PDA

View Full Version : Steelers, Hampton closing in on multi-year deal

SteelCityKid5
02-24-2010, 11:03 PM
"The Pittsburgh Steelers are making significant progress on a multi-year deal with NT Casey Hampton, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
The Steelers would place a franchise tag on Hampton if they cannot work out a long-term deal, but the sides are “close to reaching an agreement” according to the source.
The Steelers are also negotiating with K Jeff Reed, another potential unrestricted free agent, and plan to place either a franchise or transition tag on Reed, depending on the outcome with the Hampton negotiations, the source said.
Safety Ryan Clark has also been in talks with the Steelers about a new deal ahead of the March 5 deadline for the start of free agency." - Jason La Canfora

Not real sure about the source but hell, it's the off-season. I figured I'd post it

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2010, 12:36 AM
If they can reach an 11th hour deal with Hampton, that will free them up from using the tag on the big snack and they can keep it handy in case the talks with Reed start to go south before FA starts.

I don't think they'll consider using the Franchise on Clark, if it's available to them, regardless. I could see them transitioning Clark possibly but that's not likely to happen unless a deal gets done with Hampton before the deadline for tagging tomorrow.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-25-2010, 01:41 AM
Just sign the three deal that is being rumored Casey....Plus I heard its like for 12 million guaranteed......I don't blame a player for wanting break the bank one last time but 12 million is nothing sneeze especially for a player in the twilight of his career like Casey so just take the deal and retire a Steeler......Would be nice way for Casey to end his career a Steeler......

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2010, 01:45 AM
It would be the smart thing to do, even if they sign him to a 4 or 5 yr deal, he wont see more than 12 million of it anyways. Can't blame the guy for wanting to get all he can since this will be his last deal realistically, but hopefully they can work it out regardless.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-25-2010, 01:46 AM
I would like to see Casey signed to finish his career with the Steelers.....He has helped this team win two rings so I'm kind of sentimental with Big Snack....Steelers still need to draft a young NT even if they do reach a multi-year deal with Casey....

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2010, 01:57 AM
Hell yeah, even when he had his training camp weight issues you just knew he wasn't going to be denied a starting spot when the regular season hit. The fact that he's been able to take that like a man and move on, wanting to stay in Pittsburgh if possible, shows his commitment to the team and to Lebeau. I'd love to see him spend the rest of his career here; either way though, yeah Tomlin has got to draft his replacement if not this year then next for sure.

Once we get a NT we keep them forever, just like we used to do with Centers. I'd bet most people couldn't name the last NT's that we had besides Hampton and Joel Steed :lol: Given the fact that they are rare in the draft and even more in FA, you have to spend a high round pick on one or spend out the azz in FA.

cmerrifield
02-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Somebody tweeted, steeler_news I think, they can announce this deal today, which then probably means Franchise Reed and Transition Clark

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Just got a text from KDKA that Hampton agreed to a deal. More details later today.

edit...

CLosed and redirected here..

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24072