PDA

View Full Version : "Tell him he can be my Mike linebacker any day"

Big T
02-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Thompson said Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin spoke at Tennessee’s spring clinic, asked about McClain and asked Thompson to give McClain a message the next time they spoke.

"Tell him he can be my Mike linebacker any day."

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2009/12/rolando_mcclain_brandon_spikes.html (http://blog.al.com/kevin scarbinsky/2009/12/rolando_mcclain_brandon_spikes.html)

It's just something I stumbled upon...it's about 2 months old but it's still encouraging to know that Mike Tomlin really likes Rolando McClain...it gives me hope that if McClain falls to around 10, they might pull the trigger and trade up for him...

K Train
02-08-2010, 08:06 PM
cant argue with that

andyg1984
02-08-2010, 08:14 PM
i've been waiting to post this .. from walterfootball:
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

I don't think the Jaguars will spend the No. 10 selection on Tebow. They can trade down to the 18-22 range (the Steelers would like Rolando McClain) and get him there. Or, they can trade this year's third-round pick and next year's second-round selection to obtain Tebow in Round 2.

thoughts?? i like it and i usually hate LB's in the 1st .. he has a football brain- perfectly capable of manning the control board imo

--- Added 2/8/2010 at 06:14 PM ---

thoughts on the steelers of course, screw tebow - he is truly horrible

BlackGold4vr
02-08-2010, 08:21 PM
I would be ecstatic if the Steelers moved up to get McClain! He is a stud and a future pro-bowler. Giving up a 3rd or 4th round pick to land a player of that caliber would be worth it! Hell, if we were lucky enough to nab McClain and Pouncey I would be ready to pull a Mike Ditka (Ricky Williams pick) and fold up the table and go home. :lol:

just kidding....

That would make this draft successful regardless of what came after that! IMO :yesnod:

K Train
02-08-2010, 08:24 PM
calling it a day with mcclain and pouncey would be ok with me lol

mcclain is a sure thing, cant miss prospect, only a catastrophic injury would keep him from being great.

im sorry but i just CANT see tebow going in the first despite all the rumors

Zachintosh66
02-08-2010, 10:09 PM
i could live with this... theres lots of potential DB help in the draft too, might get lucky and have one fall also...

LatrobePA
02-08-2010, 10:23 PM
i could live with this... theres lots of potential DB help in the draft too, might get lucky and have one fall also...

True and a little shopping in FA's could help on the field day one...Good stuff!

Big T
02-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Thinking of James Harrison, Lawrence Timmons, Rolando McClain, and LaMarr Woodley just gives me chills...I would be ecstatic

JollyRob68
02-09-2010, 01:01 AM
I would be ecstatic if the Steelers moved up to get McClain! He is a stud and a future pro-bowler. Giving up a 3rd or 4th round pick to land a player of that caliber would be worth it! Hell, if we were lucky enough to nab McClain and Pouncey I would be ready to pull a Mike Ditka (Ricky Williams pick) and fold up the table and go home. :lol:

just kidding....

That would make this draft successful regardless of what came after that! IMO :yesnod:

They could switch 1's and give up a 4th or 5th that would be awesome. If the Steelers can Acquire additional 2nd round picks or a 2nd and a 3rd for say Casey Hampton traded to Tampa or KC. That would make my day. Having the additional 2nd round picks early would give us Pouncey and perhaps Myron Rolle or Nate Allen and a CB or Dt.

Big T
02-09-2010, 02:36 AM
They could switch 1's and give up a 4th or 5th that would be awesome. If the Steelers can Acquire additional 2nd round picks or a 2nd and a 3rd for say Casey Hampton traded to Tampa or KC. That would make my day. Having the additional 2nd round picks early would give us Pouncey and perhaps Myron Rolle or Nate Allen and a CB or Dt.

Hampton will be a free agent so we can't trade him...even if the steelers resign him before the draft, they aren't going to trade him...that's not how they do things...and it would cost more than a 4th or 5th round pick to move up 7-8 spots...more like a 3 or a 3 and a 4...

JollyRob68
02-09-2010, 03:17 AM
Hampton will be a free agent so we can't trade him...even if the steelers resign him before the draft, they aren't going to trade him...that's not how they do things...and it would cost more than a 4th or 5th round pick to move up 7-8 spots...more like a 3 or a 3 and a 4...

