PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interested in bringing back Foote

lloydfan4life
03-08-2010, 03:45 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/1041149-100.stm

The Steelers are interested in bringing back one of their former players -- inside linebacker Larry Foote -- to improve their depth and create some flexibility at the linebacker position, the Post-Gazette has learned.

However, the Steelers are waiting to see if Foote, who is an unrestricted free agent after playing one with the Detroit Lions, is willing to return.

Foote, 29, is scheduled to meet today with the Washington Redskins, where former Steelers defensive assistant Lou Spanos is the new linebackers coach; and later this week with the Arizona Cardinals, where he would be reunited with former Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

Foote asked to be released by the Steelers after the 2008 Super Bowl season because he didn't want to be a backup to Lawrence Timmons.

But the Steelers are willing to take him back because he would give them some veteran depth on the roster in the event of injury, even at outside linebacker. If LaMarr Woodley or James Harrison were injured, Timmons would move to the outside and Foote could take his old spot alongside James Farrior in the middle.

I can't imagine he'd want to return after asking to be released. :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I just heard this on Sirius too; no word yet on if he'd want to come back but if he would I would be all over that in a hot second. Foote has been a Steeler all his career, I'd love to see him come back with us to end his career. The chances of him going anywhere to be a starter unless it's to a scrub team, are slim at best anyways. Since our depth at LB in general is sub par, having him come back would be great.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Man that would be nice!!! Farrior has one more year... at best anyway then Foote is a full-time starter again! Seriously doubt this happens though

StlersGuy
03-08-2010, 03:59 PM
I say do it, if we can get him back then heck lets do it

BlitzburghRockCity
Foote will test the waters and see what's available, but I would imagine he won't get much attention from anything other than teams wanting depth. Regardless though, LB depth has to be on the radar this offseason.

BlackGold4vr
In this economy beggars can't be choosers. A job is a job. Detroit cut him and I couldn't think of another locker room that he would be more comfortable in than the Steelers. So if he's gonna take a pay cut and play a back-up role then why not with a team full of old friends? We have no depth inside unless Rocky Boiman is better than I thought he was. Would be a good move if he was willing to play for cheap as a back-up. :yesnod:

Captcoolhand
03-08-2010, 04:31 PM
In this economy beggars can't be choosers. A job is a job. Detroit cut him and I couldn't think of another locker room that he would be more comfortable in than the Steelers. So if he's gonna take a pay cut and play a back-up role then why not with a team full of old friends? We have no depth inside unless Rocky Boiman is better than I thought he was. Would be a good move if he was willing to play for cheap as a back-up. :yesnod:Unless we resigned him didn't Rocky declared Free Angency...

coldrolled
03-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Foote will test the waters and see what's available, but I would imagine he won't get much attention from anything other than teams wanting depth. Regardless though, LB depth has to be on the radar this offseason.

isnt Joey Porter out there too.. we could have a reunion of sorts for 2010.

is kuhn a free agent...

75Steeler
03-08-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm all for bringing him back. :cope:

Big T
03-08-2010, 05:41 PM
isnt Joey Porter out there too.. we could have a reunion of sorts for 2010.

is kuhn a free agent...

Don't forget about antwaan...

Steelerlyn
03-08-2010, 06:03 PM
His absence was very noticable

DanRooney
03-08-2010, 06:06 PM
In this economy beggars can't be choosers. A job is a job. Detroit cut him and I couldn't think of another locker room that he would be more comfortable in than the Steelers. So if he's gonna take a pay cut and play a back-up role then why not with a team full of old friends? We have no depth inside unless Rocky Boiman is better than I thought he was. Would be a good move if he was willing to play for cheap as a back-up. :yesnod:

Keyaran Fox>James Farrior

igor0190
03-08-2010, 06:22 PM
The only thing Randle El, Foote, and Porter have in common is probably regret that they ever left Pittsburgh. None are coming back.

Sir Blitzelot
03-08-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm not in favor of this, the defense is old enough as it is. The Steelers need to get younger.

DanRooney
03-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Foote is still 29. Relatively young and would be a great backup if he can't find a starting position anywhere else. All for this signing.

K Train
03-08-2010, 07:47 PM
foote should replace farrior.....farrior lost 2-3 steps and was the slowest player on the field at any given time last year

Big T
03-08-2010, 08:22 PM
None are coming back.

Well, it looks like you were wrong about that...lol

Zachintosh66
03-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Keyaran Fox>James Farrior

What a joke... seriously. Farrior may be losing a step but his last day in the NFL will still be better than Fox's best.

