PDA

View Full Version : Either McClain or Thomas will be available at #18

tburg68
03-06-2010, 10:17 PM
With the Dolphins signing Dansby, and the Giants signing Rolle, I think either McClain or Thomas(possibly both) will slide, and be available at #18. Which one would you pick if both were available?

andyg1984
03-06-2010, 10:22 PM
i think they both could easily be gone ...mcclain would be tough to pass on, but i think thomas is pretty dang good and in the passing league we are in he could be nasty ... ET come home ..

DanRooney
03-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Earl Thomas should be there.

McClain will be long gone.

Zachintosh66
03-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Thomas... faster impact on the field.

McClain will be on sidelines till they figure out Farrior is over the hill.

Big T
03-07-2010, 01:40 AM
I love them both and would be ecstatic with either....

thermoman
03-07-2010, 10:10 AM
i think mclain..... goes 15 to the giants and thomas 17 to the niners, and at 18.......(imo) the steelers will select weatherspoon

Zachintosh66
03-07-2010, 10:43 AM
weatherspoon... puke

For as well as Weatherspoon worked out on the field and for as much as his "character" is praised within the Missouri program, he has turned off a number of decision makers just as much with his outlandish, look-at-me, loudmouth personality and has been criticized for worrying too much about his image and post-football career aspirations before he has accomplished anything in the National Football League. "He never shuts up," one top executive said. "He was the loudest guy in the room for the bench press. He gives me a headache. I think he is full of (it). It's all about himself. I don't want him in my locker room."

andyg1984
03-07-2010, 11:47 AM
i'd prefer spikes over weatherspoon ..

JollyRob68
03-07-2010, 03:26 PM
i'd prefer spikes over weatherspoon ..

Spoon over spikes and I'd take McClain because it all starts with the front 7.

andyg1984
03-07-2010, 09:59 PM
what is it that you think he does better than spikes as it relates to ilb in a 3-4 ?

K Train
03-07-2010, 10:54 PM
weatherspoon... puke

vocal guys arent bad

JollyRob68
03-07-2010, 11:06 PM
what is it that you think he does better than spikes as it relates to ilb in a 3-4 ?

Spoon covers sideline to sideline and he enjoys playing the game. Based on how spikes did his drills at the combine. I'd want spoon.

Big T
03-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Spoon covers sideline to sideline and he enjoys playing the game. Based on how spikes did his drills at the combine. I'd want spoon.

If Spikes doesn't run well at his pro day, I think he might be there at our pick in the second...he his worthy of a first round pick so I really hope teams are dumb enough to let him slip to us in the second...if he's there in the second and we don't take him, I will be really pissed...

andyg1984
03-08-2010, 01:12 PM

im sure spikes enjoyes the game too .. lol .. if spoon is so good then how come everyone has fell in love with him after the college football season ended? spikes is a better thumper to take on OL imo, timmons can already cover sideline to sideline .. if teams are stupid enough to pass on spikes we need to take advantage ..

a scenario of landing thomas and spikes is intriguing and i would definitely part ways with our #3 if we could arrange that .. just my opinion

steelcitysfinestXL
03-08-2010, 02:54 PM
If Spikes doesn't run well at his pro day, I think he might be there at our pick in the second...he his worthy of a first round pick so I really hope teams are dumb enough to let him slip to us in the second...if he's there in the second and we don't take him, I will be really pissed...

im sure spikes enjoyes the game too .. lol .. if spoon is so good then how come everyone has fell in love with him after the college football season ended? spikes is a better thumper to take on OL imo, timmons can already cover sideline to sideline .. if teams are stupid enough to pass on spikes we need to take advantage ..

a scenario of landing thomas and spikes is intriguing and i would definitely part ways with our #3 if we could arrange that .. just my opinion

:plus1: Couldnt agree more

coach
03-08-2010, 08:28 PM
vocal guys arent bad

I agree. Joey Porter was a vocal guy, and I think he did ok for himself. I generally like vocal guys who can back up their talk with strong physical play- even good trash talkers.

The vocal guys you have to worry about are the young players getting quoted in the newspaper saying they guarantee a victory over a team, and then getting burned for a couple touchdowns because they forgot their assignment (e.g. covering the wide receiver). We don't need those kind of vocal guys.

jcloss23
03-08-2010, 08:56 PM
With us signing Randle El, Clark, and battle i really think that we will be drafting the best available in 1st round. We have 4 capable wide outs, a great tight end, and then another receiver that needs to step his **** up. Wide out, though slim before is definitely outta the window for sure. I don't think they will draft Thomas if he is still available with 2 safeties now. We need a corner but Haden def wont drop, and you might as well wait for the 2cd or 3rd otherwise. The linebackers maybe but to get either Rolando or spikes we would have to move up or back. The decent tackles will be gone i feel, and i don't think Iupati is the answer being a mainly guard position either. I don't think a NT will be an early need with big snack back. What does everyone else think? i have a big feeling we wont keep big 18 and will be elsewhere.

