PDA

View Full Version : Steelers bring back Clark and Randle El?!

DanRooney
03-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Steelers bring back Randle El, Ryan Clark

Posted by Mike Dunbar on March 8, 2010 7:05 PM ET
On the same day that the Steelers signed receiver Randle El and safety Will Allen, they've brought back two guys who by all appearances would never again wear the black helmet with the logo on only one side.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that receiver Antwaan Randle El has agreed to a three-year contract with the Steelers; Aaron Wilson has posted on Twitter than Ryan Clark has agreed to terms with the Steelers after the door on his career there presumably had been closed.

The developments are bad news for receiver Limas Sweed and free-agent safety Tyrone Carter. Sweed undoubtedly will be dumped; Carter undoubtedly won't be re-signed.

Clark recently visited Miami, and he was with the Dolphins earlier today, negotiating possible terms.

--- Added 3/8/2010 at 06:16 PM ---

What the hell is Tomlin doing signing Randle El? Seriously, that money could be used for getting some secondary help.

Big T
03-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I was going to post this as well...I dont know about Randle El...He isnt good...But like I said in a previous post, I think they will end up regretting it if they release sweed...

Troyisabeast_43
03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
It's not a bad move they need depth at the receiver position and now they have more of it with Battle and Randle El along with Sweed who just got sent a message today to either get his **** together or you will be cut. Now they can focus more on fixing this defense in the draft which is the main problem on this team right now...

DanRooney
03-08-2010, 08:30 PM
This just in from my facebook

Josh Evans Steelers sign Randle El? Tomlin is a ****ing joke. Fire his *** immediately.
7 minutes ago · Comment · Like

Devin Ballard ha.. thanks for picking up our ****
4 minutes ago ·

Rob Bardinas Hahahaahahahaahhahhahahahahahahhaahha
4 minutes ago ·

Troyisabeast_43
03-08-2010, 08:31 PM
The Steelers had better hope this thing with Ben blows over or they are going to have a lot bigger problems on their hands then worrying about signing Randle El...This assault case with Ben this time around in Georgia isnt just going to go away like the one that happened to McNutty did there is a lot more truth to this one I got a feeling...

DanRooney
03-08-2010, 08:46 PM
It's a misdemeanor offense anyway. The worst that can happen to him is a 1 or 2 game suspension.

steelersbabex25
03-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Randle El?!? What the @*#$? This is possibly what I least expected the Steelers to do..I haven't even been keeping up with this whole Randle El signing thing because I never thought in 23194097 years they would ever sign him again..the Ryan Clark part I like, though.

HUNT4SEVEN
03-08-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm glad Randall El is back:clap::clap: He wasn't used right in that west coast garbage, he will return punts for us also, I'm glad Clark is back as well:clap::clap: I am not to happy about Foote coming back but we need depth at that position and atleast he knows the system....Way to go Front Office:tt02:

DanRooney
03-08-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm glad Randall El is back:clap::clap: He wasn't used right in that west coast garbage, he will return punts for us also, I'm glad Clark is back as well:clap::clap: I am not to happy about Foote coming back but we need depth at that position and atleast he knows the system....Way to go Front Office:tt02:

Umm...have you seen Randle El return punts in the last 3 years?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Wow, an 11th hour signing of Clark means the sure end of Carter, if that wasn't case previously. Im wondering what the terms were on this deal but clearly they feel with a healthy Clark and Polamalu that the safety position is in good hands. A healthy Polamalu is the key here.

As far as Randle El; it's no guarantee he will make the team here people, although chances are he probably will. The starting 3 are entrenched so El will be competing for that 4th spot along with Grisham & Battle. Plus if you see the trend here people, all these guys are ST players too.

SnakeEyes43
03-08-2010, 09:34 PM
It'll be cool to see Randle El back in black and gold...but I'm not so sure we need him or that he is worth the money we spent. He was dangerous every time he touched the ball though. As far as Clark goes, I havent' read anything about a deal... did we actually re-sign him yet? If we did thats fine with me, he isn't the best at coverage, but him and Troy made a good duo back there.

ejsteeler
03-08-2010, 09:37 PM
We'll see how it turns out. If we do anything productive this year we'll be back here saying how good the moves were. Plus, big picture, like TG said. Special Teams......

steelersbabex25
03-08-2010, 09:38 PM
It'll be cool to see Randle El back in black and gold...but I'm not so sure we need him or that he is worth the money we spent. He was dangerous every time he touched the ball though. As far as Clark goes, I havent' read anything about a deal... did we actually re-sign him yet? If we did thats fine with me, he isn't the best at coverage, but him and Troy made a good duo back there.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/08/last-minute-change-clark-to-stay-with-steelers/

In an apparent about-face, starting safety Ryan Clark agreed to stay with the Steelers, a league source told NFL Network insider Michael Lombardi on Monday.

