PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Graham Dominates

BlackGold4vr
01-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Anyone else watch the senior bowl? If you did you couldn't have missed the performance put in by Brandon Graham who ended up as the games MVP. The dude looks like the next Lamar Woodley. He plays DE but easily converts to a 3-4 OLB. Incredibly strong and fast he was giving the tackles fits. I would have to add this guy to the list of players I would love to see in black and gold.

:helmet:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-31-2010, 11:39 AM
Anyone else watch the senior bowl? If you did you couldn't have missed the performance put in by Brandon Graham who ended up as the games MVP. The dude looks like the next Lamar Woodley. He plays DE but easily converts to a 3-4 OLB. Incredibly strong and fast he was giving the tackles fits. I would have to add this guy to the list of players I would love to see in black and gold.

:helmet:

He was on my list before the Senior Bowl.......But I was hoping we would be able to get him in the second round like we did Woodley.......But after this performance and the combine I'm sure Graham has moved into the late first round......

This is my stance on the first round after Thomas, Bulaga, and Davis I would prefer the Steelers to trade down if those three are gone......So either Graham or Pouncey would be fine with me with a trade down......

darnik44
01-31-2010, 11:54 AM
I love Graham too, but what would we do with him? I'm all for adding depth, but with the 18th overall pick I think they need to land a guy who can start within 2 years. It would be a different case if they didn't throw away a high pick on Lawrence Timmons, and then throw away their first round pick on Ziggy Hood. Mark my words, Hood will make fewer than 15 career starts as a Steeler unless they switch to a Tampa 2.

Dan Williams right now is probably the most probable pick, if he's even still there. I wouldn't rule out the possibility the Steelers could trade up for Williams.

kjbman1
01-31-2010, 12:27 PM
I couldn't disagree with you more darnik. Hood flashed some really nice skills when he was on the field this year. He is fine at DE in a 3-4 and he will at least double your projected starts.

Timmons is a splash play guy and Tomlin loves those guys. I think he was miscast in Footes spot though and should really be playing Farriors spot. I don't believe that he is the type of guy to stick his nose in the pile but I don't think he can wreak havoc in coverage and blitz.

I watched the senior bowl and liked what I saw of Dan Williams but he was seen as an early second round guy before it and I don't think he gained much on that at the senior bowl. One game will not move a guy from 2nd round to high first round grades on most team boards. Al Davis does that but he is in the minority.

The Steelers will either trade down or go BPA for the first round. This team caught the injury bug this year at several key positions because of age. They can afford to take any level of the Defense, Offensive Line or even RB in round 1 this year. I prefer they trade down and pickup an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick. The Defensive talent in this draft is really good and we should try to get as many picks in the first 3 rounds as possible.

BlackGold4vr
01-31-2010, 12:36 PM
Graham is a guy who could begin taking reps with the starters from day one. Farrior is how old (35)? You could bring Harrison inside and put Graham on the field opposite Woodley. Our depth at linebacker sucks. Except for Fox I'm not comfortable with anybody else taking reps with the starting defense in a game. I am not hoping we draft Graham. He is probably 4 or 5th on my wish list. I still want a Bulaga/Davis in the first and a Pouncey in the second. We need to fix an offensive line that can't come through on those third and fourth and inches. We can no longer take the air out of the ball with a lead because of our inability to sustain drives through a running game. That needs to be fixed FIRST! :2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Graham is a guy who could begin taking reps with the starters from day one. Farrior is how old (35)? You could bring Harrison inside and put Graham on the field opposite Woodley. Our depth at linebacker sucks. Except for Fox I'm not comfortable with anybody else taking reps with the starting defense in a game. I am not hoping we draft Graham. He is probably 4 or 5th on my wish list. I still want a Bulaga/Davis in the first and a Pouncey in the second. We need to fix an offensive line that can't come through on those third and fourth and inches. We can no longer take the air out of the ball with a lead because of our inability to sustain drives through a running game. That needs to be fixed FIRST! :2cents:

You can never have enough pass rushers period.....Plus if Harrison or Woodley go down for any period of time then this team would be screwed....So I wouldn't complain if Graham was drafted....

