PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE draft Brian Bulaga!

tburg68
02-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Send Starks to RT, Colon to RG. Instantly a major upgrade to the line. If Pouncey is available at #50 draft him. OL is then solid/great for next several years. Go Defense last 5 rounds!

K Train
02-05-2010, 05:26 PM
its bryan

just sayin

lol

JollyRob68
02-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Send Starks to RT, Colon to RG. Instantly a major upgrade to the line. If Pouncey is available at #50 draft him. OL is then solid/great for next several years. Go Defense last 5 rounds!
Bryan Bulaga would be a good pick however he's moving up the board. Gary Dulac I believe keeps saying Colon is not going to be switched to guard. The weak link in the Line is Center. Maurkice Pouncey would be Awesome in the second and possibly the first if certain people get selected before the 18th pick.
I'd like them to go 1 DB/DL, 2 OC/OL 3 DL/DB or Toby Gearheart only, 4 DL/DB, 5 OL/DT/RB( IF NO TOBY IN 3RD), 6 DT/OL, 7 TE/FB
HOWEVER
If they select Bulaga in the first then they need a DB in the 2nd, OC in the 3rd or Toby. Then follow with DB/DL'S AND END WITH A RB IN6 AND TE/FB IN 7TH

tburg68
02-05-2010, 09:08 PM
its bryan

just sayin

lol

Kaye Train. J/K LOL

coach
02-05-2010, 10:17 PM
You never know who will be on the board and what opportunities present themselves, but I thought this article did a good job of outlining where immediate needs were and where some needs could be put off a bit longer than others.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/report/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers

We will have great talent to choose from at 18. That is for sure.

andyg1984
02-05-2010, 11:35 PM
can any1 dig up tape/analysis of pouncey vs williams/cody? i want to hop on board the pouncey bandwagon, but i absolutely despise the versatile lineman argument and do not remember thinking stud pivot watching him in the games vs ala/tenn where FL struggled to move the ball - but then again i was watching at the bar ..

btw cbs sucks if it has mays at 12 overall ..

Zachintosh66
02-05-2010, 11:42 PM
id bet all my SA Gold we do not go after a C 1st or 2nd...

lots of DB talent this year... im thinking perhaps OL or Williams. Unless Earl T, McClain or Spikes is still on the board. CB round 2...

of course this is like the 4th time ive changed my mind and were not even to the combine yet :lol:

SteelerSteve
02-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Bryan Bulaga would be a good pick however he's moving up the board. Gary Dulac I believe keeps saying Colon is not going to be switched to guard. The weak link in the Line is Center. Maurkice Pouncey would be Awesome in the second and possibly the first if certain people get selected before the 18th pick.
I'd like them to go 1 DB/DL, 2 OC/OL 3 DL/DB or Toby Gearheart only, 4 DL/DB, 5 OL/DT/RB( IF NO TOBY IN 3RD), 6 DT/OL, 7 TE/FB
HOWEVER
If they select Bulaga in the first then they need a DB in the 2nd, OC in the 3rd or Toby. Then follow with DB/DL'S AND END WITH A RB IN6 AND TE/FB IN 7TH I didn't know you could draft offensive coordinators, but hell it might be worth a shot :lol: :nahnah:

JollyRob68
02-06-2010, 01:44 AM
I just watched the highlights of the game and he does a great job against Cody.
Maurkice Pouncey (Lakeland, Fla.) was presented with the 2009 Rimington Trophy in a ceremony held at the Rococo Theatre on Saturday night in Lincoln, Neb. The Rimington Trophy is awarded annually to the most outstanding center in NCAA Division I-A football.

K Train
02-06-2010, 03:02 AM
pouncey is not the typical "versatile" linemen...hes a center

JensK
02-06-2010, 03:20 AM
I bet Bulaga wont be there at 18, and i bet that pouncey wont be there at 50.

I dont care too much for those versatile linemen anyways. I don't want a player who can play multiple positions, i want a player who can dominate the one position he is playing.

K Train
02-06-2010, 03:37 AM
which is what you get with bulaga and pouncey...a left tackle and a center...ouncey is versatile in that he can play guard only because his twin brother did so he could...which is defintitely true

Black@Gold Forever32
02-06-2010, 04:45 AM
Earl Thomas, Brian Bulaga, Anthony Davis in the first for me......If those three are gone then trade down and draft Pouncey.......The Steelers need a dominating talent along the OL and of course I would prefer an OT......But a center like Pouncey would do wonders for the Steelers OL......Then draft Cam Thomas the NT from North Carolina in the second round......Thomas won't make it to the Steelers third round pick......