A league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora that Clark agreed to a four-year deal expected to average $4 million guaranteed.

The move comes just hours after the Steelers agreed to a three-year, $4.5 million contract with free-agent safety Will Allen, a league source told La Canfora. That move initially seemed to indicate that Pittsburgh was resigned to losing Clark, who was in Miami visiting the Dolphins.

The Miami Herald reported Sunday night that Clark had arrived in the city, and the Dolphins appeared close to landing him.

“Without a question,” Clark told the Herald of signing with the Dolphins. “That’s the reason we waited so long to take any (free agent) trips. We had interested teams that I didn’t really want to go to, and I didn’t want to try to make myself look busy by going to a bunch of different places.

“There were a lot of good offers, and a lot of good fits. But this seems like a good spot. So I’m praying (it) goes well.”

Evidently, things changed.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I personally have a bit of a hatred for Randle El..soo..

Prosdo
03-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Glad to see Clark back, and extremely surprised on Randle El. You never usually hear of a guy coming back especially under a new coach. Should be interesting. I think with the signings over the past couple days Limas Sweed is pretty much gone.

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Sweed is gonna definitely have to step up...Clark is good as long as Troy is around and healthy...saw in somebody elses post the signed Foote back too ,I cant find anything on that

Zachintosh66
03-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Sweed is as good as gone... maybe a draft day trade to Dal or Hou for a pick... wouldnt want to cut him for nothing, but may end up that way.

--- Added 3/8/2010 at 09:46 PM ---

Sounds like Mia's offer didnt blow Clark's socks off like he hoped so he said screw it lets to back to the 'burg!

scott0326
03-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Sweed is gonna definitely have to step up...Clark is good as long as Troy is around and healthy...saw in somebody elses post the signed Foote back too ,I cant find anything on that

Sweed step up? For what? to be the #6 receiver? He's gone, he had opportunities and failed.

SteelCityKid5
03-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Clark was the best resonable safety out there in FA. Hate him or love him, he was our best choice. Sharper wants the type of money they Steelers wont pay. Will Allen and Arnaz battle were brought in to help the special teams, which I thought were both good moves. As for Randle El, he will most likely be our 4th receiver. This makes me wonder about Logan. Do they keep him on the team for solely for punt/kick returns again? Unless the Steelers go 5 wide, I don't know where else he would fit.

Zachintosh66
03-09-2010, 12:58 AM
t'll be cool to see Randle El back in black and gold

I agree, I always liked him but he will prolly only be a former shell of himself... i betcha he wishes he wouldnt of taken the money and ran...

Im cool with the Clark move, prolly shatters my hopes for Earl Thomas tho. Clark isnt much more than an ave FS but at least we know what he is capable of and we wont have a rook or another FA learning on the fly...

igor0190
03-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Don't forget the Skins offence is and was absolutely garbage while randle el was there. They were trying to justify the big contract they signed him to and used him in all the wrong ways. I think he will be a nice addition and will likely be our 4th WR with a mixture of special teams, and even if Sweed steps up El can provide some nice depth still and hopefully contribute to special teams.

Battle was signed as a special teamer ONLY imo. Will Allen signed as a younger replacement to Tyrone Carter. That is how I justify those signings. If Will Allan has to step in at any point, can he really be any worse than Tyrone Carter? I doubt it.

Ohh, and El can bring some gadget plays too. God knows were going to need them for the games Ben is going to eventually get suspended for.

Stlrs4Life
03-09-2010, 01:25 AM

Foote hasn't signed with us yet. The Steelers stated that they have interest in him in bringing him back.

These signings today don't really bother me. Was looking fo youth, but believe they are doing this for depth.

