PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger guilty of poor judgment

TampaSteelGirl
03-09-2010, 01:20 PM
I know we've beaten this subject to death and we won't know till after the investigation but this article is what this all really boils down to......

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10066/1040950-87.stm

Sunday, March 07, 2010
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

That latest sexual-assault allegation against Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger?

I have great faith in our legal system. It will determine if Roethlisberger should be charged -- let alone found guilty -- as the result of an alleged incident early Friday morning with a 20-year-old college student at a dance club in Milledgeville, Ga. Until the case is resolved, I'm presuming Roethlisberger's innocence. All of us are presumed innocent until proven guilty, right?

This is a great country, America.

But I don't have to wait for the legal proceedings to fully take their course for me to pronounce Roethlisberger guilty of poor judgment.

What was he doing at a club -- a college bar, by all accounts -- at 2 a.m.?

The man turned 28 Tuesday.

Please, spare me the e-mails that Roethlisberger is an adult, entitled to spend his time away from football as he wishes. I won't disagree. But I will argue that any public figure, if he is smart, freely gives up some of that right because he knows how much he has to lose if he ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is only trouble out there at 2 a.m. That is especially true for someone with Roethlisberger's high-profile status.

I don't know what happened at the Capital City club in Milledgeville and won't even begin to speculate one way or the other. Investigators will determine what took place and decide if charges against Roethlisberger are warranted. But I do know that any big-time celebrity can't be too careful in public even if he is accompanied by friends, as Roethlisberger was Thursday night into Friday morning, according to Milledgeville police. There's always the chance of running into a guy who, perhaps bolstered by alcohol, is willing to challenge his toughness. There's also the chance of meeting a woman who is looking to capitalize financially on his fame.

Sadly, not everyone in this world has honorable intentions.

Other high-profile NFL quarterbacks seem to get that. When is the last time you heard of Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Brett Favre or Drew Brees making the kind of headlines that Roethlisberger did Friday? The other sports stars in town also get it. When have the Penguins' Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin or Marc-Andre Fleury been linked to any kind of controversy? Or the Pirates' Andrew McCutchen, for that matter?

It's time Roethlisberger gets it, as well. It's time he grows up. He's no kid anymore. He needs to realize he's not just representing himself in public settings but also his family, the Steelers and his teammates.

I said it about kicker Jeff Reed last fall after he was involved in two alcohol-related incidents that resulted in police charges and I'll say it now about Roethlisberger, who has been accused of sexual assault for the second time in eight months: He has brought shame and embarrassment on the Steelers. We're talking about an organization that, in Roethlisberger's case, has invested $102 million in him and made him the face of the franchise. It's not hard to imagine the disappointment and anger that team president Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin must have felt when they heard about Roethlisberger's situation Friday. It's also not hard to imagine that anger turning to fury if Roethlisberger is charged and then perhaps suspended by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for conduct unbecoming of a pro football player. Goodell doesn't have to wait for a player's guilt or innocence to be determined to take such action.

But forget about what this incident could do to the Steelers. That seems irrelevant compared with what it means to Roethlisberger. Even if he isn't charged, he still loses. His reputation has taken another big hit. There will be damage even if he is cleared of all wrongdoing.

It was in July, right before the Steelers reported to training camp in Latrobe, that Roethlisberger first was accused of a sexual assault. A Nevada woman made the claim in a civil lawsuit, saying he raped her in July 2008 at a Lake Tahoe resort where he was appearing in a celebrity golf tournament. The woman worked as a hostess at the Nevada resort and said she didn't go to police after the alleged incident because she was "afraid of the consequences."

Roethlisberger showed up at the Steelers' South Side headquarters three days after the woman's allegation made national news and vehemently denied it, using words such as "false," "vicious," "outrageous" and "reckless."

The suit still has not been resolved.

"I would never, ever, force myself on a woman," Roethlisberger said that July day on the South Side.

Now, the man's word is being challenged again. This time, the woman immediately went to the police, then was treated at a local hospital.

The investigation continues.

No matter how that turns out, a lot of people won't ever look at Roethlisberger the same way again

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10066/1040950-87.stm#ixzz0hhVf4mzi

Steeler Vet
03-09-2010, 02:30 PM
I agree ....We have a proud franchise here that have gotten bad publicity last 2 yrs. Ben is a moron off the field and a clutch QB on the field. I wonder if this will change there draft from a guard to Tebow hard nose kid with a good character.

Big T
03-09-2010, 07:36 PM
I agree ....We have a proud franchise here that have gotten bad publicity last 2 yrs. Ben is a moron off the field and a clutch QB on the field. I wonder if this will change there draft from a guard to Tebow hard nose kid with a good character.

