PDA

View Full Version : Safety: Earl Thomas Coming To Town

BlackGold4vr
03-15-2010, 03:20 PM
MONDAY, MARCH 15

2 p.m.: Scout.com's Chris Steuber just informed me that the Steelers have scheduled a visit from Texas free safety prospect Earl Thomas, perhaps the best ball-hawking defensive back in this year's draft.

Last season, the 5-10, 208-pound safety intercepted eight passes and returned two for touchdowns, both school records. In 27 career starts, Thomas intercepted 10 passes. He left Texas after his redshirt sophomore season. Some analysts believe Thomas can also play cornerback in the NFL.

Not at all a surprise. Would have been shocked if they didn't schedule a visit with this guy.

:helmet:

Zachintosh66
03-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Would love to land this guy... hes my draft crush this year! :drool:

JollyRob68
03-15-2010, 04:29 PM
He would be an Awesome Steeler and with The ravens getting Bolden we better sure up our pass rush and DB's.

LatrobePA
03-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Like Ben in a campus night club, I'd have a woody if we got him!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Would love to land this guy... hes my draft crush this year! :drool:

I'm with you on Earl Thomas......A healthy Troy and Earl Thomas would be a sick safety duo.....

K Train
03-15-2010, 06:31 PM
i <3 him

Ibleedblk&gld
03-15-2010, 07:18 PM
is this the secret guy wexell is tweeting about? i got a text that reads:

"steelers just scheduled visit with very interesting defensive back. sorry, pay site: http://pit.scout.com/2/913884.html"

Big T
03-15-2010, 09:13 PM
i <3 him

I <3 him SO much....

steelerfan11
03-15-2010, 10:17 PM
I <3 him SO much....

more than Berry?

Big T
03-15-2010, 11:04 PM
more than Berry?

Earl Thomas is a stud and I love the way he plays but he's not quite on Berry's level...yet...he definitely has the potential but he isnt there yet...Earl Thomas is great in coverage and may have the best range of any player coming out, he's a straight ball-hawk but he isnt great against the run...Eric Berry is great in coverage but also plays the run well....The steelers need a center fielder, a FS who can be that coverage guy and that ball-hawk mostly because of how troy plays...Troy is everywhere and can play the run extremely well...Earl Thomas is the perfect complement to Troy...Thomas is a realistic possibility, Eric Berry unfortunatley isn't...Let's put it this way, if Eric Berry and Earl Thomas were both on the board when the steelers pick, Berry would have to be the pick...

But i do REALLY love Earl Thomas...

cmerrifield
03-15-2010, 11:11 PM
I would love to draft Earl Thomas, that would be awesome.

andyg1984
03-16-2010, 12:10 AM
i think everyone's man crush should indicate that he won't be there at 18 ..i agree berry is on a whole other level, but the way it is a passing league another team would gladly take him anywhere from 10 to 17 in a trade up imo ..

K Train
03-16-2010, 12:26 AM
his value is going to fall between 10-22...theres a chance

andyg1984
03-16-2010, 12:31 AM
i agree there is a chance but imo it is real tough for me to picture 21 different guys getting drafted before him .. he makes a strong case for top 10, right?

K Train
03-16-2010, 12:32 AM
he makes an ok case for top 10....but if berry makes it to the browns, theres a bigger chance

andyg1984
03-16-2010, 12:35 AM
don't say berry to the browns - that is bad luck and could jinx us ... let them take bradford ... haha

K Train
03-16-2010, 12:37 AM
don't say berry to the browns - that is bad luck and could jinx us ... let them take bradford ... haha

more of a jinx for berry imo lol

Big T
03-16-2010, 01:03 AM
I dont want to see Berry go to the browns...but like you said it would give us a better chance in landing thomas...San Fran could take him but if Joe Haden falls to them he will be a 49er and i dont think they would use both of their picks on secondary...Maybe Joe Haden at 13 and trent Williams at 16...

and i just realized that you have it going that exact way in your mock haha...great minds think alike i guess

scudmissile29
03-24-2010, 02:21 AM
Let Berry face the strength of Hines Ward and the Speed of Wallace. He won't be the same as in college.

coldrolled
03-24-2010, 09:21 AM
he makes an ok case for top 10....but if berry makes it to the browns, theres a bigger chance

maybe this will change the order...