BlackGold4vr
03-09-2010, 01:44 AM
With us signing Randle El, Clark, and battle i really think that we will be drafting the best available in 1st round. We have 4 capable wide outs, a great tight end, and then another receiver that needs to step his **** up. Wide out, though slim before is definitely outta the window for sure. I don't think they will draft Thomas if he is still available with 2 safeties now. We need a corner but Haden def wont drop, and you might as well wait for the 2cd or 3rd otherwise. The linebackers maybe but to get either Rolando or spikes we would have to move up or back. The decent tackles will be gone i feel, and i don't think Iupati is the answer being a mainly guard position either. I don't think a NT will be an early need with big snack back. What does everyone else think? i have a big feeling we wont keep big 18 and will be elsewhere.

I agree with most everything you stated above. These moves today have ruled out the drafting of a safety and wide receiver. I still don't think the Steelers will draft an offensive tackle because they just resigned Starks last year and I believe Colon will also be resigned. My money is on Sean Weatherspoon. First of all we need a leadership type of personality on this defense. Almost all of our star defensive players are introverts. I think the team needs a talker to fire up the troops. Weatherspoon looked really good at the combine. Fast, smooth drop backs into coverage, good reps on the bench, I believe he could be great for us! We won't sniff McClain and Spikes is slower and a greater liability dropping into coverage. We could also use an upgrade at center so Pouncey could be a possibility but I believe they would drop back to pick him. He won't be available at 2-52.

:2cents:

steelcitysfinestXL
03-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Spikes is slower and a greater liability dropping into coverage.:2cents:

What told you that... the fact he had more career interceptions than McClain and Spoon -or- the fact he took 4 of them back for touchdowns :thinking:

darnik44
03-09-2010, 09:14 AM
I think the Brown or Jags take Thomas, and McClain could go to the Giants. I'd be pretty surprised if the Giants passed on him. I will say McClain has a better chance to be there than Thomas. McClain has a small chance, Thomas has virtually no chance IMO.

igor0190
03-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Steelers front office better seriously consider moving up. There will not be enough roster spots for 7 draft picks on the team. Trade some away, and get quality, not quantity.

BlackGold4vr
03-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Pouncey is a natural athlete who does everything really well, and some consider him to be a better prospect than last year’s top center, first round draft pick Alex Mack. The one negative to Pouncey is that he comes from a spread offense where he primarily snapped the ball out of the shotgun, and there may be an adjustment period for him to get used to the traditional style. But, if that’s the only negative, Pouncey, who also has experience at guard, will likely hear his name early in the draft, possibly as high as No. 18 to the Pittsburgh Steelers. In addition to the Steelers, there are a handful of teams in the first round that will have interest in Pouncey’s services, including the Green Bay Packers (No. 23), Philadelphia Eagles (No. 24), Arizona Cardinals (No. 26), Minnesota Vikings (No. 30) and Indianapolis Colts (No. 31).

Since the Steelers are showing a great deal of interest in Spoon, this might just be a diversion to hide their interest in Pouncey.

:yesnod:

BlackGold4vr
03-09-2010, 10:25 AM
What told you that... the fact he had more career interceptions than McClain and Spoon -or- the fact he took 4 of them back for touchdowns :thinking:

The fact that I watched the combine drills and saw the same thing that scouts saw which has had Spikes sliding into the second round and Spoon going up the boards. Guess you saw something different than everyone else. :yellowthumb:

darnik44
03-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Steelers front office better seriously consider moving up. There will not be enough roster spots for 7 draft picks on the team. Trade some away, and get quality, not quantity.

All 7 draft picks never make the roster. With the compensatory picks, they will have more than 7. They should have between 8 and 10 I believe.

coldrolled
03-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Since the Steelers are showing a great deal of interest in Spoon, this might just be a diversion to hide their interest in Pouncey.

:yesnod:

with the receivers building in balt, cinci. we need a #1 CB

Haden or Wilson.

darnik44
03-09-2010, 10:27 AM
The fact that I watched the combine drills and saw the same thing that scouts saw which has had Spikes sliding into the second round and Spoon going up the boards. Guess you saw something different than everyone else. :yellowthumb:

With the signing of Ryan Clark, Antwaan Randle El, Arnez Battle, and Will Allen, I think Pouncey and Iupati look like strong possibilities. I don't think Dan Williams will be there anymore, but if he is...he's a lock IMO.

jcloss23
03-09-2010, 11:43 AM
with the receivers building in balt, cinci. we need a #1 CB

Haden or Wilson.

Haden had absolutely no chance of being there, and unless these guys that we are picking up will be used for a trade?!? then i don't see us having to much to get rid of. We need to get younger and the more draft picks the better.

JollyRob68
03-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Haden had absolutely no chance of being there, and unless these guys that we are picking up will be used for a trade?!? then i don't see us having to much to get rid of. We need to get younger and the more draft picks the better.

Iupati & pouncey would be great Picks as well as Jared Odrick & weatherspoon. I think we should go after Richard MArshall CB with The Panthers. Then we can focus on BAP in the draft. Perhaps Get Toby Gearhart in the 3rd or anothe CB or Cover Safety.

--- Added 3/9/2010 at 11:19 AM ---

If Mcclain falls which some now predict that would be sweet for us.

