PDA

View Full Version : Foote back!

cmerrifield
03-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Terry Foster, of The Detroit News, reports free-agent LB Larry Foote (Lions) is set to rejoin the Pittsburgh Steelers. Foote flew to Pittsburgh in hopes of finalizing a three-year contract.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0iCWKSCnN

This is a great sign for Pittsburgh, he can start at his old position and Timmons can move to Farrior's and Farrior can be the backup.

LatrobePA
03-14-2010, 08:43 PM
We still need a badass in this years draft!! Foote is a capable B/U!

Zachintosh66
03-14-2010, 09:19 PM
he can start at his old position and Timmons can move to Farrior's and Farrior can be the backup.

they wont bench farrior just yet... sorry to say

Callax
03-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Foote is a smarter player than timmons. timmons has the plysical ability to be a great LB, but he took bad angles and was slow in reading/diagnosing plays...sometimes in the effort to tackle someone, he'd dive and take out several of his own teammates....Glad to have him back!!!!

SteelCityKid5
03-14-2010, 10:34 PM
hahah farrior to back up, are you kidding me? He'll be a starter along with Timmons and Foote will backup. I feel bad for Fox though cause I like him a lot... solid solid run defender.

Big T
03-14-2010, 11:09 PM
This is a great sign for Pittsburgh, he can start at his old position and Timmons can move to Farrior's and Farrior can be the backup.

No...Larry Foote is not going to be a starter on this team...he is going to come in and give us some much needed depth at te linebacker position...especially if James Harrison or LaMarr Woodley were to go down, we could kick Timmons outside and bring foote in at timmons spot...I like it

LatrobePA
03-14-2010, 11:17 PM
hahah farrior to back up, are you kidding me? He'll be a starter along with Timmons and Foote will backup. I feel bad for Fox though cause I like him a lot... solid solid run defender.

I agree 100% Fox is a starter for someone IMO!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2010, 12:19 AM
Foote will not be the starter. Its farrior and timmons. Why in the world would you put him outside when we have harrison and wood there already.

Zachintosh66
03-15-2010, 08:08 AM
i might get chew'd out for this but... anyone consider trading Harrison or Woodly? Most of us agree that Timmons is built for an outside rush anyways... just a thought.

Im sure we could get a decent pick or CB...

cmerrifield
03-15-2010, 08:23 AM
i might get chew'd out for this but... anyone consider trading Harrison or Woodly? Most of us agree that Timmons is built for an outside rush anyways... just a thought.

Im sure we could get a decent pick or CB...

I think it would have to be Harrison because Woodley is young, but I really want to see Timmons play Farrior's position. He has the speed to be great in coverage. I am not saying that Farrior is bad or washed up, I just think Timmons is better suited for that position then he is for his current one and we could use a running stopping monster for Timmon's current position. I would rather see that then trade an OLB and move Timmons back out there.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Timmons' pass rush skills are amazing, when we first drafted him he was regarded as having some of the best pass rushing skills of anyone in the entire draft. He could easily play outside for us, sure but when Wood in the prime of his career and Harrison still a beast there is no way you bench either one of them. Now what I could see is a similar situation that we had with Chad Brown where Timmons will play inside until Harrison retires and then Timmons will go outside to play opposite Wood.

DanRooney
03-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Farrior sucks.

SteelCityKid5
03-15-2010, 10:47 AM
I wouldnt be against trading Harrison for a corner but, it depends on the corner.

LatrobePA
03-15-2010, 10:54 AM
I wouldnt be against trading Harrison for a corner but, it depends on the corner.

What's his name from the Raiders....

DanRooney
03-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Foote is slow (almost as slow Farrior) and will only be used in situationally. I'm thinking maybe 2-3 series in a game and taken out in obvious passing situations.

K Train
03-15-2010, 11:17 AM
ideal situation is we draft gibson or graham and bump harrison to the inside.

graham is a woodley clone and gibson is like woodley and timmons rolled into one ball of OLB ecstasy

DanRooney
03-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Steelers wrap up deal for Foote

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 15, 2010 11:30 AM ET
One year after leaving the Steelers because he didn't want to be a backup, Larry Foote is back in black and gold. As a backup.

