PDA

View Full Version : Who should we be the most worried about at 18?

andyg1984
02-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Who would you be the most upset with at pick 18 ? Which of the following guys do you think there is a possibility of us drafting ?

Taylor Mays
Trent Williams
Brandon Spikes
Carlos Dunlap
Terrence Cody
Pouncey
Uipati (sp?)
Campbell

--- Added 2/10/2010 at 09:18 AM ---

i would be least upset with cody/spikes .. would not want them at 18 but would rather see them scooped in a trade down ..

imo cody is still our best bet for NT ..

i think mays is the worst pick .. the last thing our D needs is another guy who cannot cover

coldrolled
02-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Who would you be the most upset with at pick 18 ? Which of the following guys do you think there is a possibility of us drafting ?

Taylor Mays
Trent Williams
Brandon Spikes
Carlos Dunlap
Terrence Cody
Pouncey
Uipati (sp?)
Campbell

i would be least upset with cody/spikes .. would not want them at 18 but would rather see them scooped in a trade down ..

i think mays is the worst pick .. the last thing our D needs is another guy who cannot cover

Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays 1st round

Pouncey and Iupati and Cody maybe second rounders at #52.
Eric Olsen did well in the Senior Bowl at Center. I Like him at #52
iupati looked beaten in the senior bowl.

K Train
02-10-2010, 01:09 PM
no way cody makes it to the second....hes still the best NT.

dunlap would never be considered by the steelers, hes a dick head

mays i think i would cry

campbell is growing on me lately, not sure id like him as a steeler though, the guy is a freak though.

id take spikes or cody, everyone is real down on both of them but i think they are two future studs and both huge needs.

williams is a RT, but hes got value at 18

andyg1984
02-10-2010, 01:44 PM
yeah, i would love it if we could come out of this draft trading back into the twenties and still get cody ..

moving up in the second to get spikes would be great long term, i think spikes is an idiot sometimes, but his nuts are probably twice the size of timmons in the box ..

Big T
02-10-2010, 04:31 PM
If someone asked me what my ideal left tackle would look like, I would pretty much describe Bruce Campbell...he's a ****ing beast with barely any fat on him...but still, watching him play can be painful at times...I guess I couldn't be too mad if they drafted him just because he's a monster....

LatrobePA
02-10-2010, 05:15 PM
I see them drafting someone off the chart! It all depends on who's floating around come our pick, did anyone have them drafting a punter in the 4th round?

JensK
02-10-2010, 05:15 PM
If someone asked me what my ideal left tackle would look like, I would pretty much describe Bruce Campbell...he's a ****ing beast with barely any fat on him...but still, watching him play can be painful at times...I guess I couldn't be too mad if they drafted him just because he's a monster....

If anyone asked me what my ideal safety/cb/lb would look like i would describe Taylor Mays. Se what i did there? :lol:

Just kidding, i would not mine Campbell, but there is plenty of guys head of him i would rather have tho.

Big T
02-10-2010, 05:46 PM
If anyone asked me what my ideal safety/cb/lb would look like i would describe Taylor Mays. Se what i did there? :lol:

Just kidding, i would not mine Campbell, but there is plenty of guys head of him i would rather have tho.

I meant the same as you did with mays...I'm saying he looks the part but he isn't that good...

JensK
02-10-2010, 05:54 PM
I meant the same as you did with mays...I'm saying he looks the part but he isn't that good...

Yeah i know. The mays comparison was just to obvious to let go :grin1:

coach
02-12-2010, 08:07 PM
We reach for someone with a huge upside who doesn't pan out. Every pick can't be a winner, but we can't continue to draft wide receivers who don't catch the ball or backs that can't block. I really hope for a trade down where we land some extra picks.

I would write the obligatory caveat "unless Eric Berry fell to 18" except I am still laughing at what Big T wrote about Eric Berry falling to 18; NOT!

JollyRob68
02-13-2010, 02:32 AM

Taylor Mays
Trent Williams
Brandon Spikes
Carlos Dunlap
Terrence Cody
Pouncey
Uipati (sp?)
Campbell

I like the potential of Campbell over Trent Williams. I'd want Dan Williams over terrance Cody. To answer your question Williams and Campbell might be considered the reach at 18 as will Pouncey at this time. However I think Pouncey will move up in Value and based on your list I'd Take Iupati the #1 gaurdor trade back a couple spots for Pouncey the # 1 center.

