PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Sweed?

BlackGold4vr
02-28-2010, 12:11 PM
SUNDAY, FEB. 28

10:40 a.m.: Limas Sweed, who left the team mysteriously last December, has been working out at the Steelers' South Side practice facility and is expected to participate in spring drills, but it doesn't appear as if the Steelers are counting on him for much.

With three legitimate pro WRs already in tow, and Sweed on the fringe, the Steelers appear intent on finding another highly regarded receiver at the combine. First it was Golden Tate, and now it's Citadel WR Andre Roberts, who measured in at 5-10.7, 195 and confirmed he sat for a formal interview yesterday with the Steelers.

Roberts is regarded as a slot receiver, punt returner, special teams cover ace, and a young player who obviously, if we are to judge his college, is a young man of character. Ed Thompson of Scout.com tells me Roberts is a third or fourth-round prospect, and I'd have to agree after watching him perform during Senior Bowl week, a week during which Roberts' status grew markedly.

FRIDAY, FEB. 26

1:45 p.m.: The Steelers have scheduled an interview tonight with Notre Dame wide receiver Golden Tate, bringing back memories of a brief conversation with a scout at mid-season. Tate had just turned in another brilliant performance in a college game and a scout approached me at lunch the next day at Heinz Field. Knowing I'd often compared Tate to Hines Ward, the scout asked, "Did you watch your boy yesterday?" Knowing he had to mean Tate, I asked him if I was far off base in comparing Tate to Ward. The scout flashed a wicked smile and said, "Not at all. It's exactly what I see, too."

Do the Steelers need another wide receiver? Well, did they need two in 1974 when they already had Ron Shanklin and Frank Lewis as starters? Of course, it's a long shot, but the Steeelers have never felt too stocked at that position.

Tate ran a 4.36 and Roberts ran a 4.40 40 at the combine. Both of these guys can fly. If the Steelers bring in another wideout you can write off the Limus Sweed experiment as officially OVER! I don't think the Steelers coaching staff have any confidense in Limus stepping in if any of the top 3 get hurt. I also believe someone like Roberts would be asked to return kicks. Effectively you could replace Stefan Logan and Limus Sweed with the right pick at WO. :2cents:

darnik44
02-28-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm in favor of them drafting Mardy Gilyard personally.

JollyRob68
02-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Citadel WR Andre Roberts in the 3rd would be an awesome pick or RB Toby Gerhart in the 3rd.

steelerfan11
02-28-2010, 02:02 PM
I would love it if they drafted Tate. I doubt it happens but you never know.

BlackGold4vr
02-28-2010, 02:02 PM

If they took a wideout in the first I would prefer Golden Tate who is the consensus best RAC receiver in the draft. I also like all the Hines Ward comparisons that Tate is a tough receiver who likes contact. Sounds like a Steeler type receiver to me. :2cents:

Zachintosh66
02-28-2010, 02:05 PM
no WR first... we need OL or DB as a prioity (could even understand ILB or DL too)

BlackGold4vr
02-28-2010, 02:09 PM
no WR first... we need OL or DB as a prioity (could even understand ILB or DL too)

I agree with you but you never know what might happen. Rarely do they pick who we think they should.

K Train
02-28-2010, 06:53 PM
tate may be there in the second

Black@Gold Forever32
02-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Ok I wouldn't just write off Sweed just yet....Really there is no point to.....Let the kid come in and prove himself no doubt but there is no rush to really cut him.....Sweed doesn't have a huge contract that is killing the team or anything....I'm also not suggesting the Steelers shouldn't draft a WR either...I'm always in favor of adding more weapons for your QB.......But the Steelers not counting on Sweed right now is a bit pre-mature.....Lets see how he responds this training camp/pre-season before giving up on the kid.....lol

DanRooney
02-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Tate might be there in the 2nd but not where we are. We're going to have to trade up to get him in the early second round.

BlackGold4vr
02-28-2010, 07:21 PM
I just think that there are things we don't know about the situation. I agree that Sweed has not had a lot of chances but the coaching staff doesn't seem to have any faith in him at all. If he doesn't come to camp with some determination to make the team I believe another rookie might just punk him down to the #5 spot much like Wallace did this year. :yesnod:

DanRooney
02-28-2010, 07:32 PM
In the early 2nd I'd rather go for Spikes or Pouncey if they're there. I really hope we trade up to grab one of the 3 though with the Rams.