May I please have some of what you are smoking?

SteelerSteve
03-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I'll say it again...Tim Tebow=Nice Guy.....definitely not an NFL starting qb, or even backup for that matter......I hope this thing with Ben turns out to be nothing, because he is a hell of a player, he just needs to have a wake up call of some sort. Who knows though, some people can only learn the hard way....

SteelersWoman
03-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marc-Andre Fleury, and Andrew McCutchen all have one thing in common (at least according to the websites that I saw before posting this) and that is that they're married.

So Ben needs to settle down and get married, and stay HOME, or only go out with his WIFE instead of a bunch of drunk buddies.

Stlrs4Life
03-09-2010, 11:43 PM
When did Sidney and Evgeni get married?

Steelerlyn
03-10-2010, 12:07 AM
i think we all pretty much agree that Ben has won the Dumb Award for the last few off seasons and that he has little to no regard to the Steeler organization, the fans or his teammates but as long as he wins football games and brings home trophys, I really don't care that he loves ruining his reputation, just win the damn games. Last time I knew he was the highest paid qb in the NFL and when he stops producing on the field the Steelers will get rid of him

SteelersWoman
03-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Sorry, turns out the Sidney one was a hoax--in fact, everything I'm finding about Sidney is that he "might" be gay? Which of course would explain why he's never had a woman accuse him of anything...lol

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07179/797957-383.stm

EVGENI MALKIN'S SUMMER HAS BEEN MORE EVENTFUL THAN YOURS
http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20070124pd_pens_habPJ03_230.jpg
Evgeni Malkin laughs at how boring your summer is.
EN's best fan in Kazakhstan, Bolatbek Zhainazarov, found an item about Evgeni Malkin from what looks like a Russian celebrity gossip Web site (http://www.tili-testo.ru/news/504.html). Bolatbek even offered a translation:

"Evgeni Malkin found himself a bride

It looks like a 20-year old hockey player Evgeni Malkin, a forward of an NHL club Pittsburgh Penguins, has decided to get married. At least that's how the rumor has it in his native town of Magnitogorsk. His girl-friend is a 24-year old Oksana Kondakova who is at present divorcing her current husband.
The famous hockey player came to his native town from America during the off-season. They say, he wanted to see his girl-friend really bad. A Komsomolskaya Pravda correspondent found out who the girl is.
A 24-year old Oksana works as an administrative assistant at a construction company. It is also known that she is in the process of divorcing her current husband, a well-known local businessman. She met (Malkin) when he was playing for the Russian national squad. They met in a night club called The Pyramid. When Malkin left for America causing one of the biggest scandals in hockey in the past few years, Oksana waited for him for nine months. The love-birds would stay in touch constantly writing emails and calling each other.
They say that Malkin is pretty serious about his plans. Soon the couple is going to Paris. Who knows may be a trip to the French capital is a wedding present...
When asked if Zhenya had already proposed, Oksana answered that she would give all details only after her divorce is finalized."

So not sure if he went through with it or not, and I'm too tired to keep looking--but that's the info that I found on those two. But even if they're not (or one's gay) it still seems to be that the majority of them that were mentioned are married.

Prosdo
03-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Ben is certainly guilty of poor judgement and being a dumb ***. After the accusations he was facing previously he needs to be smarter about going out and who he is with. Crosby, Geno, and all them don't have these problems because they know better. Ben needs to grow up.

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-10-2010, 01:02 AM
Being a Steeler fan for 36 years like i have been is hard lately . Our proud franchise is about more than one player . You can not bring shame onto the terrible towel , and you can't bring shame on the Steeler organization . So much has been said on this subject , that i don't know what else to touch on . I want to be quick to point out that i am not judging , but that man has got to know how much the city and fans respect him . The thing that needs to happen , is Tomlin must get control of this team . If a man has 108 million dollars , and can not find a woman without force , then there is a red flag waving !
We , our team should not be in the media about anything like this . I'm sorry . Whether he did , or did not is not the point . The point is , that it is all over the media .I just don't understand what is going through his mind . I want this over . If it is a prank i will be so happy . If it is not send his *** packing . We thrived without him , and we will continue to do so .One man does not have the right to bring down a whole team . So sad that this could even go this far . I'm just venting because i am so sad about this . Tomlin has the key . What would Chuck have done ? Straighten up and fly right , or we will trash your contract . There is a lot to question about his charactor now . That should never even be considered from a franchise player like Ben . Come clean , and the truth will set you free .

