PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Clark, and other notables will become UFA's

75Steeler
03-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Ryan Clark will become an unrestricted free agent on Friday after he and the Steelers failed to come to a contract agreement.

Clark, the team's starting free safety the past four years, said consistently that he wanted to remain with the Steelers but the two sides never came close in contract negotiations.

He was one of three players football operations director Kevin Colbert identified as a priority to sign before free agency. They locked up the other two by signing nose tackle Casey Hampton to a three-year contract and making kicker Jeff Reed the franchise player.

Clark was the only other player involved in negotiations with the team before free agency so all of their other perspective free agents will become unrestricted at midnight: Halfback Willie Parker, cornerback Deshea Townsend, quarterback Charlie Batch, linebacker Rocky Boiman, safety Tyrone Carter, defensive ends Nick Eason and Travis Kirschke, wide receiver Joey Galloway and two potential restricted free agents who did not receive tenders from the team, guard Darnell Stapleton and halfback Carey Davis

Read more: http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/10063/1040355-66.stm#ixzz0hFejnVBF

Zachintosh66
03-04-2010, 07:03 PM
id be surprised if he leaves... give him a few days he will be back.

LatrobePA
03-04-2010, 07:05 PM
He's gone, I say Baltimore, AZ, KC.....Just to name a few!

coldrolled
03-04-2010, 07:32 PM
He's gone, I say Baltimore, AZ, KC.....Just to name a few!

We can match Clark's best offer right?

I love watching 25 on the field. I cant believe were not signing him...

We need to replace Farrior say with Weatherspoon for sure, now we will have to worry about two safeties. A good one to replace Clark and a backup.

Plus we need a great OL Player or 2..

The Steelers better start hitting the FA or we will be watching the Bengals again.

Dont forget we still have BA.

LatrobePA
03-04-2010, 07:39 PM
They should have last look...

BA, lol!!

We can match Clark's best offer right?

I love watching 25 on the field. I cant believe were not signing him...

We need to replace Farrior say with Weatherspoon for sure, now we will have to worry about two safeties. A good one to replace Clark and a backup.

Plus we need a great OL Player or 2..

The Steelers better start hitting the FA or we will be watching the Bengals again.

Dont forget we still have BA.

K Train
03-04-2010, 07:40 PM
steelers west are losing antrel rolle.....clark will be a card

coldrolled
03-04-2010, 07:43 PM
steelers west are losing antrel rolle.....clark will be a card

Available.

O.J. Atogwe, S (5): Right of First Refusal, $1.226M (no comp, salary increases to $6.976M on June 1)

LarryNJ
03-04-2010, 08:13 PM
The Eagles are in desperate need of a safety too.

steelersbabex25
03-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Nooooo :(:(:(

Clark is a great guy. If he truely ends up not coming back to the Steelers, I wish him the very best wherever he does go.

DanRooney
03-04-2010, 09:10 PM
1. Earl Thomas
2. Trade whatever picks up for Spikes

Problem solved.

75Steeler
03-04-2010, 09:29 PM
id be surprised if he leaves... give him a few days he will be back.

I hope you are right....I love to watch this man hit for the Steelers!

Zachintosh66
03-04-2010, 10:49 PM
I love to watch this man hit for the Steelers!

hit but not tackle...

K Train
03-05-2010, 03:23 AM
clark was only good for laying the crush every now and then....he was the worst player on the best defense 2 years ago and was exposed last year

coldrolled
03-05-2010, 06:22 AM
clark was only good for laying the crush every now and then....he was the worst player on the best defense 2 years ago and was exposed last year

TribLive

If Clark leaves, the Steelers will almost have to pursue a safety via free agency — and hope they unearth a gem such as they did in 2006 with Clark after losing Chris Hope.

The reason? The draft can't be depended on to bring immediate help at free safety.

The Steelers have used their first-round pick on a safety exactly one time since 1969. And Troy Polamalu, the Steelers’ top pick in 2003, played sparingly as a rookie because he struggled to pick up the defense.

Given the reality that the Steelers are not going to use their first-round draft pick on a free safety — and how steep the learning curve is for rookie defensive players — the Steelers need to make every effort to re-sign Clark.

Captcoolhand
03-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Ryan Clark's desire to remain with the Steelers made no difference as he failed to come to a contract agreement and became free to sign elsewhere today.
Clark, the team's starting free safety the past four years, likely will move on and sign with another team, just as he did when he joined the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent from the Washington Redskins in 2006.
It's becoming a tradition with the position. The Steelers signed Clark four years ago after they lost their own starting free safety, Chris Hope, to the Tennessee Titans as a free agent. Now, they either will try to sign another to replace Clark, draft one or turn inward to someone such as Ryan Mundy.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10064/1040430-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0hImMrF1k
Good Luck dude!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2010, 09:10 AM
No way he's coming back, if he's not a Cardinal within the first couple weeks I'll be really surprised. Carter will be gone and Townsend will be too, so our Secondary is in big trouble right now and our hand has been partially shown as everybody and their brother knows we're going to do DB with one of our picks in the first 3 rounds.

I could see Townsend coming back for less money, just to sign a 2 yr deal as a backup and perhaps try to get 1 more ring before he retires. In fact I'd be all for that personally.

Not that it wasn't real obvious before, but you never really want to completely show your hand before the draft. Unless they sign someone in FA before, a DB and more than 1 for that matter, is TOP priority.

coldrolled
03-05-2010, 09:44 AM
No way he's coming back, if he's not a Cardinal within the first couple weeks I'll be really surprised. Carter will be gone and Townsend will be too, so our Secondary is in big trouble right now and our hand has been partially shown as everybody and their brother knows we're going to do DB with one of our picks in the first 3 rounds.

I could see Townsend coming back for less money, just to sign a 2 yr deal as a backup and perhaps try to get 1 more ring before he retires. In fact I'd be all for that personally.

Not that it wasn't real obvious before, but you never really want to completely show your hand before the draft. Unless they sign someone in FA before, a DB and more than 1 for that matter, is TOP priority.

well, can keenan lewis take over for mundy or clark... joe Burnett??

we have players.. they cant all just be ST..

do we draft another CB Wilson-haden or Taylor Mays - Thomas?

if clark gets his number and we match and keep him fine, if he leaves we need two S's