I'm with you on Bulaga and Davis.....I also wouldn't object to Bruce Campbell either....great name by the name.....

Pouncey won't be there when we pick in the 2nd....I think he will be drafted in late first round and he will be better then Wood or Mack from last years class......

BlackGold4vr
01-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Just since starting this thread Scout.com has moved Graham from 25th overall to 15th. You might say his play at the senior bowl has helped him immensely! :lol:

Looks like Graham could be this years B.J. Raji or Amobi Akoye (guys whose play at the senior bowl helped propel their stock in the draft)

darnik44
01-31-2010, 04:25 PM

So you would take one of the leagues elite pass rushers and line him up at ILB?

BlackGold4vr
01-31-2010, 04:39 PM
So you would take one of the leagues elite pass rushers and line him up at ILB?

You betcha. Have you seen how effective Farrior is on blitzes? You could call him the invisible man when he blitzes. Do you want to argue that our depth at linebacker is non-existent? Is that a good thing or a bad thing in a 3-4 scheme? Just checkin. :thinking:

K Train
01-31-2010, 06:20 PM
harrison is kind of old so i wouldnt have a problem with graham.

i agree with you on hood he will be known as an immense failure.

i would ****ing hate the dan williams pick at this time

coldrolled
01-31-2010, 09:02 PM
Just since starting this thread Scout.com has moved Graham from 25th overall to 15th. You might say his play at the senior bowl has helped him immensely! :lol:

Looks like Graham could be this years B.J. Raji or Amobi Akoye (guys whose play at the senior bowl helped propel their stock in the draft)

We will have great options to pick from at #18 its an easy pick...

the #52 spot is the real important one that will make our draft for 2010 really great with a good pick.

darnik44
02-01-2010, 06:40 AM
You betcha. Have you seen how effective Farrior is on blitzes? You could call him the invisible man when he blitzes. Do you want to argue that our depth at linebacker is non-existent? Is that a good thing or a bad thing in a 3-4 scheme? Just checkin. :thinking:

It's nice when your ILB is able to blitz (the 2 or 3 times per game it's called), but the whole premise of the 3-4 is built around pass rushing OLB's. You would take the leagues 2nd best (at worst, and 1 season removed for being defensive player of the year) 3-4 OLB and move him inside to make a place for an untested rookie.

Well that won't happen.

What could happen is a switch to the Tampa 2 though. If that happens or is the plan in the near future, Graham is a possibility. I'd be cool with Woodley and Graham as the DE's in a Tampa 2. Both would probably be at their best with their hand in the ground.

--- Added 2/1/2010 at 05:34 AM ---

harrison is kind of old so i wouldnt have a problem with graham.

i agree with you on hood he will be known as an immense failure.

i would ****ing hate the dan williams pick at this time

I really don't understand why and how you couldn't like Dan Williams. I was sort of iffy when he was weighing 310, now he's 329 and a terrific all week long at the Senior Bowl. He is so comparable to Albert Haynesworth when he was at Tennessee it's not even funny.

--- Added 2/1/2010 at 05:37 AM ---

That's why Scout.com is a joke. They always make the moves after the fact and can't anticipate anything. I've had Graham 13th for months, and had Jared Odrick as a top 15 prospect since this time last year. Scout.com's rankings are the rankings of some 22ish year old kid. He hasn't seen enough football or enough drafts to have a clue.

The great Scott Wright has Graham rated the 8th best DE, lol.

WalterFootball has him as the 5th best DE.

KFFL has him 5th among DE's

--- Added 2/1/2010 at 05:40 AM ---

I couldn't disagree with you more darnik. Hood flashed some really nice skills when he was on the field this year. He is fine at DE in a 3-4 and he will at least double your projected starts.

On passing downs from a 4 man front. That's where he can be good. The problem is, we drafted him to play 3-4 DE. Even with injuries and a lack of depth at DE Hood couldn't get on the field. He's a classic one gap player, and a 3-4 DE has to be a two gap player.