DanRooney
02-06-2010, 09:47 AM
I've got Bulaga, Thomas, and Dan Williams rounding out my top 3 guys I want in the first. Hopefully one of these guys falls to us. Pouncey or Brandon Spikes in the second.

tburg68
02-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Earl Thomas, Brian Bulaga, Anthony Davis in the first for me......If those three are gone then trade down and draft Pouncey.......The Steelers need a dominating talent along the OL and of course I would prefer an OT......But a center like Pouncey would do wonders for the Steelers OL......Then draft Cam Thomas the NT from North Carolina in the second round......Thomas won't make it to the Steelers third round pick......

Both Bulaga and Pouncey are dominating lineman. Bulaga was a beast in the Orange Bowl. Pouncey is nasty. It would be nice to have that again at center.

Silverback
02-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Just wondering, did Pouncey's brother come out this year as well or did he stay?

BlackGold4vr
02-06-2010, 02:21 PM
We have 1st round talent in every unit of our team EXCEPT the O-line.

QB - Ben Roethlisburger: 1st round
RB - Rashard Mendenhall: 1st round
WR - Santonio Holmes: 1st round
TE - Heath Miller: 1st round

O-line - collection of rejects

D-line - Casey Hampton: 1st round
LB's - Lawrence Timmons, James Farrior: both 1st rounders
Secondary - Troy Polamalu: 1st round

Its time to show some love to the O-line. We haven't drafted an O-lineman in the first round since Alan Faneca (9x pro-bowl selection; 6x All-Pro). Can't keep picking up other teams rejects and undrafted free agents and then expect all-pro performances out of them. Drafting Bulaga AND Pouncey could solidify this O-line for the next decade! Will they have the stones to do it? :thinking:

JollyRob68
02-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Just wondering, did Pouncey's brother come out this year as well or did he stay?

No he went back and is switching to Center for his SR year.

Silverback
02-06-2010, 02:30 PM
No he went back and is switching to Center for his SR year.

Thanks.

JollyRob68
02-06-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm glad people are feeling the love for Pouncey & Bulaga. Both of them will move up the draft. Experts are already saying Bulaga is catching Okung & Davis. Pouncey now that he's declared is at #32 and will rise.
In the first round Id want Pouncey,Bulaga, Jared Odrick or Earl Thomas (i don't think he'll be there).

Silverback
02-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Id agree with any of those picks. No one has really talked much about Jared Odrick, but with all this 'instill youth in the d-line' is he a legitimate pick at #18?

BlackGold4vr
02-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Unlike most here who are already calling Hood a "bust" I disagree. Hood showed a lot of progress last year considering the very limited playing time he received. I believe he is on par with any other 3-4 DE drafted last year. With a guy like Brett Kiesel who took 6 years to crack the starting line-up, how can you not see that his shelf life is almost over. Hood will take Kiesels job if not this year then next. The more urgent need on the D-line is NT because of Hamptons contract issues. Without a dominant NT the 3-4 defense just doesn't work. :2cents:

The O-line is still the biggest need on this team. We have a group of late round picks and undrafted free agents and it shows. If we gave the O-line the first two picks in this draft it could anchor this line for the next decade.

Zachintosh66
02-06-2010, 04:14 PM
O-line - collection of rejects

:lol: but true...

Hood wasnt a sexy pick, but i think he will be fine. Not a Aaron Smith but perhaps eventually a Keisel maybe.

DIESELMAN
02-06-2010, 04:37 PM
We all need to stop asking for a OL in the 1st rd. The past 3 years we've been begging for a stud OL and end up getting the exact opposite. Soooo we need to quit jinxing ourselves and start asking for a kicker in the 1st rd. :greengrin:

PS. would love to have Bulaga or Davis in the 1st rd. :greengrin:

tburg68
02-06-2010, 04:57 PM
:lol: but true...

Hood wasnt a sexy pick, but i think he will be fine. Not a Aaron Smith but perhaps eventually a Keisel maybe.

Obviously not from you, but it kills me to see so many write him off as a waste after only one year. He will be better than Keisel, and has the talent to be as good(although not the same kind)a player as Smith.

