PDA

View Full Version : LeBeau & Grimm heading to the Hall

Prosdo
02-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Grimm, Randle, LeBeau part of '10 class

Associated Press
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- All-time greats Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith led a class of seven into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday.

The NFL's career receiving and rushing leaders were joined in the Hall by John Randle, Russ Grimm, Rickey Jackson, Floyd Little and Dick LeBeau. Little and LeBeau were elected as senior committee nominees.

Rice and Smith both made it in their first year of eligibility.

"This is almost perfect," Smith said. "I don't think even Steven Spielberg could have written a script this nice."

They will be inducted into the Canton, Ohio, shrine on Aug. 7.

"I am just honored ... to stand up there with greatness," Rice added.

Nobody could stop Rice, the league's top pass catcher and all-time touchdowns leader, when he played for San Francisco, Oakland and Seattle. Rice made 1,549 catches for 22,895 yards, had 14 1,000-yard seasons and scored 208 touchdowns.

Nor could they handle Smith, who rushed for 18,355 yards and 164 touchdowns for Dallas and Arizona. Like Rice, he won three Super Bowls and one MVP award in the NFL's championship game.

And no one could deny them immediate entry into the Hall. A nominee needs 80 percent approval from the 44 media members who vote and they were slam-dunks.

"We were rewarded on this day and the both of us get the chance to do what we want to do," Smith said.

"It's just like playing in that big game, this is something you think about, and it is happening. I never thought I would go in .... with this guy here," Rice added about Smith.

LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4893276

Finally LeBeau gets the honor!

LarryNJ
02-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Congrats Dick! Enjoy the moment!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Absolutely WAY overdue and well deserved..Congrats to one of the greatest defensive minds the NFL has ever or will ever see. :hail: :clap:

http://www.steelers.com/article/117096/

http://static.steelers.com/MediaContent//2010/02/01/12/Dick_LeBeau_HallofFame_Coac_117062.jpg
LeBeau headed to the Hall of Fame
Saturday, February 6, 2010
PITTSBURGH ─ Known to contemporary NFL fans as the mastermind behind the Steelers defensive successes of the past 18 seasons, Dick LeBeau was honored with the highest individual award in professional football when Pro Football Hall of Fame announced him today as a member of its Class of 2010 for his 14-year career as a player.
LeBeau is part of a seven-member class that also includes offensive guard Russ Grimm, linebacker Ricky Jackson, running back Floyd Little, defensive tackle John Randle, wide receiver Jerry Rice and running back Emmitt Smith.

In August 2009, the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Seniors Committee had named LeBeau and Little as finalists for the Class of 2010, and then they both received at least 80 percent of today’s vote by the overall selection committee to be elected.

“I would like to congratulate Dick on his election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame,” Steelers’ President Art Rooney II said. “Few men in the history of the NFL have contributed more to the league as a player and coach than Dick LeBeau during his 51 years in the league. All of us with the Steelers are thrilled with his selection to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2010.”

LeBeau spent all of those 14 seasons as a cornerback for the Detroit Lions, and he still holds the NFL record for that position with 171 consecutive games played. His 62 career interceptions currently rank seventh on the NFL’s all-time list and were third in the league at the time of his retirement following the 1972 season. LeBeau earned three trips to the Pro Bowl (1965-67) and led the NFC in interceptions with nine in 1970. He originally was drafted by the Cleveland Browns out of Ohio State, but he was waived during training camp and claimed by the Lions before the start of the 1959 NFL season.

In addition to his Hall of Fame resume as a player, LeBeau has had a stellar career as an NFL coach. Acclaimed as the inventor of the “zone-blitz” schemes that still are widely used throughout the NFL, LeBeau has spent the past six seasons in a second tour as the Steelers’ defensive coordinator. Hired to be the secondary coach on Bill Cowher’s first staff in 1992, LeBeau became the defensive coordinator in 1995. He was the Steelers’ defensive coordinator in 1995-96 before leaving the team to take a job with the Bengals that set him up with the chance to be an NFL head coach.

The Steelers led the NFL in total defense in 2008 and have led the AFC in rush defense in three of the past six seasons under LeBeau’s direction. Pittsburgh has been at or near the top in several defensive categories during his two tenures with the Steelers and he has helped the team reach three Super Bowls as a coordinator, with wins in Super Bowls XL and XLIII and the loss coming in Super Bowl XXX.

LeBeau has spent a total of 37 seasons as an NFL coach – as an assistant with the Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles, Green Bay Packers, Cincinnati Bengals and Buffalo Bills, and as the head coach of the Bengals from 2000-02.

LeBeau will be enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, on Saturday, Aug. 7, at Fawcett Stadium.

steelersbabex25
02-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Congrats to LeBeau! :clap: We all knew it was bound to happen.

SteelCityKid5
02-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Its a good day for Steelers football

LatrobePA
02-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Congrats DL.....Awesome news!

xxxsteelernation
02-06-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm so glad that LeBeau got in. now we need dawson and lloyd to get in.

Zachintosh66
02-06-2010, 09:09 PM
if Dawson is having trouble getting in, lloyd wont ever make it...

congrats Dick! :towel:

Steelerlyn
02-06-2010, 09:35 PM
I just traded DL's card about 2 months ago.

Sir Blitzelot
02-06-2010, 09:40 PM
It's about time, congratulations to them both! :yellowthumb:

K Train
02-06-2010, 09:56 PM
clearly he was going to get it and he has rod woodson to thank for the push to get him over the hump

Black@Gold Forever32
02-06-2010, 10:05 PM
LeBeau should have made it long ago.....He was a great player in his playing days.......

I think its laughable that somebody suggested Greg Lloyd for the Hall of Fame.....I was a huge Lloyd fan growing up but I'm sorry he doesn't belong in Canton..........

K Train
02-06-2010, 10:07 PM
maybe the steeler hall of fame.

canton is for the best of the best, not just the good

DIESELMAN
02-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Sweet!!! Its about time for LeBeau!!!

JensK
02-07-2010, 09:24 AM
clearly he was going to get it and he has rod woodson to thank for the push to get him over the hump

I think at least Rod Woodson shortened the process some. As you say, he was bound to get in at some point.

Brad 69
02-07-2010, 10:54 AM
congrats Dick!:tt02::banana::banana::tt02:

75Steeler
02-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Congrats to Coach LeBeau and thanks to Rod Woodson for his kind words that pushed the process along.

:woot:

Stlrs4Life
02-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Congrats Dick Lebeau! Also to Russ Grimm.