K Train
02-01-2010, 08:59 AM
i loved dan williams when he was a 4th round prospect, now ive gone sour on him since im not crazy about him as a first round prospet let alone one at 18.

darnik44
02-01-2010, 10:21 AM
i loved dan williams when he was a 4th round prospect, now ive gone sour on him since im not crazy about him as a first round prospet let alone one at 18.

I still don't see why. He has the potential to be one of the best NT's in the league. His style of play is ideal, and unlike recent draft picks I think he could play early on.

coldrolled
02-01-2010, 01:17 PM

how about this...

18. Taylor Mays, S, USC or Earl Thomas if available.

52. Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky, 6-1 , 179 lbs. or Terrence Cody AL , if available.

3rd - 5th rounds OL..

K Train
02-01-2010, 01:27 PM
how about this...

18. Taylor Mays, S, USC or Earl Thomas if available.

52. Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky, 6-1 , 179 lbs. or Terrence Cody AL , if available.

3rd - 5th rounds OL..
i think i would disown the steelers with mays

cody is still a first round pick, the man cant be moved...like actually cant be put off course

there will be better CBs than lindley at 52....lindley is like the 15th best corner this year and a 5th round pick

we have alot of 3rd-5th round talent for linemen as it is....they need a star, not a project/career backup guard

coldrolled
02-01-2010, 01:56 PM
i think i would disown the steelers with mays

cody is still a first round pick, the man cant be moved...like actually cant be put off course

there will be better CBs than lindley at 52....lindley is like the 15th best corner this year and a 5th round pick

we have alot of 3rd-5th round talent for linemen as it is....they need a star, not a project/career backup guard

i know but if bulaga and davis and campbell or not there.. the rest are not instant starters either.

iupati looked beaten on all his plays this weekend. i think he hurt himself more than helped. he was holding and beat alot.

i still feel with mays you have a potential LB and FS and S

with thomas you have potentiall at CB and Safety.

Think Gay and Carter.. we need these guys...

Cody looked good on the plays they actually ran at him, he was double covered alot.
He was scored on on the goal line. But is he versatile like some other.. Dan Williams??

With Cody they ran around him mostly during the game, which is a good sign.

Eric Olsen held his own at Center.. hes a 52 pick.

darnik44
02-01-2010, 02:38 PM
i know but if bulaga and davis and campbell or not there.. the rest are not instant starters either.

iupati looked beaten on all his plays this weekend. i think he hurt himself more than helped. he was holding and beat alot.

i still feel with mays you have a potential LB and FS and S

with thomas you have potentiall at CB and Safety.

Think Gay and Carter.. we need these guys...

Cody looked good on the plays they actually ran at him, he was double covered alot.
He was scored on on the goal line. But is he versatile like some other.. Dan Williams??

With Cody they ran around him mostly during the game, which is a good sign.

Eric Olsen held his own at Center.. hes a 52 pick.

You seem to lack a grasp of the Steelers defensive scheme. If the Steelers NT needs double teamed, win defense. How much versatility would you like out of your NT? Would you prefer one of those pass rushing nose tackles?

Which linebacker spot do you project Taylor Mays to play in the Steelers 3-4 defense?

coldrolled
02-01-2010, 03:42 PM
You seem to lack a grasp of the Steelers defensive scheme. If the Steelers NT needs double teamed, win defense. How much versatility would you like out of your NT? Would you prefer one of those pass rushing nose tackles?

Which linebacker spot do you project Taylor Mays to play in the Steelers 3-4 defense?

i grasp that... we have Casey and cody i dont think is as versatile... thats all... mays and thomas and bulaga can be more versatile. mays as a LB would be a training program. he has the size...

cody is not a first rounder for us. i bet he is there at #52..

this was a good read...

http://www.draftace.com/blog/dates/02012010.htm

Black@Gold Forever32
02-01-2010, 04:53 PM
The Steelers are not switching to a 4-3 even when LeBeau retires.......Of course the ILB doesn't blitz a ton in this defense but they do at times........Plus when Kendrell Bell was playing ILB for the Steelers he blitzed a ton......So moving Harrison inside wouldn't be total waste.....My question is forget all the talk about Harrison inside......What about another OLB behind both Woodley and Harrison?....There isn't much behind those two.....So adding a pass rusher like Graham even in the first round would be a smart move.....But I don't expect the Steelers to draft an OLB in the first......