K Train
02-06-2010, 08:55 PM
even AQ shipley could blow hood off the ball.

hood is a terrible 34 end and will always be one....one game with a lucky sack and a fumble recovery that fell into his arms doesnt show promise. he would be a decent interior pass rusher on a 4 man line and thats what he will be for us until his contract runs out which will be a great day. he will spend his steeler career as a 3rd down pass rushing interior lineman

tburg68
02-06-2010, 09:40 PM

hood is a terrible 34 end and will always be one....one game with a lucky sack and a fumble recovery that fell into his arms doesnt show promise. he would be a decent interior pass rusher on a 4 man line and thats what he will be for us until his contract runs out which will be a great day. he will spend his steeler career as a 3rd down pass rushing interior lineman

I think I'm gonna trust the Steelers FO and coaching staff more than you. If he sucks after year three, you can say I told you so.

K Train
02-07-2010, 04:08 AM
go ahead...trust them. im sorry to inform you they are not the all mighty, theyve let you down before and they will again...it happens. with all the success the steelers have had there have been substantial failures on their resume. its a hard reality and with 2 superbowls in the last few years alot of fans like you will think they are the best ever...but thats to be expected

coldrolled
02-08-2010, 09:20 AM
I think I'm gonna trust the Steelers FO and coaching staff more than you. If he sucks after year three, you can say I told you so.

good point... 2009 need 1-2 years still...

who are we still waiting for to improve and start from the 2007 and 2008 draft?
this is where we need to look for answers.

1. Sweed #2 pick
2. ???

steelcitysfinestXL
02-08-2010, 09:57 AM

As good as you are at judging talent (IMO atleast) i guess your pride still out shines your knowledge! Im not callin you out or tryin to be a "internet tough guy"... i know early you hated the Hood pick (understandably) but what did you see that still has you so down on him!?!?! I think he did well (maybe even slighly exceeded expectation) with limited oppurtunity and has ALOT of promise! Whats the deal K!?!?

--- Added 2/8/2010 at 08:57 AM ---

good point... 2009 need 1-2 years still...

who are we still waiting for to improve and start from the 2007 and 2008 draft?
this is where we need to look for answers.

1. Sweed #2 pick
2. ???

Ahhh, how bout the number one overall pick in '07? Yeah he is starting (out of need not ability and out of position) and yeah he flashes some brilliance (not nearly enough) but, he is VERY inconsistant and usually out of position! Do i think he will be good... OF COARSE! He's a freakish athelete, that hits like a truck! But his run reckognition, ability to tackle in traffic, and ability to shed interior OL blocks is PITYFUL!!! His Pass rush skills and eye for stripping the ball are PHENOMINAL!

Timmons should go back and watch Jonathan Vilma make plays at the L.O.S. and in the backfield on a consistant basis last night!!!

K Train
02-08-2010, 10:01 AM
As good as you are at judging talent (IMO atleast) i guess your pride still out shines your knowledge! Im not callin you out or tryin to be a "internet tough guy"... i know early you hated the Hood pick (understandably) but what did you see that still has you so down on him!?!?! I think he did well (maybe even slighly exceeded expectation) with limited oppurtunity and has ALOT of promise! Whats the deal K!?!?

the fact he he was there only to spell travis and eason is a little disappointing, i know its not an easy position to learn and thats for damn sure but after all the evander ball washing in training camp by some players and coaches he didnt do dick when he got on the field except that one game.

i promise you that if hes not in a 43 or just pass rushing situations he will be exposed forever. he gets taken out of so many plays, especially run plays. and i also promise you that if this team wastes another #1 pick like they did with evander they will be set back several years....the steelers are a very solid team but getting old on defense and are gonna need guys to play sooner rather than later at several positions and evander was a huge project to take in the first with 34 intentions.

steelers need a big draft, especially in the first 3 rounds....cant be wasting talent while teams like the patriots who are in a similar positions are having incredible drafts the last few years

K Train
02-08-2010, 10:04 AM
timmons will never be a run stopping MLB, which is why we need one to fill in for farrior soon, really soon. but timmons is a great pass rusher, and hes so good in coverage since he can run stride for stride with many WRs....not a complete player but certainly not one dimensional. i think he will have a big year though

also....you can credit mr hood for making timmons and the rest have to take one so many blockers sicnce hood can be blown out of the play by one guy

steelcitysfinestXL
02-08-2010, 10:05 AM
the fact he he was there only to spell travis and eason is a little disappointing, i know its not an easy position to learn and thats for damn sure but after all the evander ball washing in training camp by some players and coaches he didnt do dick when he got on the field except that one game.

i promise you that if hes not in a 43 or just pass rushing situations he will be exposed forever. he gets taken out of so many plays, especially run plays. and i also promise you that if this team wastes another #1 pick like they did with evander they will be set back several years....the steelers are a very solid team but getting old on defense and are gonna need guys to play sooner rather than later at several positions and evander was a huge project to take in the first with 34 intentions.

steelers need a big draft, especially in the first 3 rounds....cant be wasting talent while teams like the patriots who are in a similar positions are having incredible drafts the last few years

OH, believe me in NOT impressed with the Steelers abaility to put together a WHOLE draft what so ever! But i dont think Ziggy was any more of a waste than Timmons to this point! Both guys have a ton of promise, but both guys could struggle playing out of position for a while!