Texas QB Colt McCoy Has Two-Day Visit Lined Up With Cleveland
University of Texas quarterback Colt McCoy has a two-day visit lined up with the Cleveland Browns, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports.

McCoy is scheduled to meet and workout for the Browns on April 12-13.

McCoy (6-1, 216) did not throw at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis on the advice of Dr. James Andrews, who surgically repaired McCoy's shoulder, which sustained a nerve injury in the National Championship Game against Alabama.

A four-year starter for the Longhorns McCoy passed for 13,253 yards with 112 touchdowns and 45 interceptions, while also running for 1,589 yards and 20 touchdowns. He is projected to go in the second-round of this year's draft.

Browns president Mike Holmgren has stated his intention to draft a quarterback next month, though Holmgren said he wasn't planning on selecting one in the early rounds. A solid interview and workout by McCoy could change Holmgren's plans.

Captcoolhand
03-24-2010, 10:14 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Peter-Schrager-mock-draft-032410
Updated Mar 24, 2010 4:31 AM ET

Mock drafts change all the time but it would be interesting to see Thomas on the board come the 18th pick....

18. PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Earl Thomas, CB/S, Texas

If Iupatiís off the board at No.18 and Thomas somehow is still on it, Pittsburgh brass should take about three seconds before pulling the trigger and grabbing the Texas All-American defensive back. Thomas is a play-maker who dominated at the highest level of college football in 2009. The Steelersí defensive backs were woeful in 2009, never recovering from the loss of Bryant McFadden and Troy Polamalu's injuries. Through 12 weeks in í09, the Pittsburgh cornerbacks had zero interceptions. Thomas can pick up the slack. Plug him into Dick Lebeauís defense and watch the sparks fly. He and Polamalu together? Watch out.

coldrolled
03-24-2010, 12:52 PM

Mock drafts change all the time but it would be interesting to see Thomas on the board come the 18th pick....

do you stop more points with thomas, or do you score more points with pouncey in 2010

can hartwig play another position or legursky?

Zachintosh66
03-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Hartwig isnt going anywhere... sorry yall

Pouncey would get a shot at RG like everyone else... Eventually Pouncey would take over C. IMHO I still say #18 is tooo high for Pouncey.

Drafting ET would be killer but he wouldnt surpass Clark anytime soon, so at best hes a nickel back for now.

coldrolled
03-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Hartwig isnt going anywhere... sorry yall

Pouncey would get a shot at RG like everyone else... Eventually Pouncey would take over C. IMHO I still say #18 is tooo high for Pouncey.

Drafting ET would be killer but he wouldnt surpass Clark anytime soon, so at best hes a nickel back for now.

then we should trade up and get Okung

LatrobePA
03-24-2010, 01:54 PM
I see very little change to our OL this year, so I agree, DB or S will be pick #1...

coldrolled
03-24-2010, 02:20 PM
I see very little change to our OL this year, so I agree, DB or S will be pick #1...

i hope we get Weatherspoon. Fire up the entire defense.

then maybe Kyle Wilson or Earl Thomas.. im tired of CB's who can't play.

but i wanted alex mack or Maulaga last year, rey was projected at around #15 and he went right past us to the second round..

Zachintosh66
03-24-2010, 02:51 PM

But how much PT would he get with us bringing back Foote... but lately we seem to be drafting for 3 years down the road, not to help us sooner rather than later.

coldrolled
03-24-2010, 03:03 PM
But how much PT would he get with us bringing back Foote... but lately we seem to be drafting for 3 years down the road, not to help us sooner rather than later.

i know, but just for some spark.. he is energetic...

scudmissile29
03-24-2010, 06:40 PM

then maybe Kyle Wilson or Earl Thomas.. im tired of CB's who can't play.

but i wanted alex mack or Maulaga last year, rey was projected at around #15 and he went right past us to the second round..

wilson and thomas wont be around in the second.

i dont like weatherspoons loud attitude. we had a peezy but not many peezys come around and there will only ever be 1 peezy.