Zachintosh66
03-09-2010, 01:53 AM
Combined Sweed and Grisham combined for 2 Rec, 19 Yds last season... I hope Randle El has enuff in the tank to surpass those #'s... :grin1:

Receiving
PLAYER REC YDS YDS/REC LONG TD
Hines Ward 95 1,167 12.3 54 6
Santonio Holmes 79 1,248 15.8 57 5
Heath Miller 76 789 10.4 41 6
Mike Wallace 39 756 19.4 60 6
Rashard Mendenhall 25 261 10.4 26 1
Mewelde Moore 21 153 7.3 19 2
Willie Parker 6 64 10.7 27 1
Matt Spaeth 5 25 5.0 9 1
David Johnson 2 9 4.5 5 0
Tyler Grisham 1 14 14.0 14 0
Stefan Logan 1 5 5.0 5 0
Limas Sweed 1 5 5.0 5 0

Black@Gold Forever32
03-09-2010, 01:55 AM
I don't understand the hatred for Randle El....He made on of the most memorable Super Bowl plays for me with his TD throw to Ward in Super Bowl XL vs the Seahawks.....I also have met El in person....Really nice guy and he evened signed an autograph for me.......

So I think its cool El is back in the fold with the Steelers even if he doesn't make the final roster........

Scorp
03-09-2010, 02:09 AM
Out with the new and in with the old. Must be the newest trend.

BlackGold4vr
03-09-2010, 02:21 AM
I don't understand the hatred for Randle El....He made on of the most memorable Super Bowl plays for me with his TD throw to Ward in Super Bowl XL vs the Seahawks.....I also have met El in person....Really nice guy and he evened signed an autograph for me.......

So I think its cool El is back in the fold with the Steelers even if he doesn't make the final roster........

I always liked Els too. Remember he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh but his teamates implored him to take the overblown Daniel Synder money. He is a good slot receiver. Not terribly fast but deceptively quick and is an improvement over the other options at #4.

Lost in the shuffle was the signing of offensive tackle Jonathan Scott, a 6-6, 318-pounder who started eight games last season and played under new Steelers line coach Sean Kugler.

Overall, I like these moves and am hoping that Foote comes back. Not as a starter but a seasoned back-up who could also help out on special teams. I think we sured up our special teams for sure. I'm starting to think that this may be a defensive heavy draft. DL - CB - LB - S won't be surprised if we take one of each. :2cents:

Steel Trap86
03-09-2010, 02:42 AM

:plus1: I don't get all the hate on Randle El, I always liked the guy and I was pissed when we released him. That Superbowl play was ****ing awesome and he played a good part in that big run we had. We have Ward, Holmes & Wallace it's not like we're leaning on Randle El here, and I think Tomlin wants to change up our style on offense a bit and he knows how well rounded Randle El can be. the guy knows our system and fits it, I think its a great pick up.

I'm glad we retained Clark too. The way I see it 25 isn't the problem and neither is our Safety's. The Steelers are still in good shape for next season, so don't go fixing **** that's not broken.

Tr305
03-09-2010, 05:49 AM
Clark was the best resonable safety out there in FA. Hate him or love him, he was our best choice. Sharper wants the type of money they Steelers wont pay. Will Allen and Arnaz battle were brought in to help the special teams, which I thought were both good moves. As for Randle El, he will most likely be our 4th receiver. This makes me wonder about Logan. Do they keep him on the team for solely for punt/kick returns again? Unless the Steelers go 5 wide, I don't know where else he would fit.

Clark coming back was the best move out of all these. I like that we are addressin st but randle el? ugh

Poor sweed lol i just hope he doesnt go somewhere else and get it together that make us LOOK BAD

steelersbabex25
03-09-2010, 07:40 AM
I never liked Randle El cause it seemed to me like he walked for the money..I never heard about this teammates urging him to do it stuff? And on top of that he went to Deadskins..just never particularly liked the guy.

darnik44
03-09-2010, 09:06 AM
I love both moves. Clark is a lot further along in the Steelers defense than any FS on the roster or potential rookie. Now he just has to return the the Pro Bowl form he played at prior to the Denver game he missed last year.

Randle El can fill a role, and help out on special teams. He's also a great locker room guy. I've met him a couple times, he's a class act.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Put your personal feelings aside and realize all of these moves were for depth and ST's. Its been said before on this board: "Resigning Ryan Clark and Casey Hampton doesn not mean we WONT draft a NT -or- S first!" There is still a need at those positions.

