PDA

View Full Version : S Will Allen to Visit..***Update, signs 3 yr deal with Steelers***

Zachintosh66
03-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Steelers talking to Tampa Bay safety
Monday, March 08, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Looking for help to possibly replace Ryan Clark, the Steelers have brought in Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety Will Allen and are visiting with him today at the team's South Side facility.

Allen, 27, joins San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Arnaz Battle as the first two unrestricted free agents being entertained today by the Steelers.

Allen, a former special teams captain for the Buccaneers, played in only eight games last season after being placed on injured reserve with a thumb injury. He was a fourth-round draft choice out of Ohio State in 2004 who has four interceptions in 84 career games.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/1041133-66.stm?cmpid=latest.xml#ixzz0hbahXvKP

BlackGold4vr
03-08-2010, 12:17 PM
I hate to see the Steelers digging in the dumpster for the garbage nobody else wants. Let Mundy and the safety to be drafted later compete for the job! If Mundy or the player to be drafted later aren't up to the task, cut them and find someone else who can do the job. Do you mean to tell me that if the Steelers draft Earl Thomas that this cast-off would be the better option? Even if we don't go safety in the first there is still Nate Allen who should be available in the second. The way our secondary played last year I can't say that we will miss Clark that much. And if the excuse for Clark's poor play is that Troy didn't play and when he did it helped Clark, won't a healthy Troy also help the next guy who steps in? :thinking:

Getting tired of the Steelers not trusting their own players they drafted to step up when the spot opens.

Zachintosh66
03-08-2010, 12:20 PM
I hate to see the Steelers digging in the dumpster for the garbage nobody else wants. Let Mundy and the safety to be drafted later compete for the job! If Mundy or the player to be drafted later aren't up to the task, cut them and find someone else who can do the job. Do you mean to tell me that if the Steelers draft Earl Thomas that this cast-off would be the better option? Even if we don't go safety in the first there is still Nate Allen who should be available in the second. The way our secondary played last year I can't say that we will miss Clark that much. And if the excuse for Clark's poor play is that Troy didn't play and when he did it helped Clark, won't a healthy Troy also help the next guy who steps in? :thinking:

Getting tired of the Steelers not trusting their own players they drafted to step up when the spot opens.

Gotta figure Carter is gone too, so its not a bad idea to bring in someone with a little experience before the rookie gets in town. Still think we would draft someone even if we signed Allen. Plus Allen is a pretty damn good ST player as well.

BlackGold4vr
03-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Allen was named a Pro Bowl alternate following the 2008 season, but as a special teams player, NOT as a safety. He started only two games last season and hasnít had an interception since the final regular-season game of 2005, Tomlinís last season in Tampa.

Allen was an All-America safety at Ohio State as a senior, his only season as a starter in college, and was drafted by Tampa Bay in the fourth round in 2004. He started eight games in 2005 and then 16 games in 2006 before finding his niche as special-teams captain in 2008.

The guy hasn't even been playing the position for other teams. But for us he will be an All-Pro? He is another teams Tyrone Carter. :lol:

LatrobePA
03-08-2010, 12:31 PM
This will be a long season if they draft bad...

Zachintosh66
03-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Tweet from Adam Schefter @ 12:40p:

Filed to ESPN: Former Bucs S Will Allen will sign a three-year contract today with the Steelers -- all while S Ryan Clark is in Miami.

BlackGold4vr
03-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Tweet from Adam Schefter @ 12:40p:

Filed to ESPN: Former Bucs S Will Allen will sign a three-year contract today with the Steelers -- all while S Ryan Clark is in Miami.

Shiat!

Lose your starting safety.........so you run out and sign a guy NOT good enough to play safety elsewhere.

:clap:

cmerrifield
03-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Well, our special teams do need help, maybe the Steelers are going to use him as a backup safety and special teamer. Clark has been in Miami since last night and still doesnt have a deal, so who knows.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2010, 01:15 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6870

The Steelers need a guy who's not just a big hitter like Clark was, but also someone who can tackle, make INT's, and be an all around instead of all or nothing player like Clark.

Personally I like the move, this guy has been productive in the league. Apparently he's versatile enough to fill in almost anywhere in the secondary if needed. Being a special teams option too is always a good thing, and probably something they liked about him especially. It's a typical Steeler free agent move here.

It's not a super star move here by any means, as much as we'd all like to see our team do that for once, but it's a good move to help fill the holes in the secondary with some veteran talent that isn't as epic fail as last years group was.

coldrolled
03-08-2010, 01:58 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6870

The Steelers need a guy who's not just a big hitter like Clark was, but also someone who can tackle, make INT's, and be an all around instead of all or nothing player like Clark.