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports Foote, 30, agreed to a three-year, $9.3 million contract. That includes a $1.8 million signing bonus. The Redskins and Cardinals also showed interest in Foote, but he clearly wasn't offered starter's money elsewhere.

Foote will be a reserve at inside linebacker and provide the Steelers flexibility should they ever need to move Lawrence Timmons to the outside because of injury.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/15/steelers-wrap-up-deal-for-foote/

coldrolled
03-15-2010, 11:54 AM

graham is a woodley clone and gibson is like woodley and timmons rolled into one ball of OLB ecstasy

if we dont get an OL or McClain then

Weatherspoon, Graham or Thomas or Dan Williams

what you think?

LatrobePA
03-15-2010, 12:04 PM

what you think?

How's Spikes showing at Pro days??

BlackGold4vr
03-15-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm down to two players who I believe would provide immediate help and could prove to be anchors at their positions in the future.

1) Maurkice Pouncey - If you have a weakness in the middle of the O-line the whole unit will appear dysfunctional. Hartwig is only slightly better than Mahan was and gets eaten alive by the stud NT's in the league. I believe Pouncey would be able to hold his own against the Haloti Ngata's in the league. Even if we played him at RG this year before handing him the responsibilities of center and making all the O-line calls next year at least there would be some light at the end of the tunnel at center.

2) Terrence Cody - Yes, we have Hampton for another 3 years. Hampton is still one of the elite NT's in the league and does an excellent job of clogging up those running lanes. What a great time it would be to bring in his replacement to begin an apprenticeship under his tutelage. Cody is without a doubt the strongest run stuffing NT in this draft and would be able to start helping Hampton right away. If we draft Cody it makes Chris Hoke completely expendible. Teams normally don't carry 3 NT's and Hokes presence would only serve to impede Cody's learning curve.

Those 2 players are the ones who I believe would make the biggest impact. I don't believe a CB in the first round would even have a chance of beating out Joe Burnett or Keenan Lewis. I also don't believe a LB in the first makes any impact either. With the signing of Foote we now have some depth inside. There are OLB's like Jason Worilds and Thaddeus Gibson available in later rounds. Thoughts?

harpo
03-15-2010, 12:49 PM
I like the move. It gives us excellent depth at the LB positions. Foote will get playing time but he won't start. Timmons can now relieve Harrison or Woodley (at times) on the outside, to keep them 'fresh' for later on in games.

I also look for them to draft a LB (or two) and groom him (them) to replace Farrior and eventually Harrison. But, you never know what the Steelers will do in the draft, right? :-)

They are addressing the depth issues which hurt them last year. It looks good on paper but we'll see how it goes in the upcoming season.

igor0190
03-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Lebeau will find a way to utilize these guys. Maybe instead of the 3-4 we'll play some 2-5 or something. Timmons is fast and can be used in specialty roles like shadowing pass catching TE's like Gates, and Gonzalez.

tburg68
03-15-2010, 01:28 PM

LOL. You are not even trying to hide your man crush for Gibson anymore. I love this idea, and have stated it before. Harrison has the chiseled frame to handle the inside run, and still blitz from anywhere. I love Graham, hate Gibson(but that is only because I am a Wolverine fan). Either would be another OLB beast. With Wood, Graham/Gibson, Harrison, and Timmons as our LB set, image the blitz packages that DL could scheme!

--- Added 3/15/2010 at 12:29 PM ---

what you think?

Please NO Dan Williams, Please NO Dan Williams, Please NO Dan Williams!!!
If the Steelers draft a first round NT, it MUST be Cody.

harpo
03-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Lebeau will find a way to utilize these guys. Maybe instead of the 3-4 we'll play some 2-5 or something. Timmons is fast and can be used in specialty roles like shadowing pass catching TE's like Gates, and Gonzalez.

Good point. I see LeBeau utilizing them in the 1-5-5 scheme as he did a few years ago. :tt02:

franchise3
03-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Foote is slow (almost as slow Farrior) and will only be used in situationally. I'm thinking maybe 2-3 series in a game and taken out in obvious passing situations.

Yeah, just like Farrior is taken out in obvious passing situations :cursin:

--- Added 3/15/2010 at 01:01 PM ---

Those 2 players are the ones who I believe would make the biggest impact. I don't believe a CB in the first round would even have a chance of beating out Joe Burnett or Keenan Lewis.