Captcoolhand
03-10-2010, 01:53 AM
I lost respect for Ben a long time ago. When I 1st hand witness how he treated fans at training camp a few seasons back, I vowed to never see Ben the same way i have in time past.

I don't know if he did what he did or that he didn't, but either way he F*cked the Organization, the fans, his team and his life and for what? All I know is he deserves everything he has coming to him reguardless because someone/something need to kick his high minded, egotistical, better than thou, F*cked-up attitude off his supreme pedestal........

The good book of Proverbs state: The goodness of a man's name excess greatly more than that of all riches"

Hey Ben, what is all your riches doing for you now? Lord know your name isn't worth :2cents: right about now.....

Steeler Vet
03-10-2010, 12:15 PM
May I please have some of what you are smoking?

Sure lol

LatrobePA
03-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Roethlisberger guilty of poor judgment, and bad taste, McNutty is homely!

75Steeler
03-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Wonder what this 20 year old college student looks like? Come on TMZ do your damn job dig up some pics! :rant2:

LatrobePA
03-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Wonder what this 20 year old college student looks like? Come on TMZ do your damn job dig up some pics! :rant2:

I bet like this but with longer hair:

http://www.donnan.com/images/TC09_Bruce-Arians.jpg

75Steeler
03-10-2010, 01:14 PM
and smaller :boobs: :hilarious:

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-10-2010, 04:58 PM
What has me so riled up is this is not about one player . This is about a storied , and proud franchise , that some azzhole wants to tarnish . Mike and the organization needs to make this right , and really quick . I can't say who the real azzhole is , it could be her , or it could be him . Even if he is innocent he still needs to be held accountable for the shame he has brought on this proud team . Publicity is ok in the right context , but his stupidity is approaching out of hand . He could leave for all i care now . We will get by . We did before he got here , and we will if and when he leaves . If this is his charactor , then i would just as soon shred his contract . That will open up some cap room anyway . CONDUCT DETRIMENTAL TO THE TEAM CAN NOT , SHOULD NOT , AND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED !!!!!!!! Tomlin needs to make this his moment . How he handles it from here on out will say a lot about the direction we are going . Guilty or not , this is not the way we grew to be the proud franchise we are today . Well , of yesterday anyway .

Lunchbucket
03-10-2010, 09:56 PM
What has me so riled up is this is not about one player . This is about a storied , and proud franchise , that some azzhole wants to tarnish . Mike and the organization needs to make this right , and really quick . I can't say who the real azzhole is , it could be her , or it could be him . Even if he is innocent he still needs to be held accountable for the shame he has brought on this proud team . Publicity is ok in the right context , but his stupidity is approaching out of hand . He could leave for all i care now . We will get by . We did before he got here , and we will if and when he leaves . If this is his charactor , then i would just as soon shred his contract . That will open up some cap room anyway . CONDUCT DETRIMENTAL TO THE TEAM CAN NOT , SHOULD NOT , AND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED !!!!!!!! Tomlin needs to make this his moment . How he handles it from here on out will say a lot about the direction we are going . Guilty or not , this is not the way we grew to be the proud franchise we are today . Well , of yesterday anyway .

Well said,a lot of my hardcore Steeler friends agree, he has been a major disappointment with his lack of judgement,but we will get by with or without him.

75Steeler
03-10-2010, 10:28 PM

Agreed....and if the team hits him hard and fast then maybe the NFL will be more conservative in their punnishment. If he can keep his *** out of jail.

Blazedby92
03-11-2010, 02:38 PM
So Ben needs to settle down and get married, and stay HOME, or only go out with his WIFE instead of a bunch of drunk buddies.

Why would getting married solve everything it didn't for Tiger.
A piece of paper he signs that says he is married isn't going to do anything. The only way he is going to settle down is if HE wants too not because his fans want him too or a wife.

Plus who said he is guilty? They said INVESTIGATION not proven guilty. Now if he avoid this incident. This is his calling card that is telling him to get his act togther

steelcitysfinestXL
03-11-2010, 02:54 PM

This is his calling card that is telling him to get his act togther[/QUOTE]

:plus1: That and the new "Conduct Code" the Rooneys are sure to add to his contract!!!

xxxsteelernation
03-16-2010, 03:42 AM
now i am not a lawyer, nor would i want to. But ok so "ben sexually manipulated her or sexually assaulted her" there is no actual reports of exactly what he did to her. there is no proof wouldn't this just be like if someone stole something out of your house and you have your suspects, but you didn't actually see it, or can prove it so it's null and void? I honestly think that this chick just got pissed casuse she got dismissed because she prolly to ugly to hang with ben