Zachintosh66
03-24-2010, 09:21 PM
i know, but just for some spark.. he is energetic...

not to be an ***, but the first thing that came to mind is how energized the sidelines would be... lol

I agree with your view or Witherspoons attitude... fine line between being a douchebag and being a fireplug a suppose.

DanRooney
03-24-2010, 11:59 PM

By 12 weeks they mean through 16 weeks our CBs had ZERO interceptions.

strong D
03-25-2010, 01:36 AM
ive senn a couple posts now saying draft okung but this dude is gonna be a top five pick the steelers arent trading up in the top five to draft anybody

scudmissile29
03-25-2010, 05:21 AM
When is Thomas coming in for a visit.

Captcoolhand
03-25-2010, 12:45 PM
When is Thomas coming in for a visit.April 8-9th (But subject to change)

SCI.com publisher Jim Wexell puts odds on the seven-player pool he believes the Steelers will choose from in the first round of the 2010 draft.

The Larry Foote signing put a close to the Steelersí free agency season. Of course, Kevin Colbert said heíll keep his eyes open, but told reporters that ďthe focus is going to shift more heavily toward the draft.Ē

We can do that. The Foote signing was a final piece of the pre-draft puzzle as we get around to posting odds on the Steelersí first-round pick.

From the longshots to the favorite, hereís what my instincts are telling me:
18-1 Ė Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State: I watched this guy all year and was captivated by his height, quickness and relentless motor. No, he was not a two-gapper, but I strongly doubt that Aaron Smith was a two-gapper during his days at Northern Colorado. He was taught, and so can Odrick. But the rest of the draft analysts donít seem to share my enthusiasm on Odrick anyway. And even if Mike Tomlin shows up at Penn Stateís Pro Day and shouts out encouragement as he did to Quentin Groves a few years ago, I donít see a two-man position receiving a second consecutive No. 1 pick, particularly since the Steelers also kept last yearís sixth-round pick, Sunny Harris, and hold him in high regard at the position.

15-1 Ė Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida: This is another guy about whom I raved all season, but that was when I thought he was a second-rounder. His stock has risen, and Iím not really sure why. He didnít have a first-round game against Alabama, and at 304 pounds ran a 5.27 40 at the combine. Heís quick to the second level, but rarely pulled at Florida. A very good player, Pouncey can also play guard, but I only see the Steelers considering him as a member of a pool of late first-rounders in a trade-down. I prefer they wait on Baylorís J.D. Walton in R2-3 if theyíre finally going to put a high priority on the center position.

12-1 Ė Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama: What? You say I may as well throw long odds on Eric Berry and C.J. Spiller, too, since the Steelers wonít have a chance to draft them either? Well, I believe thereís a good chance McClain will fall to the Steelers Ė and that they will pass. Yes, itís a surprise, particularly since Iíve tooted this guyís horn all season long. But Iíve also always questioned his motor. It was something I tried to repress because I admire his leadership, intelligence and run-stuffing ability so much. I think I just wanted him to be the perfect replacement for James Farrior. But Iíve been hearing whispers about him lacking speed. At his Pro Day he ran well, and told scouts that heíd been bothered by a hamstring injury since mid-season. So I went back and watched the national title game, and his lack of speed is clear. Texas ran five outside plays that shouldíve involved McClain Ė or any inside linebacker worthy of pick 18. He got to one, only because the flow took him that way and he broke quickly to break up the screen pass. But he was hopelessly outrun on two outside running plays and two bubble screens. Itís a wonder Texas didnít run outside more often because they were hugely successful. If it was the hamstring, well, thatíll be tough to prove. Throw in his admission of having Crohnís disease and I see McClain slipping. I also watched Brandon Spikes the other night and would prefer drafting him in the second round to McClain in the first.