Disagree. Patrick Robinson and Kyle Wilson are way better. Javier Arenas and Myron Lewis are too...

HUNT4SEVEN
03-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Personally i don't like Foote as a starter:imho:, But he should provide great depth and he knows the system:yesnod:, so as long as he can give Timmons and Farrior a breather every now and then i'm ok with it:tt02:

Zachintosh66
03-15-2010, 02:40 PM
resign hampton... check
resign colon... tendered, basically check
resign clark... check
get better on ST... check
LB depth help... check
find a quality CB...
find a potential RG...
find young DL depth...
Shoot Willie Gay...
Find Big Ben a g/f...

Offseason check list is looking good :)

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2010, 02:44 PM
resign hampton... check
resign colon... tendered, basically check
resign clark... check
get better on ST... check
LB depth help... check
find a quality CB...
find a potential RG...
find young DL depth...
Shoot Willie Gay...
Find Big Ben a g/f...

Offseason check list is looking good :)

We should be able to address the CB, Offensive Line, and Defensive line in the draft; atleast we better...but I'm not sure how many eligible female's we'll find for Ben in there :lol:

TampaSteelGirl
03-15-2010, 03:53 PM
I for one am very happy about Foote being back...now get Peezy back and spiff up the Oline and give Ben some salt peter and I think we are ready for the season!!! :yellowthumb:

StlersGuy
03-15-2010, 09:05 PM
$9.3 million, three-year contract is alot of money for someone who is not going to start... but I am glad to have him back

Steel Trap86
03-16-2010, 02:05 PM
The off-season shuffle doesn't look that bad so far IMO, but I would rather have Porter over Foote.

NorCalSteel
03-16-2010, 05:40 PM
wow no love for the linebackers in here at all. Farrior is a very good inside linebacker. I was disapointed when Foote left but Timmons is to good to sit on the bench. Timmons does seem to get hurt more than most.

I like the check list.... Ben found a GF.(she just didnt know it at the time) lol.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Just watching Foote's press conference again when he came back. You can really tell he's happy to be returning here and in some ways regrets leaving in the first place. He talked about getting ahead of himself and putting too much emphasis on being "the man" on the field after winning the Super Bowl. He's now much more appreciative of the role he has on this team and is glad to be back as a depth player and to help motivate and push the others out there, on a team that he loves.

Larry is the ultimate competitor; personally having him back is a huge boost for the defense not only in terms of depth at MLB but also just having a good ole familiar face on the team again. He's always been one of my favorite players.

Real Deal Steel
03-22-2010, 11:53 PM
We still need to take another LB somewhere in this draft. We need to groom another young guy.

75Steeler
03-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Just watching Foote's press conference again when he came back. You can really tell he's happy to be returning here and in some ways regrets leaving in the first place. He talked about getting ahead of himself and putting too much emphasis on being "the man" on the field after winning the Super Bowl. He's now much more appreciative of the role he has on this team and is glad to be back as a depth player and to help motivate and push the others out there, on a team that he loves.

Larry is the ultimate competitor; personally having him back is a huge boost for the defense not only in terms of depth at MLB but also just having a good ole familiar face on the team again. He's always been one of my favorite players.

We need another season like '08 where the players were more concerned for the good of the team than themselves. Last season there was an obvious disconnect on and off the field. I think Foote and Randel El will bring that back to the locker room. With a rebuilt special teams and a healthy Troy and Aaron Smith we should be pretty awesome this season. :crossfingers:

MattyVfromCT
03-23-2010, 08:24 PM
wow no love for the linebackers in here at all. Farrior is a very good inside linebacker. I was disapointed when Foote left but Timmons is to good to sit on the bench. Timmons does seem to get hurt more than most.

I like the check list.... Ben found a GF.(she just didnt know it at the time) lol.

timmons has shown flashes of brilliance but overall hasn't lived up to the hype. YET. remember, inside linebacker isn't his natural position and 09 was his first full year as a starter. perhaps with a full season under his belt he can learn the position and progress this season. hopefully anyway

JensK
03-23-2010, 09:52 PM
timmons has been playing out of position even at ilb. He would be better suited at farriors position where there is more coverage. I would love to have timmons start at farriors place with fox as a backup, and make farrior and foote rotate on the other spot.