Im happy about Clark, EL and Allen. We OBVIOUSLY needed depth at S, now we go into the season with Mundy and Allen (plus Lewis as CB/S) as back-ups, Clark and Polamalu as the starters. You can still draft a guy like Earl Thomas at #18 and he slides right in at the no.2 FS and is competing for a starting role. I could care less about Scott and Battle at this point.

darnik44
03-09-2010, 09:08 AM
I never liked Randle El cause it seemed to me like he walked for the money..I never heard about this teammates urging him to do it stuff? And on top of that he went to Deadskins..just never particularly liked the guy.

The money was far too much to pass up. The Redskins overpaid him ridiculously. He was given the opportunity to assure him and his family financial security for generations to come. How could anyone pass on that?

cmerrifield
03-09-2010, 09:19 AM
I love both of these moves, I think Randle El gives us the ability for some trick plays, and even if we dont run them much, the D still has to prepare for them everytime he is on the field. He has a pretty good arm, or at least he did a few years ago. I just think he can help take some of the predictablity out of our offense.

darnik44
03-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Something everyone has to realize about Randle El is he on caught 35 passes for 558 yards and 1 TD in his final season with the Steelers, but he was a huge part of their success that year. He's a role player who always seemed to come through when needed. In fact, I felt he was the MVP of Super Bowl XL.

igor0190
03-09-2010, 10:01 AM
The money was far too much to pass up. The Redskins overpaid him ridiculously. He was given the opportunity to assure him and his family financial security for generations to come. How could anyone pass on that?

:plus1:

The fact he even had a second thought on leaving Pittsburgh and going to Washington shows his loyalty. They probably offered him double what the Steelers would have paid him and I'm do not believe I am exaggerating.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-09-2010, 10:07 AM
We got 5 new players yesterday and all of them came a very fair price with the exception of Clark who did get a nice size deal. Considering though how much Troy makes and the other top flight Safeties in the league, his contract isn't as bad.

As far as Randle El; he'll be a role player, they'll use him in some trick play situations (or we could if Arians would ever think outside the box). All these players we brought in are going to be role players. Carter will be the starter again but Allen will be a nice replacement for Carter. The new lineman should be able to compete for a starting job in camp, and Battle will be in competition with El, & Grisham to round out the WR corp. Again, all these guys are ST aces too so there should be no excuse for us having bad ST this year.

Something everyone has to realize about Randle El is he on caught 35 passes for 558 yards and 1 TD in his final season with the Steelers, but he was a huge part of their success that year. He's a role player who always seemed to come through when needed. In fact, I felt he was the MVP of Super Bowl XL.

Hines was the MVP :yellowthumb:

SteelerRush
03-09-2010, 10:15 AM
I also like having Randle El back. If nothing else it gives us a veteran who knows our system and is not afraid to block in the running game. He can also help with special teams. I don't blame anyone for taking the money Snyder pays free agents. Battle was strictly for ST and Allen will replace Tyrone Carter but will also get on the field for ST. Ryan Clark plays great when Troy is healthy but if a Safety or CB is there for the pick at 18 we need to pick one of them. At least now we shored up some depth on defense to make the pick in the first and second rounds more flexible.

Sir Blitzelot
03-09-2010, 10:58 AM
It's nice to have Randle El back, he was one of my favorite players when he was here. It will be interesting to see how he will be used in the offense. I'm guessing he will primarily used as a slot receiver, and as the quarterback in the wildcat formation.

The great thing about Randle El is his ability to play a number of different positions. That is what makes him such a valuable asset to a football team.

TampaSteelGirl
03-09-2010, 11:21 AM
I"m pretty happy about these decisions here...Now was Randel El WAY over paid by the Skins....heck ya but he did do a good job for us as a Steeler..I'd like to see him come back..happy about Clark. Mixed feelings about Sweed, we can't have a receiver that can't concentrate and can't catch but how can we just hold onto him HOPING he'll get better really!! Carter...bye bye!!

This is getting interesting! :thinking:

xxxsteelernation
03-09-2010, 11:19 PM
We don’t need to change much, we need to stay steady. That’s what we do. The Pittsburgh Steelers don’t make the big splash, they never win the offseason Super Bowl, but they won six of the real ones and that is all that counts.