8-1 Ė Joe Haden, CB, Florida: In watching Spikes, it wasnít difficult to miss Haden as he broke sharply on short passes and came up hard in run support. Heís a viciously physical cornerback, something the Steelers require. But, is he fast enough? That question arose up after the 193-pounder ran a 4.58 40 at the combine. In taking a closer look at his bowl game, Cincinnatiís receivers twice beat Haden deep. The first time he was fooled on a gadget play and recovered in the nick of time to break up the underthrown pass. On the second, he was clearly beaten but the deep ball was overthrown and incomplete. Certainly itís a small sampling, but the question remains in my mind, particularly in a draft thatís thick with upper mid-round cornerbacks. While Haden plays a position at which the Steelers have a clear need, and he plays it with Steelers-style toughness, the odds are high because someone may draft him earlier. And if heís not drafted earlier, itís possible the Steelers are worrying about his speed as well. (P.S.: The Steelers drafted my 8-1 choice last year.)

5-1 Ė Sean Weatherspoon, ILB, Missouri: This guy dropped on the tote board when the Steelers signed Larry Foote the other day. Iíd given several reasons why Weatherspoon makes sense for the Steelers, and thereís a good chance heíll be available at pick 18. But with two solid backups now behind Farrior and Lawrence Timmons, and two just-signed special-teams stars from the CFL behind Foote and Keyaron Fox, it would make little sense to squeeze Weatherspoon onto the roster for future consideration. So, why have him rated so high at 5-1? Well, I can just hear Mike Tomlin telling reporters on draft day that Weatherspoon will start his career as an OLB Ė a position with a hole on the second-team depth chart Ė because thatís where he played in college. Yes, Weatherspoon, like Timmons before him, was a 4-3 OLB, but he prefers the middle and thatís where 4-3 OLBs play on 3-4 NFL teams. This thinking would be swallowed whole by the media, as it was when the Steelers tried to tell us that Timmons was an outside linebacker on draft day 2007.

4-1 Ė Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho: At the combine, new OL coach Sean Kugler told Iupati he was the Steelersí No. 1 offensive lineman. And Iupati fits a position of need. Heís a 6-5+, 331-pounder who can not only run better than any other Steelers lineman, he has the frame to add 20 more pounds. Heís a monster and would help the Steelers with their short-yardage game. But Iupatiís shown to be a liability in pass protection. His supporters claim these problems can be fixed, that heís played too little football and probably hasnít received much coaching yet. Still, in my mind, a guard at pick 18 should be a sure thing, as Steve Hutchinson was at pick 17 in 2001. But the upside here is too big to ignore, and itís quite likely heíll be available when the Steelers take their turn.

3-1 Ė Earl Thomas, FS, Texas: Hereís a guy I was willing to ignore because of A.) the depth of the position in the draft, B.) his poor showing against the Alabama run game, and, C.) the fact the Steelers signed two safeties in free agency and already have Troy Polamalu at the position. Then I learned yesterday that the Steelers had scheduled Thomas for a visit on April 8-9. When I searched his numbers for my story, I read an intelligent write-up in which the analyst compared Thomas to Polamalu. Not that I take such media remarks seriously, but when I turned the tape on to re-watch Thomas in the national championship game, the comparison rang true. Sure, Thomas was run over a couple of times by the Alabama RBs. But as I watched him closely, I saw the quick-twitch Polamalu speed as Thomas came up hard to upend Alabama backs on a handful of occasions with shoulder-first dives at their feet. I also watched Thomas stop three breakaway Alabama plays down the sideline with a burst of speed from the middle of the field. I also watched Alabama Ė seemingly on purpose Ė avoid throwing at all to anyone covered by Thomas. The three or four deep Alabama passes were all thrown with the other Texas safety over the top. Nick Saban was not about to let Thomas beat him, because, as a redshirt sophomore, Thomas had intercepted a school-record eight passes, 10 in his two-year career. In the title game, he was used as a chess piece in the Polamalu mold: He blitzed, covered slot receivers, played deep center field, played in the box, and on special teams he was used as a jammer and later came off the edge and almost blocked a punt. Heíll play this coming season as a 21-year-old and is nearly the exact size (5-10.2, 208) as Polamalu (5-10.1, 206) when Polamalu came out. Polamalu ran a 4.40 40 at his combine and dipped into the 4.3s at his Pro Day. Thomas ran a 4.48 at the combine and will likely run faster at his Pro Day (March 31). Thomas might also be able to play cornerback, and could in the least replace Deshea Townsend as the Steelersí nickel back and third safety.