If they Franchise Hampton which they will ,then they can let him go out and seek a trade. They dont have to use the exclusive franchise tag and teams do do a tag,sing & trade. You dont let Hampton walk for free like we did Faneca. This is a business and they need to get something for him! Old age has caught up to the Steelers and the need to address it before The Championship window closes.
As far as moving up I know it will most likely take a 3 or a 4 but I said the 4th or 5th because we should be getting two compensation picks( i know you cant trade compensation picks). So it wont hurt to lose a 4th or a 5th or both. The Jags dont have a second rounder and if they want to move back for Tebow who knows what they'll settle for. Its not necessarily The Steelers moving up as it is The Jags wanting to move back.
Thanks

darnik44
02-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Thinking of James Harrison, Lawrence Timmons, Rolando McClain, and LaMarr Woodley just gives me chills...I would be ecstatic

Yeah, 3 out of 4 isn't bad. Maybe next year they can draft Timmons replacement.

DanRooney
02-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Yeah, 3 out of 4 isn't bad. Maybe next year they can draft Timmons replacement.

Timmons is a stud. He's just playing the wrong position. 7 sacks and 4 FF for an ILB who missed 2-3 games this season?

LatrobePA
02-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Timmons is a stud. He's just playing the wrong position. 7 sacks and 4 FF for an ILB who missed 2-3 games this season?

Agree 100% He's a keeper!

Zachintosh66
02-09-2010, 01:23 PM
when its all said and done Timmons will be the best LB'er out of the 4 starters we have now... :markit:

K Train
02-09-2010, 01:45 PM
lol i love timmons...hes just terrible against the run, that wouldnt matter as much if we drafted a DE that was servicable against it and could do basically their only job.

please aaron smith dont get hurt this year

LatrobePA
02-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Julius Peppers, cough cough!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
02-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Tomlin needs to shut the hell up on players he likes.........Cost a chance at Revis in 2007 when Tomlin kept going on his man crush he had on Revis.......McClain a Steeler would be sweet but trading up will cost a 2nd round pick..........I think you would have to trade up to the 10-12 range.....

--- Added 2/9/2010 at 03:39 PM ---

Julius Peppers, cough cough!!!

Would Peppers play DE in a 3-4.....Seems he would switch to OLB with his speed and athletic ability.........Even though he would be a huge OLB.....

Big T
02-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Peppers says he wants to play linebacker in a 3-4....Im sure he could play end but it would be a complete waste of his skill set...he is a pass rusher and a top-5 one at that...he's a ****ing monster...

K Train
02-09-2010, 07:02 PM
peppers is a huge underachiever who wants to be the highest paid defensive player anyway.

he might be a freak of nature but doesnt play anywhere close to his ability

LatrobePA
02-09-2010, 09:17 PM
peppers is a huge underachiever who wants to be the highest paid defensive player anyway.

he might be a freak of nature but doesnt play anywhere close to his ability

I think he's the Randy Moss while at Oakland, broke out on the scene in NE, I think in the right "fit" Peppers could be one bad mofo!

DanRooney
02-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Tomlin needs to shut the hell up on players he likes.........Cost a chance at Revis in 2007 when Tomlin kept going on his man crush he had on Revis.......McClain a Steeler would be sweet but trading up will cost a 2nd round pick..........I think you would have to trade up to the 10-12 range.....

--- Added 2/9/2010 at 03:39 PM ---

Would Peppers play DE in a 3-4.....Seems he would switch to OLB with his speed and athletic ability.........Even though he would be a huge OLB.....

Depends. If McClain falls to 14-15, trading up 3 spots will not cost us a 2nd rounder.

JensK
02-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Depends. If McClain falls to 14-15, trading up 3 spots will not cost us a 2nd rounder.

I dont see him falling that far at all though. I know ILB always loose a little stock come draft day, but i still think he'll be taken before 14.

darnik44
02-10-2010, 10:00 AM
lol i love timmons...hes just terrible against the run, that wouldnt matter as much if we drafted a DE that was servicable against it and could do basically their only job.

please aaron smith dont get hurt this year

Timmons is like having a WR with world class speed, but horrible hands. It's no good when one of your ILB's can't play the run. He would be very good in a 4-3 system. Nobody should get caught up in his sack numbers and think he should be playing OLB for us. Originally that was the plan, but he lacks the size and strength to go toe to toe with an OT on a regular basis. He was a waste of the 15th pick. He could be replaced by a 3rd or 4th round ILB. We might loose some of the "splash plays," but overall would be better off in the middle. Give me Keyaron Fox any day of the week over Timmons. But because of Timmons draft status and salary that won't be happening any time soon.

K Train
02-10-2010, 01:13 PM
i understand what your saying and agree, but thats why i would want mcclain or spikes in the middle to somewhat compensate for timmons lack of run support (which has gotten better)

idk who i would have wanted at 15 that year that was still there, maybe aaron ross? lol

JensK
02-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Timmons is like having a WR with world class speed, but horrible hands. It's no good when one of your ILB's can't play the run. He would be very good in a 4-3 system. Nobody should get caught up in his sack numbers and think he should be playing OLB for us. Originally that was the plan, but he lacks the size and strength to go toe to toe with an OT on a regular basis. He was a waste of the 15th pick. He could be replaced by a 3rd or 4th round ILB. We might loose some of the "splash plays," but overall would be better off in the middle. Give me Keyaron Fox any day of the week over Timmons. But because of Timmons draft status and salary that won't be happening any time soon.

I agree that Timmons is bad against the run, but i really think he is improving. I think he'll open many eyes next year. With McClain or Spikes in there together with him, i would tear things op, because he would not have to focus so much on the run

Big T
02-10-2010, 04:24 PM
I love the way Timmons blitz'...he's so fast that he just smashes through the line....he's f*cking controlled chaos and I love it...but like Train said, he may not be good against the run but put a thumper like McClain or Spikes next to him and **** gets real...

JollyRob68
02-14-2010, 03:07 PM
No to peppers.We need to get younger.

--- Added 2/14/2010 at 01:07 PM ---

WHy has Brandon Spikes status dropped? Anyone? would you take him at 18?

K Train
02-14-2010, 04:14 PM
i still hold spikes as a valuable player

Big T
02-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Depending on who is there, I would still consider Spikes at 18...I would also consider trading back 5-7 spots and taking him there....I think he's going to be a really, really good pro...

steelcitysfinestXL
02-16-2010, 10:31 AM
i still hold spikes as a valuable player

Depending on who is there, I would still consider Spikes at 18...I would also consider trading back 5-7 spots and taking him there....I think he's going to be a really, really good pro...

Im sorry... but after watching film of both guys, i think Spikes is head and shoulders better than McClain. McClain looks slow laterally while Spikes explodes. McClain is an arm tackler who likes to twist and throw a player to the ground. Spikes drives through the man and gets his head across the mans body like a form tackler should. Neither is speacial in coverage but Spikes is faster with a nonstop motor! When it comes to recognizing run and reacting: Both guys look about equal shedding blocks (upperhand to Spikes cause i have seen him toss OL to the side) McClain seems to keep on his toes and let the play come more to him. Then he sheds his blocker and makes the tackle. Spikes seems to attack the ball at the LOS and make the play there BUT with that speed has a tendecy to sometimes OVER-RUN the play or get cut back against. Both guys can be speacial... but McClain will come off the board first (imo the second best ILB in this draft) and we MAY be able to trade back and get spikes!!

--- Added 2/16/2010 at 08:31 AM ---

i understand what your saying and agree, but thats why i would want mcclain or spikes in the middle to somewhat compensate for timmons lack of run support (which has gotten better)

idk who i would have wanted at 15 that year that was still there, maybe aaron ross? lol

I said then trade back and take Paul Poz. But no matter how much of a monster he is at MLB he is a walking injury and i dont think playing here over BUF would change that LOL!

K Train
02-16-2010, 11:40 AM
i like poz in buffalo, i didnt want him in the first as a steeler though

and theres really nothing you can say that would make me think spikes is head and shoulders better than mcclain....thats false right no and i love spikes

cmerrifield
02-16-2010, 11:43 AM
If we draft an ILB, would Timmons shift to Farrior's spot and the new ILB would replace Timmons, I think that would be much better for Timmons natural skill set. I know not this first year, but I am thinking more long term.

steelcitysfinestXL
02-16-2010, 01:58 PM
i like poz in buffalo, i didnt want him in the first as a steeler though

and theres really nothing you can say that would make me think spikes is head and shoulders better than mcclain....thats false right no and i love spikes

Meh, to each his own! I hate watching him tackle (from the film i have seen) I think everybody is in love with him because of his "Quarterback of the defense/mental part or the game" role he filled at Bama.

But the same "professionals" who say that also say Brandon Spikes is "...one of the most instinctual players in college football today!" Combined that with the fact i think Spikes is more versitile as a 1-3rd down player. He got great pressure as a blitzer (though few sacks) and McClain is seen more as a drop back guy on 3rd down. Timmons is already a great cover guy and a pretty damn good blitzer. So i see he and Spikes being a more versitile duo.

Just my opinion, i like Spikes better to fill the role of the aging James Farrior. I hate Florida and Bama... so i looked at these guys in a VERY un-biased light. I think we can trade back to 22-24 and get Spikes and think we have to give up a 3rd maybe 2nd to get McClain. I wouldnt be upset with either, but i dont think McClain is worth trading for when a player like Spikes can be had in the 20's.

LatrobePA
02-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Spikes is a freak with a motor that don't stop! He'd sure up our ILB spot...

steelcitysfinestXL
02-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Spikes is a freak with a motor that don't stop! He'd sure up our ILB spot...

Combined with Timmons, that makes two "freaks with motors that dont stop!" Only one of them (Spikes) can play the run like a ILB... and Timmons can learn from him and Farrior!

LatrobePA
02-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Combined with Timmons, that makes two "freaks with motors that dont stop!" Only one of them (Spikes) can play the run like a ILB... and Timmons can learn from him and Farrior!

Would be fun to watch!

K Train
02-16-2010, 03:01 PM
i would have no problems with spikes at 18....everyone is down on him at the moment because of timed speed but he was considered a top 10 sure fire pick a few months ago....while i agree mcclain has established himself as #1, after him and spikes theres a huge drop off as far as 34 MLBs go

Big T
02-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Agreed....I would have absolutely no problem with spikes at 18...he'd be a great fit next to timmons...it would get me excited, especially being a gator fan....

Zachintosh66
02-16-2010, 03:32 PM
all a pipe dream...

DanRooney
02-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Spikes at 18?! You kidding me?

Dude this guy is going really late in the first round at best. Probably early in the 2nd.

steelcitysfinestXL
02-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Spikes at 18?! You kidding me?

Dude this guy is going really late in the first round at best. Probably early in the 2nd.

Your opinion... i would be cool with him at 18, but i think he can be had at 22. I would rather take Spikes at 18 than trade anything more than a 4th for McClain!

--- Added 2/16/2010 at 03:37 PM ---

i would have no problems with spikes at 18....everyone is down on him at the moment because of timed speed but he was considered a top 10 sure fire pick a few months ago....while i agree mcclain has established himself as #1, after him and spikes theres a huge drop off as far as 34 MLBs go

Yeah, Spikes is a guy who's measurables are gonna cost him some $$$. Watching his film, though, he is pretty damn fast for his size! And after him, if it even is Shawn Lee, is a MASSIVE drop off!

andyg1984
02-16-2010, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=steelcitysfinestXL;334249] McClain is an arm tackler who likes to twist and throw a player to the ground. Spikes drives through the man and gets his head across the mans body like a form tackler should.
QUOTE]

you bring up a good point, i used to think McClain was superior, but one of my buddies who is a gator fan brought up the same point and i have to say it is true on tackling ability hands down - no question- plus spikes seems to fit the 3-4 better than McClain .. could McClain be Curry and Spikes be Rey Mal? Don't get me wrong, whoever gets McClain is going to have an outstanding athlete, leader and football player- but he would probably not last very long in the theoretical octagan w/ spikes ...

i like spikes or cody in a trade back to the early to mid twenties .. but i like cody more because of the scarcity of guys like Cody relative to those like spikes - it seems every year solid ILB's come out that are decent value based on where we pick

K Train
02-16-2010, 06:52 PM
i thought the chargers were gonna take maualuga at 18 last year...he MAY fall but spikes is pretty comparable to farrior and farrior was a first round pick too....hes not willis, but just a tier below and after that you can get solid starters (ala jasper brinkley) in the 5th round, which i think we could get in micah johnson also. but spikes can ball

andyg1984
02-16-2010, 11:29 PM
yeah, i have been interested in micah johnson - a little bit of an injury risk, but if not for that imo he would make a case as an early 3rd rounder simply because he would be the only guy in that 2nd tier of MLB's ... supposedly was a beast in hsfb

another LB who I am coming back around to is George Selvie .. i went through phases of thinking selvie was a 1st round pick to thinking he would be too tweener for any good, but now i am back on board big time ... obviously not in the 1st lol, but in the long run i think he makes a strong case for the 3rd round..

Big T
02-16-2010, 11:55 PM
If be happy with George selvie in the 3rd...the guy is a beast...he's a tweener, the kind of guy the steelers like...