PDA

View Full Version : dif point of view for draft

Zachintosh66
02-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Im very curious to see this years draft process unfold. With verbal pressure from the FO to the coaching staff to process our young guys more quickly, do we go:

OT: Seems logical, to most. But they seem pretty loyal to Starks and Colon, but both are FA. If we lose one this may turn out to be a very important priority.

OG/C: They have said they dont plan on moving Colon inside which leaves a gap at RG where an immediate impact could be seen but prolly only in the form of Iupati. C could use an upgrade but after Hartwig signed a deal last year I dont think they are too concerned to spend a high pick on this area.

DT: Do we draft someone high just to sit and wait till they cut Casey or until he plays out his new contract?

ILB: Farrior, old? Yes. Losing it? Perhaps. He is still the "QB" of our defense and still the leading tackler. Do we trade up for McCain just to have him stand around and wait to play? Or wait for Spikes for the same thing?

CB: prolly has the chance for the biggest postional impact on our team this year. But DB's are pretty deep this year we could address another postion and still land a playmaker in the 2nd or 3rd round.

S: Potential for an upgrade here, but the player prolly wouldnt start the year #1. Everyones demigod Troy even had to sit a year to learn the system. There a 3 potential "Elite" players on the board and are pretty solid into the mid-rounds. We could address other area first as well.

RB: We are losing Parker, word is he isnt even gonna get an offer. So can Moore step in and be a solid #2. Or do we pull the trigger on a back early to compliment Mendy?

cmerrifield
02-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Good thoughts, the only thing is Starks signed a 4 year deal before last season, so he is around 3 more seasons.

darnik44
02-28-2010, 07:42 PM
You really can't look at the draft this way. The Steelers are not going to be making a decision of what position they draft in the first round. They will be choosing a player, not a position. They will take the best player available on their board. Their board will be stacked based on a mix of need, talent, and other variables like positional depth of this class.

The pick, and the position of the pick will depend on what happens in the first 17 pick (barring a trade up or down obviously).

I think their draft board will look something like this...

Ndamukong Suh, DT/DE, 6-4, 305, Nebraska
Eric Berry, S/CB, 5-11, 195, Tennessee*
Gerald McCoy, DT, 6-4, 295, Oklahoma*
Russell Okung, OT, 6-5, 300, Oklahoma State
Rolando McClain, ILB, 6-4, 250, Alabama*
Joe Haden, CB, 5-11, 185, Florida*
Dan Williams, DT/NT, 6-3, 312, Tennessee
Bryan Bulaga, OT, 6-6, 305, Iowa*
Anthony Davis, OT, 6-6, 330, Rutgers*
Earl Thomas, S/CB, 5-10, 190, Texas#
Bruce Campbell, OT, 6-7, 295, Maryland*
Mike Iupati, OG, 6-5, 330, Idaho
Jared Odrick, DT/DE, 6-5, 308, Penn State
C.J. Spiller, RB, 5-11, 190, Clemson
Terrence Cody, DT/NT, 6-5, 368, Alabama
Kyle Wilson, CB, 5-10, 190, Boise State
Golden Tate, WR, 5-11, 195, Notre Dame*
Mardy Gilyard, WR/KR, 6-1, 192, Cincinnati
Maurkice Pouncey, C/OG, 6-5, 312, Florida*
Brandon Spikes, ILB, 6-3, 245, Florida
Chad Jones, SS/FS, 6-3, 218, Louisiana State*
Sean Weatherspoon, OLB/ILB, 6-1, 235, Missouri
Trent Williams, OT/OG, 6-5, 305, Oklahoma
Dez Bryant, WR, 6-2, 210, Oklahoma State*
Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, 6-2, 270, Michigan
Devin McCourty, CB, 5-11, 186, Rutgers
Derrick Morgan, DE, 6-4, 270, Georgia Tech*
Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, 6-2, 242, Texas Christian
Charles Brown, OT, 6-6, 300, Southern California
Donovan Warren, CB, 6-0, 185, Michigan*
Arrelious Benn, WR/RB, 6-2, 215, Illinois*
Jahvid Best, RB, 5-10, 195, California*
Sergio Kindle, OLB/DE, 6-4, 238, Texas

Realistically, one of the bolded players is most likely to be the pick (barring a trade up or down). Player above or below would be in the "trade zone."

Black@Gold Forever32
02-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Best player available is always the best way to go......That is why I wouldn't be against Spiller or Dez Byrant at 18 if one them two were best available........

darnik44
02-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Best player available is always the best way to go......That is why I wouldn't be against Spiller or Dez Byrant at 18 if one them two were best available........

