PDA

View Full Version : What do we do at the QB position?

Stairwayto7
03-08-2010, 08:07 PM
I wanted to ask this question prior to Friday, but that didn`t workout. Anyway, with Bens future in limbo, and the fact that Batch is probably finished, do we sign a veteran, or stick with Dixon, and draft an inexperienced back up to Dixon?

I think we need a veteran backup right now, before there all gone. There is a chance that Ben could go to jail, could be suspended, or worse the Rooneys could be done with his reputation and baggage and let him go, which I doubt they would without being found guilty.We need a veteran QB now, this is too good a team to go to waste, worrying about the most important position. Batch has been a steady backup, but injuries the last two season has ended his season prematurley. We need to send Batch on his way, try Dixon as a number 2, but bring in a older vet. Just my opini:imho:on

Troyisabeast_43
03-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Bring an older guy for sure but as it stands now the job should be Dixon's to lose. He proved his worth albeit one game on the Sunday night in Baltimore on National TV that he is more then ready to handle the position and carry the load if need be. The way things are looking now for the Steelers and Ben Dennis Dixon could be starting the first 4 games of the season if Ben ends up getting a suspension or some kind of penalty for this. Personally I love Ben as a QB and he is very responsible for bringing the Steelers Lombardi Number 5 and 6 but if they told me tomorrow that the Steelers traded him to the St Louis Rams this season for their number 1 overall pick this year, and 2nd and 3rd round picks as well along with another first rounder next year I would have a hard time saying I have a problem with it...

Big T
03-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Ben wont be suspended....he will be the starter week 1...And he's not going to be traded

75Steeler
03-08-2010, 08:46 PM
I think they can develop Dixon into the #1 slot if needed. I hope that isn't the case though. But here we go fans another season with a B/S distraction hanging over our heads. Last years lawsuit isn't even disposed of yet and now this. :banging:

DanRooney
03-08-2010, 08:47 PM
I would not trade Ben for any combination of first round picks or Peyton Manning himself.

cmerrifield
03-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Maybe thats why the brought in Randle EL for the QB position :lol:

75Steeler
03-08-2010, 09:03 PM

:rofl: I just can't wait till this stuff is dealt with and we can put this behind us.

Steeler Vet
03-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Thats why I hate to say it but I like Tebow. Needs some time but would be a awsome QB for the steelers class act and a tough kid needs time and coaching.

HUNT4SEVEN
03-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Randle El threw a better pass for a touchdown in superbowl 40 than Ben did:lol: Ben really has screwed the organization and himself what a @$$ hole, how stupid can u be, i hope the Commish suspends his @$$ for 4 games U have to send this @$$ hole a message on how to act in public, I believe Dixon can start the season off for us, There are no veteran QB's worth a dime out there... so u have to draft one and groom em...

SnakeEyes43
03-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Our 100 million dollar, 28 year old, two time Super Bowl winning quarterback is going no where. So far there is not enough evidence agaisnt him in either case for him to be suspended. He WILL be the starter come week 1 and it will stay that way. Drop it people, Ben isn't going anywhere. :banging:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Ben's future in limbo? Cleve old buddy!! :lol: Ben is not going anywhere, the Steelers are not going to trade him, he's not going to go to jail, etc etc. He is the starting QB, he will be the Starting QB come September. The Rooney's and Tomlin will have a long meeting with him to set him straight. Allegations are just that right now, the Steelers won't give up on him just yet.

He may get a 2 game suspension here, he may not, or the NFL may let the Rooney's handle it depending on how this turns out. It's too early to tell anything yet.

Having said that Dixon will be number 2, Batch will probably come back for the league minimum at #3.

Troyisabeast_43
03-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Randle El threw a better pass for a touchdown in superbowl 40 than Ben did:lol: Ben really has screwed the organization and himself what a @$$ hole, how stupid can u be, i hope the Commish suspends his @$$ for 4 games U have to send this @$$ hole a message on how to act in public, I believe Dixon can start the season off for us, There are no veteran QB's worth a dime out there... so u have to draft one and groom em...

I agree with you 100 percent SixBurgh. As a diehard Steelers fan for over 25 years I am greatful for what Ben has done as the QB of the Steelers the last 6 years or so Ben has been a godsend and delivered this franchise and Steelers Nation two more Lombardi Trophy's. But it still doesnt give him an excuse for going out and talking down to people,thinking he can use and abuse women,and thinking he is completely invincible to everything around him and can get away with anything he wants. Ben's image and choir boy act on the field and in the media when you see him say and do things that make him look like a "great guy" are done with. His credibility is totally shot now and he is becoming exposed more and more as being a complete and total fraud...

