PDA

View Full Version : Which one would you rather have?

xxxsteelernation
02-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Most likley we are probably going to take a DB in the 1st round. Who would you rather have and make the most impact?
Eric Berry (if still available)
Earl Holmes
Joe Haden
Kareem Jackson
Taylor Mays
and maybe becuase he didn't get as much exposure as the rest
T.J. Ward from oregon, he really reminds me of troy

A Pac
02-11-2010, 12:38 PM
you guys have one of the worst l pass blocking lines in football and aren't going to take a lineman? big ben will have two more years before he gets paralyzed if this line is back next year.

steelerfan11
02-11-2010, 01:05 PM
I would rather the Steelers go OL in the first and second picks.

If you want DB's then the obvious pick is Berry if he is still there otherwise you have to go with Earl Thomas.

BlackGold4vr
02-11-2010, 01:11 PM
I would rather the Steelers go OL in the first and second picks.

I agree, but if they only pick one O-lineman I would like to see them get Maurkice Pouncey. Hartwig is just not a good center. He gets bowled over against all the good nose tackles. Ideally it would be awesome to get Bulaga/Davis and Pouncey but that is very unlikely to happen.

LatrobePA
02-11-2010, 01:16 PM
LT and C a must! I agree Hartwig is a lame duck, but didn't he just sign a long term deal?? Don't get me started on Starks!

Big T
02-11-2010, 01:38 PM
For starters, the only way Eric Berry makes it to 18 is if he gets arrested for cocaine, gets out of prison in time for the combine, runs a 8.3 40, and tests positive for marijuana...after he hears he tested positive he gets mad and starts beating his girlfriend who then calls the cops, but later drops the charges...

If all that happens, there is a slight chance he could fall to 18...still not likely, but a chance...

See what I'm saying? There is NO way he's there....

And I think you mean Earl Thomas...Earl Holmes is an old 4th round linebacker the steelers drafted...

Zachintosh66
02-11-2010, 01:44 PM
playing by the rules... out of the list you posted Berry is the logical choice. HOWEVER, everyday that goes by im still convinced we can get quality DB's outside the first round.

IMO i dont see them giving up on Farrior, so i dont think mcclain or spikes is an option unless they fall out of 1st round.

So basically it comes down to OL/DL. If we decide to keep Casey, OL seems to be a no brainer. But we'll still need to bring in another DT at some point.

JensK
02-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Eric Berry hands down!

andyg1984
02-11-2010, 05:02 PM
For starters, the only way Eric Berry makes it to 18 is if he gets arrested for cocaine, gets out of prison in time for the combine, runs a 8.3 40, and tests positive for marijuana...after he hears he tested positive he gets mad and starts beating his girlfriend who then calls the cops, but later drops the charges...

If all that happens, there is a slight chance he could fall to 18...still not likely, but a chance...

See what I'm saying? There is NO way he's there....

And I think you mean Earl Thomas...Earl Holmes is an old 4th round linebacker the steelers drafted...

laugh out loud .. so true the acronym does not do it justice - well done bro .. berry is a freak and is worth giving up a 2nd to get no doubt imo

K Train
02-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Most likley we are probably going to take a DB in the 1st round. Who would you rather have and make the most impact?
Eric Berry (if still available)
Earl Holmes
Joe Haden
Kareem Jackson
Taylor Mays
and maybe becuase he didn't get as much exposure as the rest
T.J. Ward from oregon, he really reminds me of troy

putting eric berry in a list full of other DBs and asking someone to choose is ridiculous...hes the best DB prospect ive ever seen.

and i would like earl thomas, idk much about earl holmes lol

Ironman
02-12-2010, 03:06 AM
Any chance Steelers consider trading up?

I know it's probably remote, but looking at the quality of DB's out there the top 10 is where you wanna be

JensK
02-12-2010, 04:03 AM
Any chance Steelers consider trading up?

I know it's probably remote, but looking at the quality of DB's out there the top 10 is where you wanna be

Steelers will move up if the price is right, and if the project they want looks to be gone before they'll pick. With that being said, there is no way in hell they'll get even close to berry without trading away pretty much all our picks this year -.-

Big T
02-12-2010, 05:04 AM
I would be willing to trade this years 1st round pick and next years 1st round pick to move up to maybe 3 and take Eric Berry...imo he really is worth it...If they made that deal I would love it this year, but then again I would hate to not have a 1st next year...

But like I said, He would be worth it...safety talent like that doesnt come around often...

I cant even begin to imagine Eric Berry and Troy Polamalu in the same secondary...

Please Lord...I don't ask for much...

JensK
02-12-2010, 05:13 AM
I would be willing to trade this years 1st round pick and next years 1st round pick to move up to maybe 3 and take Eric Berry...imo he really is worth it...If they made that deal I would love it this year, but then again I would hate to not have a 1st next year...

But like I said, He would be worth it...safety talent like that doesnt come around often...

I cant even begin to imagine Eric Berry and Troy Polamalu in the same secondary...

Please Lord...I don't ask for much...

Would rather throw away this years first, third and maybe next years second. I think that would make sense (just imo). Unless ofc. we go ahead and win the SB next year, then i wouldnt mind to trade our first round :P

K Train
02-12-2010, 09:59 AM
If we trade up its for mcclain, thats all i could see happening

andyg1984
02-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Probably need to move ahead of the fish?

Big T
02-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Ya I see no way that mcclain falls past Miami....the ideal situation would be to trade up with the broncos at 11...7 spots isn't too bad...

K Train
02-12-2010, 10:55 AM
do not sleep on earl thomas, hes one of the better prospects at FS ive seen in the last 5 years, not berrys level right now but has enormous potential

Big T
02-12-2010, 10:56 AM
You know I love me some Earl Thomas....

K Train
02-12-2010, 11:01 AM
skill-wise i think they are very similar and put mays to shame

JensK
02-12-2010, 11:07 AM
I think Earl Thomas is Eric Berry, with just one year less experience. I know Steelers would never trade far enough up to grab Berry, but if they should trade up i would love either McClain or Thomas. Im having a hard time figuring out who i would want the most though. Probably McClain i guess. A killer ILB is a most in our system - Look what Wilma did to colts in the SB.

K Train
02-12-2010, 11:12 AM
berry is alot more physical than thomas imo

JensK
02-12-2010, 11:21 AM
berry is alot more physical than thomas imo

I agree, but i don't always see that as the most important factor when talking about a safety. Look at Ryan Clark. He his physical into the extream, but that does not make him a good safety. Sure, with Berry's skills its a good thing, but its not a reason i would take Berry higher than Earl Thomas.

I do think Berry plays the run a lot better than Earl Thomas, but i dont think we would ask either of them to do that a lot for us, since we have Troy already who, imo, plays the run outstanding.

K Train
02-12-2010, 11:24 AM
exactly, both are ball hawks, both are terrific in coverage, both have good speed and both could easily play corner....berry is still far and away the better prospect but thomas is no slouch, we need a coverage FS anyway...we have two box safeties and thats not helping the secondary.

i hate clark, i love his crushes but other than that his game is weak

JensK
02-12-2010, 11:32 AM
exactly, both are ball hawks, both are terrific in coverage, both have good speed and both could easily play corner....berry is still far and away the better prospect but thomas is no slouch, we need a coverage FS anyway...we have two box safeties and thats not helping the secondary.

i hate clark, i love his crushes but other than that his game is weak

My point exactly. As for what we would ask either of them to do, i would not have Berry over Thomas - at least not with much. We could easily trade us to Thomas, Berry would cost so much. I still think if both McClain and Thomas fell to 11 or so, i wold go with McClain over Thomas, but both would kinda suck because i really want both..

K Train
02-12-2010, 11:34 AM
i feel like we will fall in love with mcclain, but i think the giants are gonna make a push for him after letting pierce go.

ive come to terms that bulaga and davis probably wont be there, but i remain hopeful thomas will be

JensK
02-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I guess giants will keep Osi now, but should they let him go too, there is no chance Giants will pick Earl Thomas. They would either trade for McClain or pick Sean Weatherspoon. Both picks would make a lot of sense for them. I am very afraid that Niners is going to take Earl Thomas at 17 though.

As for Bulaga or Davis, one of them could fall, but it wouldnt matter because we wouldnt pick any of them. WIth the big payday they gave Starks, they wont pick an OT in the first round. Just dont see it happen

K Train
02-12-2010, 11:40 AM
if bulaga is there which i dont think he will be, and the steelers dont take him...ill turn in my steeler fan card, he would be by far the best player available at 18 unless someone PLUMMETS

giants should go DT or LB, hopefully they take dan williams cause i really dont want him. not that i dont think hes a good player, i just dont think hes a great fit

JensK
02-12-2010, 11:44 AM
if bulaga is there which i dont think he will be, and the steelers dont take him...ill turn in my steeler fan card, he would be by far the best player available at 18 unless someone PLUMMETS

giants should go DT or LB, hopefully they take dan williams cause i really dont want him. not that i dont think hes a good player, i just dont think hes a great fit

Luckely, i don't think Bulaga will fall that far after he owns the combine (which im very confident he will). Can't loose you as a Steeler fan :lol: I am just having a hard time figuring who they would replace with Bulaga should they draft him. They already think Colon is one of the best RT in the league, and they gave Starks lots of lots of cash. I would love them to cut Starks or trade him and then pickup Bulaga, but i just don't see it happen. The coaches see something in Starks that us normal human beings cant see.

K Train
02-12-2010, 12:23 PM
you take the best player available, and if it is someone who can be the foundation of your oline for 9 years then for gods sake do it. i dont give 2 shits if they put bulaga in at RG as a rookie, he will make everyone better. they know the oline sucks, i dont get the denial....i thought the steelers FO was supposed to be the almighty and be what everyone else inspires to be. idiots

BlackGold4vr
02-12-2010, 02:17 PM
I have seen some mock drafts with the Steelers taking Mike Iuputi, that monster of a guard from Idaho. I wouldn't mind that pick although if we can't get a tackle I would rather trade out of the 18th pick and go after Pouncey. Pouncey will not be there at 52. But the bottom line is that if they don't address the O-line early you can expect another year of watching Ben get killed. I can't think of any other team with a good franchise QB who puts such a small emphasis on protecting it!

K Train
02-12-2010, 02:21 PM
iupati is good, and would start at RG right away and definitely make hartwig better and acually complement colon pretty well...idk though, not sure about taking a guard when theres bigger needs

BlackGold4vr
02-12-2010, 02:34 PM
iupati is good, and would start at RG right away and definitely make hartwig better and acually complement colon pretty well...idk though, not sure about taking a guard when theres bigger needs

I also think that Ramon Foster could play a better left tackle than Maxipad does. Don't know why this team is so infatuated with a fat and slow footed left tackle who often doesn't even get a hand on the speed rushers on there way to killing Ben.

JensK
02-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Im not buying into the iupati hype. He is big and nasty, sure, but from what i saw in the senior bowl, the guy had awful technique, and got beat constantly. He was holding on pretty much every play. He really made both Dan Williams and Cody look better than they are imo.

K Train
02-12-2010, 02:49 PM
he had a terrific week though, the game doesnt really justify the players as much as the workouts and drills with the NFL coaches

Big T
02-12-2010, 03:10 PM
I love this class....there is no reason that we shouldnt come away with 2 starters....

Every day my man-crushes on Earl Thomas, Rolando McClain, Brandon Spikes, and Maurkice Pouncey get bigger....If we can find a way to leave the first round with Earl Thomas or Rolando McClain, i would consider it a success...

McClain is growing on me more and more every day...Ive liked him since day one but he might be number one on my wishlist now...Eric Berry is usually number one but ive realized the fact that they wont trade up for him...Im just extremely excited by the fact that we will most likely have a good opportunity to trade up for McClain or maybe 2 or 3 spots for Earl Thomas....

I have to mention Dexter McCluster...I would love McCluster in the third but i dont think he will be there...I think hes a smaller Chris Johnson and i think he would complement Rashard well and be a great return man...

andyg1984
02-12-2010, 06:16 PM
i love mccluster too .. i honestly think he makes a case to be better than willie parker, stefan logan and limas sweed in all of their roles on this team .. don't forget that he can actually play a little WR too ..

he actually gave your buddies, eric berry and spikes, a run for their $ if you recall .. he has like an 8 minute highlight reel from the tenn game and spikes did not have a shot at catching him when ole miss scored the go ahead vs FL in '08 to upset them in the swamp ..

steelersfan15
02-12-2010, 06:31 PM
I want to us to get out of the 1st round with Earl Thomas, but he could get picked up by the Giants or the 49ers, so there's a good chance we won't get him. I would then want Dan Williams because we need to pick our future NT.

In the 2nd round, I would like to draft Torrell Troup or Cam Thomas if we get Earl Thomas, but I doubt Cam Thomas is going to be there, so I would be fine with Troup. If we got Dan williams, I would be fine if we picked Nate Allen or Morgan Burnett (FS).

Big T
02-12-2010, 07:07 PM
i love mccluster too .. i honestly think he makes a case to be better than willie parker, stefan logan and limas sweed in all of their roles on this team .. don't forget that he can actually play a little WR too ..

he actually gave your buddies, eric berry and spikes, a run for their $ if you recall .. he has like an 8 minute highlight reel from the tenn game and spikes did not have a shot at catching him when ole miss scored the go ahead vs FL in '08 to upset them in the swamp ..

oh i remember...im a die-hard gators fan so i remember...Hes a monster

tburg68
02-13-2010, 10:02 PM
you take the best player available, and if it is someone who can be the foundation of your oline for 9 years then for gods sake do it. i dont give 2 shits if they put bulaga in at RG as a rookie, he will make everyone better. they know the oline sucks, i dont get the denial....i thought the steelers FO was supposed to be the almighty and be what everyone else inspires to be. idiots

Is it not conceivable that the Steelers could draft Bulaga and put him at LT.(can't convince me that he wouldn't be better than Starks on day one!) Move big Max to RT, then slide Colon to RG. I would then love them to draft a Center 2 or 3, but with Colon at RG, that would make Hartwig stomachable.

JensK
02-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Is it not conceivable that the Steelers could draft Bulaga and put him at LT.(can't convince me that he wouldn't be better than Starks on day one!) Move big Max to RT, then slide Colon to RG. I would then love them to draft a Center 2 or 3, but with Colon at RG, that would make Hartwig stomachable.

It wont happen tho. If the coaches had liked Colon at G they would have played him there a long time ago.

K Train
02-18-2010, 09:02 AM
i like starks at guard lol, a mammoth guard

steelcitysfinestXL
02-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Q&A With Kevin Colbert
Q. Do you buy into the notion that teams need to spend some high draft picks on offensive linemen?

A. It depends on the draft. Every draft is different. You never go into a draft saying you have to pick a player at a certain position. Our left tackle is a third-round pick, the left guard is a No. 6, the center was an undrafted rookie, the right guard a No. 3 pick and the right tackle a fourth-round pick. And we won (Super Bowl XLIII) with that group. You want high picks in every group, but that’s not going to happen, especially when you’re picking later as we have in the recent past.

whole article is pretty good:
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Kevin-Colbert-on-the-2010-NFL-Draft/09a71a94-0c25-421b-b977-a349e395bae9

Theres 2 posistions i think we can get good value out of if we trade back... MLB (Spikes) and WR (Gilyard) We essentially be getting (IMO) at worst, the second best player at each posistion!!! Better than the 5th best tackle.

If we trade back with the right team we may get a 2nd or 3rd (more likely) rounder. Then we can get the quality corner (Warren or Robinson) and with that extra pick we can get a luxury guy (and RB) depth in a playmaker like McCluster.

If we got lucky and got a second rounder, imagine this 2 round draft:
1: (Trade back) MLB- Brandon Spikes -or- WR Mardy Gilyard
2a: CB-Donovan Warren -or- CB- Patrick Robinson
2b: RB/WR/KR/PR Dexter McCluster

I'd Ruin my shorts!!!

K Train
02-18-2010, 09:42 AM
it depends who the 4th or 5th best tackle is....okung is most peoples #1 but i would not be shocked to see davis go over him. after that you have bulaga, but what if a team values what a freak campbell is over the steady play of bulaga? alot of teams are big fans of trent williams as well, he is a RT for the first few years at least but the niners have a huge hole at RT and i wouldnt be shocked if they took him because imo hes a cant miss RT.

if we trade back and get spikes and gilyard i would be ok with that but i think you guys are all too high on a 24 year old slow slot reciever...thats just how i feel. why not trade back for spikes and lafell if you want a wr?

warren in round 2 would make me a happy man though

steelcitysfinestXL
02-18-2010, 04:29 PM
if we trade back and get spikes and gilyard i would be ok with that but i think you guys are all too high on a 24 year old slow slot reciever...thats just how i feel. why not trade back for spikes and lafell if you want a wr?

I personally dont think he is slow! Yeah he may not put down a sub 4.4 at the combine... but he ran away from just about everyone in College. I would rather have us trade back for Spikes and pick up some of this talent that is going to be in the 2nd and third rounds of this draft!

tburg68
02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
it depends who the 4th or 5th best tackle is....okung is most peoples #1 but i would not be shocked to see davis go over him. after that you have bulaga, but what if a team values what a freak campbell is over the steady play of bulaga? alot of teams are big fans of trent williams as well, he is a RT for the first few years at least but the niners have a huge hole at RT and i wouldnt be shocked if they took him because imo hes a cant miss RT.

Train do you think Campbell is value at 18? Does he start year one at LT?

I would love Spikes anywhere from 18 or later. If we could trade back and pick up a 2or3 and draft him I would be good with that.

I like Gilyard and think he will be a good pro. That being said WR is the last position that Pittsburgh should be thinking(other than QB)

K Train
02-23-2010, 12:34 PM
the combine will be the taylor mays and bruce campbell show...neither will disappoint. at 18 he has value but hes not what he need, he pretty developmental and even though he has NFL size he really doesnt look like a tackle, the man is a freak and looks more like a TE out there. hes a great pass blocker and would be a better fit for us than charles brown but i just dont know how i feel about him as a steeler. classic workout warrior but at LT, hes also an exotic one