PDA

View Full Version : Steelers close to deal with Hampton...**Update 2/25, signs 3 yr. deal**

Big T
02-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Casey Hampton isn't going anywhere
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 23, 2010 11:44 AM ET

The Steelers are planning to use the franchise tag on nose tackle Casey Hampton this week barring a long-term contract extension, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

Hampton, 32, said previously he doesn't want to be tagged. But the Steelers have worked towards a new contract for him and will continue to do so if they have to use the franchise tag.

The situation is very similar to Vince Wilfork's in New England. The Steelers aren't just going to let a valuable part of the team walk away and they will try to assuage any frustration about the tag by working towards a long-term agreement.

It just goes to show how valuable a true nose tackle is in a 3-4 defense, no matter what condition he's in when he shows up to training camp.

Permalink 14 Comments Latest stories in: Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Rumors, Pittsburgh Steelers, Top Stories

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/23/casey-hampton-isnt-going-anywhere/

Blazedby92
02-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Sweet, Atleast one more year to help groom someone maybe

LatrobePA
02-23-2010, 05:19 PM
He'll be pissed!

Zachintosh66
02-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I dont understand why guys would be pissed? Its not like were a "Lions or Browns-like" team or has any bridge been burned on either saide. With the tag your going to promised to be one of the highest paid if you cant come to a long term deal. To me thats a win-win situation. Maybe im looking at it wrong tho.

JensK
02-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Dont they have the rights to offer him a long term deal after the franchise tag is placed? Didnt they do that with Starks last year? This would just be a way to at least lock him, so other teams wont get a chance to bid on him. With Wilfork being tagged too, we may get him a lil cheaper too.

I dont see why its such a big deal for him anyways. He'll make like 7 mil or something, which he wont get anywhere with a deal of some sort, besides, he may face a potential lockout, which means he could be without any income for a year. I would take the 7 mil, be a happy man in 2011 with all my shiny money, and sign with someone who would be willing to take an old player for big money.

Big T
02-23-2010, 08:32 PM
I dont understand why guys would be pissed? Its not like were a "Lions or Browns-like" team or has any bridge been burned on either saide. With the tag your going to promised to be one of the highest paid if you cant come to a long term deal. To me thats a win-win situation. Maybe im looking at it wrong tho.

I dont think they should be pissed at getting franchised but i understand some viewpoints....They want job security, they want to get a big muti-year deal while they can...franchising someone delays that and a possible injury could ruin in and may cost them millions....I would consider it a complement...It means they want you here and they are willing to pay a lot to keep you...

Still though...I wont complain if you want to pay me 7 million for a year...Sh*t, I'd do just about anything for that...and I do mean anything :yesnod:....haha

--- Added 2/23/2010 at 07:32 PM ---

[QUOTE=JensK;334784]Dont they have the rights to offer him a long term deal after the franchise tag is placed? Didnt they do that with Starks last year?QUOTE]

Yes and yes

cmerrifield
02-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I think as long as the long term deal is the goal for both sides, he can just deal with the tag

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2010, 08:52 PM
No shocker here since we only have Chris Hoke on the roster who could replace Casey right away........I know Hoke did a fine job when Casey was lost for the season back in 2004.....But that was 6 years ago and Hoke is also old and is past his prime......The Steelers need to draft young NT even if they reach a 2-4 year deal with Casey Hampton......

LatrobePA
02-23-2010, 09:26 PM
What if he blows his knee out tagged? Had he been released and signed to a 3 year deal with guaranteed money no worries he's still getting paid, I guess this is why I could see players being PO'd...

andyg1984
02-23-2010, 10:20 PM
we still need to get some youth on the D line .. if he is only going to be around for one year i think we need to go after cody ..

Silverback
02-23-2010, 11:00 PM
I think if anything this means Dan Williams has a better shot of becoming a steeler, as a guy who couldn't necessarily play right away he could take the season to get bigger and learn the d. Don't get me wrong cody would be fine too but i think at this point williams is seen as the more skilled, ceiling guy and cody is 370 pounds of man. And I mean that in the best possible way.

andyg1984
02-24-2010, 08:20 AM
imo cody could occupy more bodies relative to williams which would do wonders for timmons .. if cody loses the weight (even 15-20 lbs) i think he has more upside than williams does .. i like how williams can make plays, but it seems like pure NT's like cody do not come around very often - i think he is the best NT in this years draft, last years draft, the draft before that and possibly next year ..

plus, cody is the best FB in the draft .. haha

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2010, 08:59 AM
No shocker here since we only have Chris Hoke on the roster who could replace Casey right away........I know Hoke did a fine job when Casey was lost for the season back in 2004.....But that was 6 years ago and Hoke is also old and is past his prime......The Steelers need to draft young NT even if they reach a 2-4 year deal with Casey Hampton......

:iagree: Chris Hoke is a solid backup but Casey is a beast in the middle for us, and in a 34 defense you absolutely must, must, must have a top notch NT or the whole thing just won't work. Finding a franchise NT like Casey isn't easy, in fact it's probably as difficult as finding a franchise QB or shut down corner. There just aren't many of them in the draft each year and any that enter FA get snatched up in a hot second for big money.

The Steelers hold the upper hand here, which is why Casey didn't want tagged. If they could find a NT in the draft that they like then they can tag Hampton for 1 year and then let him walk. If they are smart though they will get him like a 3yr deal and draft a NT next year. Either way both parties win but the Steelers will be taking care of themselves for the long haul.

LatrobePA
02-24-2010, 11:37 AM
The Steelers then could attempt to sign the 10-year veteran to a long-term contract, much like they did last season when they named left tackle Max Starks their franchise player and eventually signed him to a four-year, $26.3 million contract that included a $10 million signing bonus.

Talk about a waste of money!

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10055/1038123-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0gTKYr3VE

TampaSteelGirl
02-24-2010, 11:40 AM
They've lost their damn minds!!!!

I"m sorry but there is so much talent out there to grab up...why would be waste money like this...:cursin:

AND not to mention he is 33 freaking years old and WAY too fat!!!!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Guys, this isn't a new thing here :lol: , giving Casey the franchise tag is the right move here. We don't have anyone to step in and be the stud NT that you need in a 34 defense. Tag him, and then either sign him to a learn term deal where you give him a nice amount of guaranteed to make him happy and then backload the rest of the deal, figuring that he won't play out the entire thing. Or you sign him to a 1 yr deal, and then do nothing and draft a NT to take his place next year...Or you sign him to a 4 yr deal and draft his replacement in 2011 and then release him the following year.

That's how the NFL works these days, you have to cover your butt and getting Casey tagged is the best way to do that.

Quite honestly, the Starks thing was a disaster because we had nobody else to take his place and we dug that whole for ourselves long before Max got his money.

JollyRob68
02-24-2010, 01:21 PM
TAgging Casey is smart and its a little more than he got paid last year. Allow him to seek trades and he will see that people wont part with the first round draft choices for a 33 yr old 2 down NT or they can call and negotiate. Kc has two 2nd round picks I'd take or Contact the Raider about Nymdi & Casey trade. Rumor is Nymdi is on the trade block but his contract is the problem. Get permission to talk to him and get the extension done. This would make CB a low priority in the draft and we can get a good NT in 2nd or 3rd round and perhaps take JAred Odrick in the first.

LatrobePA
02-24-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm fine with Casey, and understand the jam we were in with Starks, but damn that's a lot of $$$ for a worthless bag LT.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Trust me, I totally agree..the front office took a serious punch right on the chops with that move. The fact that we let Starks hang around and not go out and get ourselves a franchise LT pretty much put the ball in his corner. As I remember there wasn't anyone available in FA to sign at that point to come in right away and since we ignored OL in the draft we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

LatrobePA
02-24-2010, 04:23 PM
How does it work? Can they cut him is a replacement is drafted or picked up?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2010, 04:44 PM
They can cut him whenever they want, however doing so after he just signed a new deal is going to cost them a bunch against the cap and they have nothing to show for it...so it's not cost effective to do so. The way the Steelers spread out signing bonuses over the length of the contract and the all the money that is guaranteed in the early part of the deal would make it a bad move. When you couple that with the cost of bringing in a replacement, you could end up paying 1 new guy to play but the overall cap hit would be like paying 3 or 4 players.

andyg1984
02-24-2010, 10:00 PM
close to long term deal?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35572338/ns/sports-player_news/

ejsteeler
02-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Source: Hampton Agrees To Contract With Steelers
PITTSBURGH (KDKA)

numSlides of totalImages Related StoriesHampton, Harrison Make Pro Bowl
(12/30/2009)
A key player has reportedly agreed to a new contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

A source says nose tackle Casey Hampton has agreed to a three year, $21 million
contract to stay with the team with $11 million of the contract guaranteed.

Today is the deadline for the Steelers to use either of their franchise or transition tags.

Safety Ryan Clark and kicker Jeff Reed are still unsigned.

http://kdka.com/steelers/Casey.Hampton.Steelers.2.1519203.html
Good news.......

Zachintosh66
02-25-2010, 08:22 AM
3 years... may not take a DT first this year afterall.

Hopefully this isnt the same d-bag who reported BA was fired... lol. Hampton isnt the long term answer but hes still a beast and were a better football team with him on the roster rather than him being gone and being stuck with a rookie or backup.

DIESELMAN
02-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Good deal!!! didn't want us to draft a DT in the 1st rd no matter what, now we can focus on drafting a OL in the 1st rd.

Zachintosh66
02-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Good deal!!! didn't want us to draft a DT in the 1st rd no matter what, now we can focus on drafting a OL in the 1st rd.

agreed OL #1, CB #2

A Pac
02-25-2010, 08:57 AM
is he really worth the money at this point? yes, when he is in and healthy he is a force to be reckoned with. however, the nagging injuries matched with the fact that he is a two down player drastically reduces his value in my opinion. i think that the franchise tag would have been perfect for him and the steelers could have negotiated at the end of the season if he produced and stayed healthy.

igor0190
02-25-2010, 09:00 AM
D-Line is the deepest position in the draft. Hopefully we can have a guy fall into the second round to us and use our first pick on the O-line.

coldrolled
02-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Steelers, Hampton Reach 3-Year Deal
KDKA in Pittsburgh reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have reached a 3-year deal with nose tackle Casey Hampton, avoiding the need to use the franchise tag to keep the 32-year old for the 2010 season.

The deal is reportedly worth $21 million dollars, including $11 million in guarantees. Had Hampton been franchised, he would have earned a fully guaranteed $7.003 million dollar base salary in 2010.

Hampton has been selected to 5 Pro Bowls since being chosen by the Steelers with the 19th overall pick of the 2001 NFL Draft. At 6-1 and 325 pounds, he's been the anchor of the Steelers' defense since his rookie season, starting 122 of 129 games, and totaling 296 tackles and 8 quarterback sacks, including a career-high 2.5 in 2009.

Since Hampton's arrival, the Steelers run defense has ranked in the Top 3 in the NFL in eight of his nine seasons, and has been the league's top-ranked run defense on three occasions. (2001-02, 2004)

Hampton earned $3.025 million dollars last season, the final year of a 5-year, $22.4 million dollar extension he signed before the 2005 season.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2010, 09:37 AM
This was the best possible situation for us to be in, getting him a 3yr deal for a fair compensation allows us to not draft a NT this year and concentrate on DB, OL, Depth, another LB, and other depth on the DL. Then in 2011 we draft a stud NT and let him learn for a year while Hampton still plays and then in 2012 if all goes well the young NT will start to work his way into the lineup if not take over immediately.

KDKA reported earlier this morning that he agreed to a deal so hopefully this stands firm.

LatrobePA
02-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Does this change how we draft?

SteelerNC
02-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Great News

Captcoolhand
02-25-2010, 01:13 PM
I'll be the 1st to say Hampton will show up overweight and out of shape come training camp. :duh: http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/471/10851556917.gif (http://img38.imageshack.us/i/10851556917.gif/)

Blitzburgh
02-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Great news! I'm curious what position we draft

DanRooney
02-25-2010, 02:31 PM
We're probably still drafting a NT.

BlackGold4vr
02-25-2010, 03:01 PM
I could be way off but I still believe that Terrence Cody will fall into the second round and just might be available at 2-52. If we got him there it would be a good move. At 1-18 I don't like it. Cody as Hamptons understudy could spell big trouble to ALL buffet restaurants within 100 miles! :lol:

I think these two guys would be interchangeable 1st and 2nd down run stuffers but neither one is someone you want on the field on third downs in passing situations.

:2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-25-2010, 05:03 PM
They've lost their damn minds!!!!

I"m sorry but there is so much talent out there to grab up...why would be waste money like this...:cursin:

AND not to mention he is 33 freaking years old and WAY too fat!!!!!!!!!

What talent is out there?.....Not much in the free agent market.......Vince Wilfork was franchised by the Pats.....The rest of the NT's out there isn'tr up to Casey's level......As for the draft yea you can draft a young NT but those young players don't always pan out and as much as a risk as signing an aging player....A 3 year deal with only 11 million guaranteed is a solid deal on both sides.......If Casey gets to old or fat the Steelers can cut him and the contract won't kill the team......

BlackGold4vr
02-25-2010, 05:24 PM
What talent is out there?.....Not much in the free agent market.......Vince Wilfork was franchised by the Pats.....The rest of the NT's out there is up to Casey's level......As for the draft yea you can draft a young NT but those young players don't always pan out and as much as a risk as signing an aging player....A 3 year deal with only 11 million guaranteed is a solid deal on both sides.......If Casey gets to old or fat the Steelers can cut him and the contract won't kill the team......

A voice of reason.........

She thinks Hampton is too fat yet many people are hoping we draft Cody as his replacement and he is 50 pounds heavier and an inch shorter. Go figure. Forget the little fact that Hampton is a 4 time pro-bowler and our run defense was top 3 in the league for 8 of 9 years with Hampton clogging the middle. A simple thanks might be in order. Guess some people just can't be pleased. :lol:

Koopa
02-25-2010, 05:34 PM
awesome, i didn't wanna see hampton leave....i've only seen him in two uniforms, burnt orange and black and gold, i didn't wanna see him wear a different jersey

also, it's ****ing retarded to complain about him coming to training camp fat....who cares? he produces when it matters in the regular season, training camp is meant to get into shape and get the new guys ready.....

K Train
02-25-2010, 05:50 PM

She thinks Hampton is too fat yet many people are hoping we draft Cody as his replacement and he is 50 pounds heavier and an inch shorter. Go figure. Forget the little fact that Hampton is a 4 time pro-bowler and our run defense was top 3 in the league for 8 of 9 years with Hampton clogging the middle. A simple thanks might be in order. Guess some people just can't be pleased. :lol:
hampton is listed as 6-0....i think thats even generous, hes more like 5-11 and round like a little bowling ball and weight at LEAST 350, cody is a solid 6-5 and fluctuates between 355-370 which for a big man isnt alot, if a CB had that kind of difference in weight it would be a concern

tburg68
02-25-2010, 06:39 PM
hampton is listed as 6-0....i think thats even generous, hes more like 5-11 and round like a little bowling ball and weight at LEAST 350, cody is a solid 6-5 and fluctuates between 355-370 which for a big man isnt alot, if a CB had that kind of difference in weight it would be a concern

We trade down into 20's, pickup Spikes or Cody, and get another second round pick.

Zachintosh66
02-25-2010, 06:46 PM
What talent is out there?.....Not much in the free agent market.......Vince Wilfork was franchised by the Pats.....The rest of the NT's out there is up to Casey's level......As for the draft yea you can draft a young NT but those young players don't always pan out and as much as a risk as signing an aging player....A 3 year deal with only 11 million guaranteed is a solid deal on both sides.......If Casey gets to old or fat the Steelers can cut him and the contract won't kill the team......

Bottom line: Were a better team with Hampton starting than Hoke or a Rook... Good move FO! :clap:

JensK
02-25-2010, 08:03 PM
We trade down into 20's, pickup Spikes or Cody, and get another second round pick.

I think we would have to move up around 30 to get a second round pick for that trade...

Stlrs4Life
02-25-2010, 09:25 PM

How come you can't be as smart on the political side?:thinking::greengrin: I agree, a huge thanks is in order.

BlackGold4vr
02-25-2010, 10:01 PM
How come you can't be as smart on the political side?:thinking::greengrin: I agree, a huge thanks is in order.

As far as politics go I am right on course. But even if we can't agree on politics we can still love our Steelers! :lol:

K Train
02-26-2010, 02:21 AM
i still dont get the cody is an inch shorter comment when hes nearly 6 taller lol

scott0326
02-28-2010, 04:24 AM
Glad to have Hampton back..

Zachintosh66
03-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Steelers | Hampton has weight clause in contract
Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:04:42 -0800

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers DT Casey Hampton has a clause in his new contract that would cost him $1 million if he does not meet the agreed upon standards regarding his weight over the three seasons. He would receive the extra $1 million if he meets the requirements each season.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/30/NFL#ixzz0hJkTkLAg

Steeler Vet
03-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Steelers | Hampton has weight clause in contract
Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:04:42 -0800

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers DT Casey Hampton has a clause in his new contract that would cost him $1 million if he does not meet the agreed upon standards regarding his weight over the three seasons. He would receive the extra $1 million if he meets the requirements each season.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/30/NFL#ixzz0hJkTkLAg

That is a nice Incentive to keep his big butt in shape lol.... Nice move on the Steelers part.