JensK
02-01-2010, 05:05 PM
I think it would be a smart move to address OLB at some point, but not in the first. We have too many glaring needs right now.

darnik44
02-01-2010, 05:59 PM
i grasp that... we have Casey and cody i dont think is as versatile... thats all... mays and thomas and bulaga can be more versatile. mays as a LB would be a training program. he has the size...

cody is not a first rounder for us. i bet he is there at #52..

this was a good read...

http://www.draftace.com/blog/dates/02012010.htm

Mays could not be a LB for us. It doesn't sound like you realize what type of personel a 3-4 defense requires.

How is Casey Hampton versatile?

coldrolled
02-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Mays could not be a LB for us. It doesn't sound like you realize what type of personel a 3-4 defense requires.

How is Casey Hampton versatile?

Well..

Casey is already on the team, so we dont need an NT right now. thats what im saying.

Mays, is taller and the same weight as timmons and basically taller and a 10lb lighter than farrior... So i guess he is the same size as our ILB's

would he not fit there?

darnik44
02-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Well..

Casey is already on the team, so we dont need an NT right now. thats what im saying.

Mays, is taller and the same weight as timmons and basically taller and a 10lb lighter than farrior... So i guess he is the same size as our ILB's

would he not fit there?

Technically Casey is on the team for only a few more weeks. He is due to be a free agent. There are reports they plan to resign him, but he is 33.

No Mays isn't a fit. Neither is Timmons for that matter.

coldrolled
02-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Technically Casey is on the team for only a few more weeks. He is due to be a free agent. There are reports they plan to resign him, but he is 33.

No Mays isn't a fit. Neither is Timmons for that matter.

but like keenan and burnett. they are CB's who fit in ST

Mays is a S who could play LB because of his size.... not that you want him too. he is just versatile and probably good at ST too.

I hope we actually draft Bulaga OT or anthony davis or earl thomas #1 and get a center at #2 .. we can get a top center pick at the #2 spot.

K Train
02-02-2010, 02:43 PM
but like keenan and burnett. they are CB's who fit in ST

Mays is a S who could play LB because of his size.... not that you want him too. he is just versatile and probably good at ST too.

I hope we actually draft Bulaga OT or anthony davis or earl thomas #1 and get a center at #2 .. we can get a top center pick at the #2 spot.

what exactly do you like about lewis and burnett? i think they both kind of suck in their own ways. one profiles as a NB at best and the other is more like a FS and not a very good one imo

mays might be good on ST, but thats he cant be playing LB in a 34 and wouldnt even be that good as a WILL in a 43 unless he put on like 15 pounds.....he would get gobbled up in most front 7s and torched in most secondaries....maybe im being harsh but i really think he sucks

coldrolled
02-02-2010, 04:21 PM
what exactly do you like about lewis and burnett? i think they both kind of suck in their own ways. one profiles as a NB at best and the other is more like a FS and not a very good one imo

mays might be good on ST, but thats he cant be playing LB in a 34 and wouldnt even be that good as a WILL in a 43 unless he put on like 15 pounds.....he would get gobbled up in most front 7s and torched in most secondaries....maybe im being harsh but i really think he sucks

We used 3rd round picks for the CB's last year and they are on our team. just a fact...

I didnt say i liked them at CB, i never saw them play in a steeler game at CB. i cant tell you how good they are in the NFL at CB. Hopefully they can beat out Gay. That we all saw. i forget.. was lewis or keenan the speedster like wallace?

Mays would be a project in many areas.

like i said. Davis or Earl Thomas would be cool to have as a #1. Then Bulaga best for us if earl is gone. and then a center at #2.. i like bulaga and the center idea, iupati sucked up in the senior bowl, he may move down to our #2.

We will get to see mays for many years on some team or teams.

who do you like??

andyg1984
02-02-2010, 10:22 PM
who is keenan lewis? jk ... i think burnett could be a solid NB a couple years from now .. what do you not like (aside from the obvious of course.. doh!) ?