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2010, 09:56 PM
I heard people on Sirius call in today calling for the Steelers to trade Ben for a couple 1st round picks or worse yet, just release him. Honestly, Ben is no choir boy, he's got a problem with basically thinking he's untouchable. He needs to grow up, we all know that, but lets remember the Steelers are not going to look elsewhere for a QB or anything else. He'll be here in September and hopefully get his act together. Ben is the starter, period.

Troyisabeast_43
03-08-2010, 10:02 PM
I heard people on Sirius call in today calling for the Steelers to trade Ben for a couple 1st round picks or worse yet, just release him. Honestly, Ben is no choir boy, he's got a problem with basically thinking he's untouchable. He needs to grow up, we all know that, but lets remember the Steelers are not going to look elsewhere for a QB or anything else. He'll be here in September and hopefully get his act together. Ben is the starter, period.

We all know the Steelers arent going to do that either TG. It would take something very very drastic for the Steelers to even consider releasing or trading Ben. However, this act in Georgia for Ben needs to be and should be the last straw for him before action should be taken on him by the league in terms of suspension and whatever else needs to be done.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Totally agree man, Ben does need to change his mindset on how the world views him and vice versa. He's fortunate to be a NFL QB and a superstar one at that, and he needs to act like it.

At the same time, I just think we're all alittle too jumpy right now and ready to hang Ben from a flag pole when we don't know anything of what may or may not have happened.

If he's found guilty of some crime then I'll be there with everyone else saying something needs to be done, but right now there's no reason to think anything just yet.

lloydfan4life
03-08-2010, 10:11 PM
I agree with you 100 percent SixBurgh. As a diehard Steelers fan for over 25 years I am greatful for what Ben has done as the QB of the Steelers the last 6 years or so Ben has been a godsend and delivered this franchise and Steelers Nation two more Lombardi Trophy's. But it still doesnt give him an excuse for going out and talking down to people,thinking he can use and abuse women,and thinking he is completely invincible to everything around him and can get away with anything he wants. Ben's image and choir boy act on the field and in the media when you see him say and do things that make him look like a "great guy" are done with. His credibility is totally shot now and he is becoming exposed more and more as being a complete and total fraud...

very well said :clap:

SteelerSteve
03-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Thats why I hate to say it but I like Tebow. Needs some time but would be a awsome QB for the steelers class act and a tough kid needs time and coaching.
Tim Tebow quarterbacking the Steelers? As much as I think he is a good guy and everything, I might just commit suicide if we resorted to putting him in lol...

--- Added 3/8/2010 at 08:45 PM ---

Randle El threw a better pass for a touchdown in superbowl 40 than Ben did:lol: Ben really has screwed the organization and himself what a @$$ hole, how stupid can u be, i hope the Commish suspends his @$$ for 4 games U have to send this @$$ hole a message on how to act in public, I believe Dixon can start the season off for us, There are no veteran QB's worth a dime out there... so u have to draft one and groom em...Yeah, Ben has been my favorite player since he has been a steeler, but I wouldn't mind seeing the league or the rooneys put there foot in his *** and let him know, that whether he is guilty or not he needs to grow the **** up and stay outta situations like that....Being rough on him could only benefit him I think.

LatrobePA
03-08-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm not buying into this thread, but will say this:

Tomlin don't control Ben, Ben controls Tomlin...So the scare factor isn't making Ben lose sleep!!

SteelerSteve
03-08-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm not buying into this thread, but will say this:

Tomlin don't control Ben, Ben controls Tomlin...So the scare factor isn't making Ben lose sleep!!
Oh I dont disagree with that, but the league could hit him where it hurts and seriously fine the **** out of him and then maybe he starts being a little more careful

jcloss23
03-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Totally agree man, Ben does need to change his mindset on how the world views him and vice versa. He's fortunate to be a NFL QB and a superstar one at that, and he needs to act like it.

At the same time, I just think we're all alittle too jumpy right now and ready to hang Ben from a flag pole when we don't know anything of what may or may not have happened.

If he's found guilty of some crime then I'll be there with everyone else saying something needs to be done, but right now there's no reason to think anything just yet.

Exactly man, this girl is already talking about dropping outta school, sounds like she cant wait for that settlement package to me...

xxxsteelernation
03-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Dixon was better in college than tebow ever was. injury to his knee cut it short. Don't get me wrong i like ben as our QB but I would give dennis starting job specially after going into hostile baltimore and if it was not for the Defense we would have one that game.

Zachintosh66
03-08-2010, 11:48 PM
So begins the Dennis Dixon Era :stirpot:

Once again Ben and his "people" sound pretty confident nothing to crazy happened. Dont expect much of a suspension if any. Hopefully Ben learns not to put him self into these positions anymore... a 28yr old NFL superstar shouldnt need to hang out w/ College chicks to get laid.

DanRooney
03-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Dixon was better in college than tebow ever was. injury to his knee cut it short. Don't get me wrong i like ben as our QB but I would give dennis starting job specially after going into hostile baltimore and if it was not for the Defense we would have one that game.

Yeah Dixon was awesome. I think he had a 62 passer rating and couldn't throw for about 85 percent of the game!

Championship! :yellowthumb:

scott0326
03-09-2010, 12:32 AM
No way Ben gets traded, if he gets suspended Dixon will start in his place, if he isn't suspended he will be starting next year for us. There is no way he wont be on team.

SteelCityKid5
03-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Ben won't get traded so seriously stop with any inclinations you people may have. At worst, he'll be suspended and I'm sure good ol Rooney is going to have a sit down with him. Ben needs to grow up period, this stuff is getting old.

Stlrs4Life
03-09-2010, 01:31 AM

Very good post. I agree.

Scorp
03-09-2010, 02:11 AM
Ben needs to be kicked in the nuts. Trade his *** and get Warner in a Steelers uni.

igor0190
03-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Ben needs to be sent a message FAST! The Steelers should take this into their own hands and punish him. He needs to grow up fast, and make some changes. If they choose to suspend him, so be it.

Forget football for a second. Regardless if he is guilty of any crime, Ben clearly does not know how to treat and respect women and needs to have a reality check.

The Steelers front office should plant a seed in the media that they are planning to draft a QB early in the draft. Then they should hire someone to pey Ben a visit claiming he is that girls father and scare the crap out of him. A big biker looking dude.

cmerrifield
03-09-2010, 10:30 AM
I think the Rooney's and Tomlin need to sit Ben down and go this is enough, you wanted a 100 million dollar deal, we gave it to you. Now stop acting like a child and be a leader off the field like you are on the field. Becoming a franchise QB is more than playing well, you must represent the team well, and clubbing with college girls when you are 28 isnt exactly what the Steelers had in mind. Now shape up.

igor0190
03-09-2010, 10:35 AM
I think the Rooney's and Tomlin need to sit Ben down and go this is enough, you wanted a 100 million dollar deal, we gave it to you. Now stop acting like a child and be a leader off the field like you are on the field. Becoming a franchise QB is more than playing well, you must represent the team well, and clubbing with college girls when you are 28 isnt exactly what the Steelers had in mind. Now shape up.

:plus1:

SteelerRush
03-09-2010, 10:40 AM
People you need to settle down. We know nothing yet about any specifics of what happened. Ben is not guilty until proven he is and you should hold off on asking for his head. I agree that he is stupid for putting himself in these positions with all the money he has and the superstar status he carries. In no way should he be chasing college girls. I would say he has a drinking problem that needs rehab and maybe that keeps him out of training camp and the first 2 games but lets not get carried away with this. After all he is only 28, has a ton of money at his finger tips, hangs around with people that are not advising him correctly and is obviously making poor decision when he drinks too much. When he is found innocent the NFL or the Rooney's should make him enter a rehab center at the very least. Ben needs professional help.:crossfingers:

Sir Blitzelot
03-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Ben needs to be kicked in the nuts. Trade his *** and get Warner in a Steelers uni.

I really hope you're joking...

TampaSteelGirl
03-09-2010, 12:37 PM

I swear I thought the same thing for a minute!! :rofl:

Stairwayto7
03-09-2010, 06:03 PM
People you need to settle down. We know nothing yet about any specifics of what happened. Ben is not guilty until proven he is and you should hold off on asking for his head. I agree that he is stupid for putting himself in these positions with all the money he has and the superstar status he carries. In no way should he be chasing college girls. I would say he has a drinking problem that needs rehab and maybe that keeps him out of training camp and the first 2 games but lets not get carried away with this. After all he is only 28, has a ton of money at his finger tips, hangs around with people that are not advising him correctly and is obviously making poor decision when he drinks too much. When he is found innocent the NFL or the Rooney's should make him enter a rehab center at the very least. Ben needs professional help.:crossfingers:

The original intent of this thread was for a veteran backup. Batch has been knocked out of both the last two seasons with injuries. We do need to settle down a bit, but this isnt Oakland, Dallas or Cinci, the Rooneys do NOT like the black eye, in the press. They like to run a good, clean, respectable organization. I thought, a year ago, we will have no issues at QB for at least 10 more years, now I`m not so sure. A Rooney QB will be held to a higher standard, more than the NFL standard. Innocent or not, this looks bad, its ashame if he innocent, but his a rep is getting tore up!

Scorp
03-09-2010, 11:35 PM
I really hope you're joking...

Yes i am my friend. This guy just needs to stay away from trouble or find a real, down to earth woman with strong morals to settle his *** down. I want to see us get another Lombardi and a 7th ring. BTW i really love your sig. I asked Addicts for help months ago and never got it. Oh well.

SteelersWoman
03-09-2010, 11:53 PM
...Ben..he's got a problem with basically thinking he's untouchable. ....

Or he could just think that he can trust that everyone will tell the truth about what goes down?

I am a trusting, pretty honest person, so I tend to think that others will always do the same with/toward me. Even getting burned a couple times hasn't jaded me. Not sayin that's Ben's personality, just giving another opinion on what the issue could be. Happening twice in such a short period of time, sure sounds that way to me...

He coulda been thinkin no WAY I have to worry about somebody else doin this to me again...that would be me to a T.... :2cents:

75Steeler
03-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Or he could just think that he can trust that everyone will tell the truth about what goes down?

I am a trusting, pretty honest person, so I tend to think that others will always do the same with/toward me. Even getting burned a couple times hasn't jaded me. Not sayin that's Ben's personality, just giving another opinion on what the issue could be. Happening twice in such a short period of time, sure sounds that way to me...

He coulda been thinkin no WAY I have to worry about somebody else doin this to me again...that would be me to a T.... :2cents:

An old joke a lawer friend told me goes like this: Admit nothing...deny everything....demand proof...and if you've got pictures....I've got a twin!!!

Steeler Vet
03-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Tim Tebow quarterbacking the Steelers? As much as I think he is a good guy and everything, I might just commit suicide if we resorted to putting him in lol...

--- Added 3/8/2010 at 08:45 PM ---

Yeah, Ben has been my favorite player since he has been a steeler, but I wouldn't mind seeing the league or the rooneys put there foot in his *** and let him know, that whether he is guilty or not he needs to grow the **** up and stay outta situations like that....Being rough on him could only benefit him I think.

look I dont mean right away. I think this kid as heart and Dedicated to becoming a NFL QB. Im saying bring him in for a back up. Let him learn work on his mechanics and I think he will be a good QB. Remember when Ben played his first year we ran the ball 70 percent of the time we asked him to manage the game not make stupid mistakes.

StlersGuy
03-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Did I miss something here... I dont see Big Ben going anywhere for sometime, just because of someone saying he did something to me is not a reason to get ride of someone and I dont think the steelers are even thinking of doing so. The guy knows how to play football and what he does on the filed is all I care about. I dont like it that he seems to get into things off the field and one can hope that will change. I for sure am not worried and think big Ben will be just fine and he will be the Next QB in pitt with 4 Super Bowl wins on his record after all is said and over with.

75Steeler
03-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Did I miss something here... I dont see Big Ben going anywhere for sometime, just because of someone saying he did something to me is not a reason to get ride of someone and I dont think the steelers are even thinking of doing so. The guy knows how to play football and what he does on the filed is all I care about. I dont like it that he seems to get into things off the field and one can hope that will change. I for sure am not worried and think big Ben will be just fine and he will be the Next QB in pitt with 4 Super Bowl wins on his record after all is said and over with.

I hope you are right but his off the field distractions we can do without. I also don't want him to go anywhere.

SteelCurtainYinzer
03-11-2010, 03:03 AM
I hate to say thing but, at some point Big Ben is becoming the biggest pain in the butt this football town has ever seen.
To a certain degree if it was any other player Ben would have been booted to the curb for this now three time offender. (Motorcycle,Tahoe and now Georgia).
At some point we need to cut our losses, trade him for a first round pick to Detroit and pick up a QB and move on from there.
It needs to happen and fast...we can not continue to have this distraction every other season and now back to back...just my .02

DanRooney
03-11-2010, 03:17 AM
Never. Worth more than a first round pick and is the greatest QB to ever wear the black and gold.

