PDA

View Full Version : My Steelers Mock

WelcomeBack
11-29-2006, 03:13 AM
I know I'm a Miami fan, but after talking to SF, I thought I would make this.

Draft-
Round 1: Patrick Willis, LB, Ole Miss
Round 2: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
Round 3: Tony Hunt, RB, Penn State
Round 4: Travarous Bain, CB, Hampton
Round 5: Samson Satele, OG, Hawaii
Round 6: Daniel Inman, OT, Georgia
Round 7: Dallas Sartz, LB, USC

FA-
I wouldn't be surprised to see Steelers look towards guys like Adalius Thomas and Asante Samuel.

Keep in mind, I don't know too much about the Steelers, so constructive criticism is welcome.

Steelersfan
11-29-2006, 03:19 AM
I would love to see Samuel but I don't see that happening. I like the positions you drafted WB. I'll have to do a bit more research on each player though.

Thanks a ton for posting your mock up for us to discuss though!

WelcomeBack
11-29-2006, 03:21 AM
I would love to see Samuel but I don't see that happening. I like the positions you drafted WB. I'll have to do a bit more research on each player though.

Thanks a ton for posting your mock up for us to discuss though!

No problem SF. I'd be more than happy to share my thoughts on each player if you would like.

SteelerFan87
11-29-2006, 04:26 AM
I must say, as far as positions, your mock draft is pretty much perfect. Like SF, I don't really know enough about those specific players though.

For a LB, I was thinking Paul Poslusny or HB Blades would be good, mostly because I've seen them play. For a RB in the 3rd round, I'd say Brian Leonard from Rutgers would be a better choice for the Steelers than Hunt, because we don't need a new feature back, we need a new big power back, plus I'd be surprised if Hunt would fall to the 3rd round. As for the CB, Tavarous Bain, is he tall? Because that's the kind of Corner we need. And I like the O-linemen in the mid-late rounds for some depth.

WelcomeBack
11-29-2006, 04:56 AM
I must say, as far as positions, your mock draft is pretty much perfect. Like SF, I don't really know enough about those specific players though.

For a LB, I was thinking Paul Poslusny or HB Blades would be good, mostly because I've seen them play. For a RB in the 3rd round, I'd say Brian Leonard from Rutgers would be a better choice for the Steelers than Hunt, because we don't need a new feature back, we need a new big power back, plus I'd be surprised if Hunt would fall to the 3rd round. As for the CB, Tavarous Bain, is he tall? Because that's the kind of Corner we need. And I like the O-linemen in the mid-late rounds for some depth.

Well, if the Juniors (Lynch and Peterson) declare, it is likely that Hunt can fall to the third round. He's got real good size at 6'2" and 230 lbs., which is just 5 lbs. lighter than Leonard. Also, Leonard is most likely going to be a FB in the NFL. As for Posluszny and Blades, I like both of them, but I feel Willis is a game changer. He's got great game speed and roams the field well. I'm sure with the right scheme, he can become a solid blitzer as well. Travarous Bain is only 6'0", but he's fast. He ran track at Miami (Fl.) before transferring to Hampton.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-29-2006, 07:39 AM
I like those positions you addressed as well, nice job ! I'd like to see us get some more depth at OL alittle earlier than the 4th round, perhaps the 3rd, but I haven't done enough research for 2007's class yet to see how deep the draft is at each position.

House of Steel
11-29-2006, 10:13 AM
I haven't done any research on any of those players, but what you have on your mock is a perfect lineup of the needs we need to address in the offseason. You did a wonderful job of planning. I wish you could talk to the FO and Cowher about this darn plan. Of course, you be overruled the way things have been going.

AZ_Steeler
11-29-2006, 12:17 PM
I gotta agree with SF87.. I think you addressed all the key holes that the Steelers are going to have come draft time! I would like to see more write ups on each of these guys.

Captcoolhand
11-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Being that we will being drafting in the top 10,:banging: We should be able to get some pretty decent players:dunno: :2cents:

WelcomeBack
11-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Alright, I will give my thoughts on the players I have going a bit later.

Thanks for the feedback.

WelcomeBack
11-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Patrick Willis, LB, Ole Miss:
Pros: He's definitely got the ability and speed to get to the ball carrier. Good coverage ability and has a good read on the QB. In the right system, he can become a solid blitzer with his speed.

Cons: Only flaw is his bulk size. He's 240 lbs., but he's lean. He may need to gain a bit of weight, but that's not a real problem.

Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska:
Pros: Great size to play the 3-4 end spot. He's a strong, but athletic DE and is a solid pass rusher. His strength allows him to match up well with the tackles in the league.

Cons: Not as explosive since gaining weight, and doesn't have the same agility, but he's still athletic.

Tony Hunt, RB, Penn State:
Pros: Good size and is a strong runner. He knows what he wants and he fights to get it. Lowers his shoulders right into defenders and pushes to gain extra yards. Good speed and may break a few.

Cons: While he has good speed, he's not always going to break off huge runs, those will be rarities. Has 'ok' acceleration and doesn't have the huge cut back moves.

Travarous Bain, CB, Hampton:
Pros: Very athletic physically. He's got the speed and agility to shadow most WR's. Follows the ball very well and makes plays. He's got good hip motion and can be quick on his change of direction. Ran track at Miami before transferring.

Cons: His main problems are the level he's at (Hampton) and his weight. He may need to get stronger and gain a bit of weight.

Samson Satele, OG, Hawaii:
Pros: Big lineman, yet has the size and agility to make him versatile on the line. He's very good in pass protection. Good in run blocking too. Has good power and acceleration to jump off the snap and get to the defender quickly.

Cons: Needs to work a bit on footwork and getting the knees leveled. Can work a little on his swing protection.

Daniel Inman, OT, Georgia:
Pros: Very good size at 6'7" and 316 lbs. Been labeled as a "dominant" blocker. Good off the edge to pick up the DE's. Quick footwork and good pop off the line. Solid in protection.

Cons: It may be a worry that his height may hurt his ability to get under DE's. Needs to work on his knee level and deliver strong with his arm force.

Dallas Sartz, LB, USC:
Pros: Very versatile player. Former Safety, so he's good in coverage. Good weight at 240 lbs. Has practiced as a hybrid at OLB and DE, so he shows his versatility. Works hard to get where the coach wants him to be.

Cons: Being a former safety, not as strong as you would like. A lean 240 lbs. Needs to bulk up and gain the upper body strength to pop at the point of contact.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-29-2006, 04:16 PM
I know I'm a Miami fan, but after talking to SF, I thought I would make this.

Draft-
Round 1: Patrick Willis, LB, Ole Miss
Round 2: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
Round 3: Tony Hunt, RB, Penn State
Round 4: Travarous Bain, CB, Hampton
Round 5: Samson Satele, OG, Hawaii
Round 6: Daniel Inman, OT, Georgia
Round 7: Dallas Sartz, LB, USC

FA-
I wouldn't be surprised to see Steelers look towards guys like Adalius Thomas and Asante Samuel.

Keep in mind, I don't know too much about the Steelers, so constructive criticism is welcome.

Well the Steelers are never really major players in free agency so I doubt either Thomas are Samuel will be in Black@Gold next year. Thomas is having a monster season with the Ravens and is going to cash in bigtime come March. Corners always command way to much money and the Steelers already paid a big chunk of coin to keep Ike Taylor.

As for your mock. I love the pick of Willis in the first. But the Steelers are looking like they will finish 6-10 this year. That could land the Steelers in the top ten or maybe alittle higher. I don't see Willis going that high in the draft. I see Willis as a mid to late first rounder. The Steelers could trade down and pickup extra picks and still draft Willis though.

I don't think Tony Hunt will be a third rounder. He could last until the second day of the draft.

I can't see the Steelers draft another small school corner also. Ike Taylor worked out to be a starting corner for the Steelers but he is having a terrible year this year. Then Ricardo Colclough was a total bust. So I really don't see another small school corner being drafted.

I'm hoping Joe Thomas the OT from Wisconsin ends up a Steeler. The kid is going to be a beat and could be an anchor for the Steelers Oline for the next 10-15 years.

WelcomeBack
11-29-2006, 04:39 PM
As for your mock. I love the pick of Willis in the first. But the Steelers are looking like they will finish 6-10 this year. That could land the Steelers in the top ten or maybe alittle higher. I don't see Willis going that high in the draft. I see Willis as a mid to late first rounder. The Steelers could trade down and pickup extra picks and still draft Willis though.

I honestly think Willis is worthy of a top ten pick. He's an explosive sideline to sideline player and SHOULD be the first LB taken. I also like Posluszny, but I think Willis goes before him.

I don't think Tony Hunt will be a third rounder. He could last until the second day of the draft.

Well, if Marshawn Lynch and Adrian Peterson declare, Hunt becomes the 5th best back on my board. I think he goes day 1. He's a solid power runner and is great running up the middle.

I can't see the Steelers draft another small school corner also. Ike Taylor worked out to be a starting corner for the Steelers but he is having a terrible year this year. Then Ricardo Colclough was a total bust. So I really don't see another small school corner being drafted.

Well, Travarous Bain started at Miami (Fl.), and transferred due to the CB's Miami already had. He's made big strides at Hampton and could very well be a sleeper.

I'm hoping Joe Thomas the OT from Wisconsin ends up a Steeler. The kid is going to be a beat and could be an anchor for the Steelers Oline for the next 10-15 years.

Unfortunately, he doesn't pass Cardinals. They are at liberty of losing Leonard Davis and would love to replace him with Joe Thomas.

Koopa
11-29-2006, 04:56 PM
pretty good, i haven't really heard of these guys, but i like what you wrote about them

i wouldn't mind that kind of running back, long breaks are overrated, just as long as you are getting a solid 4 to 5 yards a carry that's all that really matters, and we have willie for those long runs

WelcomeBack
11-29-2006, 04:59 PM
pretty good, i haven't really heard of these guys, but i like what you wrote about them

i wouldn't mind that kind of running back, long breaks are overrated, just as long as you are getting a solid 4 to 5 yards a carry that's all that really matters, and we have willie for those long runs

Thanks.

And yes, players that can run 4 or 5 yards a carry and can pound it in tight situations are always a great addition.

House of Steel
11-29-2006, 11:49 PM
You will never see a Jerome Bettis like back in the draft. We are starting to see power runners popping up here and there. What is going on with the status of Michael Bush? Is he staying another year in Louisville or declaring for the draft? I know his injury has to ponder a lot of weight on the decision. He was awesome before the injury.

Koopa
11-29-2006, 11:52 PM
we need to get over trying to find a jerome bettis, we need to move on and try to let some other fat back do his thing instead of comparing him to bettis

House of Steel
11-29-2006, 11:57 PM
Yes, I understand your point, but you can't tell me you wouldn't want a monster 250 lbs back bulldozing their way through the line and hustling for every stinking yard while carrying 3, 4, 5, up to 7 guys on the back. I really miss those days.

Koopa
11-30-2006, 12:01 AM
yeah i would like that, but i just don't want ppl to compare every fat back we get to bettis, it's just not a fair comparison to the dude

i went through the same **** when david robinson retired and it's just gonna make you not like everyone that comes in to fill in his shoes and doesn't live up to them......so i'm basically speaking from experience

K Train
11-30-2006, 12:02 AM
-I would want Michael Bush (best RB in the draft IMO)
-Defense i would want Victor Abriamiri from ND, hes 6-4 with really long arms and will convert from DE to OLD (like porter and haggans did) and with porter probably out, depth at LB wouldnt be a bad idea.
-Posuszny would probably fit at MLB for us, and with farrior not getting any younger that might be a possibility.
-Quinten Moses might make a decent 3-4 OLB as well

Alot of mocks have us taking Bush or Irons...i think we resign Davenport and we are good at RB.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2006, 12:05 AM
Yep, I think the team really likes Najeh and he's a good returner and ST guy too. He's shown enough in the running game that if we get him more involved he can do it. If they resign him, they'll likely still draft a RB but not till mid rounds on Day 2.

Koopa
11-30-2006, 12:08 AM
yeah i really like dookie which is why i'm not really worried about getting a rb early......it sucks that we can't use him though, we dig ourselves in to deep of a hole to really get to use him...but for the most part he's been a beast on ST and he's been a decent 3rd down back.........i hope we can resign him

K Train
11-30-2006, 12:09 AM
What do you guys think about Victor Abriamiri?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2006, 12:11 AM
He wants to stick around and he likes it here so thats a good sign. Either way though we better not neglect a RB at some point in the draft. You can always find some real gems on day 2.

K Train
11-30-2006, 12:12 AM
What about Garrett Wolfe in the later rounds...the guy is amazing

Koopa
11-30-2006, 12:22 AM
lets get selvin young lol

Captcoolhand
11-30-2006, 09:41 AM
I can't beleive that we are already talking about next years Draft:dullidea: :thud:

WelcomeBack
11-30-2006, 12:03 PM
What do you guys think about Victor Abriamiri?

I like him as an OLB in the 3-4. He'll be good. But I would think the Steelers look at Carriker as a 3-4 End.