This is generally the approach of every team. It's easier to cross off positions that won't be drafted in the first than it is to pick what position the pick plays. Cross off QB, FB, TE, SS, K, P, and probably OLB off the list. That leaves RB, WR, OT, OG, C, DE, NT, ILB, FS, and CB as possibilites.

K Train
02-28-2010, 08:28 PM
wouldnt mind graham so i dont think OLB should be crossed off

DanRooney
02-28-2010, 08:39 PM
By Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.com
Date: Feb 27, 2010

The coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers intends to improve the run game, and to that end he's eyeballing a massive Samoan road-grader, Iupati.

JollyRob68
02-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if they take Sean Weatherspoon. He can play ILB or OLB. He's starting to look like the logical choice and it covers 3 needs, ILB,OLB & Special Teams. He can learn Behind Farrior and Replace him mid season if needed Or Move up for McClain .
Cant wait to see the experts list after the combine of the top 100 players.

--- Added 2/28/2010 at 06:46 PM ---

By Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.com
Date: Feb 27, 2010

The coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers intends to improve the run game, and to that end he's eyeballing a massive Samoan road-grader, Iupati.

OR get his future center Maurkice Pounce and later get John Jerry,Rodger Safford or Mitch Petrus.

BlackGold4vr
02-28-2010, 08:51 PM
I don't put much stock in the players that teams pretend to be interested in. Most of the time it seems that teams intentionally try to disguise who they are really interested in by faking to be interested in someone else. I am suspicious of any team that tries to show too much interest in any one player.

Honestly, if we are able to snag Pouncey that would instantly make our O-line better if he were able to wrangle the starting job away from Hartwig. But I don't think Pouncey is worthy of the 18th spot. There are a number of players that could work in that spot.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-28-2010, 09:07 PM
I don't put much stock in the players that teams pretend to be interested in. Most of the time it seems that teams intentionally try to disguise who they are really interested in by faking to be interested in someone else. I am suspicious of any team that tries to show too much interest in any one player.

Honestly, if we are able to snag Pouncey that would instantly make our O-line better if he were able to wrangle the starting job away from Hartwig. But I don't think Pouncey is worthy of the 18th spot. There are a number of players that could work in that spot.

I don't any center is ever worth the 18th pick in the draft.....But I do like the idea of trading down and drafting Pouncey.....The Steelers then could draft Pouncey and a safety like Nate Allen with a trade down.......

I like Earl Thomas at 18 or an LT but a trade down that could land Pouncey and Allen sounds sweet to.....Of course the Steelers would need a dancing partner to make a trade.........

Big T
03-01-2010, 01:38 AM
I love me some C.J. Spiller at 18...

No, runningback is not the biggest need but C.J. Spiller is WAY too special to not be considered...If Earl Thomas is gone by 18, I would love the pick to be Spiller...I love everything about him...If Spiller and Iupati were both on the board at 18 and we picked Iupati, I would cry(definitely not tears of joy)...I like Iupati but nowhere near as much as I like Spiller...he just makes too much sense...He would sure up a bunch of aspects in the steelers game...perfect complement to Rashard, elite KR & PR, tremendous 3rd down back with exceptional hands, runs hard, hes a homerun threat everytime he touches the ball, and he would create a whole new dimension to our offense....

I would take Spiller at 18 over almost everyone but Earl Thomas(leaving out the obvious ones like Berry and McClain)...Too bad hes most likely gone by 18....

--- Added 2/28/2010 at 11:34 PM ---

How about Sean Weatherspoon putting up 225 34 times? damn thats impressive...watch out for him

some other notable players:

Rolando McClain - 24
Segio Kindle - 25
Brandon Graham - 31
Gerald McCoy - 23
Ndamukong Suh - 32

--- Added 2/28/2010 at 11:38 PM ---

And on another note, just if anyone is curious...

Earl Thomas:

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 208
Arm Length: 31 1/4
Hand Size: 9 3/8

JollyRob68
03-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Sean Weatherspoon is looking good.

Big T
03-01-2010, 03:05 AM
Sean Weatherspoon is looking good.

He's growing on me more and more everyday....I like him in the first...he's got value at 18but i think we could trade back a few and still snag him....He's a lot stronger than i thought he was...I like his attitude too:

NFL/The Combine: Missouri linebacker Steelers kind of player
Monday, March 01, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS -- Sean Weatherspoon seems like a natural fit at inside linebacker for the Steelers. He chatters like Larry Foote, has played behind Ziggy Hood and even knows the difference between the buck and mack positions in their 3-4 defense.