JollyRob68
02-28-2010, 07:35 PM
I cant wai to see both Mel Kipers big board and Scouts inc top 32 after the combine. As well as mock drafts after the combine. Mike Mayock should also have a list after the combine.
I like Sweed and hope he's better.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-28-2010, 08:11 PM
I just think that there are things we don't know about the situation. I agree that Sweed has not had a lot of chances but the coaching staff doesn't seem to have any faith in him at all. If he doesn't come to camp with some determination to make the team I believe another rookie might just punk him down to the #5 spot much like Wallace did this year. :yesnod:

I'm all for a rookie beating out Sweed if a rookie proves himself....I always want the best players to make the roster no matter what....I just don't understand why the Steelers brass is already sticking a fork in Sweed.....Of course Sweed having issues and not proving anything yet is a reason but mini camps havn't started yet this year and the coaches already are giving up on him.....Makes me questions the coaches some and think its crazy to count out Sweed at this point.......If he continues to show no progression in training camp/pre-season then yea cut him......But as I type this its not even March and there is still time for Sweed to prove himself.......

tburg68
02-28-2010, 11:24 PM

I love Gilyard, but would hate him at 18. Plus we shouldn't target a receiver in the first three rounds, too many other needs.

BlackGold4vr
03-01-2010, 10:36 AM

On The Decline

Mardy Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati
Gilyard has had a tremendous offseason so far. He had a great week of practice at the Senior Bowl, was impressive during the game earning offensive MVP honors and witnessed his draft stock maintain its second round status. But on Sunday, in the NFLís ultimate track meet, Gilyardís flaws were exposed. The 6-foot, 187-pound Gilyard, who has playmaking ability, ran a poor 4.56 in the 40, but was able to show his explosion by registering a 39-inch vertical. As good as Gilyard was at the Senior Bowl, he struggled during drills at the Combine. He didnít run crisp routes and dropped a few balls. Gilyard didnít look confident and appeared to having timing issues with the quarterbacks.

On The Rise

Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
One of the most productive wide receivers in the nation over the last two seasons, Tate was known for his explosiveness in space and ability to be a game breaker. But, there were many questions about his straight-line speed. Tate silenced those critics on Sunday when he blazed through the 40 with a 4.42; maybe it was the shiny gold shoes he sported? Tate proved his worth in the 40, but struggled during the gauntlet drill by dropping a few balls. However, he rebounded during receiver drills, was quick in and out of his breaks and didnít drop another ball. Tate was projected to be a late first round pick, but with this latest development, he could end up being a mid first rounder.

Andre Roberts, WR, Citadel
Roberts had a strong week in Mobile at the Senior Bowl, and on Sunday during his workout at the Scouting Combine, he will find his stock continuing to rise after he ran a 4.46 in the 40 and displayed great explosion by posting a 10-foot broad jump. Robertsí athleticism and versatility could make him a third round possibility.

Good call! :hilarious:

andyg1984
03-01-2010, 01:14 PM
glad to see roberts on the site .. i posted him like ten times asking what ev1 thought after the senior bowl and never got any replies .. i would love him as a #4 WR ..

BlackGold4vr
03-01-2010, 01:34 PM
glad to see roberts on the site .. i posted him like ten times asking what ev1 thought after the senior bowl and never got any replies .. i would love him as a #4 WR ..

I only posted the results on Tate and Roberts because these were 2 wideouts that Steeler personell met with at the combine. Seems they had no interest in Gilyard.

steelcitysfinestXL
03-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Good call! :hilarious:

Let me give you two guys who ran slower 40 times than that... Lynn Swann and Jerry Rice... ask around and see if anyone ever caught those two from behind! (FREE-BEE: Jerry rice has admitted Deion did once!) Too much emphasis is put on these combine drills and times. Taylor Mays is gonna tear the combine apart... should we draft him in the first?!?! Put in tape of Mardy Gillyard and watch him dominate... i'd rather have a guy like him (in the second no less) than a work-out wonder in the first! (I know golden tate is a player but its silly to me how Gillyard is discounted!)