DanRooney
03-08-2010, 08:57 PM
What a joke... seriously. Farrior may be losing a step but his last day in the NFL will still be better than Fox's best.

Highly doubt that. Farrior is player on the Steelers team, and I wouldn't be stretching it if I included Casey Hampton. Fox has been a beast in pretty much every game he's subbed in for Timmons.

Let's not forget, Farrior cost the Steelers 2 games this year on the same play.

SteelCityKid5
03-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Fox is a solid run defender, I'm not sure about him in coverage. I'd be all in favor for seeing him more on the field. As for Foote, he wanted to be released because he wasnt getting the playing time and he'd be in the same situation now as he was then. But, he's a great locker room guy and knows this defense. If he's all for it and will come cheap, I say do it.

Zachintosh66
03-09-2010, 01:02 AM
I read Foote and Porter met with Ken Whis in the 'burg...

Scorp
03-09-2010, 02:12 AM
Like i said in another thread. Out with the new and in with the old.

Tr305
03-09-2010, 05:56 AM
all the bringing back next im going to hear we resign joey porter. If foote is willing i say bring em home. Everbody reuniting in pittsburgh for another sb run

SteelerRush
03-09-2010, 10:46 AM
If we can get Foote for a good price I say bring him back but he has to play as a back-up. May be he can back up Farrior or replace him on obvious passing downs and Fox backs up Timmons. At the right price it would shore up the LB corps at least for a few more years.:yellowthumb:

TampaSteelGirl
03-09-2010, 01:25 PM
I'd love to see both Foote and Porter back...:yellowthumb:

75Steeler
03-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I'd take Foote but I don't know about Porter....I don't like the guy.

TampaSteelGirl
03-09-2010, 01:47 PM
I'd take Foote but I don't know about Porter....I don't like the guy.

Now can you not like Peezy?!?! He's a pussycat! :lol:

Stlrs4Life
03-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Doesn't look like Foote doesn't have any interest on coming back:
http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/source-a-return-to-pittsburgh-is-not-on-footes-radar/23214/

Zachintosh66
03-09-2010, 05:27 PM
does that really surprise anyone... he didnt want to be a backup last year why would he bother to be a backup this year

LatrobePA
03-09-2010, 06:44 PM
See ya foote, you suck now anyway!

coldrolled
03-11-2010, 10:42 AM
See ya foote, you suck now anyway!

Farrior is pushing foote to comeback.

How hard of a decision would it be?

Play for AZ, zero QB Play for Skins, zero QB - Playoff chances slim.

Both teams need to draft a QB.

Maybe after the Lions stint Foote is over himself. He may be back.

LatrobePA
03-11-2010, 10:50 AM
I'd be happy to have him back, but he's not a starter IMO! This draft I'm hoping for a badass ILB to get after the QB...

BlitzburghRockCity
03-11-2010, 11:50 AM
I can respect Foote's idea of wanting to be a starter, after all he's a good linebacker and respected among his peers. At this stage of his career though, he may get a 3 yr. deal out of a team who really needs help at linebacker, but it's not going to be for a team that's a super bowl contender right now. Every player who's worth his weight wants to be a starter, and perhaps he's content with his 2 rings and just wants to play for whoever will pay him the most money regardless of success. If that's the case, hey more power to ya, but if he wants to be on another contender, Im guessing he'll have to take a backup job.

Stlrs4Life
03-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Update, Foote to visit Monday:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10071/1042342-100.stm

Foote to visit Steelers Monday
Friday, March 12, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201003/foote_160.jpg
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Former Steelers linebacker Larry Foote may rejoin the team as early as Monday.

Inside linebacker Larry Foote will visit the Steelers offices Monday and, if he passes a physical, could reach an agreement to rejoin his former team, the Post-Gazette has learned.
Foote, who left the Steelers after the 2008 season to play with one year with the Detroit Lions, visited with the Arizona Cardinals yesterday and the Washington Redskins on Tuesday without agreeing to a contract.
Foote would be a backup with the Steelers. but he would also give them more flexibility at the linebacker position in case of injury at outside linebacker. He would also be a safeguard for James Farrior, who is 36.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10071/1042342-100.stm#ixzz0i6QKQgM4

DanRooney
03-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Farrior is pushing foote to comeback.

How hard of a decision would it be?

Play for AZ, zero QB Play for Skins, zero QB - Playoff chances slim.

Both teams need to draft a QB.

Maybe after the Lions stint Foote is over himself. He may be back.

What Farrior is really doing is pushing himself out of the starting role seeing as he played like a pompous *** last year