PDA

View Full Version : Willie Colon could be gone?

SteelCityKid5
03-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Colon's agent hopes to catch a whiff of a trade

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 3, 2010 10:23 AM ET
We noted yesterday that it wouldn't be that crazy for a team to consider (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/02/willie-colon-smells-first-round-tender/) giving up a first-round pick to sign restricted free agent Willie Colon (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3912) away from the Steelers.

Colon's agent, Joe Linta, unsurprisingly agrees (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_669755.html)."We really don't know if he fits in their [long-term] plans," Linta told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "If you have the fifteenth pick and you need a starting offensive lineman, why wouldn't you do it [make a trade]? You hope your draft pick is good. With Willie, you know what you're getting."
Linta calls Colon the best young right tackle in football. While that notion may seem a little wacky, he's got some numbers to back it up (http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1).
We don't expect Colon to sign an offer sheet elsewhere, but he's one of the few quality restricted free agent quality starters that could legitimately draw interest.

Zachintosh66
03-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Id be ok with it... we'd get another first rounder... one of those would def have to be a OT tho.

andyg1984
03-03-2010, 12:03 PM
potential for a VERY rough transition period ..

SteelCityKid5
03-03-2010, 12:14 PM
If we get a first rounder, as the Steelers organization I couldnt see how you dont make that move.

Big T
03-03-2010, 12:22 PM
If we get a first rounder, as the Steelers organization I couldnt see how you dont make that move.

because we would be getting rid of a quality right tackle just to end up drafting another tackle who might not pan out....we dont know where the pick would be and who would be there...I dont know

cmerrifield
03-03-2010, 12:25 PM
There are a few guys that could be starting RT's year 1, so I am not too worried, a first rounder usually signs for 5 years so we could have a starting RT for 5 years, that would be sweet.

SteelCityKid5
03-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Quality tackle... riiight

K Train
03-03-2010, 12:35 PM
hes our best lineman...not sure what some of you guys have against him....a holding or a false start every now and then? hes not THAT bad with it. hes a top RT and i cant believe it but a 4th round pick of ours panned out. a team would get a good player and if a team wanted a BADASS guard they could also do that. SF is in desperate need of a RT, that would be ****ing sweet, they have 2 first round picks. but some one would not be out of their mind to do it, and it would hurt us but i love the idea of having 2 first round picks haha

coldrolled
03-03-2010, 12:46 PM

logic shows we would get two 1st round picks if colon leaves.

we would have to spend what... $10-20mil signing bonuses for both 1st's the first year? plus the salaries.

we lose colon.. because we dont have cash to pay him? we get a rookie OL in the 1st

we lose clark because we dont have cash to pay him? should we tender clark? he would seem to have more value for a first round tender... or cant we do that.

if clark leaves and we get nothing, we will need to get a rookie safety in the first at #18, could be Thomas..

so there is money on one side of the story for 2 1st rounders.... but the other side says we can't afford to re-sign colon and clark to good contracts because of cash and cap?

then the other teams out their seem to sign everyone, the bengals are looking to sign TO... they have Palmer, Ocho, TO... etc. and a few more FA's . they seem to have no salary cap..

its confusing...

SteelCityKid5
03-03-2010, 01:02 PM
It is confusing but I'd take it. Again, that's just me.

Silverback
03-03-2010, 01:16 PM
I think I'd take that first rounder for Colon and draft a guy like Trent Williams(depending on where the pick is) who is seen as a blue chip RT in the league.:2cents:

JensK
03-03-2010, 02:18 PM
If someone should take Colon, it would not be too hard to find a starting RT in this draft...

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2010, 04:34 PM
I honestly don't see him drawing that much interest in the FA market at this point, there are teams that can use a RT, but given that our line has such a bad rap most teams will shy away. Colon is not the worst guy we have out there, both he and Kemo are the 2 best that we have. If we could get a 1st rounder for him though, and we committed ourselves to getting a RT with one of those picks, then it would be a good idea. Going out and getting some 2nd tier castoff to play RT though, would not be a wise idea.

DanRooney
03-03-2010, 05:50 PM
I dunno but I enjoyed this part of the article

"Thursday is the deadline for the Steelers to offer one-year tenders to restricted free agents William Gay, Matt Spaeth, Carey Davis and Darnell Stapleton."

Please let him WALK!

coldrolled
03-03-2010, 08:16 PM
If someone should take Colon, it would not be too hard to find a starting RT in this draft...

Correct... So why would they do that?

cmerrifield
03-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Correct... So why would they do that?

If someone is drafting late in the first round and is afraid there wont be any Tackles that could start fresh out of school left by the time they pick, they may decide its worth it. I know there are several coaches that really like Colon.

Stlrs4Life
03-03-2010, 08:43 PM
The article is from profootball talk. They have no clue on what they are talking about in the first place.

Zachintosh66
03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
should we tender clark? he would seem to have more value for a first round tender... or cant we do that.

hardly...

IMO Colon is way harder to replace than Clark... Fact is Colon is our best OL period. Unless someone threw Steve Hutchinson money at him he will be a steeler next year... and that a good thing.

coldrolled
03-04-2010, 09:00 AM
hardly...

IMO Colon is way harder to replace than Clark... Fact is Colon is our best OL period. Unless someone threw Steve Hutchinson money at him he will be a steeler next year... and that a good thing.

So why dont we sign him for 3-4 years?

--- Added 3/4/2010 at 08:00 AM ---

If someone is drafting late in the first round and is afraid there wont be any Tackles that could start fresh out of school left by the time they pick, they may decide its worth it. I know there are several coaches that really like Colon.

If we cant get a quality RT at #18 how would we get onre as good as colon in the late 1st rounds..

Shouldnt we just sign him 3-4 years?

LatrobePA
03-04-2010, 09:03 AM
So why dont we sign him for 3-4 years?

--- Added 3/4/2010 at 08:00 AM ---

If we cant get a quality RT at #18 how would we get onre as good as colon in the late 1st rounds..

Shouldnt we just sign him 3-4 years?

Maybe this is a sign of how they plan on drafting this year??

coldrolled
03-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Maybe this is a sign of how they plan on drafting this year??

trading up for a big RT

Blazedby92
03-04-2010, 09:12 AM
It would be hard to let proven talent go and knowing how our line would be with out Colon I don't know I would do it. :banging:

tburg68
03-04-2010, 11:41 AM
I hope Colon is retained, but if someone were to trade their 1st round pick for him, the Steelers could package their two first rounders, or one first rounder and their second to move way up for possibly Okung/Balaga. I would rather replace Starks than Colon, but I would take Okung/Balaga over either one.