SteelerSteve
03-16-2010, 04:18 AM
she got dismissed because she prolly to ugly to hang with benHave you seen Andrea Mcnulty??? :eek1:

coldrolled
03-16-2010, 08:18 AM
now i am not a lawyer, nor would i want to. But ok so "ben sexually manipulated her or sexually assaulted her" there is no actual reports of exactly what he did to her. there is no proof wouldn't this just be like if someone stole something out of your house and you have your suspects, but you didn't actually see it, or can prove it so it's null and void? I honestly think that this chick just got pissed casuse she got dismissed because she prolly to ugly to hang with ben

hmmm. if there are two guys watching the door. and ben pulled her in the bathroom by the hair and his beer as a club... the three guys would all be guilty in the court room...

if the girl went in first and winked and ben followed, the two guys outside are key witnesses to the lure of lust...

i would say ben has the best position..

ben is 241 lbs. probably scared the girl when she felt the reality of 241..:thinking:

xxxsteelernation
03-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Have you seen Andrea Mcnulty??? :eek1:

actually no i didn't until now, yikes, wonder what this chick looks like
maybe like this
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/xxxtobymac/mama-fratelli2.jpg

SteelersWoman
03-16-2010, 09:23 PM
[Quote/]So Ben needs to settle down and get married, and stay HOME, or only go out with his WIFE instead of a bunch of drunk buddies

Why would getting married solve everything it didn't for Tiger.
A piece of paper he signs that says he is married isn't going to do anything. The only way he is going to settle down is if HE wants too not because his fans want him too or a wife.

Plus who said he is guilty? They said INVESTIGATION not proven guilty. Now if he avoid this incident. This is his calling card that is telling him to get his act togther

Firstly, I never said he's guilty, (and I don't really believe he is, and I hope to God he's not!) but he's the star QB of our team, so he needs to be careful about what he does, and where he goes if he cares about his and the team's rep.

The key to what I said though is not what he will do (or would do), but what he SHOULD do to stay out of trouble.

An earlier post named several athletes whom you never hear anything about. Most of them are married, which probably means they either stay home, or if they go out, most times it's probably with thier wife, or because they're not "needy", they don't have lots of single young women hanging around to get in trouble over.

The point I'm trying to make is that if he "needs" a woman, then a wife might be in order for him. If he can't leave other women alone while being married, then he needs to be put away somewhere, cause he'd have a really serious problem--especially knowing that his name and career were on the line.

And if he doesn't want a wife, then someone who has agreed in writing and on video that what's she's about to do is being done with her consent might be in order...

I just feel that after what happened in Nevada, Ben needs to be very careful over how he behaves, and who he allows close to him.

If it's proved he's guilty, I want him GONE, and no one could've liked Big Ben more than me. But I do not want a man at the helm of our team who's capable of harming a woman.

However, if he's not guilty, then these women need to go to jail (as far as I'm concerned) for trying to ruin someone's life and reputation, and trying to get money that doesn't rightfully belong to them. That would make them no better than a thief.

Has anyone said that they heard this woman scream for help? Someone passing by must've heard if she did--I was just curious, cause I haven't read about that anywhere.

SteelerSteve
03-17-2010, 03:05 AM
maybe like this
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/xxxtobymac/mama-fratelli2.jpg lol yeah, probably

Lunchbucket
03-17-2010, 11:02 AM
maybe like this
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/xxxtobymac/mama-fratelli2.jpg

Kinda HOT, in a Moe,Larry,Curly kinda way!:greengrin:

DanRooney
03-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Ben 241 lbs? Haha. He was 240 lbs when he came into the league. I wouldn't be surprised if he was upwards of 285 now.

LatrobePA
03-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Ben 241 lbs? Haha. He was 240 lbs when he came into the league. I wouldn't be surprised if he was upwards of 285 now.

285+ He'll look like Max Starks soon!!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2010, 02:16 PM
That's the whole thing with Ben; he's a kid in his mid 20's with all the fame & money in the world. That type of power can do things to people regardless of how grounded even the best of them are.

When Batch had that "come to God" talk with Ben a few years ago in the offseason after his bike accident; things were seemingly going well. He was hanging out with his teammates, spending time in the offseason with them, working hard, staying committed, etc. Hence we won 2 championships and things were pretty decent in black n gold country.