My question is how many teams that go out and pay the high price for the big name players actually win a super bowl.
what are the percetages and is it worth paying that much for that player.
Steelers go out and get the players they need at a resonable price and win super bowls.

Captcoolhand
03-11-2010, 06:22 PM
When a member of the Miami Dolphins' staff delivered Ryan Clark to his hotel following an afternoon visit to the team's facility Sunday, both sides agreed Clark would extend his trip another night to work toward finishing a contract with the former free agent.
The team needed time to negotiate over the telephone with Clark's agent, Joel Turner, who wasn't in town. Clark also wanted to have a few talks with Turner on his own.
It was standard procedure: The negotiations had begun, and a preliminary offer was on the table. Clark was scheduled to go to dinner with the defensive backs coaches, and his agent was set to continue talking numbers with the team's negotiators.
What happened during the following hour, according to team sources that corroborated the events, would result in a strange conclusion that has sent the Dolphins' personnel department back to the drawing boards to find a new starting safety.
The conclusion, in a nutshell, is quite simple: Clark left South Florida to re-sign with the Steelers for a four-year contract worth $14 million. But that's not the strange part.
The Dolphins never had an opportunity to give a second offer, the sources said. Instead, while they were still on the phone negotiating with the agent, someone in the building received a text message from a person in Pittsburgh.
Clark had agreed to terms with the Steelers, the text read. So how did it happen?
Apparently, Clark made the quick decision based on the Dolphins' inquisitions during the initial negotiating process with his agent -- questions that are often used in any negotiation when trying to leverage a fair price.
Clark, 30, missed the final half of the 2007 season after his spleen and gall bladder needed to be removed because a sickle-cell trait was aggravated due to high altitude when the Steelers were playing in Denver.
During his recovery, Clark lost more than 30 pounds because of a serious blood disorder. Last season, he didn't play against Denver so he wouldn't aggravate the injury.
But when the Dolphins began to express concern to his agent about Clark's health and age during those preliminary negotiations, Clark's agent then took those comments back to the safety.
The Dolphins still contend they certainly know Clark as a player (they've been scouting him since college), but they also felt it necessary to ask those questions of his agent. It was nothing unusual, sources said.
The following day, after abruptly leaving South Florida, Clark told a Pittsburgh television station, KDVR, that he didn't like the way Miami handled the negotiations.
``They told my agent, `Look, we just don't know this guy. After we evaluate him more out there with us, maybe we'll feel different about it.' But I just figured, if this is how they feel, these things aren't going to change about me overnight,'' Clark said.
That's where he might have been wrong. Something was about to change overnight. In the case of any negotiations, the first offer is rarely the only offer. This was no different.
``The initial offer and the deal he took were almost identical,'' one source said. ``Our first offer wasn't quite as much as his new contract in Pittsburgh. The second offer would have been higher.''
Had Clark hung around long enough to continue the negotiations (he was scheduled to have dinner Sunday night with the team's defensive backs coaches, but he decided to take Pittsburgh's offer within an hour of leaving the team's facility), the safety stood to earn a deal package worth $2 million more than the one he signed, a source said.
But the Dolphins must now move on.
The harsh road bump Clark's hasty departure has caused the team is a tough setback, but the Dolphins have since entered into a regrouping phase for several days, nowreevaluating how to address the safety position.
The team believes the first stage of free agency has concluded, and it is now in the stages of deciding whether to address the position through free agency or the draft. Miami is weighing all factors -- from a select number of restricted players to a thin, ordinary crop of remaining unrestricted players.
Those decisions are likely to come to light over the course of the next week.
He knew who the real champions are! :yesnod:

B&G4EVER
03-11-2010, 11:00 PM
i think its a great idea to bring back those two that means more trick plays and some support in the secondary

strong D
03-13-2010, 01:02 AM
maybe its just me i understand troy coming back will help out the secondary but damn they need help at the corner position im a big ike supporter but last yr between him and gay it was pathetic

Forbes1960
03-16-2010, 02:27 PM
I am in agreement that Randel El was a mistake. He is not an effective receiver now and nor was he when we had him. His only claim to fame was his TD pass to Hines in the 2005 Super Bowl. That's it ! If he does make the team, Sweed is a goner. I think that also would be a mistake.

LatrobePA
03-16-2010, 02:49 PM
I agree with Sweed give him another year...ARE will contribute right now, is he a Pro Bowler, NO...But he'll give us depth!!