--- Added 3/1/2010 at 01:20 PM ---

I only posted the results on Tate and Roberts because these were 2 wideouts that Steeler personell met with at the combine. Seems they had no interest in Gilyard.

I think they are putting the emphasis on finding two way players... ST's coverage AND positional help/depth. If thats the case i think they have the two right guys! Gilyard may not cover kicks but he sure as hell can run them back!

BlackGold4vr
03-01-2010, 04:36 PM
I don't doubt that Gilyard will make some team out there happy. Perhaps one of the reasons the Steelers didn't talk to him is because of the dreaded "character" issues. I have no idea what kind of trouble Gilyard has been in but they were talking about his "character" issues on the NFL network this weekend. We all know the Steelers tend to stay away from players who have had troubled pasts.

:thinking:

steelcitysfinestXL
03-01-2010, 06:16 PM
His "Character" issues are pretty well documented. He lost his scholarship to cinci in 06. For not attending class and other non legal issues that were stipulations of his scholarship. BUT, instead of packing up and transferring to another school, like most kids would have done, he lived out of his car and worked 4 jobs to pay back his tuition to stay at cinci. He had offers from 1-AA schools to come and play but wanted to see through his end of the deal at cinci. Not really anything that would make me shy away from drafting him!

I like the kid for what he can do on the field. His 40 time was to be expected (4.52) and he admitted he needs to work on his starts... but put in a tape and tell me who is catching him from behind? Times and drills can be a bit deceiving. Plus, he didnt ever play WR until 07. He was recruited as a CB/ returner. So he is gonna be a bit raw in his route running on the pro level. But he has skills that cant be taught like vision and elusiveness.

Really the only thing i dont like about him is that he admittedly wants to be a Bengal cause he loves Cinci... that one hurt a bit Mardy!!!

steelerfan11
03-01-2010, 08:46 PM
I thought Gilyard had trouble with illegal drugs. I could be wrong though...

steelcitysfinestXL
03-01-2010, 08:57 PM
I thought Gilyard had trouble with illegal drugs. I could be wrong though...

Would be news to me.. not saying he didnt, i just never read that. i look at the man who played '07 '08 and '09. They said he interviewed VERY well with all coaches, he was compared to Rolle i believe with the way he impressed the coaches in the sit downs... that should say something about the man he is today!

andyg1984
03-01-2010, 09:51 PM
drugs are not as big a red flag as violent crimes, theft, etc ..ev1 in college parties - the ones that steal and get in fights are the bad ones imo .. gilyard slept in his f^in car for like 6 months .. he is hungry - nobody/nothing will take this opportunity from him ...

long term i would rather have the bay-bay of Dwayne Bowe and Anqan Boldin .. demaryius thomas ..

Gettysburgh_Steel
03-01-2010, 10:35 PM
I can't fathom all the fans that say Sweed has not had a chance . He could have been a game changer , and he was . It just went the other way . This will be what .....his 3rd year now ? He has got to prove it in camp now , as to whether he has what it takes or not ! Otherwise he is going into the books as a bust for our Steeler team . We thought he had vision problems at first . The team corrected that . He still could not focus on the ball. This is his year to break out , or let him loose. Ben wanted a tall and lanky wide out ...he got one and nothing happened. He has got to make his mark this year , or he will be another Todd Blackledge. A simple bust . Another Bubby Brister , a Mark Malone .A real nowhere man . Get the picture ?

Blazedby92
03-02-2010, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=steelcitysfinestXL;335269]Let me give you two guys who ran slower 40 times than that... Lynn Swann and Jerry Rice... ask around and see if anyone ever caught those two from behind! (FREE-BEE: Jerry rice has admitted Deion did once!) Too much emphasis is put on these combine drills and times. Taylor Mays is gonna tear the combine apart... should we draft him in the first?!?! Put in tape of Mardy Gillyard and watch him dominate... i'd rather have a guy like him (in the second no less) than a work-out wonder in the first! (I know golden tate is a player but its silly to me how Gillyard is discounted!)

:plus1::clap: