PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Reed to get transition tag..**Update 2/25**Reed gets Franchise tag**

Big T
02-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Jeff Reed to get transition tag
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 23, 2010 7:34 PM ET

The Steelers will take full advantage of the rules governing the uncapped season.

On the same day word leaked that the team will use the franchise tag on Casey Hampton, NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports the team will use the transition tag on kicker Jeff Reed.

Reed can sign an offer sheet elsewhere, but the Steelers will have the right to match the offer. The eight-year veteran will make $2.629 million if he signs a one-year contract as the team's transition player.

We won't be surprised if Reed plays under the one-year contract. The recent Sebastian Janikowski contract could make a long-term deal tough, but the presence of Jay Feely, Neil Rackers, and Shayne Graham on the open market may keep teams from bothering to bring in Reed.

Add it all up, and the Steelers should be keeping their very own liquored up kicker.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/23/jeff-reed-to-get-transition-tag/

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2010, 08:54 AM
It's the right move to transition Reed at this point, that Janikowski deal will gives teams headaches trying to sign kickers now. In the end Reed will probably end up signing a long term deal but this will give us time to do that; by locking him into a transition tag.

A Pac
02-24-2010, 09:18 AM
i wouldn't want reed. he proved last season that he isn't one of the elite clutch kickers in the league and really doesn't have the range that other kickers do. i'm not saying that it's easy to nail a 50 plus yarder, but almost every other kicker in the league had at least two made from that distance. reed should be thankful that the steelers signed him because i don't know how many other teams would have locked him up.

another reason why reed is no good is his character. my uncle is the head security guard at the mellon arena and says that reed is the biggest a hole on the planet and that he's come close to tossing him out. he said that reed comes in, is cocky, rude to everyone and here's the biggie: hits on teenage girls all the time. this guy is disgusting and needs to go. at this point in reed's career, it would be more beneficial to draft the best kicker in the 4th or 5th round.

steelersbabex25
02-24-2010, 03:02 PM
i wouldn't want reed. he proved last season that he isn't one of the elite clutch kickers in the league and really doesn't have the range that other kickers do. i'm not saying that it's easy to nail a 50 plus yarder, but almost every other kicker in the league had at least two made from that distance. reed should be thankful that the steelers signed him because i don't know how many other teams would have locked him up.

another reason why reed is no good is his character. my uncle is the head security guard at the mellon arena and says that reed is the biggest a hole on the planet and that he's come close to tossing him out. he said that reed comes in, is cocky, rude to everyone and here's the biggie: hits on teenage girls all the time. this guy is disgusting and needs to go. at this point in reed's career, it would be more beneficial to draft the best kicker in the 4th or 5th round.

We all know that Reed is not the classiest guy around, and although it's unfortunate, class (or lack there of) doesn't count for anything on the field. And as far as on the field goes, I think what you're forgetting is that the Steelers play at Heinz Field. Heinz Field is by far not the easiest place to kick at. It would be difficult and take a while for the Steelers to bring in a new guy and have him become acclimated to kicking at that stadium. I think Steelers fans are generally happy that he's staying..hopefully he'll work on his kickoffs a little more.

75Steeler
02-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Yeah Jeff is an *** off the field just like several other NFL players we have all heard about. But he does kick field goals fairly consistently and he kicks well at Heinz Field. All in all I'm happy they are keeping him.

Sir Blitzelot
02-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah Jeff is an *** off the field just like several other NFL players we have all heard about. But he does kick field goals fairly consistently and he kicks well at Heinz Field. All in all I'm happy they are keeping him.

:plus1: The guy is money when it comes to kicking at home, I'm a fan of this move.

Gettysburgh_Steel
02-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Jeff Reed is not all that great . We needed him for something other than to kick that , so called "clutch field goal" . He has been a thorn in our side since Cower left . You have to have a guy that can kick on the road too ! Does that ring a bell in anyones head ? Who cares about how well you kick at home . Thats where you eat and sleep . I want a kicker that can go on the road and perform also . If that dude expects more than what we offer him , then i would not mind if he hightailed it out of town . He kicked well in our new stadium , but who is anyone to say that another guy could not do just as well. It's time to bring in the youngbloods , in every aspect of our game . That includes ..."the i can't kick the ball high" , and in the endzone at the same time , guy Reed . His kickoffs are absolutely pathetic , his kicks are so short , it is not surprising that our special teams lack .The ball always gets there before they are set up . Its my opinion , i know , but Reed can get the ---k out anytime he chooses . It might be a blessing in disguise .

LatrobePA
02-24-2010, 09:43 PM
We'd survive with out him!!

TampaSteelGirl
02-25-2010, 12:03 PM

I do have to disagree slightly...although he is an assclown off field without a doubt...he rarely misses a kick and it's even more of a rareity to have him miss a "must need..game winning" kick and can make the big 50ish yard kicks when needed...I think we should keep him...sign him to a long term contract BUT make sure in his contract he gets put in time out (meaning fined severely) if he acts out at all!!!! there see I fixed it...:yellowthumb:

Oh and he needs fined severely whenever he just love taps any player running for a TD post kick off or punt......

Zachintosh66
02-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Sounds like he gonna get even more $... Franchise Tag is the word...

steelersbabex25
02-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Franchised.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/02/25/steelers-sign-nt-hampton-franchise-k-jeff-reed/

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Pittsburgh Steelers avoided having to use their franchise player tag on nose tackle Casey Hampton, signing him Thursday to a three-year, $21 million contract. Instead, the team designated kicker Jeff Reed as its franchise player -- and sidestepped a potentially contentious situation with Hampton, whom the Steelers say they consider a foundation piece for their defense.

"It was very important to our organization to have a player of Casey's caliber signed for what we think is the rest of his career," Steelers Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert said Thursday morning at the NFL Scouting Combine. "He means a lot to our organization. Casey Hampton is the anchor of our defense and has been for a while."

Had the Steelers designated Hampton their franchise s player, they'd have had to pay him slightly more than $7 million in 2010. The new deal guarantees Hampton $11 million and would pay him $7 million per year for three years if he plays to its conclusion.

The Steelers will also keep Reed off the market with a franchise tender of $2.814 million, though Colbert said they're also working on a long-term deal with him.

"Our goal is to lock Jeff up and have him finish his career with the Steelers," Colbert said. "It's like Casey and his agent. As long as the player and agents are willing and want to stay with the team and the team wants them, you're going to get a deal done. And we want to keep Jeff as long as we can."

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2010, 04:41 PM
This is great news, not only did we lock up Hampton without having to tag him, we were able to tag Reed and hopefully get a long term deal done. At the very least the franchise money won't cost us near as much as it would have for Hampton, so all in all it's a great day to be a Steeler fan!

K Train
02-25-2010, 05:52 PM
great....kickoffs to the 10 for another year and KR for touchdowns while jeff pretends to slam his face into the turf

Stlrs4Life
02-25-2010, 09:31 PM
I want to keep Reed, but if he goes, I wouldn't lose any sleep. When Cowher called Reed in, we were pretty desperate for a K, Reed turned out pretty good, we can find another.

tburg68
02-26-2010, 03:50 PM
great....kickoffs to the 10 for another year and KR for touchdowns while jeff pretends to slam his face into the turf

We have a winner! I think the key to our kick coverage would be to get someone who could kickoff!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Looks like he officially signed the franchise offer. Personally I hope they get a long term deal done before the season starts; containing a clause that involves the stipulation that he stay away from towel dispensers :D

Steelers sign Reed to one-year contract
Tuesday, April 13, 2010

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Kicker Jeff Reed signed a one-year contract with the Steelers this morning for $2,814,000.
The contract was tendered to Reed when the Steelers identified him as their franchise player before he would have become an unrestricted free agent. Reed had little choice but to sign the deal and there was no looming deadline for him to do so.
His agent and the Steelers continue to negotiate on a long-term contract for Reed.
"It's our goal to try to keep working and see him stay for a long time in Pittsburgh,'' Don Henderson said. "They told us that's what they want and that's what we want. They've been dealing with us and talking to us. Hopefully, we'll sign a long-term contract and he will remain in Pittsburgh.''

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10103/1050087-100.stm#ixzz0l18WanF9

Dobre Shunka
04-14-2010, 04:21 PM
He puts points on the board just about every time we put him on the field for the FG.

Good move period.