Your post is fail. Just my .02

Big T
03-11-2010, 04:24 AM
Are you serious?

scott0326
03-11-2010, 05:48 AM
Seriously? Ben is better then any QB in the draft. We have won two super bowls with him, yes he has made some stupid mistakes but this is one of the stupidest things I've ever read. Super star QB's like Ben don't grow on trees.

steelersbabex25
03-11-2010, 07:37 AM
...yeah. no.

SteelerSal
03-11-2010, 08:29 AM
I'm as sick of all the offseason bull with ben as everyone else but cutting ties is not the answer. Maybe game suspensions, reworking his contractwith clauses in it and a hefty fine from the league might be what he needs to get his act together and grow up.

OR

Ben can get counceling from both Tiger Woods (sex addict) and Gary Bussey (motorcycle crash test dummy).

greg1964
03-11-2010, 08:59 AM
when (if) he is found guilty of all charges: Unless it a crime for being stupid. The all the prisons would be full.

--- Added 3/11/2010 at 06:59 AM ---

Do I have to remind Steelers nation of the following: Malone, Stout, Tomask, Brister, O'Donnell, Miller, Steward, Maddox, and I sure I have miss someone over the years:
BTW: the above are a list of Steelers QB's after Bradshaw to Big Ben

SteelCurtainYinzer
03-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Never. Worth more than a first round pick and is the greatest QB to ever wear the black and gold.

Your post is fail. Just my .02

He might be greatest QB in Steelers history, but at what point do the Steelers look at him and say that he is becoming a disgrace to the organization? This isn't about one player, this is about a team. I got the feeling last season this team had some issues in the locker room and much of it dealt with Ben. If that weren't the case, why would Hines Ward call him out before the Baltimore game.
The thing is, Ben's antics would be okay if it were the 1940's, 50's or 60's. Today he can't get away with taking a dump at the 7-11 without it be under the microscope. The fact this is the second person to say that he sexually assulted them is very interesting. I am not passing judgement but I am saying that the circumstances are very interesting. The fact that he had said that he did not have sex with this woman is ala Bill Clinton. What stands out even more is that she did hit her head in the bathroom, what the hell was he doing in the womens bathroom to begin with? Something is up and it is a distraction, not only to the fans but the team and whole damn city. He isn't representing the Steeler Nation in a respectful manner. I would expect this from Cincinnati or Oakland but not Pittsburgh.
I agree he might need to go on Doctor Drew with Tiger Wood--(would make an awesome show) but he is showing a real drinking problem that leads to advances. (we could have used this drinking problem to show up during KC-OAK and Cleveland last year.)
For anyone to say that we shouldn't consider getting rid of him because he is the best ever is totally wrong. It's short sighted. I am sure if you got to asking Hines Ward what he thought of this and really got him alone to ask, he would be saying the same. Ben is a cancer, just like any other primadonna in the league that gets all types of press. This story isn't going away until at least week 4 of the season if not longer.
I agree he is worth more than just a one first round pick but we do have options and I would be interested in looking at offers if I were the Steelers....All I can say is team over player.

LatrobePA
03-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Once these two blow over, if there is a third, I'm betting he'll be outside looking in!

chisteeler
03-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Hello all,
Just joined today. I've been a Steelers fan for all of my 39 years. I have the distinct pleasure of being the only Steelers fan in a neighborhood full of Bears and Packers fans, so Sundays are quite interesting. Anyway, I too am disappointed with some of Ben's decisions as the face of the franchise. The Rooney's have made it a point throughout their ownership to represent the city of Pittsburgh and the NFL in a manner that has other teams trying to model their philosophy of not only winning, but of moral standards and competative respect. I hope that the Rooney's and Tomlin take Ben down a notch with some type of strict talk, contract language, or fine. He needs to re-evaluate and reflect on the opportunity and position that he is so fortunate to have obtained.
I remember Bradshaw's speech at Canton, when he looked and pointed to the sky in reference to Art Rooney and he said, "I loved that man." I only wished Ben would understand the value and importance of a statement like that and how it affected the face of the franchise so many years ago. I truly think Bradshaw would have liked things to turn out differently than they did towards the end of his career. He has since made amends with Noll and the city. (Better late than never.) However, Ben needs to begin the reconcilation process with the city guilty or not before it's too late. Check your ego at the door and do what's right by the organization and the fans of Steelers Nation.