K Train
03-09-2010, 02:59 PM
im pro pouncey, i scoff at iupati

Big T
03-09-2010, 03:51 PM
F*ck Mike Iupati and Dan Williams...I would be real heated if one of them were the pick at 18...Joe Haden wont fall to 18....There is NO WAY in hell that McClain falls past the giants...Definitely like Thomas, Pouncey, Weatherspoon, and Spikes at 18...But like ive said all along, if Earl Thomas is there and we dont take him, we will regret it and i will probably kill Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert...

coldrolled
03-09-2010, 04:22 PM
F*ck Mike Iupati and Dan Williams...I would be real heated if one of them were the pick at 18...Joe Haden wont fall to 18....There is NO WAY in hell that McClain falls past the giants...Definitely like Thomas, Pouncey, Weatherspoon, and Spikes at 18...But like ive said all along, if Earl Thomas is there and we dont take him, we will regret it and i will probably kill Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert...

i guess then one of these weatherspoon, thomas or wilson will hit 18...

then who do you pick if all three hit 18.... ???

darnik44
03-09-2010, 04:27 PM

Spikes might be there in the 2nd round.

--- Added 3/9/2010 at 03:27 PM ---

im pro pouncey, i scoff at iupati

I like them both, but the more I think about it the more Pouncey makes sense because of his ability to play C, RG, or LG. Right now Iupati is pretty limited to LG.

BlackGold4vr
03-09-2010, 04:35 PM
I like them both, but the more I think about it the more Pouncey makes sense because of his ability to play C, RG, or LG. Right now Iupati is pretty limited to LG.

:plus1: I'm thinking the same thing. Even if they were reluctant to give him (Pouncey) the starting center job this year, he could still compete for the starting right guard job which currently has no real favorite going into spring training.

Another factor going against the drafting of Iuputi is that if he excels at the left guard position that one is already taken by Kemo who I believe is our best run blocking lineman. The vacancy is on the right side.

andyg1984
03-09-2010, 05:06 PM
mayock is saying that pouncey might be the best C prospect since Mangold ..

how do you ya'll think he stacked up vs Kalil/Mack/Wood ?

K Train
03-09-2010, 06:08 PM
hes better than mack, wood, unger, kalil imo....mangold is a stud though, if hes almost as good as mangold he'll be a star

andyg1984
03-09-2010, 10:31 PM
so by that math we are good because kalil made hartwig irrelevant ...

steelcitysfinestXL
03-10-2010, 12:07 PM

Guess i did... i watch game film... WHAT EVERY COACH SAYS IS THE BEST WAY TO EVALUATE TALENT.Spikes has BEEN written off as a second round prospect since january. I dont put that much stock into what one guy does in an indoor, controlled environment, with no pads. If your so impressed with cone drills and 40 times, why arent you pushing Taylor Mays.

I posted in January that Spikes would prop slide after the draft due to poor times in speed drills. I said then we could trade back -or- get him in the second. It didnt take the combine and watching NFLN for 4 days for me to figure that out! :yellowthumb:

Big T
03-10-2010, 01:32 PM
i guess then one of these weatherspoon, thomas or wilson will hit 18...

then who do you pick if all three hit 18.... ???

without a doubt Earl Thomas...he's the best safety prospect coming out in like 5 years...obviously that doesnt include Berry because Berry may be the best safety prospect ive ever seen coming out...

--- Added 3/10/2010 at 12:32 PM ---

Guess i did... i watch game film... WHAT EVERY COACH SAYS IS THE BEST WAY TO EVALUATE TALENT.Spikes has BEEN written off as a second round prospect since january. I dont put that much stock into what one guy does in an indoor, controlled environment, with no pads. If your so impressed with cone drills and 40 times, why arent you pushing Taylor Mays.

ding ding ding...I hate how much weight the combine carries with so many people...the combine is actually almost pointless...but i like watching it because i love all this draft sh*t so im not complaining...i just hate when people completely ignore game tape because someone put up ridiculous numbers at the combine...thats why Bruce Campbell and Taylor Mays are going to be drafted so high when neither of them belong in the first...

Blazedby92
03-10-2010, 02:18 PM
[/QUOTE]ding ding ding...I hate how much weight the combine carries with so many people...the combine is actually almost pointless...but i like watching it because i love all this draft sh*t so im not complaining...i just hate when people completely ignore game tape because someone put up ridiculous numbers at the combine...thats why Bruce Campbell and Taylor Mays are going to be drafted so high when neither of them belong in the first...[/QUOTE]

I like it because it plays into our hands if we do it right just like mendenhall. Others do so good in the track and field contest that the good football prospects fall to us, and some teams wonder why teams stay successful even if they draft at the bottom, for example Raiders(draft speed) Lions draft anyone they don't need and so on.

Big T
03-10-2010, 02:22 PM
I like it because it plays into our hands if we do it right just like mendenhall. Others do so good in the track and field contest that the good football prospects fall to us, and some teams wonder why teams stay successful even if they draft at the bottom, for example Raiders(draft speed) Lions draft anyone they don't need and so on.

no doubt....thats another of the reasons why I said i wasnt complaining