--- Added 2/13/2010 at 12:32 AM ---

Iupati and Pouncey will go in the first round they're the #1 at center and guard.

K Train
02-13-2010, 02:33 AM
cody>williams

Trent williams>Campbell

pouncey will be a first round pick, so will iupati

darnik44
02-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Bruce Campbell. We want no parts of Bruce Campbell. The franchise is at a turning point, and we don't need a raw, boom or bust, developemental left tackle.

I would say Taylor Mays, but I just have to assume they wouldn't thing he was even close to the type of safety they need to compliment Troy Polamalu.

I would be fine with (some more obvious than others) Suh, Berry, Okung, Davis, McClain, Haden, Thomas, Bulaga, Williams, Iupati, Cody, Odrick, Spikes, Gilyard, Spiller, Wilson, Warren in about that order.

Big T
02-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Bruce Campbell. We want no parts of Bruce Campbell. The franchise is at a turning point, and we don't need a raw, boom or bust, developemental left tackle.

I would say Taylor Mays, but I just have to assume they wouldn't thing he was even close to the type of safety they need to compliment Troy Polamalu.

I would be fine with (some more obvious than others) Suh, Berry, Okung, Davis, McClain, Haden, Thomas, Bulaga, Williams, Iupati, Cody, Odrick, Spikes, Gilyard, Spiller, Wilson, Warren in about that order.

Gilyard over spiller?

coach
02-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Every team will have it's own board. But for those of who are confined to a mock draft value board because we have day jobs outside the NFL, I find it difficult to find people who agree on ratings. Here is an example of what makes draft projections difficult. Both lists below may contain a partcular player and simply disgree on where they fall on the list. But in some cases, the names on one list do not appear on another. Who are the real top 16 players that provide top first round value regardless of position?

Draft Tek
1 DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska
2 SS Eric Berry, Tennessee (JR)
3 QB Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame (JR)
4 DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma (JR)
5 OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State
6 CB Joe Haden, Florida (JR)
7 DE/OLB Jerry Hughes, TCU
8 RB C. J. Spiller, Clemson
9 ILB Rolando McClain, Alabama (JR)
10 DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech (JR)
11 DE Everson Griffen, USC (JR)
12 QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma (JR) (Injured)
13 WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State (JR)
14 DT Brian Price, UCLA
15 DE/OLB Brandon Graham, Michigan
16 OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers (JR)

Draft Dog
1 Ndamukong Suh Nebraska DT
2 Eric Berry Tennessee
3 Gerald McCoy Oklahoma DT
4 Russell Okung Oklahoma State OT
5 Joe Haden Florida CB KR
6 Rolando McClain Alabama ILB
7 C.J. Spiller Clemson RBC KR
8 Derrick Morgan Georgia Tech DE
9 Dez Bryant Oklahoma State WRF
10 Bryan Bulaga Iowa
11 Carlos Dunlap Florida DE
12 Jimmy Clausen Notre Dame QB
13 Earl Thomas Texas FS SS CB
14 Trent Williams Oklahoma OT
15 Mike Iupati Idaho OG
16 Sam Bradford

Is there anyone above who should be removed or added?

darnik44
02-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Gilyard over spiller?

Yes because of the offensive system the Steelers have in place (love it or hate it). Another receiver would be more value to the Steelers. I would love adding Spiller in a Ken Wisenhunt offense. But with the pass happy Bruce Arians offense, two first round RB's wouldn't get used right. I just don't have too much confidence in BA. That passing offense could be very explosive with 4 solid WR's and Heath Miller.

I see Gilyard as a cross between Santonio Holmes and DeSean Jackson. I think he would fit the Steelers offense tremendously well.

That said, I think the chances the Steelers draft him will be pretty low.

coldrolled
02-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Yes because of the offensive system the Steelers have in place (love it or hate it). Another receiver would be more value to the Steelers. I would love adding Spiller in a Ken Wisenhunt offense. But with the pass happy Bruce Arians offense, two first round RB's wouldn't get used right. I just don't have too much confidence in BA. That passing offense could be very explosive with 4 solid WR's and Heath Miller.

I see Gilyard as a cross between Santonio Holmes and DeSean Jackson. I think he would fit the Steelers offense tremendously well.

That said, I think the chances the Steelers draft him will be pretty low.

Saints 51 yards rushing. 31
Colts 99 yards rushing. 17

This helped Arians again...

Arians needs OL #1 pick Bulaga/Williams #2 pick a center Tennant/Poiuncey..

If Arians is staying with the Steelers we need to protect the QB.

Patch the D with FA...

darnik44
02-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Saints 51 yards rushing. 31
Colts 99 yards rushing. 17

This helped Arians again...

Arians needs OL #1 pick Bulaga/Williams #2 pick a center Tennant/Poiuncey..

If Arians is staying with the Steelers we need to protect the QB.

Patch the D with FA...

I don't think one game is enough to make a compelling case that Arians has the plan. Refer to the 15 years Cowher was in town as an indication of how a great rushing offense equals wins. Cowher just lacked a QB who could compliment the running game for most of his tenure.

The lack of commitment to the run game is why we now see the Steelers **** away leads. We no longer control the time of possession, and can't slow things down in the 2nd half. By the 4th quarter the defense is tired, and the offense goes 3 and out way to often when trying to protect the lead.

Dan Rooney made Tomlin and Arians promise to be more commited to the run going forward. This was part of the conditions for Arians to keep his job.

--- Added 2/15/2010 at 11:08 AM ---

Every team will have it's own board. But for those of who are confined to a mock draft value board because we have day jobs outside the NFL, I find it difficult to find people who agree on ratings. Here is an example of what makes draft projections difficult. Both lists below may contain a partcular player and simply disgree on where they fall on the list. But in some cases, the names on one list do not appear on another. Who are the real top 16 players that provide top first round value regardless of position?

Draft Tek
1 DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska
2 SS Eric Berry, Tennessee (JR)
3 QB Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame (JR)
4 DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma (JR)
5 OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State
6 CB Joe Haden, Florida (JR)
7 DE/OLB Jerry Hughes, TCU
8 RB C. J. Spiller, Clemson
9 ILB Rolando McClain, Alabama (JR)
10 DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech (JR)
11 DE Everson Griffen, USC (JR)
12 QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma (JR) (Injured)
13 WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State (JR)
14 DT Brian Price, UCLA
15 DE/OLB Brandon Graham, Michigan
16 OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers (JR)

Draft Dog
1 Ndamukong Suh Nebraska DT
2 Eric Berry Tennessee
3 Gerald McCoy Oklahoma DT
4 Russell Okung Oklahoma State OT
5 Joe Haden Florida CB KR
6 Rolando McClain Alabama ILB
7 C.J. Spiller Clemson RBC KR
8 Derrick Morgan Georgia Tech DE
9 Dez Bryant Oklahoma State WRF
10 Bryan Bulaga Iowa
11 Carlos Dunlap Florida DE
12 Jimmy Clausen Notre Dame QB
13 Earl Thomas Texas FS SS CB
14 Trent Williams Oklahoma OT
15 Mike Iupati Idaho OG
16 Sam Bradford

Is there anyone above who should be removed or added?

NFLDraftSpot.com

1. Ndamukong Suh, DT/DE, 6-4, 305, Nebraska

2. Eric Berry, S/CB, 5-11, 195, Tennessee*

3. Gerald McCoy, DT, 6-4, 295, Oklahoma*

4. Russell Okung, OT, 6-5, 300, Oklahoma State

5. Rolando McClain, ILB, 6-4, 250, Alabama*

6. Anthony Davis, OT, 6-6, 330, Rutgers*

7. Joe Haden, CB, 5-11, 185, Florida*

8. C.J. Spiller, RB, 5-11, 190, Clemson

9. Bryan Bulaga, OT, 6-6, 305, Iowa*

10. Derrick Morgan, DE, 6-4, 270, Georgia Tech*

11. Earl Thomas, S/CB, 5-10, 190, Texas#

12. Jared Odrick, DT/DE, 6-5, 308, Penn State

13. Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, 6-2, 270, Michigan

14. Mike Iupati, OG, 6-5, 330, Idaho

15. Mardy Gilyard, WR, 6-1, 192, Cincinnati

16. Brian Price, DT, 6-1, 295, UCLA*

K Train
02-15-2010, 03:41 PM
price, odrick and gilyard would make it no where near a top 16 for me

BlackGold4vr
02-15-2010, 04:32 PM

I'm surprised Taylor Mays isn't on that list! :lol:

K Train
02-15-2010, 04:48 PM
mays is on that list of no where near....but he wasnt on his so i didnt include him

BlackGold4vr
02-15-2010, 05:59 PM
mays is on that list of no where near....but he wasnt on his so i didnt include him

We can actually seperate these prospects into 3 lists:

Happy at 18:
Suh
McCoy
Berry
Okung
Haden
McClain
Davis
Bulaga
Thomas

Okay at 18:
Bryant
Graham
Iuputi
D. Williams
Dwyer
T. Williams
Spiller
Dunlap
Spikes

Disgusted at 18:
Bradford
Claussen
Cody
Morgan
Weatherspoon
Price
Tate

The list might not be complete but you get the idea.

K Train
02-15-2010, 06:34 PM
We can actually seperate these prospects into 3 lists:

Happy at 18:
Suh
McCoy
Berry
Okung
Haden
McClain
Davis
Bulaga
Thomas

Okay at 18:
Bryant
Graham
Iuputi
D. Williams
Dwyer
T. Williams
Spiller
Dunlap
Spikes

Disgusted at 18:
Bradford
Claussen
Cody
Morgan
Weatherspoon
Price
Tate

The list might not be complete but you get the idea.
id take clausen at 18 lol

thats SERIOUS trade value and a franchise QB backing up a franchise QB, worth the risk for the value imo

me and you vary quite a bit here

Im ok with cody, weatherspoon and morgan and tate....furious with dunlap or dwyer at 18

heres mine

Thrilled at 18

Berry
Suh
Okung
Davis
Bulaga
Thomas
Mcclain
Haden

Ok at 18

Gerald Mccoy (not THAT high on him)
Cody
Spikes
Spiller
Morgan
Trent Williams
Dan Williams
Graham
Clausen (not likely by any means)
Weatherspoon
Bryant
Iupati

(few of these guys would mean commiting to a 43)

Furious....like evander hood blow a gasket furious

Mays
Odrick
Benn
Dunlap
JPP
Campbell
Bradford
Brown
Price

K Train
02-15-2010, 07:01 PM
im actually really surprised you would be disgusted at cody....the man showed at the senior bowl he cant be moved at all, not backwards, not side to side and he takes at least 2, sometimes 3 lineman to stop him AND hes not even close to being as strong as he can be.

Hes a good kid and coachable and with a disciplined coach he will keep his weight down, a big man like that takes 5 days to lose 30+ pounds, hes always lost weight when he has had too. Hes just so rare of a NT that you cant be disgusted at drafting him. hes not haloti ngata, but hes a good athlete and does carry his weight pretty well, hes more like a cross between casey hampton and ted washington, no pass rusher but he will take up space for years

darnik44
02-15-2010, 07:08 PM

I'll give you Price and Gilyard, Gilyard especially because most seem to completly miss what he brings to the table. But I can't understand how you could be a fan of a 3-4 team and not see Odrick's talent. He's absolutely prototypical as a 3-4 DE in his play, his size/frame, athletic ability, strenth, etc, ect...

K Train
02-15-2010, 07:20 PM
I'll give you Price and Gilyard, Gilyard especially because most seem to completly miss what he brings to the table. But I can't understand how you could be a fan of a 3-4 team and not see Odrick's talent. He's absolutely prototypical as a 3-4 DE in his play, his size/frame, athletic ability, strenth, etc, ect...

i like odrick ok, not top 16 players overall though. i agree though he'll play 34 end....im just not sure were committed to the 34 anymore, we will find out this year though through the draft and hampton situation

i would rather take odrick at 18 than evander hood at 32 and i mean that, i would be disappointed with the pick though considering i know there would be a player i would want there instead

K Train
02-15-2010, 07:25 PM
i really believe that if we stick to a 34, cody is the only player that would make hood not completely suck *** for the remainder of his contract. Any linebacker that plays for the steelers should hate hood since he cant take up a blocker to save his life, at least cody has the sheer girth to make up for hoods lack of ability to play that particular position

Black@Gold Forever32
02-15-2010, 08:01 PM
My only concern for Cody is his weight....I would be afraid of his ballooning to 400+ and making him worthless.....Other then that I like Cody.....

