PDA

View Full Version : Steelers tender Colon and Sepulveda

DanRooney
03-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Steelers tender tackle Colon
Tuesday, March 02, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

The Steelers have tendered starting tackle Willie Colon a one-year contract offer of $2,521,000 today, the Post-Gazette has learned.

That tender maintains the Steelers rights to Colon as a restricted free agent. The level of compensation tendered him means that if another team, starting Friday, signs Colon to a contract the Steelers would receive a first-round 2010 draft choice in return if they decline to match.

NFL teams have five levels of tenders they can choose to offer their free agents ranging from $1,176,000 to $3,168,000. The latter would bring a team draft picks in the first and third rounds if they decline to match. Colon received the second-highest tender available.

The Steelers have until Thursday to tender one-year contracts to restricted free agents.

The Steelers also gave punter Daniel Sepulveda the lowest tender permitted to maintain their rights of first refusal. Under those conditions if Sepulveda signs with another team and the Steelers decline to match, they receive nothing in return.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10061/1039730-100.stm#ixzz0h3wTvkCd

Stlrs4Life
03-02-2010, 07:58 PM
I think we keep both.

cmerrifield
03-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Yeah, Colon is good, but nobody is going to give up their first round pick for him, and Sepulveda is not so amazing that somebody would try sign him, and deal with the fact that we can match the offer

LatrobePA
03-02-2010, 10:20 PM
"championship"

Ironman
03-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Two good moves. Colon is solid (as solid as the Steelers can get), and although I've slowly fallen off the Sepulveda train, I still see him having a lot of potential- but his #'s are quite average. Regardless, he is still 500x better than Berger or whatever the hell that guy's name was. Berger knew how to position his body to stop a return, that's about it.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Colon has such great potential if they would just move him to Guard; he's not built like a RT and would so much better suited inside. Either way though, considering we have no one else to play RT as it stands, this move probably makes good sense.

As far as DSep goes, I'm looking forward to him having a real solid year; there shouldn't be any real issues with us keeping him.