However, with Thomasís stock on the rise, and the prototype having been established by Polamalu (no safety shorter than 5-11 had been drafted in the first round for 19 years before Polamalu), itís unlikely that Thomas will be available at pick 18. The Jacksonville Jaguars, at 10, are becoming the choice landing spot on mock drafts for Thomas, after the safety-deficient Jags addressed their other main weakness by signing pass-rusher Aaron Kampman in free agency.

But, thereís the possibility of trading up, something Kevin Colbert has done twice. The first time in team history was in 2003, when the Steelers held their breath as the San Diego Chargers, picking 15th with a hole at SS after losing Rodney Harrison, traded down 15 spots to draft a CB named Sammy Davis. The Steelers then moved up 11 spots to draft Polamalu with the 16th pick. It cost them third-round and sixth-round picks, which was less than half of the points required, according to the draft pick value board. If the Steelers can procure a similar deal this year, or even pay a smaller price if the Jaguars pass on Thomas at 10, itís the move I expect them to make. 1st posted on 3/16/10

scudmissile29
03-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Ok thanks whats 3-1 odds, i suppose that is better than 15-1?

Captcoolhand
03-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Ok thanks whats 3-1 odds, i suppose that is better than 15-1?
no not exactly.

He saying that Thomas has a chance of being in Black & Gold next year is slimmer(3-1) than someone else at 15-1

scudmissile29
03-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Ohhhhh. well hopefully it goes down to 1-1 lol

According to NFL.com's Pat Kirwan, Texas S Earl Thomas' draft stock is "dropping slightly in the minds of some people" at the current owners meetings.
Based on this info, Kirwan has dropped Thomas from No. 10 overall (Jags) to No. 27 (Cowboys) in his latest mock draft. Kirwan now has Georgia Tech's Demaryius Thomas going to Jacksonville as the first wideout off the board. Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant falls all the way to the Jets at No. 29.

http://www.rotoworld.com/CONTENT/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NfL&id=5703

Captcoolhand
03-25-2010, 02:22 PM
I read that too. but don't by into it. film has proven themselves what they are and once in NFL things will change.

scudmissile29
03-25-2010, 02:28 PM
I read that too. but don't by into it. film has proven themselves what they are and once in NFL things will change.

True could be smokescreens

JollyRob68
03-25-2010, 04:32 PM
True could be smokescreens

I wouldn't touch Dez with a 10ft pole.

Big T
03-25-2010, 04:47 PM

though it is unlikely he will be, if he is there at 18, don't be suprised if he's the pick...he would have way too much value there to not take...obviously depending on who else is there...

scudmissile29
03-25-2010, 06:13 PM

neither would i dez bryant at #18 would be a waste of a pick.

scudmissile29
03-25-2010, 09:48 PM
It says the visit is 8-9 is that a two day visit, if so seems they are interested in him.

Captcoolhand
03-25-2010, 10:04 PM
It says the visit is 8-9 is that a two day visit, if so seems they are interested in him.
That's normal of anyone. Arrive 1 day, get settled, have dinner then meet with team for workout on day 2.

A course that's providing if he likes what he hears over dinner the night before....:yesnod:

scudmissile29
03-25-2010, 10:29 PM
That's normal of anyone. Arrive 1 day, get settled, have dinner then meet with team for workout on day 2.

A course that's providing if he likes what he hears over dinner the night before....:yesnod:

I guess that can be extended for 10 years then. :cope: