singing his praises and wondering what we would ever do without him. :yesnod:

LatrobePA
03-15-2010, 11:38 PM
I personally like him and think he'll be good for us....

K Train
03-15-2010, 11:43 PM
evander hood will start less than 15 games as a steeler and record less than 5 sacks

:markit:

i cant see when a player can just ball out, harrison is that player. Hes freakishly strong and what makes him great is his play against the run (something a MLB does) so i mean we have a MLB playing outside...he gets it done. Timmons not a good fit either, but he brings alot of other things to the table. Hood is NOT that kind of player, he doesnt bring alot of versatility in his game. Keisel does, hes not a prototype 34 end, and i wouldnt want him on the inside of a 43 which 34ends can usually do, but he could stand up and play OLB in a pinch

aaron smith was a 4th round pick, i wouldnt not dislike hood if he was a 4th round pick. imo the evander hood pick set the team back

Big T
03-15-2010, 11:52 PM
I just love how people here pigeonhole players that can only play this way or that. There are many NFL players that might be better suited for another system but grow into stars in the system they are in. Ziggy has had one year. Don't think anyone was singing Aaron Smiths praises after his first year. Smith was so awesome that he started ZERO games his rookie year and recorded 1 tackle the entire rookie year. Some might have called Smith a bust after an entire season with 1 tackle. Is James Harrison the prototypical 3-4 OLB? I don't think he is, he is too short but that hasn't stopped him from being a DPOY or going to a pro-bowl. I think Ziggy is going to be fine and in a year ot two when a spot opens in the starting line-up some of you will be singing his praises and wondering what we would ever do without him. :yesnod:

This has absolutely nothing to do with stats or stature....Its the way ziggy plays, his skillset, and things he can and cannot do....He is a pass-rushing DT in a 4-3, not a run stopping end in a 3-4...He can rush the passer but cant sop the run and that is the complete opposite of what we need out of a 3-4 end...the way he plays puts more pressure in the linebackers....Im not saying he won't be ok and im not rooting for him to fail....Im not one of those people who are going to jump on the Ziggy Hood bandwagon if he finds success in this systerm...and i will never "be singing his praises and wondering what we would ever do without him"....If he ends up being a good player, I will admit I was wrong...But when he doesnt do anything for this team, I wont say "I told you so" because you'll already know...:yesnod:

K Train
03-15-2010, 11:56 PM
if hood fails, which i think he will. i wont have to say a word, theres a good amount of people that will know where they heard that first. i have some pretty radical opinions sometimes, but i can look at the team from a non homer perspective and i call them how i see them. i had an opinion of hood long before we drafted him and that opinion didnt change just because i hated the pick

Big T
03-16-2010, 12:07 AM
if hood fails, which i think he will. i wont have to say a word, theres a good amount of people that will know where they heard that first. i have some pretty radical opinions sometimes, but i can look at the team from a non homer perspective and i call them how i see them. i had an opinion of hood long before we drafted him and that opinion didnt change just because i hated the pick

no doubt...

BlitzburghRockCity
03-16-2010, 08:46 AM
I think he showed enough potential last year with his increased playing time to warrant leaving the verdict undecided at this point. I'm sure he loved being on the field more, but at the same time he got thrown into the fire and just wasn't experienced enough to really be effective right away. He did show some nice flashes towards the end of the season, and given time to spend in the weight room and with the trainers and coaches this offseason and all of last year, he'll be better for it. I think he's got the skills to be a real good pass rusher and the skills needed to play the run will come in time.

igor0190
03-16-2010, 09:38 AM
The Steelers drafted him because of his work ethic. Guy is a very hard worker and is coachable. Time will tell if he can mold himself into a 3-4 end, but it likely will take several years. For now everyone is probably right about Ziggy not being a good fit in the 3-4, but let's hope a few years in the weight room and coaching will change that.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-16-2010, 10:01 AM
evander hood will start less than 15 games as a steeler and record less than 5 sacks

:markit:

aaron smith was a 4th round pick, i wouldnt not dislike hood if he was a 4th round pick. imo the evander hood pick set the team back

I highly disagree with your first statement and highly agree with the second (in bold)...

I think Hood will be a starter within the next 2 seasons. Mainly because of Aaron Smiths age and injurys i dont see him playin past 2 more seasons. I see Hood as a Brett Kiesel clone but with the potential to be a better pass rusher (which is saying something!). I like Hood for his athletecism for a big man and I think he is pretty versitile. He made a living as a pash rusher up to this point, but i dont think he is one dimensional. He spent his first trying to balance his responsibilty to the playbook as well as make plays. Now that he has the playbook under his belt. He can work on perfecting his position, like he said. Controlling gaps/men to let the LBs make plays and getting penetration when called upon.

With all that said, I DEFINATELY agree with the fact that he was drafted too high. BUT, I think for any fan worth his salt, its hard to be mad at the F.O. for taking Hood at 32 and not be EQUALLY mad at them for taking Timmons at 15. Neither guy was a starter or major contributor his first or second year ( assuming hood doesnt have a break out season in '10). Timmons is playing out of need, (and the fact he HAS the ability to be a play maker), out of position and not at a level worthy of a 3rd year 15th pick overall! I look for these guys to follow VERY similar paths to a staring role. Timmons flashed brilliance while proving he still needs work in his 4th year. Hood is going into his second year, should be fighting for 3rd DE on the depth chart and some signifigant playing time on the DL rotation to spell aging Vets. I think its a bit early to judge Hood and its judgement time for Lawrence Timmons. I expect (and hope) Timmons to finally break-out with Foote and Fox nippin on his heels for P.T. and Hood to take steps in the right direction in '10!