PDA

View Full Version : AFCN is updating WR's..Steelers need to adjust

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2010, 12:16 PM
If you look at what the AFCN is doing right now; with the Ratbirds upgrading their WR's with Bolden and Stallworth, Cincy looking at TO & Brandon Marshall, and Cleveland, well not so much right now but still.. :rolleyes:

The Steelers so far have gone backwards in the secondary; losing Clark, Townsend, Carter, and not making any strides to upgrade that unit. Yes, free agency just started and our team never does much in that respect anyways, but it makes you wonder if this group can be upgraded enough in just 1 offseason to stay competitive against upgraded pass catchers.

Our defense is predicated on the pass rush, if it gets there and if Troy is healthy then we can be effective just like always. However, if/when Troy gets hurt, or the pass rush is being held in check, our young secondary is going to be challenged. Even if we do go the route of the draft and pick up a couple secondary players, there will be a learning curve involved so we should be ready for some growing pains with this unit. Hopefully Troy can atleast stay healthy for more than 5 games this coming here.

cmerrifield
03-08-2010, 12:33 PM
I agree, this is not the year to loose our secondary, but I really doubt Carter will go anywhere, and we can probably sign him back real cheap. Hopefully Mundy, Burnett and Lewis are all farther along than most people realize or this could be another long year for the Steelers D. We are bringing in Will Allen but I dont know anything about him.

xxxsteelernation
03-08-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree, this is not the year to loose our secondary, but I really doubt Carter will go anywhere, and we can probably sign him back real cheap. Hopefully Mundy, Burnett and Lewis are all farther along than most people realize or this could be another long year for the Steelers D. We are bringing in Will Allen but I dont know anything about him.

well will allen does have a DUI charge. so he should be fitting in just fine they way this offseason is turning out (again)

--- Added 3/8/2010 at 10:48 AM ---

i would love to see wesley mallard (who is a free agent sign with the steelers) he has ryan clark power. and is just a good free saftey
here is one of his jaw breaking hits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSYC2NF8x00

K Train
03-08-2010, 01:55 PM
NOT what i had in mind

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2010, 02:21 PM
How much are they going to bank on Lewis, Burnett, Mundy, and now Allen to be the guys in the secondary for us is anybody's guess right now. Last year nobody was good, so everything should be open to upgrade IMO. If Troy is healthy he's money, he makes everyone better and when's not in there the weaknesses are glaring to say the least.

tburg68
03-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Our defence can be great again with Troy and Smith back. The zone blitz is better served with safeties and slot secondary guys who are ball hawking guys to cover large areas, while the blitz reeks havoc on the QB. Our DB's all look better when the blitz is quickly getting to the QB. I like to watch Clark hit, but I would rather have a rookie ball hawk like Thomas starting from day one. He has makeup speed and a nose for the ball. It would be better served for our overall D than a "big hitter type" like Clark and Carter, even with their experience.

DanRooney
03-08-2010, 05:01 PM
The Steelers so far have gone backwards in the secondary; losing Clark, Townsend, Carter, and not making any strides to upgrade that unit. Yes, free agency just started and our team never does much in that respect anyways, but it makes you wonder if this group can be upgraded enough in just 1 offseason to stay competitive against upgraded pass catchers.

How is losing Tyrone Carter going backwards? Townsend has a lot of football IQ at his position but isn't fast enough to cover everyone. Agan, not backwards.

However, tendering Gay is f'n going backwards. The guy is the worst starting corner in the league. CUT HIM TOMLIN!

Troyisabeast_43
03-08-2010, 08:01 PM
The Steelers obviously are going to look at corner,safety,and d-line in the draft and address pretty much all 3 areas as much as they can. Baltimore getting Boldin,and Cincy looking at TO and Brandon Marshall doesnt make me fear them or be more concerned about them then I was before. Cincy had their chance to make a run this year with all the breaks they got in the division and they failed miserably. They wont have the same luck next season and wont go 6-0 in the division. And Im just not sold on Joe Flacco for the Ravens being the real deal and dont think the Ravens will ever get to where they wan to go with him as long as he is their QB...

--- Added 3/8/2010 at 06:01 PM ---

How is losing Tyrone Carter going backwards? Townsend has a lot of football IQ at his position but isn't fast enough to cover everyone. Agan, not backwards.

However, tendering Gay is f'n going backwards. The guy is the worst starting corner in the league. CUT HIM TOMLIN!

I agree Gay needs to be gone and Tomlin had better not dare make him the starter going into next season. The guy was a trainwreck this past year and is not starting cornerback material...If he continues to be the starter the Steelers secondary and pass defense is going to continue to have major major problems...

cmerrifield
03-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Well, we are reacting to the New AFC north, we brought in two recievers as well. No amazing recievers, but not bad either