PDA

View Full Version : Count Cowher among those who should go...

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-28-2006, 12:48 PM
I don't necessarily agree ,but an interesting read....

Gene Collier: Count Cowher among those who should go
Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Got the Steelers game wrong Sunday.

I thought they'd lose, 30-0.

Maybe you saw a hopeful and heroic fourth quarter in Cleveland the previous week, 21 points that alchemized a 24-20 victory; I saw a team that was so much like the Browns as to be barely distinguishable from them, barely above pathetic.

That a twitching Steelers offense cowered -- or is it Cowhered? -- at the approach of Sunday's raucous Ravens beating wasn't terribly surprising, although it was a minor annoyance that Baltimore lost interest at 27-0.

Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan was just slightly wrong as well.

"Pittsburgh is no run-of-the-mill team," he said.

That's supposed to be a compliment and, although I'd also be inclined to argue that the Steelers are a run-of-the-mill team, the fact is, the mill closed Sunday. The last shift filed out about 4 p.m. A skeleton crew will work the laundry through five meaningless season-ending cycles, but basically, the 2006 Steelers are a boarded-up gates-locked eyesore.

It's time to scrawl some graffiti and whip rocks through the windows.

With an eye on the 2007 edition of what is still one of sports' elite franchises, the fact is that the Steelers can plainly do without a number of the people who less than 10 months ago were some of the components, some vital, of a Super Bowl champion.

Foremost among them would be whoever that is walking around disguised as Bill Cowher.

Of all the relatively serious implications of Sunday's Ravens rollover, none was more important than the Steelers' demeanor at their moment of truth. They were sluggish, unfocused, even feckless, meaning that after 15 years as one of the NFL's best motivators with a well-deserved and effectively deployed reputation as a player's coach, Cowher could find nothing in his psychological bag to adequately prepare this team for the 60 minutes in which the season hung in the balance.

Maybe that's because, along with his other bags, his psychological bag is packed for North Carolina. Normally Cowher is an intense stew of emotions, at least on game day, but this season, a passersby who had once just hoped to avoid the spittle is now more likely to hear the unsung James Taylor lyrics:

In my mind, I'm goin' to Carolina.
Can't ya just feel the sunshine
Can't you just feel the moonshine
Maybe just like a friend of mine
It hit me from behind
Yes I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind.

If there are guest quarters at the $2.5 million home the head coach has purchased in North Carolina, perhaps special teams coach Kevin Spencer could crash there while he pursues employment elsewhere. Spencer may be the best special teams coach in the known universe, but his players have rewarded him with not only the kind of performance that gets people in that niche position fired, but the most ridiculous special teams autumn in memory.

"These next five games should mean a lot to the guys on this team," Hines Ward said. "We're going to find out who will be here next year. We'll find out who will keep practicing hard and keep working hard. We have to keep working and keep fighting.

"We will find out a lot of about the character of our team in the next few weeks."

You'd better hope it's better than the things we found out in the past few weeks, things such as that Najeh Davenport, despite what Cowher calls "great body lean," is of little utility on this team, especially returning kicks. The only question there is, if Davenport actually broke one some Sunday, would he get to the end zone Monday or Tuesday.

We've also seen mounds of evidence that much like in 2003, Cowher's previous losing season, the offensive line is suddenly a foundation gone squishy. When you can't run, you can't throw under anything but relentless pressure, and when you can't stay on the field, your defense, no matter how accomplished, will tire and fail. Jeff Hartings, Kendall Simmons and Max Starks are no longer strengths.

"I can't get mad at the linemen," Ben Roethlisberger said. "They did a good job."

In the Steelers game?

With nine sacks and 22 yards rushing, perhaps Bart Scott hit Roethlisberger even harder than we thought.

Between now and the time the mill reopens, someone will have to figure out what people like Joey Porter and Clark Haggans and Cedrick Wilson and Nate Washington are bringing to this unbalanced equation as well.

Smells like a job for the next head coach.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06332/741748-150.stm

AZ_Steeler
11-28-2006, 12:59 PM
There are a lot of unanswered questions and finger pointing about who should stay and who goes. I still firmly believe Cowher will return next year because he is not going to want to go out on these terms (IMO).

As for this dudes comments about Ben getting hit harder than we thought... what does he want Ben to do, call out his o-line like Manning did the AFCD game last year!!! Ben has a little more class than that and he's not about pointing fingers and saying the line sucked! Ben always takes the high road and is full of class and respects his teammates.