And, like Hines Ward, he is smiling all the time.

"That's my thing, always talking, always having a good time," said Weatherspoon, a Missouri linebacker and one of the top inside prospects at the NFL Scouting Combine. "I love football. It's not a right to play football. It's a privilege. The good Lord has blessed me with that privilege to be here, and I am excited. "

He might get another privilege: Eventually replacing James Farrior at inside linebacker in the Steelers' defense.

Of all the positions the Steelers might want to address in the NFL draft, perhaps none is in more need of attention than inside linebacker where Farrior, their captain, is 35 and without a young replacement behind him. That became even more apparent after nose tackle Casey Hampton, who will be 33 in September, signed a three-year, $21.3 million contract last week.

Weatherspoon is not considered the top linebacker in the draft. Right now, that distinction belongs to Alabama's Rolando McClain (6 feet 31/3, 254 pounds), who is bigger than Weatherspoon (6-1 1/4, 239) and played in the 3-4 defense in college with the national champion Crimson Tide.

But McClain might not get past the New York Giants, who have the 15th overall pick in the draft and are looking for a replacement for Antonio Pierce. Because of his size, McClain could also play middle linebacker in a 4-3 defense.

"I think me playing under coach [Nick] Saban kind of gave me an advantage, especially playing in his 3-4," McClain said. "His 3-4 is so complicated. He's coach Saban. He's one of the best defensive minds. I learned so much from him."

The Steelers have the 18th overall pick and, if they don't have a shot at McClain, might consider Weatherspoon, who played with last year's No. 1 pick -- Ziggy Hood -- at Missouri. Weatherspoon finished with more than 400 career tackles with the Tigers and is considered an inside linebacker in the 3-4 because of how well he runs to the ball.

Other teams, though, are looking at him as an outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense. Not the Steelers, who met with Weatherspoon Friday night.

"Coach [Mike] Tomlin said he saw me fitting in at either the mack or the buck," Weatherspoon said, referring to the positions played by Farrior (buck) and Lawrence Timmons (mack) in the Steelers' defense. "He was saying inside, that is what he talked about. I don't have a problem with that.

"If I've got to do the dirty work and take on the linemen to free up the other players for them to make plays, then I am all about that. I am all about just being a team guy and taking care of business."

And what if he got to play behind Hood again?

"That would be cool," Weatherspoon said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10060/1039382-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0guFCA8JF

K Train
03-01-2010, 03:24 AM
yeah weatherspoon is growing on me, we would have some sick 43 personell but hes more a SAM and timmons is a WILL so playing next to each other in the middle wouldnt be too farfetched

Big T
03-01-2010, 04:46 AM
I don't know man...there's a lot of guys I like this year...but as long as we don't draft Taylor Mays, Bruce Campbell, Charles Brown, Dan Williams(he's not bad), or Mike Iupati(I think he will be good but just not what I want to spend the 18th pick on) in the 1st, I should be ok...

K Train
03-01-2010, 10:04 AM
i dont think i see myself getting evander hood-pissed in the first round this year

mays would do it though, brown would do it....im not sure campbell would do it because i do think hes gonna be good, just not right away. pissed but not hood-pissed

BlackGold4vr
03-01-2010, 11:29 AM
yeah weatherspoon is growing on me, we would have some sick 43 personell but hes more a SAM and timmons is a WILL so playing next to each other in the middle wouldnt be too farfetched

Yeah, he did real well for himself yesterday. He was fast and strong!

andyg1984
03-01-2010, 02:20 PM
is trent williams growing on any1?

K Train
03-01-2010, 02:32 PM
trent williams is a RT right now, hes not so much of a RT that he cant play on the left one day unlike guys like gosder cherilus who you can pretty much write off as a LT, williams can play on the left maybe a few years down the line but theres no point in drafting him unless we bump colon inside...in which case im all about it

steelcitysfinestXL
03-01-2010, 03:33 PM
You really can't look at the draft this way. The Steelers are not going to be making a decision of what position they draft in the first round. They will be choosing a player, not a position. They will take the best player available on their board. Their board will be stacked based on a mix of need, talent, and other variables like positional depth of this class.

The pick, and the position of the pick will depend on what happens in the first 17 pick (barring a trade up or down obviously).

I think their draft board will look something like this...