Personally I like the move, this guy has been productive in the league. Apparently he's versatile enough to fill in almost anywhere in the secondary if needed. Being a special teams option too is always a good thing, and probably something they liked about him especially. It's a typical Steeler free agent move here.

It's not a super star move here by any means, as much as we'd all like to see our team do that for once, but it's a good move to help fill the holes in the secondary with some veteran talent that isn't as epic fail as last years group was.

well, say we sign Allen. Match clark's offer, keep him. Carter is gone.

we draft weatherspoon/spikes or an OL that drops to us.

we draft Nate Allen or the best available CB in the Second?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2010, 02:04 PM
From what Sirius is saying, Miami is really high on Clark right now and while they won't break the bank on him they do appear to be making a run at him. This is a year in free agency that benefits the teams more than players because players know that owners just aren't going to pay as much as they would in the past. Also because teams are hanging onto their own more this year than in the past, so that makes those that are out there at a premium but at the same time teams just aren't willing to shell out the big money like they were before. The big players in free agency like Dallas and Washington are not active much so that's a lot of money that's not being spent.

BlackGold4vr
03-08-2010, 02:12 PM

I think you are missing the point here TOP. Special teams is ALL he has been doing because he hasn't been good enough to play the safety position. We aren't signing a dual purpose player here, we are signing a special teams star who doesn't play the safety position very well. This is only good news for our special teams which does need help after allowing the most returns for touchdowns in the league.

K Train
03-08-2010, 02:18 PM
worst signing since sean mahan....tomlin is turning into a black bill cowher bringin in his boys and not even the good ones like sharper

cmerrifield
03-08-2010, 02:28 PM
My text from the Steelers said that we signed Battle and Allen and they will both provide depth and special teams. So it sounds like they are not expecting Allen to come in and be the starter. Sounds like they are replacing Carter more than Clark with Allen.

BlackGold4vr
03-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Won't it be nice when all of Tomlins old buddies from former teams are too old to play?

:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2010, 02:42 PM
I think you are missing the point here TOP. Special teams is ALL he has been doing because he hasn't been good enough to play the safety position. We aren't signing a dual purpose player here, we are signing a special teams star who doesn't play the safety position very well. This is only good news for our special teams which does need help after allowing the most returns for touchdowns in the league.

The good thing is, it's not going to cost us a lot to bring him in; it will definitely help the ST since he was the captain for the Bucs ST unit in 2008, like you mentioned. Trust me, I know it's not the epic signing that we all wanted but at the very least it's depth and since right now we have none to speak of, literally, it's a solid move IMO. He can't be any worse than Carter atleast..can he? :lol:

steelcitysfinestXL
03-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Speacial teams players and depth at thier repected positions... not a horrible move at all. Battle wont sniff the field as a WR and Allen will back-up FS and prob SS due to his versitility. Not bad IMO! and prob DIRT CHEAP!

coldrolled
03-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Speacial teams players and depth at thier repected positions... not a horrible move at all. Battle wont sniff the field as a WR and Allen will back-up FS and prob SS due to his versitility. Not bad IMO! and prob DIRT CHEAP!

well, this really puts pressure on Keenan, Burnett, and the other 2nd and 3rd year DB's... they will lose their st safety net.

Zachintosh66
03-08-2010, 04:53 PM
from everything im ready this is a depth an st move, not a starter move... :towel:

NCSteeler
03-08-2010, 08:16 PM

What's the big deal, the guys coming in to replace Carter. He plays ST and then backup safety, that is dual purpose. Oh I forgot Carter was all pro..lol And as far as letting Mundy step in....he played slightly better than Gay..not sure if that is a compliment or not.

Troyisabeast_43
03-08-2010, 09:19 PM
They will give Sweed a chance as well to compete for that 4th spot with Battle and Randle El as well but it will be his last shot before he is cut...

franchise3
03-08-2010, 09:25 PM
They will give Sweed a chance as well to compete for that 4th spot with Battle and Randle El as well but it will be his last shot before he is cut...

Did I miss somewhere that we signed Randle El?

Oops just saw that. That's what happens when you don't check the news for 6 hours :)

scott0326
03-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Allen plays special teams and was the alternate for the NFC in the pro bowl for special teams. No complaints here as long as he isn't the starting safety.

coldrolled
06-02-2010, 04:47 PM
The guy hasn't even been playing the position for other teams. But for us he will be an All-Pro? He is another teams Tyrone Carter. :lol:

Why not sign.....

Former Rams safety Oshiomogho Atogwe he became a free agent after midnight Tuesday..

he would make a better safety replacement, then we can focus wholly on a CB next year.

Zachintosh66
06-02-2010, 06:10 PM
too much $, he'll command almost "top dollar" best DB in the league that no one knows about...

coldrolled
06-02-2010, 09:30 PM
too much $, he'll command almost "top dollar" best DB in the league that no one knows about...