K Train
02-08-2010, 10:06 AM
OH, believe me in NOT impressed with the Steelers abaility to put together a WHOLE draft what so ever! But i dont think Ziggy was any more of a waste than Timmons to this point! Both guys have a ton of promise, but both guys could struggle playing out of position for a while!

timmons was a similar reach, but a way better player than hood and despite playing out of position he is effective, something i doubt we will ever be able to say about hood.

Zachintosh66
02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
:duh:

Oh man they got K going again...

Black@Gold Forever32
02-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Hood and Timmons are not ideal fits for the 3-4.....But Timmons has made strides and really is coming along as an ILB.....Of course he will ever be the ideal ILB for this defense but I like his big play ability.......I wasn't high on Ziggy Hood either but I'm all for giving the guy a chance and I do think he improved as the season went on.....

JensK
02-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Hood and Timmons are not ideal fits for the 3-4.....But Timmons has made strides and really is coming along as an ILB.....Of course he will ever be the ideal ILB for this defense but I like his big play ability.......I wasn't high on Ziggy Hood either but I'm all for giving the guy a chance and I do think he improved as the season went on.....

I really think if Hood can add some weight he could be a really good player for us. He is just too easy to push right now. I will never be happy about the Hood pick, but i think the guy has talent, and i think he can be converted into a good player. He is still a reach though. I think Timmons had the advantage of being a freakish athlete. He can do a lot of stuff at pretty much all LB positions just because of his athleticism. That being said, Timmons used 3 years before he became a starter - i think Hood should get that as well. If he fails, then we can write him off.

K Train
02-08-2010, 12:37 PM
timmons didnt need 3 years though and timmons played alot in year 2....year one he was moved from OLB to MLB cause we didnt know harrison was gonn take over the world at joeys spot. plus he injured his groin but he got on the field on ST alot at the end of the year. the "taking 3 years" is a beat argument, he layed more than foote year 2 and then forced foote off the team in year 3

Black@Gold Forever32
02-08-2010, 12:58 PM
I really think if Hood can add some weight he could be a really good player for us. He is just too easy to push right now. I will never be happy about the Hood pick, but i think the guy has talent, and i think he can be converted into a good player. He is still a reach though. I think Timmons had the advantage of being a freakish athlete. He can do a lot of stuff at pretty much all LB positions just because of his athleticism. That being said, Timmons used 3 years before he became a starter - i think Hood should get that as well. If he fails, then we can write him off.

I agree Hood probably was a reach......The Steelers were just in a weird spot at 32 really and I just have to trust their judgment that they thought Hood was best available ......Really the Steelers should have tried really hard to trade out of that spot (up or down)....I wanted Oher badly and was hoping they were going to trade up.....I'm not giving up on Hood and I agree with you he has some potential to become a player......His ideal fit is still 4-3 pass rushing DT............

In my opinion to I think Mike Tomlin does have some kind of plan on when Dick LeBeau finally retires....I don't think he will switch to 4-3 fulltime....But I wouldn't be surprised if Tomlin did try to run some hybrid type of defense and that could be the reason he is adding players like Timmons and Hood who are not ideal fits for the 3-4 defense....Just a thought of mine and I could be crazy......:lol:

tburg68
02-08-2010, 05:21 PM
go ahead...trust them. im sorry to inform you they are not the all mighty, theyve let you down before and they will again...it happens. with all the success the steelers have had there have been substantial failures on their resume. its a hard reality and with 2 superbowls in the last few years alot of fans like you will think they are the best ever...but thats to be expected

Your arrogance is beginning to cloud any credibility that you think you have. I don't think the Steelers FO is the best ever, or the best presently. I do think they are better at their jobs than you are. Maybe you should get a job in an NFL front office and spread your knowledge around. My point is you can't say someone is a bust after one season in which the player was not given an opportunity to start. In the NFL, there have been plenty of examples of players that didn't blossom until year 2 or 3. Hood may end up a bust, but you can't say that he definitely will be after one season.

