PDA

View Full Version : are they serious?

xxxsteelernation
03-02-2010, 10:39 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/352764-would-the-pittsburgh-steelers-draft-golden-tateto-be-hines-replacement?utm_source=newsletter

hines should be able to retire a steeler

Callax
03-02-2010, 10:53 PM
I really do not think they will draft him, he ran a 4.37 at the combine. Pretty good.
Corner, Safety, OL or LB will be in the 1st 2 rounds, Tate will long be gone!

Ironman
03-03-2010, 12:11 AM
that was just retarded, I'm sorry but it must be said. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'm usually very open to this, but my opinion says his opinion is simply retarded. Casey's 3 year contract in no way changes the Steelers' plans to address his replacement- which will happen within the next 2 drafts. Casey's replacement will take at least a year to prepare regardless of what round he's taken in. He may be right in stating that the NT position has been addressed and will probably be moved down the priority list, but for Golden Tate??????
Golden Tate is a fun athlete to watch, but I'm nearly 100% positive the Steelers will not draft a WR within the first 3 rounds- if they even do at all. They have a strong core with Wards, Holmes, and Wallace- in addition to Miller, Moore, and Sweed (iffy), the Steelers are nearly set at WR. I'm not sure when Wards' contract expires, but they already found his replacement in Holmes. Holmes' replacement could be Wallace, and the list goes on and on from there. Golden Tate could fit in perfectly with the Steelers, but the likelihood of that happening is EXTREMELY remote.

steelersbabex25
03-03-2010, 07:34 AM
I think by "future replacement," they mean after Hines is retired..

SteelerSal
03-03-2010, 08:22 AM
I think by "future replacement," they mean after Hines is retired..

Yeah thats what I believe it means also. I'm not saying we should go after tate, but Hines replacement does need to be addressed sometime or another so that they can learn from Hine.:yellowthumb:

K Train
03-03-2010, 10:05 AM
they are more clones than anyone ive ever seen compared to ward....chill out, replacing hines ward wont be the worst thing the steelers have ever done

SteelCityKid5
03-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Just because the Steelers interviewed Golden Tate doesn't automatically mean theyre going to take him. The Steelers arent looking to replace Hines yet. I'd say if anything it'd be next years draft, not this years.

K Train
03-03-2010, 11:39 AM
steelers have been trying to replace ward with sweed and wallace....grooming yes, but nonetheless eventual replacements.

i didnt read the article, but they are eerily similar players.

excellent at getting open
very strong hands
not elite speed but fast enough, and tate did run well
heavy feet
monsters in the slot but beefy enough to play out wide
great vision, instincts and after the catch tough yards
very tough

just sayin, if we could snag him in round 2, they should....hes exactly what you want with burners like holmes and wallace

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Getting a replacement for Hines is a no brainer, you have to do it eventually. Nobody is going to replace Ward on the field this year, that much is certain but you do have to plan for the coming years. WR's take a good 3 years to develop into solid, consistent players; 2 years at the very least so you have to take one soon that you think will be your guy.

Hines is as good as it gets, he's still tough as nails and you can count on him every week to give 100% and make plays when you need it. If they do get a WR early, like 2 years ago when Sweed fell into their lap in the 2nd round, you have to consider it atleast. Although this year, Im thinking they have more pressing needs to worry about with their first 3 picks.

DanRooney
03-03-2010, 06:08 PM
I don't know why but mentioning the name Sweed just sickens me now. Can't wait until we cut the guy.

scott0326
03-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Do Steelers really need another WR now? Even with Ward getting up there in years they still have Holmes and Wallace.

andyg1984
03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
provided the style of play, associated injury history and age i'd say yeah .. no reason to pass on a Demaryius Thomas if he slips ...

if BA is going to have a pass heavy offense we need at least 4 ..

LatrobePA
03-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Tate is a badass, down the field blocker physical wideout...