View Full Version : Steelers Combine watch list

Stlrs4Life
02-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Steelers Combine watch list

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10056/1038481-66.stm

NFL Scouting Combine: Defense priority in draft process
Thursday, February 25, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS -- Inside linebacker or nose tackle? Cornerback or guard? It will be a while before the Steelers settle on which position they will attack first with the 18th overall pick in the National Football League draft.

But the process of determining which players might best fill one of those positions begins in earnest when coach Mike Tomlin, director of football operations Kevin Colbert and numerous assistant coaches and scouts attend the NFL combine that starts today at Lucas Oil Stadium. Drills, tests, meetings and medical exams are all on the menu at the league's annual meat market of college talent.

"I think the quality of the draft is excellent," Colbert said. "It's very deep defensively. Offensively, there may not be as many big-name skill positions, but there are a lot of players. It's really a good draft, it really is."

Defense would appear to be a large priority for the Steelers, especially after the manner in which the unit slipped from its No. 1 ranking in 2008 to No. 5 in 2009. And the biggest areas of concern are defensive line, where age and quality of depth are issues; inside linebacker, where there is no young replacement for James Farrior; and cornerback, where quality, not quantity, appears to be lacking.

Some of those questions, though, could be answered today if the Steelers put a franchise tag, as expected, on five-time Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton. His return likely would mean less interest in two of the top nose tackles in the draft -- Terrence Cody of Alabama and Dan Williams of Tennessee.

Colbert said "it's an unusually deep draft" for defensive linemen. "It was unusual before the underclassmen came out. And they just enhanced it."

Here is a look at 10 players about whom the Steelers have interest and will seek answers, at the combine:

• NT Terrence Cody: Alabama ... He is a load in the middle (6 feet 5, 365 pounds) and his conditioning always will be an issue. But, when he wants to play, he is almost impossible to move.

• ILB Rolando McClain: Alabama ... At 6 feet 4, 258 pounds, he is the best inside backer in the draft and could slip as far as the 15th overall pick. That means the Steelers might not have to move up far to get him.

• DE Jared Odrick: Penn State ... A prototypical Steelers lineman who can play the three-technique or five-technique. Plays and looks a lot like Aaron Smith -- stuffing the run while collapsing the pocket.

• CB Joe Haden: Florida ... It's not a good year for cornerbacks, but Haden, who will skip his senior season, likely is the best. The Steelers need someone who can play immediately. They don't need more depth.

• ILB Sean Weatherspoon: Missouri ... At 6-2, 242 pounds, he is not as big as McClain, but he likely is quicker and a little more athletic and will be available. Lined behind Ziggy Hood with the Tigers.

• G/T Mike Iupati: Idaho ... The Steelers need a stud who can come in and play immediately on the offensive line, and Iupati, who opened eyes at the Senior Bowl, could be the guy. He also can play two positions, which the Steelers love.

• WR Golden Tate: Notre Dame ... A tough Hines Ward-type receiver with even more athletic skills who would eventually be Ward's replacement.

• OLB Navorro Bowman: Penn State ... In case you haven't noticed, there isn't a lot of depth at outside linebacker. And James Harrison will be 32 next season.

• DE Corey Wootton: Northwestern ... At 6 feet 6, 280 pounds, he can play defensive end in the 4-3 or 3-4 defense. Appears to have recovered from a knee injury at the end of his junior season.

• G Mike Johnson: Alabama ... Not a first-round pick, but the Steelers could get him on the second or possibly even third round. At 6 feet 6, 305 pounds, he also has the position flexibility to play tackle.

Big T
02-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Um...Earl Thomas? Bryan Bulaga?

K Train
02-26-2010, 01:42 AM
love me some wootton in round 2

weatherspoon is growing on me

Tr305
02-26-2010, 02:15 AM
im all for Joe Haden since our 2ndary is lacking gud cbs if not him Mcclain

DanRooney
02-26-2010, 02:32 AM
Joe Haden? Dude he's going in the top 10.

Realistically, we have a shot at Cody, Dan Williams, Donovan Warren, Trent Williams, Earl Thomas, and Iupati. If someone goes retarded, then MAYBE Bulaga.

K Train
02-26-2010, 03:22 AM
im telling you dont sleep on weatherspoon

A Pac
02-26-2010, 08:58 AM
i am really pumped for the combine and draft this off season. i know this is a steeler's board and i am a brown's fan but i just can't hold it in. we have a 11 draft picks this off season and cannot wait for april 22. this is one of the main reason why i'm glad the browns got holmgren. i know now that mangini won't screw up another draft by tradiing down a million times and getting pennies in return. the browns were the laughing stock of the draft and i'm glad say that it won't happen again.

there is a lot of talent out there in this year's draft and every team should be interested in the combine. i'm interested to see what kind of talent comes out of the mid to late rounds and how many of those guys will make an nfl roster. the steelers should do well in this draft because of there mid-round position. we all know their front office can draft so i would be very optimistic going into the spring if i were a steeler fan.

steelcitysfinestXL
02-26-2010, 01:49 PM
I will NOT be thrilled if we move UP to get ANYBODY (other than Eric Berry) I, personally, like Spikes as much as McClain. Spikes can be traded back for, maybe even picked up in the second.

What good is a tough, bump-n-run, man corner (Haden) in a defense where the cornerbacks play 6+ yards off the ball every play??? Yeah, he may be a good pro CB... but line him up 6-10 yards off his man and he's probley a middle of the pack cornerback. I'd once again rather trade back and grab Warren/Cox/Robinson in the 2nd to third rounds. Theres a reason its been 13 years since we've taken a corner in the first. Chad Scott was the last 1st round CB we took (1997)... i think thats a great example why CB's arent a 1st round picks in Pittsburgh. You can get guys in the 2nd+ rounds to play CB in our scheme.

coldrolled
02-26-2010, 03:12 PM
I will NOT be thrilled if we move UP to get ANYBODY (other than Eric Berry) I, personally, like Spikes as much as McClain. Spikes can be traded back for, maybe even picked up in the second.

What good is a tough, bump-n-run, man corner (Haden) in a defense where the cornerbacks play 6+ yards off the ball every play??? Yeah, he may be a good pro CB... but line him up 6-10 yards off his man and he's probley a middle of the pack cornerback. I'd once again rather trade back and grab Warren/Cox/Robinson in the 2nd to third rounds. Theres a reason its been 13 years since we've taken a corner in the first. Chad Scott was the last 1st round CB we took (1997)... i think thats a great example why CB's arent a 1st round picks in Pittsburgh. You can get guys in the 2nd+ rounds to play CB in our scheme.

lets move up and get eric berry.

then sign one or two free agents that we need to fill in on OL and DL.

we have plenty of draft picks from the last two years still to use and develop.

we need Berry now, he will start right away.

or stay put and pick Earl or Taylor Mays.. if the quality OL picks are used up.

K Train
02-26-2010, 03:15 PM
bite your tongue about taylor mays

Big T
02-26-2010, 03:40 PM
I really do like Weatherspoon but hes not the type of ILB we need...He's like Lawrence Timmons v.2...He's athletically a monster and hes quick(not quite as quick as Timmons though)....I just think we need a thumper like McClain or Spikes in the middle next to Timmons...he can probably play the run a little better than Timmons but thats not saying much...unless you want to draft Weatherspoon for depth and he can play some OLB and come in on passing downs for Farrior...with all that being said, I wouldnt hate the pick...

the 4-3 may be coming sooner than we expect haha

steelcitysfinestXL
02-26-2010, 03:56 PM
bite your tongue about taylor mays

:lol: I'd love to have him... just not in the first round... where he will get drafted!!! AND not as a immediate starter. I think i guy like Mays, needs to be coached up and work his way into a starting role.

coldrolled
02-26-2010, 04:29 PM
:lol: I'd love to have him... just not in the first round... where he will get drafted!!! AND not as a immediate starter. I think i guy like Mays, needs to be coached up and work his way into a starting role.

i think mays will be fine, we may get him..... i actually would like to see troy and taylor together... i think troy would make taylor a complete player.

he has the tools... hes a beast...

i honestly have no idea how smart he is..

anyone else know that?

Big T
02-26-2010, 09:06 PM
i honestly have no idea smart he is..

anyone else no that?

http://www.mynfldraft.com/players/Taylor%20Mays.jpg

^^^ I think that pretty much says it all

K Train
02-26-2010, 09:40 PM

4 year starters at USC on some elite defenses and you have to be coached up still t be effective? **** that....red flag

BlackGold4vr
02-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Iupati interviewed at length Thursday with new offensive line coach Sean Kugler and said the Steelers showed great interest in his ability.

"They said I was their No. 1 lineman," said Iupati, who was born and raised in American Samoa. "They were great. He said he really liked how I played on the goal [line]. He said you never know what can happen."

Ending up with the Steelers would be fine with Iupati.

"Most of my relatives are all Steelers fans," he said.

As much as most of us want a franchise LT I think the Steelers are happy with the ones they have. If we take any offensive lineman I believe Iuputi and Pouncey are the most likely to wind up in black and gold. :yesnod:

JensK
02-27-2010, 01:37 PM
I would not be pleased with Iupati at 18. Just dont like him all that much, and we have much bigger needs than a guard...

coldrolled
02-27-2010, 06:00 PM
I would not be pleased with Iupati at 18. Just dont like him all that much, and we have much bigger needs than a guard...

watch the senior bowl again. iupati didnt do real well. looked beat alot.

Eric Olsen Center played good, looks good today at the combine also and benches like a beast.

#2 pick - Center for us.

#1 pick - Bulaga

andyg1984
02-27-2010, 07:37 PM
how good did trent williams look today?? also thought pouncey looked good too .. not a big combine guy, but with the OL you can really see which ones can move ..

Big T
02-27-2010, 08:10 PM
watch the senior bowl again. iupati didnt do real well. looked beat alot.

Eric Olsen Center played good, looks good today at the combine also and benches like a beast.

#2 pick - Center for us.

#1 pick - Bulaga

Eris Olsen isnt that good....You keep pimpin him like he's Nick Mangold...He wont be picked before the 4-5th round...come on now...We get that you like him but lets be realistic....you must be a Notre Dame fan...(im not trying to call you out or be a d*ck)

And i can honestly say that I don't expect Bulaga to make it out of the top-15....there could easily be 4 tackles taken in the top 8....Im still hoping for Earl Thomas or that McClain falls to maybe 10-11 and we trade up...

coldrolled
02-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Eris Olsen isnt that good....You keep pimpin him like he's Nick Mangold...He wont be picked before the 4-5th round...come on now...We get that you like him but lets be realistic....you must be a Notre Dame fan...(im not trying to call you out or be a d*ck)

And i can honestly say that I don't expect Bulaga to make it out of the top-15....there could easily be 4 tackles taken in the top 8....Im still hoping for Earl Thomas or that McClain falls to maybe 10-11 and we trade up...

Actually live and breath UF im in Fort Myers

We will see on Olsen i just like the attitude he has.... If Campbell and any other OL make the top 15 someone has to fall to us... Everyone cant take an OL...

Maybe we can get Campbell or Bulaga

tburg68
02-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Im still hoping for Earl Thomas or that McClain falls to maybe 10-11 and we trade up...

I would rather trade down and get Spikes than trade up for McClain.

Big T
02-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Actually live and breath UF im in Fort Myers

We will see on Olsen i just like the atiude he has.... If Campbell and any other OL make the top 15 someone has to fall to us... Everyone cant take an OL...

Maybe we can get Campbell or Bulaga

I hear you....you just went up a bit in my book haha....I'm a gators fan aswell...and I used to live in Ft. Myers, Naples, and Ocala(used to move a lot as a kid)...

I would be happy with Bulaga bit I would be extremely pissed if Bruce Campbell was the pick...I used to like him but he is just like Taylor Mays...he has all the physical tools to play LT(sh*t he could play Tight end too) but he's just not good...he looks so lost out there most of the time...he is ok in pass protection but is down right horrible in the run game...I wouldn't touch him in the first....I might not even take him before the third...he's just not good

darnik44
02-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Offensive Linemen who could be gone by #18.

2. Detroit - Russell Okung, Oklahoma State

5. Kansas City -Bryan Bulaga, Iowa

8. Oakland - Bruce Campbell, Maryland

9. Buffalo - Anthony Davis

13. San Francisco - Trent Williams

17. San Francisco - Mike Iupati

note: Washington (#2), Denver (#11), Seattle (#14), New York Giants (#15), and Tennessee (#16) could also be in the mix for either a tackle or Mike Iupati (Denver and Tennessee for Iupati)

It really looks like an offensive linemen in the first may be out of the question without trading up. I think Trent Williams is too much like Willie Colon, and isn't a good left tackle prospect. I think you almost have to cross him off the list. I think Anthony Davis may be the most likely to fall to us at this point. If he's there, I think he has to be the pick. Boom or bust though, seems to be a bit of an immature kid.

coldrolled
02-27-2010, 10:58 PM

note: Washington (#2), Denver (#11), Seattle (#14), New York Giants (#15), and Tennessee (#16) could also be in the mix for either a tackle or Mike Iupati (Denver and Tennessee for Iupati)

It really looks like an offensive linemen in the first may be out of the question without trading up. I think Trent Williams is too much like Willie Colon, and isn't a good left tackle prospect. I think you almost have to cross him off the list. I think Anthony Davis may be the most likely to fall to us at this point. If he's there, I think he has to be the pick. Boom or bust though, seems to be a bit of an immature kid.

if this happens, then we will have a good shot at some great Defensive Players.

plus if the rams pick a QB that will force another solid player toward the 18 pick.

--- Added 2/27/2010 at 08:58 PM ---

Rams are looking hard...

Rams to Meet With Bradford Tonight
Howard Balzer of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat reports that Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford will meet with the St. Louis Rams tonight.

"Rams will meet with Sam Bradford tonight. Bradford came off poised and personable with the media today. He has 'it'", Balzer posted to Twitter.

darnik44
02-27-2010, 11:32 PM
if this happens, then we will have a good shot at some great Defensive Players.

plus if the rams pick a QB that will force another solid player toward the 18 pick.

--- Added 2/27/2010 at 08:58 PM ---

Rams are looking hard...

Rams to Meet With Bradford Tonight
Howard Balzer of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat reports that Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford will meet with the St. Louis Rams tonight.

"Rams will meet with Sam Bradford tonight. Bradford came off poised and personable with the media today. He has 'it'", Balzer posted to Twitter.

Weather it's the Rams, Redskins, Seahawks, Bills, Broncos, or 49ers, Clausen and Bradford will both be drafted at some point prior to 18th.

coach
02-28-2010, 12:31 AM
I can't believe this guys gets mentioned as someone the steelers would take at 18. I think others noticed how poorly he showed at the senior bowl. I think Kansas City was hoping Brandon Albert was going to possibly become a tackle and they took him early too. How did that turn out for them? I think the fact that they appear to be targeting a tackle this year means things didn't go so well. I am not trying to say he stinks or anything, but we got to do better than that at 18.

darnik44
02-28-2010, 07:45 AM
I can't believe this guys gets mentioned as someone the steelers would take at 18. I think others noticed how poorly he showed at the senior bowl. I think Kansas City was hoping Brandon Albert was going to possibly become a tackle and they took him early too. How did that turn out for them? I think the fact that they appear to be targeting a tackle this year means things didn't go so well. I am not trying to say he stinks or anything, but we got to do better than that at 18.

Something everyone needs to realize about Mike Iupati is he is still learning English. The crash course these players go through in just one week of preparation at the Senior Bowl is tough for all the players. Immagine also struggling with the English. I would be a whole different case if he was in training camp, and then practice throughout the year.

Iupati really only struggled when he wasn't in his natural left guard position. At LG he played fine.

He is a top 20 pick.

coldrolled
02-28-2010, 09:41 AM
I would rather trade down and get Spikes than trade up for McClain.

if all these OL players go before #18

Earl will be there and a few other good defensive players for sure.
I like the pick for Earl Thomas.

If only Haden is picked as the top CB. Is Wilson or Robinson worth the #18

I still think Mays will be a good player at Safety/ILB/ST

--- Added 2/28/2010 at 07:41 AM ---

he is a guard.. a top one in the ratings.

do we need a guard?

or do we need a tackle and flex one of our tackles to a guard position?

coldrolled
02-28-2010, 11:16 PM

Hey, Center Eric Olsen showed up with the bigs guys in the bench press and vertical jump.

just say'in :yellowthumb:

#52 - Center - Olsen... :grin1:

JollyRob68
03-01-2010, 02:45 AM
Sean Weatherspoon. perhaps a trade back to pick up a 2nd rounder.

coldrolled
03-01-2010, 09:30 AM

this may add the redskins to the list.

Redskins' Samuels Expected to Announce Retirement
Jason Reid of the Washington Post reports that Washington Redskins left tackle Chris Samuels is expected to announce his retirement this week.

K Train
03-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Thaddeus Gibson put up a MEAN 32 reps for his size, and looked silky smooth in the drills. i love me some gibson in round 2. idk if he ran a 40 yet ive just seen clips

Zachintosh66
03-01-2010, 11:58 PM
another buckeye i wouldnt mind in about the 4th, Kurt Coleman

thats if we dont get Earl Thomas :)

K Train
03-02-2010, 12:02 AM
gibson lifted as much as suh despite being 60lbs smaller and ran well and looked good in the drills...i might have a crush on him

Big T
03-02-2010, 12:57 AM
gibson lifted as much as suh despite being 60lbs smaller and ran well and looked good in the drills...i might have a crush on him

Oh the offseason, where we fall in love with guys (in a non-gay way), just to end up having our hearts broken when we pick the Evander Hoods of the world...I just hope I dont get my heart broken when it comes to Earl Thomas...

K Train
03-02-2010, 01:04 AM
gibson has been a year long favorite of mine....wherever he goes, im starting him in madden lol

Big T
03-02-2010, 01:11 AM
I hear you...Ive paid a lot of attention to him this year and i really liked what I saw...He's one of those tweeners that the steelers love...I think he could end up being a monster...I was excited when i found out he was declaring this year...I thought we could grab him in the 3rd-4th...sh*t, not anymore...Id like him in the second, no doubt...

andyg1984
03-02-2010, 08:30 AM
big t, what is up with the icon? why did mayock move thomas ahead of berry this weekend?

not sure about gibson myself ... i still like selvie in rounds 3-4 ... not big on combine stuff, but he did a reasonable amount of reps (24) for his length ..

coldrolled
03-02-2010, 09:35 AM
big t, what is up with the icon? why did mayock move thomas ahead of berry this weekend?

not sure about gibson myself ... i still like selvie in rounds 3-4 ... not big on combine stuff, but he did a reasonable amount of reps (24) for his length ..

Selvie's a Bull. our #3 pick... he would be cool in B&G.

Big T
03-02-2010, 01:56 PM

I had the Eric Berry icon and stuff up there for a while as my dream pick, but my favorite potential(realistic) pick for the steelers has always been Earl Thomas so I finally changed it...

Mayocks said his reason for putting Earl Thomas ahead of Berry is that the NFL has become a more passing league where offenses like to spread out a defense, so you need to have a FS with range and instincts...He believes Earl Thomas has the best range out of any safety in the draft and the best instincts on tape hes ever seen in a safety...While I love Earl Thomas, hes not quite on Eric Berry's level....

andyg1984
03-02-2010, 03:01 PM
i agree .. berry is the type of dude that only comes around once every several years ..

thomas is like the opposite of ryan clark in many ways --- and i f^in love it!

darnik44
03-02-2010, 03:14 PM
There were 27 prospects who ran sub 4.5 40's (Official Time)

Ford was the fastest by a large margin, Taylor Mays was credited with a 4.43.

Here they are... (http://www.nfldraftspot.com/news-and-information/combine/buzz-news-information/493-combine-27-prospects-run-sub-45-40s.html)