Now we're at a crossroads with Ben where hopefully this scares him straight with his off field decisions. Quite frankly I don't give a rats *** if he's the perfect citizen, I don't care if he signs autographs only when he feels like it, or treats the fans like say Jerome Bettis did, or any of that stuff. Would it be nice, of course, we'd all love to see Ben relate to the fans as much as other players have. Honestly he's not THAT bad at it now, but he's just different than what Steeler fans are used too so they automatically think he's a terrible person.

As long as he produces on the field and stays out major trouble, then so be it. We've been fortunate for a long time to not have to deal with this kind of stuff from our players so it's new territory.

Is Ben going to be here in September, YES! Is he going to be the starter, YES! Are we going to draft a QB in the first 3 rounds to replace him? NO!

Nobody can sit here and say that they would rather go back to the Steeler teams of the 80's and 90's where we had great defenses, great running game, but sub par Quarterback play and we never win another championship again. Because if you want the Rooney's to do that then that's what will happen. Nobody can say Dixon will be anything more than average right now because we just don't know. There is no guarantee that we'll get a good QB in the draft anytime soon, and playing musical QB's is not something I ever want to go back too...20 years of that is more than enough. Ben is not that bad, he hasn't been charged with anything yet, so in general the whole Steeler nation just really needs to take a step back and chill. :greengrin:

BlackGold4vr
03-17-2010, 03:10 PM
That's the whole thing with Ben; he's a kid in his mid 20's with all the fame & money in the world. That type of power can do things to people regardless of how grounded even the best of them are.

I'm just not buying into the "fame and fortune" excuse as a license to be a pig or even a serial rapist. There are literally millions of rich famous people around the world who DO NOT use their fame and fortune as a rape "get out of jail" free card. If he is guilty he should go to prison and it should be for a lot longer than Mike Vick went. Vick's crimes while atrocious were against animals.......not humans! I wouldn't care if Ben had helped us win 10 titles, if he is guilty he should be punished the same as anybody else. Please quit making excuses for him and allowing fame, fortune, and immaturity to excuse criminal behavior. Not saying he is guilty but the the criminal complaint is FORCIBLE RAPE! NOTHING excuses that! Will hold judgement until we have all the facts but the excuses people are making for him because of his fame and fortune make me sick. What if that were your sister? Would you be as forgiving?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2010, 03:23 PM
You can't say he's guilty, you can't say he raped anyone. The allegations aren't even about rape, "officially" yet. All we know is that it's allegations of sexual misconduct right now. Honestly that in itself leaves the door wide open for almost anything the imagination can justify. If this girl is calling it rape, when at first she didn't, then again you can't read any more into it until we get definitive charges. Some media outlets have called it "rape" or "assault" but until he's formally charged by the courts for an actual criminal offense, you can't speculate with an validity yet.

That's the whole problem, everybody wants to crucify Ben right now for what is obviously poor judgment, and immoral, but so far NOT against the law. Until you prove to me that he's is guilty of something other than that, I'm not going to hang him yet. It's not right by morality standards, nor is a smart move to be in a college bar in the first place, but right now that's all that it is. I'm not saying I agree with what he did, of course I don't, nobody does.

I never said having money was an excuse, or that being young was an excuse. I was merely pointing out that all this fame and money that Ben has appears to be more than he is capable of handling on his own, and it's probably contributing to his "holier than though" type of attitude. I'm willing to bet that Ben was this way in college too but nobody gave a damn because at the time he was just another broke college student who happened to be playing football. He obviously has issues controlling himself and thinking ahead to avoid potentially bad situations.

If Ben is found guilty of an actual crime, then we'll deal with that when the time comes but until then you can't jump to conclusions when none of us knows anymore than what the media feels like telling us.

BlackGold4vr
03-17-2010, 03:53 PM
I believe I said at least three times that I am not saying he is guilty. What I clearly articulated was that his celebrity doesn't excuse what he is accused of. So far the only thing we KNOW he is guilty of is poor judgement. I, along with most Steeler fans hope that he is NOT guilty as charged. If he is guilty I would frown on any leniency shown him because of who he is. :yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Absolutely agree man, i wasn't sure if you were saying that I said it was an excuse or not so I wanted to clarify myself. The response wasn't so much directed at you individually but rather just a general statement that's been brewing in me since this whole thing started :) What a pain in the *** to deal with this crap when we're supposed to be excited about the draft and our new players in FA.

I too would frown on any leniency given to him because of his status, no question. I fear though, without a doubt, that if he is found guilty of some crime, he'll get less punishment than the average Joe would.

beaver688
03-17-2010, 06:05 PM
BEN NEEDS TO KEEP HIS PETER IN HIS PANTS