K Train
02-08-2010, 05:23 PM
i look forward to you being disappointed a few years down the line and thinking wow that ******* on SA was right, this dude ****ing sucks

JensK
02-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Your arrogance is beginning to cloud any credibility that you think you have. I don't think the Steelers FO is the best ever, or the best presently. I do think they are better at their jobs than you are. Maybe you should get a job in an NFL front office and spread your knowledge around. My point is you can't say someone is a bust after one season in which the player was not given an opportunity to start. In the NFL, there have been plenty of examples of players that didn't blossom until year 2 or 3. Hood may end up a bust, but you can't say that he definitely will be after one season.

While i partly agree with you about giving hood some time, you are wrong about him not given the chance. He got all the freaking chances in the world, and he could not beat two backups when Smith went down. He is a first round player, and he shoulda been able to beat those two for the first backup spot. He was our 4th choice.

K Train
02-08-2010, 05:26 PM
ill give him time, what choice to i have? i just dont expect much if anything

JensK
02-08-2010, 05:32 PM
ill give him time, what choice to i have? i just dont expect much if anything

I guess you can only be pleasant surprised then :lol:

tburg68
02-08-2010, 05:51 PM
i look forward to you being disappointed a few years down the line and thinking wow that ******* on SA was right, this dude ****ing sucks

Are you rooting more for the Steelers to suceed, or for your opinion to be proven right? Again, I am not saying that the Steelers FO haven't had their share of misses in the draft. I'm not saying they are or have been the best in the draft. Again my point is that it is too early to pronounce a player from the 2009 draft a bust.

I can respect your draft research, and your opinions, most of which I actually agree with. But the fact remains that NO ONE including the Steelers FO or you for that matter can pronounce Hood a bust as of now.

K Train
02-08-2010, 05:59 PM
i wont call him a bust but he has high bust potential as a 34 end....i think hes a failure waiting to happen being forced to play that position, i would be thrilled to have him if i were the colts, the seahawks, the texans, the redskins, the falcons, the bucs, hell even the patriots.

but we, dallas, and the dolphins play a pretty by the book 34, hes not a by the book 34END, he could do ok in the gimmicky 34 **** the cards and niners run....thats just where i see his abilities being used right.

i had an opinion on hood long before we drafted him, i thought him going to the colts in the first would have been perfect, but they had to take a backup RB and now were stuck with him

tburg68
02-08-2010, 06:25 PM
i wont call him a bust but he has high bust potential as a 34 end....i think hes a failure waiting to happen being forced to play that position, i would be thrilled to have him if i were the colts, the seahawks, the texans, the redskins, the falcons, the bucs, hell even the patriots.

but we, dallas, and the dolphins play a pretty by the book 34, hes not a by the book 34END, he could do ok in the gimmicky 34 **** the cards and niners run....thats just where i see his abilities being used right.

i had an opinion on hood long before we drafted him, i thought him going to the colts in the first would have been perfect, but they had to take a backup RB and now were stuck with him

Side note, do you think there is anyway Bulaga is still there at 18. I can't stand the thought of Starks as the Steelers LT anymore, and I don't see the Steelers starting a rookie at LT if they don't get one in the first round.

K Train
02-08-2010, 06:28 PM
i think he will be widely considered the 2nd best OT, maybe 3rd best if anthony davis can blow people away but okung is the top overall. but the raiders do pick before us and bruce campbell could easily be there pick, hes like 6-7 310 and runs a 4.9 which is amazing.

i think trent williams has entrenched himself as an only RT so while i remain hopeful bulaga will be there at 18, i doubt it

JollyRob68
02-09-2010, 12:12 AM
pouncey is not the typical "versatile" linemen...hes a center

Actually Pouncey played Right guard then switched to center. His brother is doing the same thing this year,switching to Center. I also like Jon Asamoah. What do you think about Asamoah? He may slip due to the injured shoulder.

K Train
02-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Actually Pouncey played Right guard then switched to center. His brother is doing the same thing this year,switching to Center. I also like Jon Asamoah. What do you think about Asamoah? He may slip due to the injured shoulder.

i know...but hes not like some of the other bum as "versatile" guys weve seen, hes not like sean mahan whos supposed to do it all but do it all really means hes good at nothing.

Zachintosh66
02-09-2010, 12:30 AM
i know...but hes not like some of the other bum as "versatile" guys weve seen, hes not like sean mahan whos supposed to do it all but do it all really means hes good at nothing.

Cough STAPLETON Cough