This is a very valid point
someone will have to figure out what people like Joey Porter and Clark Haggans and Cedrick Wilson and Nate Washington are bringing to this unbalanced equation as well.

Porter has done a whole lot of nothing this year as well as Wilson. Washington will return because like others have said this is basically his rookie season. No matter who returns in 07 this team will come out of the gates strong and send a message to the league!

SteelersfaninPhilly
11-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Gene Collier: Count Cowher among those who should go

Tuesday, November 28, 2006
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Got the Steelers game wrong Sunday.

I thought they'd lose, 30-0.

Maybe you saw a hopeful and heroic fourth quarter in Cleveland the previous week, 21 points that alchemized a 24-20 victory; I saw a team that was so much like the Browns as to be barely distinguishable from them, barely above pathetic.

That a twitching Steelers offense cowered -- or is it Cowhered? -- at the approach of Sunday's raucous Ravens beating wasn't terribly surprising, although it was a minor annoyance that Baltimore lost interest at 27-0.

Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan was just slightly wrong as well.

"Pittsburgh is no run-of-the-mill team," he said.

That's supposed to be a compliment and, although I'd also be inclined to argue that the Steelers are a run-of-the-mill team, the fact is, the mill closed Sunday. The last shift filed out about 4 p.m. A skeleton crew will work the laundry through five meaningless season-ending cycles, but basically, the 2006 Steelers are a boarded-up gates-locked eyesore.

It's time to scrawl some graffiti and whip rocks through the windows.

With an eye on the 2007 edition of what is still one of sports' elite franchises, the fact is that the Steelers can plainly do without a number of the people who less than 10 months ago were some of the components, some vital, of a Super Bowl champion.

Foremost among them would be whoever that is walking around disguised as Bill Cowher.

Of all the relatively serious implications of Sunday's Ravens rollover, none was more important than the Steelers' demeanor at their moment of truth. They were sluggish, unfocused, even feckless, meaning that after 15 years as one of the NFL's best motivators with a well-deserved and effectively deployed reputation as a player's coach, Cowher could find nothing in his psychological bag to adequately prepare this team for the 60 minutes in which the season hung in the balance.

Maybe that's because, along with his other bags, his psychological bag is packed for North Carolina. Normally Cowher is an intense stew of emotions, at least on game day, but this season, a passersby who had once just hoped to avoid the spittle is now more likely to hear the unsung James Taylor lyrics:

In my mind, I'm goin' to Carolina.
Can't ya just feel the sunshine
Can't you just feel the moonshine
Maybe just like a friend of mine
It hit me from behind
Yes I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind.

If there are guest quarters at the $2.5 million home the head coach has purchased in North Carolina, perhaps special teams coach Kevin Spencer could crash there while he pursues employment elsewhere. Spencer may be the best special teams coach in the known universe, but his players have rewarded him with not only the kind of performance that gets people in that niche position fired, but the most ridiculous special teams autumn in memory.

"These next five games should mean a lot to the guys on this team," Hines Ward said. "We're going to find out who will be here next year. We'll find out who will keep practicing hard and keep working hard. We have to keep working and keep fighting.

"We will find out a lot of about the character of our team in the next few weeks."

You'd better hope it's better than the things we found out in the past few weeks, things such as that Najeh Davenport, despite what Cowher calls "great body lean," is of little utility on this team, especially returning kicks. The only question there is, if Davenport actually broke one some Sunday, would he get to the end zone Monday or Tuesday.

We've also seen mounds of evidence that much like in 2003, Cowher's previous losing season, the offensive line is suddenly a foundation gone squishy. When you can't run, you can't throw under anything but relentless pressure, and when you can't stay on the field, your defense, no matter how accomplished, will tire and fail. Jeff Hartings, Kendall Simmons and Max Starks are no longer strengths.

"I can't get mad at the linemen," Ben Roethlisberger said. "They did a good job."

In the Steelers game?

With nine sacks and 22 yards rushing, perhaps Bart Scott hit Roethlisberger even harder than we thought.

Between now and the time the mill reopens, someone will have to figure out what people like Joey Porter and Clark Haggans and Cedrick Wilson and Nate Washington are bringing to this unbalanced equation as well.

Smells like a job for the next head coach.