Ndamukong Suh, DT/DE, 6-4, 305, Nebraska
Eric Berry, S/CB, 5-11, 195, Tennessee*
Gerald McCoy, DT, 6-4, 295, Oklahoma*
Russell Okung, OT, 6-5, 300, Oklahoma State
Rolando McClain, ILB, 6-4, 250, Alabama*
Joe Haden, CB, 5-11, 185, Florida*
Dan Williams, DT/NT, 6-3, 312, Tennessee
Bryan Bulaga, OT, 6-6, 305, Iowa*
Anthony Davis, OT, 6-6, 330, Rutgers*
Earl Thomas, S/CB, 5-10, 190, Texas#
Bruce Campbell, OT, 6-7, 295, Maryland*
Mike Iupati, OG, 6-5, 330, Idaho
Jared Odrick, DT/DE, 6-5, 308, Penn State
C.J. Spiller, RB, 5-11, 190, Clemson
Terrence Cody, DT/NT, 6-5, 368, Alabama
Kyle Wilson, CB, 5-10, 190, Boise State
Golden Tate, WR, 5-11, 195, Notre Dame*
Mardy Gilyard, WR/KR, 6-1, 192, Cincinnati
Maurkice Pouncey, C/OG, 6-5, 312, Florida*
Brandon Spikes, ILB, 6-3, 245, Florida
Chad Jones, SS/FS, 6-3, 218, Louisiana State*
Sean Weatherspoon, OLB/ILB, 6-1, 235, Missouri
Trent Williams, OT/OG, 6-5, 305, Oklahoma
Dez Bryant, WR, 6-2, 210, Oklahoma State*
Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, 6-2, 270, Michigan
Devin McCourty, CB, 5-11, 186, Rutgers
Derrick Morgan, DE, 6-4, 270, Georgia Tech*
Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, 6-2, 242, Texas Christian
Charles Brown, OT, 6-6, 300, Southern California
Donovan Warren, CB, 6-0, 185, Michigan*
Arrelious Benn, WR/RB, 6-2, 215, Illinois*
Jahvid Best, RB, 5-10, 195, California*
Sergio Kindle, OLB/DE, 6-4, 238, Texas

Realistically, one of the bolded players is most likely to be the pick (barring a trade up or down). Player above or below would be in the "trade zone."

:yellowthumb: I see us getting the player who drops the furthesdt from what he was projected (ie: Rashard Mendenhall in 08) While i agree with your "draft zone" thoery whole heartedly, CJ spiller is the only player, in you "draft zone" i like at 18! That would make me VERY happy. Any one else can be traded back for! I REALLY think, unless someone falls dramatically (ex: Spiller, McClain, Bulaga etc.) i see us trading back and taking Cody or an ILB.

andyg1984
03-01-2010, 04:52 PM
trent williams is a RT right now, hes not so much of a RT that he cant play on the left one day unlike guys like gosder cherilus who you can pretty much write off as a LT, williams can play on the left maybe a few years down the line but theres no point in drafting him unless we bump colon inside...in which case im all about it

williams looked good this w/e even if u throw out the 40 time .. he looked better in some drills than the top competition ..i am all for drafting him and moving colon inside .. hope he is there ..

i dnt really like bulaga as much as some do but would still take him .. with those short arms you would expect a better bench .. he only did 6 more reps than McCluster .. im just sayin .. lol .. jk .. draft dex!

K Train
03-01-2010, 05:08 PM
bulaga has 33 inch arms which isnt "short" as far as LTs, its not freakish like campbell but not short.

bulaga=stud

LatrobePA
03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
If we went with a LT in the 1st round, would he be considered an istant starter over Starks?

K Train
03-01-2010, 05:18 PM
no way, best case scenario is we draft one like bulaga or davis in the first they would probably go to RT if they hda a good camp and maybe the new oline coach will get his head out of his *** and put colon at RG

id be surprised if starks goes anywhere anytime soon

LatrobePA
03-01-2010, 05:27 PM
no way, best case scenario is we draft one like bulaga or davis in the first they would probably go to RT if they hda a good camp and maybe the new oline coach will get his head out of his *** and put colon at RG

id be surprised if starks goes anywhere anytime soon

Got ya, I assumed he'd have to go through camp and compete, it makes sense to see where he fits in after camp...Like you said hopefully this new line coach will make the adjustments needed!

andyg1984
03-01-2010, 05:32 PM
bulaga has 33 inch arms which isnt "short" as far as LTs, its not freakish like campbell but not short.

bulaga=stud

oh, ok .. for some reason when i was watching yesterday i thought they said 30-31 .. but i see now that i was mistaken ..

anyhow .. what is it that is so great about bulaga? im not trying to be combatitive, i just sort of see him as a do everything type of guy, but not elite .. again, just going off scouting reports because the only play i was awake for in the orange bowl morgan drove him back like 8 yards ..

K Train
03-01-2010, 06:00 PM
excellent pass blocker, great speed and lateral movement...put up 34 or 36 on the bench so hes gotten stronger. im saying he would look great in black and gold....again, since he plays for iowa

steelcitysfinestXL
03-01-2010, 07:23 PM
excellent pass blocker, great speed and lateral movement...put up 34 or 36 on the bench so hes gotten stronger. im saying he would look great in black and gold....again, since he plays for iowa

He and Iupati are the only linemen i like that MAY be there at 18! Wouldnt be mad with either pick... though i REALLY dont see it happening.

K Train
03-01-2010, 07:26 PM
we just dont need guards....iupati is good but anoher run blocking guard isnt what we need...its tackle or pouncey or defense imo

Zachintosh66
03-01-2010, 09:29 PM
we just dont need guards....iupati is good but anoher run blocking guard isnt what we need...its tackle or pouncey or defense imo

i dont know what the hell they are going to do... i really like BB from Iowa but Iupati makes more sense b/c RG isnt locked down to anyone in particular. BB is a tackle but we already pd Starks and as long as Colon stays they have already said they arent going to move his position.

Im still would love BB, but id hopefully Thomas (S) is there. Iupati isnt bad just is suspect in pass protection. Im pretty open to the pick b/c i still see quality across the board at 18. People have talked about trading up or back in which at this point im still up in the air about. My only hope is we land a playmaking CB day one or two.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-01-2010, 09:43 PM

I feel you man, in a perfect world: We'd draft a stud LT, move Max to RT and slide Colon to G. But, thats not gonna happen. I like pouncey if we trade back to get him and aquire a few more picks. But Hartwig is making damn good money so im not sure what they would do with him!

IMO, its Spiller or McClain if they fall or trade back and grab Pouncey, Cody or Spikes. The ONLY player i like at 18 who should be there is Earl Thomas... i wouldnt be mad if they grabbed or passed on him at 18... but i think thats good value for him!

coach
03-01-2010, 10:07 PM
I hope not. Not in the first. I know where is he rated, but I would rather trade down than take him.

I think Spiller may go to San Fran with their first of two picks as they need depth at RB and need to improve their passing game. He helps them do both.

I have not been a Cody fan because when you give a guy that weighs 374 a couple million dollars, that's a lot of T-bones. His reps today were impressive though and he dropped 20 lbs. since sr. bowl, so it looks like he spends some time in the weight room.

If we picked a LB which one do you like at 18????

steelcitysfinestXL
03-01-2010, 10:32 PM
I hope not. Not in the first. I know where is he rated, but I would rather trade down than take him.

I think Spiller may go to San Fran with their first of two picks as they need depth at RB and need to improve their passing game. He helps them do both.

I have not been a Cody fan because when you give a guy that weighs 374 a couple million dollars, that's a lot of T-bones. His reps today were impressive though and he dropped 20 lbs. since sr. bowl, so it looks like he spends some time in the weight room.

If we picked a LB which one do you like at 18????h

Honestly, i've been pretty open in sayin i like Spikes better than McClain. I would, at this point, rather trade back and grab Spikes than move up even one spot and grab McClain. My reasons are style of play and play making ability. Spikes is a every down ILB in the 3-4. He had 6 ints and i know he took atleast 3 back to the crib, maybe 4. I think Spikes is more instinctual, aggressive and a better FORM tackler. McClain is a beast, and i wouldnt be mad seeing him at 18. BUT, why not trade back and get a guy who IMHO is just as good. Im looking at the depth of this draft and guys like Nate Allen, Dezmond Briscoe, Dexter McCluster, Donavan Warren and Patrick Robinson, who i think could all be impact guys got after the first round if we traded back from 18 and got an extra pick. So say if we traded back and grabbed ay two of these guys AND Spikes... that to me is a successful draft!

K Train
03-01-2010, 10:37 PM
i really think weatherspoon is gonna be our pick at this point

steelcitysfinestXL
03-01-2010, 10:41 PM

At 18? i wouldnt hate that... i can see him playing all 4 LB positions and thats a GREAT thing. We've been lucky not to lose Silverback or Wood to injury for any period of time. Plus we need depth at OLB and i like the kid.

K Train
03-01-2010, 10:42 PM
he'd play MLB, hes better against the run than timmons and almost as good in coverage...it would be interesting to have them play next to each other

JensK
03-01-2010, 10:45 PM
he'd play MLB, hes better against the run than timmons and almost as good in coverage...it would be interesting to have them play next to each other

It would basically make our 4 LB impossible to do much against, since we would have so many blitz dangerous people. LeBeau would be able to drop whoever in coverage and blitz with whoever and still make it pretty much dangerous every time. WIth Weatherspoon and A. Smith back, this defense just need a new CB to become very very very nasty

steelcitysfinestXL
03-01-2010, 10:59 PM
I like guys at ILB who can stay on the field on obvious passing downs, cover, blitz and play the run coming forward. I see all of those things in Spoon and Spikes.

K Train
03-01-2010, 11:01 PM
id prefer getting thomas at 18 and maybe trading up to get spikes in round 2. that gives us an extra CB/FS and a thumper MLB

steelcitysfinestXL
03-01-2010, 11:02 PM
With Weatherspoon coming on, Spikes is prob gonna drop to the early second. That may be a possibility. Now that would be a draft to get excited about!

Big T
03-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Some notable DBs on the bench:

Joe Haden: 18 reps
Devin McCourty: 16 reps
Kyle Wilson: 25 reps
Earl Thomas: 21 reps
Eric Berry: 19 reps
Taylor Mays: 24 reps
Lucien Antoine: 28 reps

Kyle Wilson and Earl Thomas suprised me in a good way, Taylor Mays on the other hand suprised me in a not so good way...Seeing Earl Thomas put up 21 reps just really enhances my man-crush on him and just solidifies him as my favorite potential pick for the steelers....I know it doesnt really mean much but the fact that he put up more than Eric Berry and only 3 less than Taylor Mays makes me like him even more...

I was expecting more than 24 from Taylor Mays...He weighs 20+ more pounds than Earl Thomas and only put up 3 more reps? come on now....

Im really excited to see the DBs workout tomorrow....I just hope Earl Thomas doesnt raise his stock too much...I want him (in a non-gay way)

K Train
03-01-2010, 11:55 PM
lol mays is a pussy....he was supposed to put on a show, i expected 30+ from him.

little kyle wilson benched more than him? too funny

tburg68
03-02-2010, 12:42 PM

Weatherspoon started to catch my eye at the Senior Bowl. I was impressed with his combine. I just wonder if he has to be taken at 18, or if we could trade back a few spots and still pick him. I would be very happy with a combo of Weatherspoon/Allen, or Thomas/Spikes with our first two picks.

Blazedby92
03-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Why is it such a big deal someone can do 2 or three more reps than the other. I like earl thomas too but I think I'd rather have Berry. The combine is just only a small part of a player I want to see just l like Tebow he's had a freaking awsome combine but teams really don't know where to put him yet so that tells me he is a great athlete not a good QB. The combine is a show and tell show to up your stock for more money. Come today if they did it again for example Hayden might bench 21 and thomas might bench 20 sometimes it's in the how you are feeling and other stuff. Didn't bruce cambell bench more than some projected higher draft picks because even if he did I still would rather have the others.

LatrobePA
03-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Weatherspoon started to catch my eye at the Senior Bowl. I was impressed with his combine. I just wonder if he has to be taken at 18, or if we could trade back a few spots and still pick him. I would be very happy with a combo of Weatherspoon/Allen, or Thomas/Spikes with our first two picks.

He's looking good...

andyg1984
03-02-2010, 01:23 PM
i don't know enought about him yet, but here is a link to something saying he would be a perfect fit for us ... read under 3-2-10

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=72753&draftyear=2010&genpos=OLB

Zachintosh66
03-02-2010, 02:42 PM
After Haden's combine today, he may fall...

coach
03-02-2010, 09:54 PM
I thought he moved well and I was impressed with his combine. He looked like a guy who can both tackle and cover. In comparison, Mays looked real choppy in his strides and movements even though he ran really fast. Weatherspoon was amazingly fluid.

I would love something like a trade down and pick up Weatherspoon and an extra pick.

Regarding Mays, I guess Al Davis is laying awake at night thinking about Mays or some other specimen and wondering which one he should overdraft.

I think guys like Iupati and Mays could get drafted highly and others who fall to bottom half of first round may turn out to have better careers. No surprise there, it happens every year. I just don't want it to turn out to be us that get's the guy who was hyped and the other team who gets the guy who delivers.