K Train
02-15-2010, 08:20 PM
but he can control his weight is all im saying, he was close to 400 when he weighed in for the senior bowl, he was probably somewhere around his normal 365 when he played. steelers have the staff to keep him in shape imo, hes not just a fat slob

BlackGold4vr
02-15-2010, 08:57 PM
My only concern for Cody is his weight....I would be afraid of his ballooning to 400+ and making him worthless.....Other then that I like Cody.....

:plus1:

That is the concern with Cody, that he could eat his way out of the NFL very easily. To miss on a #1 draft pick can hurt a team for a decade. These are the players who are supposed to be the foundation you build your team around. If you argue that Hood was already a miss then taking someone like Cody in the next year is even riskier. To miss on #1 picks in successive years could put us on a slow road to mediocrity. That is my concern with drafting Cody. If we pick him I would pray that you were right and that he could control his weight.

--- Added 2/15/2010 at 06:57 PM ---

but he can control his weight is all im saying, he was close to 400 when he weighed in for the senior bowl, he was probably somewhere around his normal 365 when he played. steelers have the staff to keep him in shape imo, hes not just a fat slob

Multi-million dollar contracts can really enable someone who loves to overeat!

K Train
02-15-2010, 08:59 PM
:plus1:

That is the concern with Cody, that he could eat his way out of the NFL very easily. To miss on a #1 draft pick can hurt a team for a decade. These are the players who are supposed to be the foundation you build your team around. If you argue that Hood was already a miss then taking someone like Cody in the next year is even riskier. To miss on #1 picks in successive years could put us on a slow road to mediocrity. That is my concern with drafting Cody. If we pick him I would pray that you were right and that he could control his weight.

--- Added 2/15/2010 at 06:57 PM ---

Multi-million dollar contracts can really enable someone who loves to overeat!
if andre smith weighs in for the bengals at any given time at over 350 his pay check gets cut in HALF, a clause like that can easily motivate someone NOT to eat themselves to death

andyg1984
02-15-2010, 09:15 PM
i am all for cody, if we could move back into the 20's and somehow get more pick(s) even better ..

not only for the obvious reasons, but out of all the guys that may be there at 18 (or even 52) in this draft he may help our running game the most in short yardage/goal line situations - and make hartwig look less like himself ...as long as BA does not bring him out and somehow go empty backfield ..

darnik44
02-16-2010, 10:34 AM
i like odrick ok, not top 16 players overall though. i agree though he'll play 34 end....im just not sure were committed to the 34 anymore, we will find out this year though through the draft and hampton situation

i would rather take odrick at 18 than evander hood at 32 and i mean that, i would be disappointed with the pick though considering i know there would be a player i would want there instead

I don't think they're committed to the 3-4 either. The one thing about Odrick is he fits that scheme diversive classification Tomlin is always talking about. Odrick's ultimate upside is as a 3-4 DE, but he would be completely fine as a 4-3 DT. I think the Giants are one of the more likely teams to take Odrick.

All that said, I don't think the chances of the Steelers drafting Odrick are very high. I think their will be more highly coveted players/positional values available when they pick. If they didn't waste last year's pick on Ziggy Hood, Odrick would probably be a lock if he was available when they pick.

I don't see Odrick getting out of the top 20, probably not the top 15, and I think he has a small chance to go to 10.

steelcitysfinestXL
02-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Im thinking Snack gets resigned/tagged , Clark gets resigned and Reed gets resigned.

ASSUMING THAT, here are the players i DONT want to see at 18:
Cody -IF snack doesnt get resigned he immediately goes to my 1st overall pick (maybe i trade back too)!!!!
ANY S - be it mays or anyone (but berry) there isnt enough value if clark is back

Come on guys, we all know the steelers! IMO, they arent completely fed up with Will Gay yet (not sure why) plus there is depth in this draft at corner but not much first round quality!

They went DE first round last year, and despite how upset alot of FANS were with the pick, i think FO and coaches like where he is.

They have came out and said that personel changes along the oline may be coming. I dobnt know the OL in this draft as well as some so i wont suggest one but OL is my gut feeling at 18. I think Mardy Gillyard has a ton of value at 18-22+ ... hes a do everything player and i love the Desean Jaskon comparison! He's in that mold but tough like Holmes! I also think if a guy like Spiller falls that far he is a def. possibility! And i like us to trade back and grab Spikes! Just my $0.02

LatrobePA
02-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Did anyone have Mendy in their mock? NO, I see the team drafting someone no one expected the for the 18th pick...

steelcitysfinestXL
02-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Did anyone have Mendy in their mock? NO, I see the team drafting someone no one expected the for the 18th pick...

Well if someone who FO has valued that high falls that far, then ya i agree with you 100%! They said they had him valued top 15 and NEVER expected him to be there. Thats why they worked out Jonathan Stewart and not Mende.

K Train
02-16-2010, 11:38 AM
gilyard is shifty but has half the speed of jackson, he disappeared against florida and without that top line speed and WR in that mold is a slot guy, hes talented but hes not a huge difference maker.

i would love to have hampton and cody on the same team for a year or two.....plus seeing some sort of 2-5-4 would be sick lol

earl thomas is more talented today than clark has ever been....i really disagree with you there, bringing casey and clark back for a year doesnt eliminate the need for a NT and FS

steelcitysfinestXL
02-16-2010, 02:21 PM
gilyard is shifty but has half the speed of jackson, he disappeared against florida and without that top line speed and WR in that mold is a slot guy, hes talented but hes not a huge difference maker.

i would love to have hampton and cody on the same team for a year or two.....plus seeing some sort of 2-5-4 would be sick lol

earl thomas is more talented today than clark has ever been....i really disagree with you there, bringing casey and clark back for a year doesnt eliminate the need for a NT and FS

Hampton and Cody in a 2 man line would be AWESOME... but again, if we have Snack im not sure NT is a 1st round need this season.

Believe me i know Thomas is more talented than Ryan Clark, my point was IF clark is there then i dont think we need a S in the first. I think only Eric Berry has the value to be taken first, by the Steelers, in this draft. Though i agree Thomas may be an upgrade,WITH CLARK, S isnt a 1st round pressing issue.

I like Mardy Gilyard in the first but maybe not at 18. I think he is Jackson like with his shifty-ness and ability to make something happen anytime he touches the ball. But you are right about his DEEP speed... thats why we have Mike Wallace.

I think if the OL they want, C.J. Spiller or Rolando McCLain isnt there at 18, we trade back to 22+ and look for Spikes first then Gilyard second. I want VALUE at a position of need in the first. Hense the reason i havent mentioned a single cornerback!

I liked Ziggy Hood but i never thought he was of first round value... but at pick 32 he barely was!! This year i'd like to be certain we get value out of our pick! I dont want to feel short changed again!

--- Added 2/16/2010 at 12:21 PM ---

bringing casey and clark back for a year doesnt eliminate the need for a NT and FS

I whole-heartedly agree with you there... even if we do sign them both, we need depth at both positions!

darnik44
02-17-2010, 10:42 AM

People knock Gilyard's speed, and I don't get it. Isn't it apparent when he's running down the field to score that he has pretty decent speed? He doesn't have DeSean Jackson speed, but he has legit 4.45 speed which is still plenty good, especially given how shifty he is.

He disappeared against Florida because their interim head coach put together a horrible game plan, and didn't even try to make any adjustments. He also had the best CB in this class, and IMO the best CB prospect since Darrelle Revis covering him. Shut down CB's can shut down the best of them. Look at what Revis did to the best of the best this past season.

K Train
02-17-2010, 11:01 AM
People knock Gilyard's speed, and I don't get it. Isn't it apparent when he's running down the field to score that he has pretty decent speed? He doesn't have DeSean Jackson speed, but he has legit 4.45 speed which is still plenty good, especially given how shifty he is.

He disappeared against Florida because their interim head coach put together a horrible game plan, and didn't even try to make any adjustments. He also had the best CB in this class, and IMO the best CB prospect since Darrelle Revis covering him. Shut down CB's can shut down the best of them. Look at what Revis did to the best of the best this past season.
you really see more than just a slot receiver in him though? i think he could be a good one, but slot receivers are not first round receivers especially in such a deep class

darnik44
02-17-2010, 03:39 PM
you really see more than just a slot receiver in him though? i think he could be a good one, but slot receivers are not first round receivers especially in such a deep class

Yes I do. He's a cross between DeSean Jackson and Santonio Holmes. They are both more than just slot receivers. Besides, in the changing offensive philosophies in the NFL a slot receiver is pretty damn valuble. Wes Welker is just a slot receiver, and he led the league in receptions, and was a pro bowler. In the Steelers wide open offense, we could be very valuble.

steelcitysfinestXL
02-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Yes I do. He's a cross between DeSean Jackson and Santonio Holmes. They are both more than just slot receivers. Besides, in the changing offensive philosophies in the NFL a slot receiver is pretty damn valuble. Wes Welker is just a slot receiver, and he led the league in receptions, and was a pro bowler. In the Steelers wide open offense, we could be very valuble.

:plus1: Also he immediately makes Steffan Logan an after-though cause he is a monster in the return game! I think you get a TON when you get a guy like Gilyard. Sometimes the measurables dont show up on game tape. Look how fast Darius Heyward-Bay was at the combine and he is terrible in the league. At the same time, sometimes the game tape doesnt show up at the combine/pro-day. He may put down 4.5 40 and im still not concerned with his speed.

I really think this kid is the second coming of santonio/harvin/jackson but with a legitimate return game. I wouldnt be mad if we traded back to get him in the first.

igor0190
02-17-2010, 05:57 PM
We don't need a WR...

We have needs, and WR is not even close to one of them. Look at what we got with Wallace last year. Receivers are far from sure things. We need someone to contribute to the team now!

OL, DT, or secondary... I don't see any way we could not use our first pick on one of these positions. Well except maaayyybe if that LB McClain drops to us.

steelcitysfinestXL
02-17-2010, 06:23 PM
We have had a need at OL and DL for the last how many years man? We drafted Hood last year and i seriously doubt we go that route this year 1st round. OL like Iupati, Bulaga and Campbell are all great prosepects (i like Iupati the best to fill a position of needed upgrade) But over the past 3 years we have all been questioning the OL and the FO and coaches have been VERY happy with the personel they have. I wont be suprised if they dont go OL once again.

Besides Eric Berry and MAYBE Joe Haden alot of us agree, there isnt much 1st round worthy talen at DB in this class. Especially with the Quality depth at DB in the later rounds. A guy like Warren or Robinson can he had in the second maybe third (doubtful) Both guys who were being talked up as 1st round worthy CB's back in Dec and Jan.

As far as WR not being a need, that depends on how you look at it. Ward is playing beyond his years and is sure to have a decline sooner than later (hate to say it) Then we have Holmes who is getting better and better and is a capable no. 1 WR. Mike Wallace is a SOLID no. 3 and we'll see if he can be a no. 2 this year. Then after that we have... you tell me? Heaven forbid Ward or Holmes goes down for a 4+ week period with the WR corp we have now!!

Do we need a WR in the first... NO! But a guy like Gilyard at 22,23,24 overall would be a good value pick. Esp if we can get a 2nd or 3rd for trading back.

andyg1984
02-17-2010, 08:04 PM
prospect wise do you like mardy over benn ?

K Train
02-17-2010, 09:22 PM
hes #1wr on darniks rankings, and while i wholeheartedly disagree, benn is very hit or miss and i love darniks scouting report on him saying his best position is a reggie bush like role....hes a great athlete, not the best WR though but a pretty talented runner and receiver out of the backfield

steelcitysfinestXL
02-17-2010, 09:32 PM

Yes! I have Bryant at the top and Gilyard after him. I agree with K-train and think Benn may struggle getting comfortable in the NFL as a WR.

K Train
02-17-2010, 09:41 PM
i like bryant, tate, lafell, gilyard, benn, d williams, thomas, m williams

andyg1984
02-17-2010, 11:42 PM
imo thomas (aka bay-bay) looks like a BEAST at times.. he has that raw label on him but watching a few games in his career he was obviously a huge mismatch and I am not sure if there are more than 1 or 2 corners in this years draft who could cover a more polished version of him ..

where do you guys like him?

--- Added 2/17/2010 at 09:42 PM ---

i would not be surprised at all if thomas ends up to be the 2nd or 3rd best in this class, a little surprised if he could one up dez and i love gilyard, but thomas has HUGE upside relative to the competition on that list imo ..

darnik44
02-18-2010, 12:01 AM

When I watch Benn, I see a lot of the same things I saw and didn't like about Darrius Heyward-Bey. The biggest problem I have is he's not a natural pass catcher. You rarely see him snatch the ball with his hands. This is something that is hard to change at this stage of the game. I think it similar to a quarterback with an elongated delivery. Benn should put on a show at the combine like DHB did, but I think some of the on field drills will show some of his flaws. I do however think he's a better "football player" than DHB, and I expect him to have a much better career. K Train mentioned my scouting report on him, I see his max potential as a WR/RB. He's such a strong runner, and really looks more like a running back with the ball in his hands than he does a receiver. He has really good vision, but doesn't always make people miss.

andyg1984
02-18-2010, 12:16 AM
i agree on benn, so what do you think of bay-bay? i don't care about the system he played in or his questionable blocking .. he can really go get the ball and he is quicker than you would think for a legit 220 or so pounder ...

darnik44
02-18-2010, 12:41 AM
i agree on benn, so what do you think of bay-bay? i don't care about the system he played in or his questionable blocking .. he can really go get the ball and he is quicker than you would think for a legit 220 or so pounder ...

Who is Bay-Bay? Heyward-Bey?

If so, I think he's an athlete and not a football player. I compared him to Troy Williamson last year, and he even went in the exact same draft spot. I think he'll be a little better than Williamson, he isn't as good of an athlete. Let's just say I don't have high expectations for DHB.

K Train
02-18-2010, 01:23 AM
bay bay is Demaryius thomas from GT i beleive

K Train
02-18-2010, 01:26 AM
benn would have been alot better if he went to ND like first thought, going to play with juice really set him back

andyg1984
02-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Who is Bay-Bay? Heyward-Bey?

If so, I think he's an athlete and not a football player. I compared him to Troy Williamson last year, and he even went in the exact same draft spot. I think he'll be a little better than Williamson, he isn't as good of an athlete. Let's just say I don't have high expectations for DHB.

i am talking about thomas from ga tech .. murphy is better than dhb imo ..

darnik44
02-18-2010, 01:48 PM
i am talking about thomas from ga tech .. murphy is better than dhb imo ..

He's a tough one because you never got to see him truely play the role of a WR. But you can't ignor his size, speed combination and his yards per reception. I like him a lot, but I also think he'll be one who takes maybe until his 3rd season to start putting it all together. He just has a lot to learn. Very raw, very high ceiling. He's the type of receiver I felt the Steelers needed, and got when they drafted Limas Sweed. Well, so far that hasn't worked out. With all the bunch formations the Steelers run, and with Mike Wallace as a deep threat I'm not so sure how much Thomas could help the Steelers.

The downside to him is he can't help out anywhere while he developes.

K Train
02-18-2010, 05:43 PM
thomas broke his foot today

andyg1984
02-18-2010, 05:59 PM
he broke it earlier this week i thought .. if he is there at 50 we should be interested .. i know they are highlights, but watch him go up and post up so to speak to get the ball - then watch him stiffarm some guys .. he has the potential imo to be a freeeaaakkk

JensK
02-18-2010, 06:03 PM
How bad is it broken? He wont go before at least 4th round if he cant be back before prodays which he probably cant

K Train
02-18-2010, 06:06 PM
4-6 weeks, will be ready to go by OTAs...some team will take a chance on him in the 2nd or 3rd. no surgery required

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4923683

andyg1984
02-18-2010, 06:33 PM
way way too much upside for the 4th or 3rd imo ..

darnik44
02-20-2010, 08:49 AM
4-6 weeks, will be ready to go by OTAs...some team will take a chance on him in the 2nd or 3rd. no surgery required

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4923683

Yeah, this shouldn't really drop him much if any. It just won't allow him to improve his stock. Teams really wanted to see him run. If he ran well and showed a decent foundation as a route runner someone may have taken him in the 1st round.

andyg1984
02-22-2010, 07:55 PM
a little bored so thought i would try to add to this ..with fwp out of the picture i think we will likely be shopping for a RB (what a bold call, right?) .. so, who are the RB's everyone would prefer we stay away from relative to where they may be picked?

i don't really understand why ryan mattews is so hyped (#2 w/ Mayock), i think we could do without anthony dixon and ben tate/montario hardesty are the boring/dependable type imo ..

still like dexter and blount in the 3rd and 5th if we can get them .. joe mcknight might be a good steeler ??

thoughts?

K Train
02-22-2010, 08:06 PM
mcluster, mcknight, james, maybe scott?

blount will be out of the picture for us, too thug

JensK
02-22-2010, 08:33 PM
I would love McCluster, just because he is the perfect change of phase kind of RB compared to Mendenhall.