We need to buy a CB, S or WR(TO)

We can't draft these three players all in one year. but we can buy at least one now...

--- Added 6/2/2010 at 08:30 PM ---

eagles will need him..

Eagles' Marlin Jackson tears Achilles'

Advertisement

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Eagles defensive back Marlin Jackson has ruptured his right Achilles' tendon an indoor practice.

Zachintosh66
06-03-2010, 12:51 AM
next time i hear someone mention TO and Steelers in the same sentence im gonna kick my dog...

coldrolled
06-03-2010, 08:46 AM
maybe he would play for a little less to be on a winning team.

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions, who have a desperate need at safety, are taking a hard look at unrestricted free agent safety O.J. Atogwe but it appears, at least for the time being, that Detroit won't be making a big push to sign him.

According to a league source, Atogwe's salary demands are extremely high and the Lions aren't interested in meeting them. That's also the reason why several other teams have pulled out of negotiations with the former St. Louis Rams player.

It's possible that Atogwe will have to reduce his demands and the Lions could get back into the sweepstakes but, for now, the Lions aren't an option.

The Lions have Louis Delmas at one safety position, but there's a wide-ranging battle for the other starting spot. While there's good competition going on, the Lions would prefer to end it and pencil in a player of Atogwe's ability.

K Train
06-03-2010, 10:00 AM
no way they will sign atogwe, too pricey and they are gay for ryan clarks mediocrity. it would be sick though

coldrolled
06-03-2010, 10:30 AM
no way they will sign atogwe, too pricey and they are gay for ryan clarks mediocrity. it would be sick though

i know, i love dreaming, but what if troy goes down again... how many games do we lose again.. i think we really need him. have clark as the backup... crap we were dying for earl thomas, how much would he have cost?

maybe mix around a few other db's and then release the dead wood. we seem to have a lot of dead wood in the db position. put clark in somewhere else?

JensK
06-03-2010, 12:11 PM

Gay is far from the best CB in the league, but he is, imo, one of the better NBs out there. I agree about Clark tho. At least we know what we have in Clark, and if (year right...) Polamalu should stay healthy, Clark fits ok next to him. He is not a good safety by any means, but he gets the job done when troy is around. Please please please PLEASE stay healthy this year troy

LatrobePA
06-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Troy will get hurt again this season, count on it!!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-03-2010, 12:17 PM

Don't jinx us man....if he does get hurt Im holding you personally responsible! :rant2:

LatrobePA
06-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Don't jinx us man....if he does get hurt Im holding you personally responsible! :rant2:

LOL, sorry, but with the way he plays the game (balls out) he's bound to get dinged up!!

Zachintosh66
06-03-2010, 01:22 PM

maybe hes trying to jinx it the opposite way... sayin he will get hurt and hoping that it doesnt happen

Dobre Shunka
06-03-2010, 02:25 PM
reverse jinxology?

We do need a backup @ S, no doubt.

Blazedby92
06-04-2010, 09:24 AM
next time i hear someone mention TO and Steelers in the same sentence im gonna kick my dog...

I'll kick him too. Get off TO's nutz cold we aren't going to sign him especially if we know he is going to cause problems. Overrated IMHO a above average TO drops too many passes anyways.

K Train
06-04-2010, 10:25 AM
TO just wants a superbowl win (and roughly 5 mil a year) and hes not the problem child hes made out to be at all, not even close. that being said the TO now is a mere shadow of the TO of 3 years ago

scudmissile29
06-04-2010, 11:34 AM

troy has played just 1 16 game season in the last 4 years, he's not prone like bob sanders but i would be slightly worried in the upcoming season to see how his legs go.

coldrolled
06-04-2010, 11:45 AM
TO just wants a superbowl win (and roughly 5 mil a year) and hes not the problem child hes made out to be at all, not even close. that being said the TO now is a mere shadow of the TO of 3 years ago

We will see TO go for 2 mill.. He should play better than expected. He was a Bill last year.. That devalued him a tad... You would have thought he would have exploded the locker room last year. but he held his cool. 85 has more issues than TO.

Right now i would rather see the steelers spend a bit on Atogwe.. We may need him more than a WR imo.. But holmes is gone.. so that does bothers me still..

scudmissile29
06-04-2010, 11:52 AM
just sign santonio holmes back in the offseason.

75Steeler
06-04-2010, 12:28 PM
We don't need TO and to be honest we didn't need the baggage Holmes had either. Which is why he is no longer a Steeler. TO won't get anywhere near the $5 mil he thinks he is worth. Maybe $2 mil. I think that if we would have hung on to Nate Washington he would have been a lot further along as a reciever with us than he is with the Titans. :imho: