PDA

View Full Version : There will be no excuse for poor Special Teams in 2010

BlitzburghRockCity
03-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Considering all the new faces we added to the team yesterday, and the fact that all of them are known for being good ST players, there is absolutely no excuse for us having a poor unit this year.

A new special teams coach, a new outlook, and Logan with another year under his belt, I expect us to have a solid group that can contribute to wins instead of losses.

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-09-2010, 11:30 AM
ST should be better with new additions. Logan was kinda a let down last year, did great in preseason ,but seemed to have left his game there...wasn't all that special during the season...

A Pac
03-09-2010, 11:48 AM
that's one thing that always stumped me about the steelers: how their special teams could be so bad- even under cowher, a special teams coach. josh cribbs is a the best return man in the game and has been for a few years now. however, when he plays the steelers twice every season, he looks like the best ever. i'm not trying to rub it in, i'm just being honest. how many times has he kept us in the game against you guys? he was teh ENTIRE offense against you in the december game and it would have been a loss had he not been in there, even if the defense did play great.

TampaSteelGirl
03-09-2010, 12:10 PM
that's one thing that always stumped me about the steelers: how their special teams could be so bad- even under cowher, a special teams coach. josh cribbs is a the best return man in the game and has been for a few years now. however, when he plays the steelers twice every season, he looks like the best ever. i'm not trying to rub it in, i'm just being honest. how many times has he kept us in the game against you guys? he was teh ENTIRE offense against you in the december game and it would have been a loss had he not been in there, even if the defense did play great.

No offense but did Cribbs get you any of these....:6smile:

Even with a crappy special teams we've been able to endure..last year was well.... not good because we did not play as a team..we played individually and that's not what we've done in the past years...not sure why last year was different but now this team sees what that has gotten us and hopefully will mesh and play as a team. New faces and more talent is key but the most important part is playing as a team and backing each other up...Special teams does not a team make is my point...if the Browns had the entire package then they would be champions. I'm not trying to sound like an arse, just making a point. We are able to be weak in one area and have the rest of the team pull us thru...now with this special teams in place and a new coach we should be ok...I'm getting excited...Just wish Ben would stay home for awhile!!!! :yesnod:

A Pac
03-09-2010, 12:19 PM
No offense but did Cribbs get you any of these....:6smile:

Even with a crappy special teams we've been able to endure..last year was well.... not good because we did not play as a team..we played individually and that's not what we've done in the past years...not sure why last year was different but now this team sees what that has gotten us and hopefully will mesh and play as a team. New faces and more talent is key but the most important part is playing as a team and backing each other up...Special teams does not a team make is my point...if the Browns had the entire package then they would be champions. I'm not trying to sound like an arse, just making a point. We are able to be weak in one area and have the rest of the team pull us thru...now with this special teams in place and a new coach we should be ok...I'm getting excited...Just wish Ben would stay home for awhile!!!! :yesnod:
wow, way to take an argument that had nothing to do with superbowls and mention it because you have no defense. classy

TampaSteelGirl
03-09-2010, 12:27 PM
wow, way to take an argument that had nothing to do with superbowls and mention it because you have no defense. classy

Look I"m not trying to be a jerk..I also commented something after that...Please read.

SteelerSteve
03-09-2010, 12:37 PM
that's one thing that always stumped me about the steelers: how their special teams could be so bad- even under cowher, a special teams coach. josh cribbs is a the best return man in the game and has been for a few years now. however, when he plays the steelers twice every season, he looks like the best ever. i'm not trying to rub it in, i'm just being honest. how many times has he kept us in the game against you guys? he was teh ENTIRE offense against you in the december game and it would have been a loss had he not been in there, even if the defense did play great.Yeah, not much argument here...The brownies return game is probably their best if only substantial weapon and with how bad the steelers special teams have been(especially last season) that made even our games against the Browns to be tough games..hell I it seemed like just about every team we played last year ran one back on us though :lol:

A Pac
03-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Look I"m not trying to be a jerk..I also commented something after that...Please read.

i did, and you made some very valid points. i for one am interested to see how the nfl/rooneys deal with ben after being such a dumbass. i don't think he's guilty but do think that he puts himself in these situations. he needs to grow up and stop being a moron.

TampaSteelGirl
03-09-2010, 12:50 PM
i did, and you made some very valid points. i for one am interested to see how the nfl/rooneys deal with ben after being such a dumbass. i don't think he's guilty but do think that he puts himself in these situations. he needs to grow up and stop being a moron.

Ok...Wouldn't mind Cribbs being a Steeler on bit!
Cribbs is amazing no doubt, glad they showed him the money he deserves.Ben
has got more money than brains these days and I am also anxious to see how this all pans out. This can't be good 2 times in 9 months, I just can't imagine someone so high profile would do something so stupid especially in such a small college town...:duh:

75Steeler
03-09-2010, 01:11 PM

Agreed! :plus1: and congrats on Cribbs and his giant success when playing against us. I think this season will prove different as TG posted above. Tomlin is tired of ST sucking and is putting together a squad that can shut that run down.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Any one of us would kill to have Cribbs on our team, he's a difference maker and really the only guy on the Browns roster capable of scoring every time he gets the ball.

K Train
03-09-2010, 04:31 PM
i can think of one excuse....jeff reed making a ton of money but still putting kickoffs on the 10 to be returned

Ibleedblk&gld
03-09-2010, 05:02 PM
ST should be better with new additions. Logan was kinda a let down last year, did great in preseason ,but seemed to have left his game there...wasn't all that special during the season...

you know who else did great in preseason? wait for it.....redzone redman, yet everyone on here writes him off b/c it was preseason...logan was running against the same string that redman was...

anyway, logan didn't wow us w/ his returns, but he rarely fumbled, and he actually caught the ball...would you rather have ricardo colclough returning kicks again?

Zachintosh66
03-09-2010, 05:32 PM
would you rather have ricardo colclough returning kicks again?

*cringe*

cmerrifield
03-09-2010, 05:34 PM
I prefer Russell, maybe we could resign him to return kicks

DanRooney
03-09-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't think Logan was a let down at all. He had several nice returns where he got us around mid-field. I'd have that any day over 'doesn't muff' Russell or Carey Davis or 'let's run backwards' Randle El.

The only thing he didn't do was take one to the house, but is that really his fault or his blockers?

Ibleedblk&gld
03-09-2010, 05:55 PM
that's what i was thinking...why are we signing all these small guys (WR/S) for ST when we need more blockers...

steelersbabex25
03-09-2010, 06:29 PM
No offense to anybody on here (:grin1:)..but are you people out of your minds? After seeing fumble after fumble after fumble and starting the ball at the 15 yd line after every single kickoff, you aren't happy to have Logan out there returning kicks? He IS a difference maker and he makes plays when it looks like there's not a chance. I like the guy A LOT. I'd wayyyyy rather have him over any of the pathetic return men we've had in the past 5 years.

Ibleedblk&gld
03-09-2010, 07:02 PM
he's had his fair share of WTF moments, but i like him

K Train
03-09-2010, 07:06 PM
i like logan, he fumbled at the end of the game with no time left once and he was stripped by jacob hester and clay matthews right? they were freak plays

SteelerSteve
03-09-2010, 08:06 PM
No offense to anybody on here (:grin1:)..but are you people out of your minds? After seeing fumble after fumble after fumble and starting the ball at the 15 yd line after every single kickoff, you aren't happy to have Logan out there returning kicks? He IS a difference maker and he makes plays when it looks like there's not a chance. I like the guy A LOT. I'd wayyyyy rather have him over any of the pathetic return men we've had in the past 5 years.
I'm not really bitching about the return unit, I am complaining more about the lousy job they did covering kickoffs...Oh and K-train, I agree, I dont mind having Reed kicking FG's but damn! noodle leg on the kickoffs

Ibleedblk&gld
03-09-2010, 08:12 PM
he was stripped by jacob hester and clay matthews

that would be the main WTF moment i was talking about...when you have 6 guys on you, don't try to stay on your feet..just go down so you're not injured or stripped...correct me if i'm wrong, but that strip turned into a TD, correct?

Steel Trap86
03-10-2010, 03:53 AM

Maybe if the guy had some decent blocking up front during his rookie season, he would have been able to make a few more plays. Our Coverage looked like **** run over twice all year, the few times he would get some good blocks he would make plays and he only got better and better IMO. With the adjustments we're making on ST, I think he's going to have a big year, hell I can already see him taking one to the house against the Clowns now lol

75Steeler
03-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Maybe if the guy had some decent blocking up front during his rookie season, he would have been able to make a few more plays. Our Coverage looked like **** run over twice all year, the few times he would get some good blocks he would make plays and he only got better and better IMO. With the adjustments we're making on ST, I think he's going to have a big year, hell I can already see him taking one to the house against the Clowns now lol

I agree Logan needs another chance at this. He didn't have any blocking last season and the little guy is quick as hell.